• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Callisto Protocol will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 60-70%

• 70-80%

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 90-95%

• 95-100%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommib

MqoxVHw.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: The Callisto Protocol
Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 2, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Dec 2, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Dec 2, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Dec 2, 2022)
  • PC (Dec 2, 2022)
Trailer:
Developer: Striking Distance Studios
Publisher: Krafton

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic:

SHzROF1.jpg

MetaCritic (PS5):

XOthHd9.jpg

Critic Reviews:​

Ars Technica - Alessandro Fillari - Unscored

AusGamers - Steve Farrelly - 8.7 / 10

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

Dexerto - Andrew Highton - 5 / 5

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5

Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 6 / 10

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 3.5 / 5

GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 66 / 100

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 5 / 10

GamesHub - Nicholas Kennedy - 3 / 5

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8.5 / 10

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 7 / 10

INVEN - Suhyung Jung - Korean - 8.5 / 10

Inverse - Joseph Yaden - 6 / 10

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 6 / 10

MondoXbox - Giuseppe Genga - Italian - 8.5 / 10

PC Gamer - Shaun Prescott - 79 / 100

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 85 / 100

PlayStation Universe - Adam Byrne - 7.5 / 10

Polygon - Michael McWhertor - Unscored

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 5.5 / 10

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8 / 10

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored

Screen Rant - Leo Faierman - 2.5 / 5

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 8 / 10

TheGamer - Andrew King - 2.5 / 5

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 80%
dTH1eDN.jpg

Open critic moved to strong. Update your jpeg.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Totally predictable on the Duenvo performance, they didn't want to miss out on all these day-one sales on PC sadly it's hurting them more than just letting people pirate it. Could've had great reviews on Steam but it's a red wave :messenger_grinning_smiling: For the amount of hype for the tech behind the game you'd think it'd run on top of the line systems perfectly.

The game looks like it'd be fun and unique for a single play hopefully a patch comes quickly before the refunds start rolling in.

Last edited:
This will 100% will get worst optimization award on PC by beating Gotham Knight and this is the only award this game will get. Overwhelm negative on PC steam user score. Lol.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Too bad about the reviews. I guess they rushed it because of the Dead Space Remake. Bad timing 😕

I have Evil West I need to get rid of so I'm still getting Callisto later.

skneogaf

Why is 75 out of 100 classed as bad or average?

Surely it classes as good!

I have it on pc but I'm not going to start it until I've done everything on god of war ragnarok which is pretty overwhelming, if the pc performance doesn't improve before I play it then I'll get the refund and wait for the patches.

ParaSeoul

Not really imo. Survival Horror fans are starving and the early trailer footage looked really impressive.
Early trailer footage looked good,the rest not so much,the combat always looked boring to me. Survival horror fans are not starving especially in the next year.

april6e

What's up with all the reviews saying the Dead Space Remake will be great?

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 5.5 / 10

"If you were hoping this would be the second coming of Dead Space, you’ll need to wait for next year’s remake."

Seems really fishy

What's hard to understand about it? We've already played Dead Space and it was an incredible horror game when it came out. It's already guaranteed to be good because we already know what it is and they are just releasing a better version of it. The only way it could fail is if it runs poorly.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I feel for any of you that still think the mainstream media sites are worth anything more than a laugh or two at their expense.

User reviews are the only way to gauge a games quality, as well as seeing Gameplay etc.

Seems it has serious optimisation issues on PC, but otherwise people like it, so will wait for them to polish it, as I was going to do that anyway.

Last edited:

k_trout

The good ole shader compilation stutter rears its head again. Wish these guys would just let us precompile all of the shaders. I don't give a fuck how inconvenient it is for them to do it.
unfortunately its not just the stutter, game runs terribly and crashes

TonyK

From Game Informer :(
"The final boss before this disappointing climax is an exhausting and repetitive fight that feels like those of yesteryear; the one every game had to include, even if it didn’t prove necessary. This wasn’t the only disappointing boss. All of them left me feeling empty and annoyed at the lack of variance. You fight the same enemy type as a boss multiple times throughout the game, just in different arenas. Most bosses can kill you in one hit, which takes away the earned stress of survival horror. I wasn’t desperate to find ammo or a health pack to survive by the skin of my teeth; I was just jogging away to ensure its hits didn’t land close to me. Furthering my frustration is a bad checkpoint system. You must redo the entire battle if you die by insta-kill, even at the tail end of a boss fight. If you have to kill a few enemies before that battle, you need to do that again, too"

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
7 seems about right. Not bad for a first time title from a debut studio. If they turn a profit re-invest in better combat systems and you will intrigue me.

Something looked a bit janky about this but I am sure it will still be fantastic fun.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dat Sony studio influence /s

Also if it is that "we come a long way since X360/PS3 era" then I sincerely don't know what are you talking about, we sure have devolved a lot.

Hydroxy

Damn way less than I expected. My prediction if 85 was far off. Hopefully they remove Denuvo from the game.

skit_data

The dodge mechanic and controls sound awful per Gamespots description. Really wierd to make the movement controls context sensitive in that way.

SLB1904

Banned
it is funny seeing the people bad mouthing god of war for being a “movie” game and on rails, have no problem with this janky movie game. Lol
Not really funny when it's predictable as hell. Anyway I dont trust these reviewers. I'm just going to give some time for them to fix the PC version. I will get it regardless

SJRB

Gold Member

I have it on pc but I'm not going to start it until I've done everything on god of war ragnarok which is pretty overwhelming, if the pc performance doesn't improve before I play it then I'll get the refund and wait for the patches.

For a game that was touted as the first AAAA-experience, 75/100 is fucking dogshit.

skyfall

Never understood the (insane) hype, people saying things like this is first AAAA game. Just looked like a good dead space follow up, nothing more, nothing less

Last edited:

tommib

Never understood the (insane) hype, people saying things like this is first AAAA game. Just looked like a good dead space follow up.
It’s the lack of big budget horror games. Game has the right atmosphere and the visuals are up there with the best. We haven’t seen a traditional third person horror game with this kind of budget for a while.

Review scores do matter

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oof.

Not that I expected anything groundbreaking but I was at least hoping for a solid action horror game. But after looking up some reviews and user scores, I'm kinda glad I didn't jump on it blindly because it looks like the kind of game that would just frustrate and disappoint. The melee combat especially looks super repetitive, and the fact that they're forcing you into it so much isn't very encouraging.

hlm666

Anyone thinks it's REALLY shady that the developers, ON RELEASE DAY, said that New Game+ and the other modes won't be able until February? That's some bullshit.
Are they some of the things tied to the season pass? I saw in another thread difficulty and some other modes put in the season pass?

Freeman76

The second paragraph in the review:-

The stuttering and slowing down whenever anything moves is especially problematic in a horror game where your survival depends on quickly dodge-reacting to sudden threats. So I can't, right now, recommend you get The Callisto Protocol on PC. If Striking Distance get it running properly? Eh. Maybe.

All the asshats in this thread who mock people for being 'strange' because they listen to reviews should take note and kindly shut the fuck up.

Its things like this you wouldnt know about from screenshots and the bare fact its a horror game. By the time they patch it to be a smoother experience it will be cheaper, so you save a bit of cash and get a smoother experience too.

Obviously plenty of people dont care about performance issues and good for them, but reviews are useful for those that do care about things like that.

Reactions: GHG

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
All the asshats in this thread who mock people for being 'strange' because they listen to reviews should take note and kindly shut the fuck up.

Its things like this you wouldnt know about from screenshots and the bare fact its a horror game. By the time they patch it to be a smoother experience it will be cheaper, so you save a bit of cash and get a smoother experience too.

Obviously plenty of people dont care about performance issues and good for them, but reviews are useful for those that do care about things like that.

Yup. I just refunded on Steam.

Terenty

Review from someone who actually finished the game:

This guy always 100% games to review them. I will take his word over any of those "reputable" journos any day of the week.

Tl.dr. He says the combat is actually quite engaging and tough, a lot of weapons to choose from, great world building and atmosphere.

As for the weak points, lack of enemy variety, performance and camera occasionally fucking things up during fights.

Overall, he enjoyed the game quite a lot and says as a package it's pretty good.

tommib

Well there goes any hope of this becoming a franchise.
It’s fucked up because besides Resident Evil I can’t think of any other big horror games at this level. It always seemed a dangerous release to me taking into account that Evil Within 1 and 2 never got the most amazing reception. For fans of horror games like myself it’s a shame. But hey, it’s released and from the 2 hours I played it hits all the right notes.

We’re stuck with PT clones, Bloober and Resident Evil.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What exactly is broken about that dodge mechanic? It's really intuitive.

Will it get worse? But so far it suggests that reviewers have problem with rhythm....

begotten

I'm about 3 hours in, playing on Maximum Security. The jank gameplay mechanics of the game don't match its presentation, which I think is top notch. Sounds and visuals definitely set an atmosphere for the player.

Combat is repetitive - every enemy type so far I have fought I have killed in the same pattern, nevermind one zombie is nearly 8ft tall or one is 250KG, they all take the same number of hits and attack almost identically.

The way they chose to incorporate the dodging is just unintuitive game design and makes it feel random. WHY IS WALK, BLOCK AND DIRECTIONAL DODGES ALL ON ONE STICK?

Traversal (vaulting & climbing) and death animations are slow and buggy.

One death animation they straight up took from The Last of Us 1 and made it worse. Insane.

I can't help but feel that Glen Schofield almost went full Todd Howard here. Spent the games' marketing and launch campaign just doing all this media shit and getting sucked off by the press - telling us how good his game is while his team is crunching to produce mediocrity.

The good is that we have another top notch, capable developer in the scene now and hopefully they have a foundation to build off and learn from after shipping this game.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The gameplay in Dead Space is also shit so not sure what anyone was expecting. From the very first time they showed actual in-game footage, I was dehyped. Game didn't look good at all.

Top Bottom