• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Renaissance: Is it time to reboot Onimusha and Devil May Cry

I'm bundling these two titles since they came out pretty near each other and only a few years after Resident Evil 2 and 3 which have famously (and maybe infamously) received reboots (remakes).

I'd love to see them do something similar with Onimusha and even Devil May Cry.

I know that Onimusha has received a remaster recently and Devil May Cry kind has been rebooted already (just not in the same vein as RE2/3).

I like Capcom going back to work on some of these older games/franchises, especially when you think about companies like Konami who couldn't be bothered.

Elios83

Capcom's leak stated that a new Onimusha is in the works and was scheduled for 2022.
Who knows if that's still accurate but killing the series after the PS2 games was a stupid decision.
Now we have seen many games with feudal Japan being a success (Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh series, Sekiro) so it's probably easier for them to justify an other try.

G-Bus

Banned
Was never into DmC but I did like onimusha. Beat the first and third I believe.

Hopefully that rumor of them bringing it back is true. Not sure if I'd like a remake of the original or a complete reboot of them/4th installment.

decisions

DMC needs a plot reboot but keep the same characters and general style so the games can focus on Dante again.

New artstyle should be in between DMC5 and previous games. DMC5 looks too realistic and just makes the combat look less over-the-top, though its graphics were impressive.

Revamp the combat, DMC4 perfected the current style and frankly DMC5 showed that adding more weapons on top of it won’t really feel very fresh. The focus should be on making the combat more stylish and cinematic without losing too much depth. The hyper-realistic characters models in DMC5 combined with jump-canceling just seems conflicting and outdated. Let players be more like Dante in cutscenes and less like a PS2 action game character.

Have a semi-open world structure where there are linear levels for the main plot but also cool arenas around the map to fight enemies instead of the tired and cramped bloody palace formula.

Us DMC fans are obviously afraid of the word “reboot” since the last one almost killed the franchise and was absolutely an insult to the fanbase, but in reality a reboot is exactly what the franchise needs.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Uhh DMC5 was very popular, and the ending of it pretty much acted as a "passing of the torch".
Also there's no need to reboot Onimusha either, it's pretty much the perfect franchise to keep telling different stories, with different characters with.

I guess they could "reboot" onimusha, by remaking it RE2/3 style, but there's no need, just make a new game.
Not a fan of reboots in general, because they are always headed by a bunch of stuck up creatives that feel they need to leave their mark on it, so it turns into a mess completely different from the original, just "because".
Remakes are the way to go.

Kokoloko85

Onimusha and Dino Crisis yes. Remake, Reboot, whatever.

DMC not so much. I wouldnt hate the idea of a trilogy remake though, 1 and 3 were great but 1 was a classic and was awesomely new. But nothing like how I want a Onimusha and Dino Crisis game.

Also give us a new power stone game

Aion002

I rather get an Onimusha sequel...

New characters in a different era, referencing the events of the first games.

Imagine a Onimusha game set during the Meiji Restoration?

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Onimusha has gone on for quite awhile without a game so they could reboot that.

Give us something like the intro to Onimusha 3 but real-time in a Ghosts of Tsushima meets Elden Ring kind of way.

Stamps1646

Onimusha Remastered was such a poor attempt for Capcom to get people excited for this series, especially people that have never played the game.
The original game had so many buggy issues and that carried over to the Remastered version.

I agree with Onimusha on a reboot.
Its one of my favorite Capcom series and would love to see new ones in the future.

NahaNago

I'd like a reboot of the onimusha series or just a new game in that series period. For Devil May Cry I wouldn't mind it being a continuation of the series. I didn't quite like the look of older man Dante though. I've really wanted a prequel to the series. Like you hear so much about Dante's dad and how powerful he was so I'd like several games starring him.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm bundling these two titles since they came out pretty near each other and only a few years after Resident Evil 2 and 3 which have famously (and maybe infamously) received reboots (remakes).

I'd love to see them do something similar with Onimusha and even Devil May Cry.

I know that Onimusha has received a remaster recently and Devil May Cry kind has been rebooted already (just not in the same vein as RE2/3).

I like Capcom going back to work on some of these older games/franchises, especially when you think about companies like Konami who couldn't be bothered.
No. Just give us DMC 6 and Onimusha 5. No reason to retread the same material again.

Camreezie

Sparda prequel for DMC would be cool. Does it make enough money for them to warrant the resident evil treatment or a remake and a new entry alternating though?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How about dino crisis or megaman legends 3 instead?

The latter is never going to happen, Capcom went well out of there way a decade ago to actively piss off the legends fanbase.

They haven't even released a "collection" unlike literally any other Megaman game.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Onimusha sure. That series hasn't been around in a long time. A reboot would be an easier sell in this market than a sequel.

Devil May Cry absolutely not. Itsuno is just in his 50s and the voice actors are all still young. There is also no story or gameplay justification for why a reboot is needed.

Raonak

Banned
stop trying to reboot DMC please, just make a DMC6 that picks up where 5 left off or just do a sparda prequel with a vastly different combat engine if you're really wanting to change up the series

Dino Crisis... now that's a game that needs a reboot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom