• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver almost rebooted Dino Crisis, chose Knights of Aegis(GnG) instead

The first studio that puts out a good dinosaur game is going to make serious bank. I really can't understand how nothing has been announced yet given how big Jurassic world was.

Anung

Un Rama
They probably wanted to take it back to its roots and bring back fan favourite character [insert dinosaur] but hire a new actor and turn it up to 11 so it's basically an entirely different character. They want to go back to the games roots but also appeal to every conceivable demographic so apart from specific branding elements every thing special about the series will be torn out...but we swear we're going back to its roots. Also this game could have had 4 writers. Not Videogame writers...real writers.

Nah I'm glad Capcom Vancouver wasn't allowed near this. As much as I do want a new Dino Crisis.

TreIII

The first studio that puts out a good dinosaur game is going to make serious bank. I really can't understand how nothing has been announced yet given how big Jurassic world was.

I think it was just due to the fact that publishers were caught with their pants down. Underestimated how well World would do, or if a "dino love" would be rekindled. And so, no resources were put into getting a dino game out by that time frame of the movie's release.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole bunch of dino projects announced/revealed this year and the next, though. No one in their right mind should want to miss the next Jurassic film and when people will want to play a dino game.

I think it was just due to the fact that publishers were caught with their pants down. Underestimated how well World would do, or if a "dino love" would be rekindled. And so, no resources were put into getting a dino game out by that time frame of the movie's release.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole bunch of dino projects announced/revealed this year and the next, though. No one in their right mind should want to miss the next Jurassic film and when people will want to play a dino game.

To be fair, nobody expected Jurassic World to blow up like it did.

nynt9

If CV did it it would be trash and any real shot the series has at actually being revived, so this is ok. At least this way the series isn't tarnished and actual Capcom can go back to it some time.

Trace

Banned
I'm curious what you guys would like CV to work on. Capcom bought them, they have to work on something.

I'm just happy to hear they're doing something other than Dead Rising. It's hard to tell how good a development studio is when they've never done anything except work on sequels to someone else's IP.

maomaoIYP

Everyone on gaming side knows that Jawmuncher is the Dino Crisis guy, but honestly, why the massive hard on for it OP? Game has been dead and gone for years. Last DC I played was DC 2 but honestly it was incredibly short and incredibly mediocre.

Jawmuncher

Everyone on gaming side knows that Jawmuncher is the Dino Crisis guy, but honestly, why the massive hard on for it OP? Game has been dead and gone for years. Last DR I played was DR 2 but honestly it was incredibly short and incredibly mediocre.

More or less it's because to this day I find Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2 to still be the best dinosaur games made in gaming. Especially for my tastes, where both styles being their own thing really appealed to me (I ain't counting DC3 or DS in this). Aside from that the series always did well enough (4.4 million with the majority just being 2 PS1 games), that I feel there's still this chance for it. DC returning in my eye's doesn't feel outlandish. Especially when smaller IPs than DC have been given a chance to return.

Even if I don't get the series back, if I can at least make more people aware of it. I'll be happy.

maomaoIYP

More or less it's because to this day I find Dino Crisis 1 and Dino Crisis 2 to still be the best dinosaur games made in gaming. Especially for my tastes, where both styles being their own thing really appealed to me (I ain't counting DC3 or DS in this). Aside from that the series always did well enough (4.4 million with the majority just being 2 PS1 games), that I feel there's still this chance for it. DC returning in my eye's doesn't feel outlandish. Especially when smaller IPs than DC have been given a chance to return.

Even if I don't get the series back, if I can at least make more people aware of it. I'll be happy.
Interesting! If anything I admire your dedication to the series! I might be mistaken but I vaguely recall some FPS type dinosaur game not too long ago, are those any good? Do you like dinosaurs in general or you just like killing them in games?

Dahbomb

Everyone on gaming side knows that Jawmuncher is the Dino Crisis guy, but honestly, why the massive hard on for it OP? Game has been dead and gone for years. Last DC I played was DC 2 but honestly it was incredibly short and incredibly mediocre.
Dino Crisis 1 was a solid RE clone while DC2 was RE4 before RE4. Faster, more action packed, set piece driven, great pacing and has a somewhat arcadey feel to it. You lost some of the tension/atmosphere from the first one but you dialed the action up dramatically.

Like those gunner sections in RE4/RE5, yeah they were done in DC2 before and done really well I might add. The jeep section defending against Triceratops was good stuff on the PS1 back in the day. And the weapon arsenal in DC2 is kinda nuts too with the Anti Tank Rifle and the Solid Cannon (aka stationary rail gun). And in terms of visuals DC2 was astonishing for its time IMO.

Dylan and Regina are a solid duo of characters. I don't think there is anything remarkable about the story or lore in DC, it's just an excuse to play in pre historic areas and against dinos.

I think DC is the franchise that is ripe for a reboot. Make it 3rd person shooter, faster and more action based. A perfect counter piece to the survival horror of RE. Survival can be a major aspect of a new DC game (using ammunition, healing items, crafting items in the wild, hunting down for special stuff etc.) which makes sense given the themes and the flavor of the game but the game shouldn't be restricting your controls and actions to elicit a sense of danger. If you got a gun and ammo then you should be able to defend against the dinos. Makes it easier to put in multiplayer and coop too.

Jawmuncher

Interesting! If anything I admire your dedication to the series! I might be mistaken but I vaguely recall some FPS type dinosaur game not too long ago, are those any good? Do you like dinosaurs in general or you just like killing them in games?

I love dinosaurs. I just also really enjoy killing them too.

The "biggest" dinosaur game out right now it Ark. But it's a survival game, that also incorporates other fantasy creatures and such.

Then there Primal Carnage which is fun, but it's MP only. So not being a big MP guy, I can only get so much out of it.

It's surprising that there's really no dinosaur SP game. The last one we really had was Turok 2008 or Jurassic the Hunted. I suppose there's robinson the journey too, but that's locked behind VR and is more of an experience as well.

The "biggest" dinosaur game out right now it Ark. But it's a survival game, that also incorporates other fantasy creatures and such.

Then there Primal Carnage which is fun, but it's MP only. So not being a big MP guy, I can only get so much out of it.

It's surprising that there's really no dinosaur SP game. The last one we really had was Turok 2008 or Jurassic the Hunted. I suppose there's robinson the journey too, but that's locked behind VR and is more of an experience as well.

This is another thing too, there's only a small few you can count on one hand with themes like this. It's odd indeed how not many devs tackled the prehistoric genre let alone having Dinosaurs as enemies.

Zukkoyaki

Heh, it's cool to see a huge dino fan. I still like dinosaurs but when I was a kid I was obsessed with them. Never did end up playing Dino Crisis though, I would definitely check out a new one even if it were super scary.

These days my love is for giant monster kaiju games. Give me some of that goodness!

Top Bottom