• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrating Fifteen Years of Final Fantasy XI

Toth

Just a happy reminder that FFXI, which is still likely the most profitable FF ever, is still going on fairly well and even gets new content / events / campaigns / things -to-do every month. Today, the producer shared this:

Well met, adventurers!

Today we celebrate 15th years since FINAL FANTASY XI first opened its doors. When I think of what fifteen years mean, I picture watching your newborn child getting their learners' permit. Like all long paths, there have been a few bumps along the way, but we have been able to continue for the past decade and a half thanks to your steadfast support and dedicated. Words are not enough to express my gratitude.

Fifteen years.
I hope that the time you have spent in Vana'diel has been filled with wonderful experiences and memories. We're working harder than ever to continue to provide fresh experiences so that all adventurers will be able to enjoy even more exciting times into the future.

This post is accompanied by other announcements of various events and campaigns starting on Tuesday, May 16.

In the 15th Anniversary The One I Can Trust Campaign, we're trying our hands at something the likes of which you've never seen; as part of this event, we'll be asking you to decide upon a new alter ego that you'd like to bring with you on your adventures throughout Vana'diel. I've always been partial to Aphmau, so I plan on spending the year with her by my side.

The My Little Shadow Lord Campaign lets adventurers get their hands on a replica of the Shadow Lord to "watch over" their mog house?a perfect opportunity for the beastmen lovers among you!

We're also holding the Return Home to Vana'diel and Discount Campaigns this year. If any of your friends are curious as to what Vana'diel looks like in 2017, now's the perfect time to bring them back! Memories are all the sweeter when you have friends to share them with!

We've also got more stuff prepared, such as the stylish Onion Sword II for go-getters, available in the 15th Vana'versary Mog Bonanza, and the 15th Anniversary Quiz for the Ages special event.

But the events don't stop there. We're also preparing 15th anniversary Records of Eminence objectives and Vana'diel Day events, the details of which will be made available on the official forums in just a few short days. We're planning on going back to basics, and discussions in meetings about these events have often centered on nostalgia for the original release of FINAL FANTASY XI.

This year also marks the 30th anniversary of the FINAL FANTASY series. We can't let so momentous an occasion pass us by, so we've also prepared some equipment that fans of the series will surely recognize. There are a variety of ways of getting your hands on them, and we hope you find one that best suits your needs.

At risk of letting my message to you all get to long, let me finally express my satisfaction at the amount of content we've been able to bring you. The development team shrunk in the last year, and although we were aware that we wouldn't be able to make any major content additions, we were able to implement both Ambuscade and Omen, and, if I may be so bold, we are very proud of the work we have done. In this, the 15th year of FINAL FANTASY XI, we remain ever committed bringing you a variety of battle content and more within the coming twelve months.

The development and operations team will continue to work as hard as ever so that those new to Vana'diel can experience all that has to offer and that veterans will be able to enjoy each new day of adventures more than the last. Here's to fifteen years of Vana'diel, and to fifteen more!

Akihiko Matsui
Producer, FINAL FANTASY XI

I can't believe it's been so long since it all began. Started with the beta and never stopped.

There has never been a better time to take the plunge if you're interested. Getting to 99 is MUCH faster and tons of systems and campaigns can help. Plus SE has finally started making endgame events that are longer lasting and actually built upon past content (i.e artifact armor +2/3). Here's what's going on now:

Welcome Home Campaign:

During the campaign period, those who have subscribed to PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI service in the past are eligible to play FINAL FANTASY XI for free of charge! Experience the world of Vana'diel now with a variety of new content that has been added throughout the fifteen years of development, along with many system improvements to match your playstyle!
Campaign Period
From Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 1:00 a.m. to Monday,
May 29, 2017 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb

Free 14-Day Trial:
https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...579.557605126.1494954202-990221982.1494161658

The 15th Vana'versary Adventurer Appreciation Campaign
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15488/detail.html

There's also free login for all players for the duration of the appreciation campaign I believe.

Thanks! I added it.

Vashetti

Banned
Whatever happened to that mobile version they announced?

What's going to happen when this inevitably goes offline? Are SE really going to let a mainline FF game be lost forever?

zelas

I'd like to look back fondly on my experience but their customer service was shit throughout my 5 year run with the game. I tried to check out the game a a few years ago and had an equally shitty time just trying to access my still active account.

True Fire

I hope they bite the bullet and convert it into a single player game. Or an MMO Lite, idk. I don't want a numbered Final Fantasy to disappear from history.

Marcel

I'd like to look back fondly on my experience but their customer service was shit throughout my 5 year run with the game. I tried to check out the game a a few years ago and had an equally shitty time just trying to access my still active account.

Don't worry, SE's customer service with regards to online Final Fantasy games is still shit. Some things never change!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I wish they'd repeat that huge sale on the game + all expansions that they did about a year ago.

Qasiel

Damn, bringing back the memories. I wonder how my wyvern, Rygor, is doing? I miss that cute little bastard.

daveo42

Banned
Man, I kind of wish my old character still existed on Leviathan. Haven't touched the game in almost 12 years.

Apeboy

Was in that one of the first NA teams. Best static group I've been a part of in any game but the game eventually won and tuned us into broken hulks of our former selfs. So many awesome and fun times in the game but I haven't been quite right since and have never sunk any time into a mmo since.

Aeana

I love this game so much. I occasionally return, but it usually doesn't take me long to realize that I am literally a decade behind everyone else and I get overwhelmed at the idea of catching up, so I fizzle out. They may have made things way easier, but there's still a metric ton of individual things to do to catch up.

I started last night as a new player and ohhhhh man have those controls and UI aged poorly. I'm excited to see the stories but even just figuring out how to start them is confusing.

My favorite game. Just thinking about it makes me want to come back. Was playing Threads of Fate last night and one of the songs (gamul forest) totally reminded me of some of FF XI's music.

Last thing I did was finish CoP and start up Aht Urghan missions. I love being able to essentially play it as a single player game via trusts. I like to do things at or under leveled so I don't just plow through everything at lv99.

Pejo

I love this game so much. I occasionally return, but it usually doesn't take me long to realize that I am literally a decade behind everyone else and I get overwhelmed at the idea of catching up, so I fizzle out. They may have made things way easier, but there's still a metric ton of individual things to do to catch up.

I get what you mean. For me, it's the fact that when I log in to these campaigns, and open my friend list, and it's empty. Just sucks out all the urge to play. I'd say after the 3rd or 4th year I played, what kept me around were my linkshells and friends. I wish I had a way to get in touch with all of them again to get everybody back online for the free login, but I have no way to contact them outside of POL messages (lol).

My favorite game. Just thinking about it makes me want to come back. Was playing Threads of Fate last night and one of the songs (gamul forest) totally reminded me of some of FF XI's music.

Last thing I did was finish CoP and start up Aht Urghan missions. I love being able to essentially play it as a single player game via trusts. I like to do things at or under leveled so I don't just plow through everything at lv99.

My favorite gaming experience of all time, and overall probably my favorite game too.

Last time I put significant time into the game a few years ago, a BST buddy and I (thf/dnc) would go solo dynamis to try to get him enough currency for a relic. It was super relaxing and yet fun, as I was collecting some old AF2 I never got in the glory days.

Come to think of it, I think I'm at the Alex fight on ToAU story line, never even tried it yet. I should come back and do that.

Any of you guys play on Asura? Wouldn't mind a new linkshell when I log in.

Riposte

As much as I'd like to, I can't make myself return to the game. It's changed too much and everyone I knew is probably gone. I rather keep my image of it in tact rather than see an emotionally empty version of it where leveling parties don't even exist. Do want to do that final expansion's storyline one day though.

exploration in XI was so great/infuriating. throwing on some sneak and invisible to get to your exp camp only to have an NM with true sight (fuck you guivre) aggro someone and then cause havoc in the area.

chains of promathia is one of the best gaming experiences i've ever had, and sky/sea are some of the best areas i've ever explored. sea's music is really good too

daveo42

Banned
Leviathan ftw.

I was playing around that time too.

Back in the good ole loldrg days...

Memories.

God, I remember when they absolutely nerfed the shit out of drg by changing up how damage worked with multi-strike tp moves. Pentathrust was baller up to that nerf...then all the drg turned into RNGs or just jumped to another class all together. Then when that RNG nerf came, LOL.

God, I remember when they absolutely nerfed the shit out of drg by changing up how damage worked with multi-strike tp moves. Pentathrust was baller up to that nerf...then all the drg turned into RNGs or just jumped to another class all together. Then when that RNG nerf came, LOL.

I stuck with drg to 75.

Then I took a naked bard to 75 so I could grind for my drgs items and stats.

I don't think I was too famous on leviathan though. My guy was named Dyluck.

Shout out to secret of mana.

Holla!

ZetaEpyon

As much as I'd like to, I can't make myself return to the game. It's changed too much and everyone I knew is probably gone. I rather keep my image of it in tact rather than see an emotionally empty version of it where leveling parties don't even exist. Do want to do that final expansion's storyline one day though.

Leveling parties have returned in the form of capacity points parties.

There are different styles, but the most popular is to find a camp spot, have someone pull mobs, and slaughter them for hours. Sounds familiar, no?

daveo42

Banned
I stuck with drg to 75.

Then I took a naked bard to 75 so I could grind for my drgs items and stats.

I don't think I was too famous on leviathan though. My guy was named Dyluck.

Shout out to secret of mana.

Holla!

Good man. I knew and regularly partied with a guy who took DRG to 75. I think Lionheart was his name. Good dude. Probably best DRG on the server at the time, but he also was supposedly one of the first in NA to hit cap back in the day, i think with PLD.

EDIT HOLY SHIT I RECOGNIZE THAT NAME

Edit 2: I was a whm on the server by the name of Esmerlda. Not all that well known either, but had a small group I stuck with after our HNMLS broke up and only a select few were "chosen" for the large server shell.

Good man. I knew and regularly partied with a guy who took DRG to 75. I think Lionheart was his name. Good dude. Probably best DRG on the server at the time, but he also was supposedly one of the first in NA to hit cap back in the day, i think with PLD.

EDIT HOLY SHIT I RECOGNIZE THAT NAME

Lionheart was a cool dude. I think he helped me out early on.

But I remember having a hard time getting my drg to the max level after the penta nerf.

It got so annoying.

Thankfully I got through that initial wall.

I did love my naked bard tho.

No item equipped other than a lv 2 flute.

I'd get to a party.

"Uhm, where's your gear."

"Don't got none. I can leave if you want."

"Got (insert party song)?"

"Yup."

...."nah. Come sing for us naked guy. Just keep the buffs up."

~

Meanwhile my drg was always optimally geared.

Oh the irony!

daveo42

Banned
Lionheart was a cool dude. I think he helped me out early on.

But I remember having a hard time getting my drg to the max level after the penta nerf.

It got so annoying.

Thankfully I got through that initial wall.

I did love my naked bard tho.

No item equipped other than a lv 2 flute.

I'd get to a party.

"Uhm, where's your gear."

"Don't got none. I can leave if you want."

"Got (insert party song)?"

"Yup."

...."nah. Come sing for us naked guy. Just keep the buffs up."

~

Meanwhile my drg was always optimally geared.

Oh the irony!

BRD was an end game staple if you had haste march and refresh march or w/e. Also that chocobo song was hilarious and great. WHM turned into a haste rotation bot at end game, especially for DRK, SAM, and DRG. Lionheart was a good dude. Wish I knew what happened to him. He helped me through some shit back in the day through chat.

I wish I could remember more of names of ppl I met through the game. Like there was a mom (RDM) I partied with a whole lot and found out she died a few years ago through facebook.

BRD was an end game staple if you had haste march and refresh march or w/e. Also that chocobo song was hilarious and great. WHM turned into a haste rotation bot at end game, especially for DRK, SAM, and DRG. Lionheart was a good dude. Wish I knew what happened to him. He helped me through some shit back in the day through chat.

I wish I could remember more of names of ppl I met through the game. Like there was a mom (RDM) I partied with a whole lot and found out she died a few years ago through facebook.

Dang. What race were you? I vaguely remember a whm rdm duo that helped me out sporadically. Like I'd randomly meet them in king ranperres tomb or stuff like that.

I think the whm was elvann? Maybe?

The only person I knew that died on our server was a lil tarutaru black mage named Isa. (I think...been awhile.)

Loved this game so much. Was a big part of my life. I am who I am because of this game.

Still play on a private server from time to time.

jiggle

Despite the wound from BST Nerf being still fresh
I decided to log in anyway
Next thing I knew, hours just flew by
I was SO prepared to hate play it too

Still bitter though

Riposte

Leveling parties have returned in the form of capacity points parties.

There are different styles, but the most popular is to find a camp spot, have someone pull mobs, and slaughter them for hours. Sounds familiar, no?

It does, but the actual grinding isn't what makes it appealing to me (on the contrary lol), it's the shape the community took when it was built around it.

daveo42

Banned
Dang. What race were you? I vaguely remember a whm rdm duo that helped me out sporadically. Like I'd randomly meet them in king ranperres tomb or stuff like that.

I think the whm was elvann? Maybe?

The only person I knew that died on our server was a lil tarutaru black mage named Isa. (I think...been awhile.)

Ah, I was a little red-headed tarutaru. I knew a rdm whm duo that were both elvaan. One was from French Polynesia. I hung out with them quite a bit. Reminds me that I knew another rdm who was a bit off his rocker and wanted me to join his ragtag high level LS after running most of the end game Zilart quests. God...now I'm super depressed I can't remember any of their names.

Loved this game so much. Was a big part of my life. I am who I am because of this game.

Still play on a private server from time to time.

After quitting the real game I too dipped my toe back in, but on a private server.

This time, my drg was named scar.

That nostalgia trip was quite amazing. I got to take my now fiance through the struggles my 2nd time around.

It was great!

Qwark

Damn, that's crazy. I remember I first got it on my 11th or 12 birthday, because I wanted a Final Fantasy game to play on my sister's hand-me-down computer. I didn't realize that my computer wouldn't be able to run it or that it had a subscription that I never would've been able to sign up for anyway. Years later, I finally got to play it, but I mostly played solo since none of my irl friends wanted to play it... I didn't make it very far.

mjc

I remember buying the HDD add-on for my PS2 so I could play it. Didn't make it very far but I'll always remember it.

Was having fun with my time back until the endgame crept up on me and I stopped having any kind of fun because I could see myself getting consigned to playing a single support job and grind the 1-2 events I could actually contribute to for the few hours I could afford to log in these days. Ultimately the gap between people who had years of head start and can actually do damage to monsters and those who couldn't was insurmountable given my available playtime and I retreated. I adore the story and event content, but everything at the top end of FFXI is simply inaccessible without grinding yourself into a nub.

The Adoulin expansion storyline is excellent.
The Rhapsodies finale is a perfect capstone to everything else that's come before it.
It's been a while since I've done the math, but it might just be possible to get it all done during the free login period. You deffo need a party for the later missions but folks are generally willing to help with them despite the lowered population.

Munba

I have so many memories and feelings about this game... maybe the best game experience ever for me. So incredible.

Bought the HDD for ps2 so I could play the socom 2 expansion maps. First FF game I ever played and was amazing the game just felt huge. Downloading right now taking foreverrr.

Taruranto

Eh, I thought the same thing back then, but it's not that bad. If anything I think it made me appreciate the game even more. I spend a lot of time doing stuff I would have ignored back then, you basically get to have another look at Vana without feeling rushed.

I definitely recommend restarting from scratch, it sounds overhelming but it's actually very enjoyable nowadays. Endgame situation is a bit dire, though. Also any server that isn't Asura is a dead zone.

Ah, I was a little red-headed tarutaru. I knew a rdm whm duo that were both elvaan. One was from French Polynesia. I hung out with them quite a bit. Reminds me that I knew another rdm who was a bit off his rocker and wanted me to join his ragtag high level LS after running most of the end game Zilart quests. God...now I'm super depressed I can't remember any of their names.

Let's see...

I only remember a few names.

Anarchy
Belledeath
Griffithsu
Swiftwind
Bombadil
Wolffe
Raiine
Mvader

It's been soooooooo long since I've thought of some of these names.

This is my biggest worry, and I've never even played the game. I like the idea of playing it, but the reality of it is I'd log in and be utterly lost behind fifteen years of content and learning the systems.

Oddly enough, when I was in Japan back in 2003 I bought the limited edition version of the game for PS2. It wasn't the one that came with the hard drive but it had the game, a manual, some pins I think, and other stuff.

s-l500.jpg

I was so stoked to play it until I realized I needed the hard drive and an online connection to my host-family's internet, and a credit card for the monthly fees. So I had to "nope" out and just kept the package cuz it looked pretty.

daveo42

Banned
Let's see...

I only remember a few names.

Anarchy
Belledeath
Griffithsu
Swiftwind
Bombadil

Wolffe
Raiine
Mvader

It's been soooooooo long since I've thought of some of these names.

Only ones I somewhat recognize, but all seem at least a little familiar. Only name I can remember off the top of my head is Aimee and she was a whm in our HNMLS. And we a fairly large group too.

Edit: I have some screenshots on my home PC i'll need to dig out to see if there is anyone else I remember.

I love this game, but man, back in the day I had such a hard time finding pickup groups - people hated on anything out of the norm, and I was a BLM/SMN. That combo gave me hella-damage, but people wanted some sort of backup healer. Luckily I had a static party of friends to play with most of the time, just 4 of us but we finished the main story up until Zilart with only picking up extra characters to help us a couple times (or when it was required).

These days you can solo quite a bit of content :)

Mcdohl

The true best Final Fantasy.

Surprised to hear it's been alive for half of the entire franchise's life now.

I think In gonna heat up the old account and give Vanadiel a spin for old times sake this week.

I wouldn't be me without the decade I poured into this game.

pablito

Played from 2007-2010 on Odin. One of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had was doing CoP from start to finish with the same group of friends. Started out as a BLU (worst job to start out as), but once I touched SAM it was all over. That job was so fun, and I was good at it. Never got the relic/mythic weapons (was working on them though), but I had the next best thing. Hagun, Love halberd, Tomoe, Usukane etc. SAM/DRG with a love halberd in colibri merit parties was the funnest shit ever.

I still want to go back sometimes.

Top Bottom