• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling fellow Playstation lovers - do the right thing and call out Sony!

supernova8

Banned
Dear fellow Playstation lovers,

Just like you, I've been enjoying the last few months shitting on Xbox for their cross-gen antics. I've been relishing the opportunity to throw yesterday's PS5 showcase in the face of Xbox fans as a 'AHA TAKE THAT BITCHES' moment but after that we find out that at the very least, Horizon Forbidden West and the Miles Morales game are coming to PS4 as well as PS5.

rYhInBx.jpg

I'm stoked as much as you are for PS5 but come on. Although they didn't necessarily say those games would be PS5 exclusive, the messaging very strongly hinted at it and for them to now mention, almost in passing as if they don't want to draw attention to it, that two of the key first party titles aren't actually next-gen exclusive.................. it's just a bit of a slap in the face.

Do you not hate being lied to? I know I do. Sure it's not lying if they never technically said those games wouldn't come to PS4, but it's effectively the same thing. They've been riding the wave of hate towards Xbox and it turns out what they're doing isn't really much different. If we try to hide behind the fine print then we're doing what the 'other side' did.

So, again, calling all fellow Pureisuteishon lovers, let's call it out because if we don't do it then we're just as bad as the Xbots who blindly support the likes of Aaron Greenscreen and Phil Spritzer.

note: If you think I'm posing as Playstation lover to whip up a frenzy, check my post history - I've been shitting on Xbox for months ;)

Last edited:
I'm not certain why they did it but what matters to me is if they're held back by it, especially HFW, I thought most of us made fun of cross-gen not holding things back because of Halo Infinite, not because we on principle can't allow cross-gen ever because it absolutely NEVER can work. If HFW is still a jaw-dropping experience it doesn't really hurt my enjoyment a PS4 version exists.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not certain why they did it but what matters to me is if they're held back by it, especially HFW, I thought most of us made fun of cross-gen not holding things back because of Halo Infinite, not because we on principle can't allow cross-gen ever because it absolutely NEVER can work. If HFW is still a jaw-dropping experience it doesn't really hurt my enjoyment a PS4 version exists.
It seems to hurt you if a PC version of Demons Souls exists. What’s the difference?

I hate the idea of it. We gave MS stick for it and Sony deserves the same hate if not more because they were unclear about it to start with.

We'll have to wait a bit longer for old hardware to be dropped and this will affect PC, XBox and Playstation. HFW and MM both look good so while I'm not happy I will still buy both.

Dear fellow Playstation lovers,

Just like you, I've been enjoying the last few months shitting on Xbox for their cross-gen antics. I've been relishing the opportunity to throw yesterday's PS5 showcase in the face of Xbox fans as a 'AHA TAKE THAT BITCHES' moment but after that we find out that at the very least, Horizon Forbidden West and the Miles Morales game are coming to PS4 as well as PS5.

You jumped the gun with cross gen stuff. It was always going to be this way, due to similarities in architecture.

if they manage to do good on PS5 without being dragged too much by PS4 versions then good, dont make a drama about it those are games for the beginning of the generation there will be more and better games in the future

Again I’m done playing dumb with you, some of these things you typed less than an hour ago.

If you don’t know or remember that’s on you now.

It's one thing to know what I've said and another to know which thing you interpreted so poorly. I don't mind Demon's Souls coming to PC, I typed earlier tonight that I don't mind any PC ports because PC isn't the competition for PS5.

Spiderman MM is slightly understandable.

It's a very short space of time since the original released, and is clearly following the same pattern of being a stand alone expansion, similar to Infamous First Light and Uncharted Lost Legacy. I'm disappointed they're wasting time and resources on a PS4 version, but there's little reason to believe the title is being held back to accommodate it.

Horizon 2 can sod right off though. That's a game that has had years to create a PS5 version from scratch for, and is following up a game renowned for it's technical and visual prowess. To find out it's being hobbled by needing to be able to run on much weaker hardware, and yet not even having the ever so slight excuse of being a launch title, is just taking the piss.

Hopefully it's the only game ro have such a problem, and there is some behind the scenes drama or mismanagement to explain the issue, rather than a retarded ongoing policy from Sony at large.

It can still sod right off though. This has genuinely dampened my enthusiasm for the game.

supernova8

Banned
I hate the idea of it. We gave MS stick for it and Sony deserves the same hate if not more because they were unclear about it to start with.

We'll have to wait a bit longer for old hardware to be dropped and this will affect PC, XBox and Playstation. HFW and MM both look good so while I'm not happy I will still buy both.

Honestly I think in hindsight we were too hard on the concept of cross-gen. If anything, cross-gen should be less of an issue this gen than it's ever been. When was the last time we had a new generation coming out that was an upgraded version of the previous generation's architecture?

I'm aware that we're talking Jaguar cores vs Zen cores but at the x86 level, this is the first time in a very long time, right? There are those super fast SSDs to take into consideration but the fact that HFW and Miles Morales are coming to PS4 pretty much debunks that.

I do have to place some blame at Craig's feet as the poster boy for the glorious/potentially shitty world of cross-gen, but yeah Sony was unclear. They were saying 'generational leap' while hiding the PS4 part conveniently.

Honestly I think in hindsight we were too hard on the concept of cross-gen. If anything, cross-gen should be less of an issue this gen than it's ever been. When was the last time we had a new generation coming out that was an upgraded version of the previous generation's architecture?

I'm aware that we're talking Jaguar cores vs Zen cores but at the x86 level, this is the first time in a very long time, right? There are those super fast SSDs to take into consideration but the fact that HFW and Miles Morales are coming to PS4 pretty much debunks that.

I do have to place some blame at Craig's feet as the poster boy for the glorious/potentially shitty world of cross-gen, but yeah Sony was unclear. They were saying 'generational leap' while hiding the PS4 part conveniently.

We will know for sure when we see the PS4 versions of these games. They should look a generation apart or something is wrong.

ripeavocado

Banned
It's not about generations more about the fact that PS5 has no proper next gen games nor at launch, nor in 2021 (we haven't seen shit about GOW2 and we may not see anything more until next year so it doesn't really matter)

Weakest line up ever for a console after the Series X one.

What a shitty next gen.

It's one thing to know what I've said and another to know which thing you interpreted so poorly. I don't mind Demon's Souls coming to PC, I typed earlier tonight that I don't mind any PC ports because PC isn't the competition for PS5.
As someone who won't be buying an Xbox because of their PC release policy, and wouldn't buy a PS5 if it also had everything releasing on PC too, this is an obviously bloody stupid thing to say.

If two platforms play the same games, they're competing with one another. End of.

Do you genuinely think there are people out there with both a console and a PC who buy 2 copies of every game for both their systems?

supernova8

Banned
It's interesting that Microsoft has been pretty open about it and Sony claimed to be big on generations then pulls this.

This is worse than any confusion about cross-gen Microsoft caused if you ask me.

Yeah in a way it was a case of shooting the messenger.

Kinda reminds me of back in 2013 when Xbox One got absolutely slaughtered for their always online stuff, but IIRC there were rumors that Sony was considering the exact thing but dropped it after they saw what happened with XB1.

Only this time they didn't drop it and are pushing ahead with PS4 versions. I suppose it makes business sense since they sold many so damn PS4s. Thinking back to the transition from PS2 -> PS3 (when PS2 had sold over 100m units ish when PS3 came out), makes me wonder whether we'll have the same situation ie. publishers (including Sony) choosing to keep making games for PS4 because it's easy money, especially given that PS4 also went over 100m units.

Last edited:
As someone who won't be buying an Xbox because of their PC release policy, and wouldn't buy a PS5 if it also had everything releasing on PC too, this is an obviously bloody stupid thing to say.

If two platforms play the same games, they're competing with one another. End of.

Do you genuinely think there are people out there with both a console and a PC who buy 2 copies of every game for both their systems?

When I say I don't think they're competition I mean that I don't believe people will switch to PC if they're console gamers because of a lack of exclusives. If PS5 exclusives were playable on Series X I think that would hurt them significantly... but PC gamers? Most the console audience isn't prepared for the undertaking of PC gaming. It will lose them SOME people like you or me but I don't think they're concerned with grabbing every possible person, it's just unrealistic, which is why they gave up on the portable market, for instance.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Miles Morales was a surprise -- I'd think a smaller expansion of a popular title that was used to advertise the potential of the SSD would be the perfect title to use to showcase the difference of a "Next Gen" experience.

H:FW was always going to be costly, with no way that the early PS5 install base would be able to pay for the development costs, even given the groundwork already laid given that it's a sequel. Still annoyed that it'll be cross-gen. I guess this means we won't be riding Stormbirds.

I'm all in on Playstation, no interest in Xbox. I hate loading screens and I'm more than happy to get rid of those, but I'm still mighty miffed. When will we see what this thing can actually do?

So there's no real reason to buy a PS5 right now then, since all the games are coming to PS4 also? Just in high-fidelity? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Somehow it is for the Xbox though?

I’ll never understand this train of thought.

XBOX is more like competition for them, yes, though XBOX is beginning to embrace a different model with Gamepass and Steaming, honestly it's reaching a point where each company has it's own way of doing things. I happen to like how SONY does things, I think their prestige exclusive experiences are pretty stellar.

Sony decided to make Destruction allstars next gen only but Horizon had to be cross gen. There are some questions that need to be asked. Destruction allstars would have been a great cross gen title.

Kagey K

Banned
XBOX is more like competition for them, yes, though XBOX is beginning to embrace a different model with Gamepass and Steaming, honestly it's reaching a point where each company has it's own way of doing things. I happen to like how SONY does things, I think their prestige exclusive experiences are pretty stellar.
That does nothing to answer the question, but it’s a lot of words. So points to you.

supernova8

Banned
It's not about generations more about the fact that PS5 has no proper next gen games nor at launch, nor in 2021 (we haven't seen shit about GOW2 and we may not see anything more until next year so it doesn't really matter)

Weakest line up ever for a console after the Series X one.

What a shitty next gen.

Honestly last-gen was by far the worst in my books, saved by third party games (which were all cross-gen anyway):

PS4 exclusive

- Killzone Shadowfall - FPS
- Knack - Platformer
- Resogun - side-scrolling shooter ish

Xbox One exclusive

- Forza Motorsport 5 - driving game
- Dead Rising 3 - hack n slash zombie
- Crimson Dragon - .....dragon shooter on rails
- Killer Instinct - fighting game
- Ryse: Son of Rome - tentpole-style visual beauty... let down by quick time event bollocks

Ironically Xbox One had the better launch lineup and yet went on to sell terribly through no fault of the game developers themselves. What a waste! I remember getting a PS4 at launch and after getting sick of Killzone after about 3 hours (what a boring ass game), I ended up just playing Battlefield 4 for weeks.

You're right the launch lineups for PS5 and XSX/S look kinda shit right now, but let's not forget how shit it really was about 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
Exactly, sony lost me the second they mentioned cross gen. Wth is this nonsense? This never happened throughout all previous generations. They never even hinted that this will happen next gen. Disgusting decision. Lets not forget that they had great exclusives but this is a step that can't be forgiven. From now on I am dedicated to pc. I'm not buying the ps5 until they repent or until I see a compelling library of cross gen exclusives ( so I will buy everything from playstation dirt cheap ). If their priority is sales, my priority will be cheap prices. If their priority is back to next gen experience, my priority will be hype..

Screw Microsoft (they are the worst) , screw sony until they change back ( could be a year or 4 years) . I'm not adapting to this nonsense. From now on, no day 1 or no pre orders.

Last edited:

chilichote

With Spiderman MM I don't think it's bad; the basis for this was the PS4 Spiderman, so I don't expect it to fully exhaust the PS5 hardware. The same with Demon's Souls.

But at Horizon, I'm really not happy about it - but it's probably too late now, because the game has been developed for both systems in parallel for a few years now. Still sad...

Twinblade

Sony knows that not everybody will just move over to ps5 in one year. It takes at least 3 yrs before majority of gamers migrate to new consoles.

When I say I don't think they're competition I mean that I don't believe people will switch to PC if they're console gamers because of a lack of exclusives. If PS5 exclusives were playable on Series X I think that would hurt them significantly... but PC gamers? Most the console audience isn't prepared for the undertaking of PC gaming. It will lose them SOME people like you or me but I don't think they're concerned with grabbing every possible person, it's just unrealistic, which is why they gave up on the portable market, for instance.
The fact that PC gaming is far more popular worldwide than console gaming should answer that, but in case you need a direct example, I would stop playing on consoles if exclusives creased to exist.

This narrative that exclusives aren't important, PC and consoles don't compete, or that it's better for everyone to have games release everywhere they can, is purely coming from MS's PR team, and, I'm sure purely coincidentally, only since their exclusives have been critically and commercially underwhelming.

Nevermind the fact MS also make the worlds most popular PC operating system, and thus are the only console player to still benefit from increased PC usage.

Exclusive games get more money and effort into them than multiplatform titles, and can afford to cater to niche audiences, because they're not meant to make a profit on their own term, but to sell their platform.

Remove the exclusity, and the platform doesn't sell as well, meaning there's more need for the individual games to make a profit, therefore budgets need to be tightened, a broader audience catered to, and more exploitative measures like loot boxes and season passes added in.

Releasing first party games on multiple platforms is both bad for the industry and bad for us as customers. Arguing otherwise is shortsighted ignorance.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't be angry that more people are going to be able to play a game. However I can be mildly annoyed that this now confirms these games will not be designed to take advantage of the new hardware from a game design perspective, so it will just be prettier graphics (which are always welcome). I was hoping that Miles would get powers that allow him to fly through Manhatten at lightening speed, or that he would be transitioning through the multiverse at blistering pace, but no 🤷‍♂️

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

tenor.gif

The fact that PC gaming is far more popular worldwide than console gaming should answer that, but in case you need a direct example, I would stop playing on consoles if exclusives creased to exist.

This narrative that exclusives aren't important or that it's better for everyone to have games rel3ase everywhere they can, is purely coming from MS's PR team, and, I'm sure purely coincidentally, only since their exclusives have been critically and commercially underwhelming.

Exclusive games get more money and effort into them than multiplatform titles, and can afford to cater to niche audiences, because they're not meant to make a profit on their own term, but to sell their platform.

Remove the exclusity, and the platform doesn't sell as well, meaning there's more need for the individual games to make a profit, therefore budgets need to be tightened, a broader audience catered to, and more exploitative measures like loot boxes and season passes added in.

Releasing first party games on multiple platforms is both bad for the industry and bad for us as customers. Arguing otherwise is shortsighted ignorance.

I pretty much agree with you I just think you're over-estimating how much they lose for having PC ports. I know PC gamers who are still patiently waiting for Bloodborne to be a PC game, for instance. In the same vein I know console players who will never build a PC and attempt to PC game. That said... I don't believe you'll see day/date releases on PC, if say... Demon's Souls hits PC... it'll be at least a few years from now I'd hazard. When they ported HZD it seemed to be just to try and entice PC gamers on the prospect of HFW, for instance.

Flintty

I honestly think that nobody really cares that the first few games will be cross gen (this has nearly always been the case!!) but you’ve been tricked into caring because console wars. PS fans months back: “Haha Xbox sucks cos cross gen games” (easy point score).

Now you have a choice to look like a twat and say “it doesn’t matter, the game will be great” (the truth) or stick to your original console warrior stance “Sony suck too, I’ve been betrayed”. It’s the Kobayashi Maru. You can’t win.

It’s quite funny really. My advice is to just look forward to the games you want to play on the system of your preference, and don’t worry about what everyone else is doing or what the current console war meme is. Life is too short.

With love, From an unconcerned Xbox fan 💚

mcz117chief

There is over 100 million PS4 in circulation, they are still being sold like crazy and you expect SONY to just tell all those people "lol, get a new toy"? No company is that retarded.

Now you have a choice to look like a twat and say “it doesn’t matter, the game will be great” (the truth) or stick to your original console warrior stance “Sony suck too, I’ve been betrayed”. It’s the Kobayashi Maru. You can’t win.

No, it isn't about not being able to win, you either realize you were a little snot who threw shade at a different console for little reason or you double down. Kobayashi Maru isn't about not being able to win, it is about the fact that no situation has a perfect solution. You can always just hyperspace away when the trouble starts or not even go into the Klingon space (which is the official way of handling the situation).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Miles Morales was a surprise -- I'd think a smaller expansion of a popular title that was used to advertise the potential of the SSD would be the perfect title to use to showcase the difference of a "Next Gen" experience.

H:FW was always going to be costly, with no way that the early PS5 install base would be able to pay for the development costs, even given the groundwork already laid given that it's a sequel. Still annoyed that it'll be cross-gen. I guess this means we won't be riding Stormbirds.

I'm all in on Playstation, no interest in Xbox. I hate loading screens and I'm more than happy to get rid of those, but I'm still mighty miffed. When will we see what this thing can actually do?
Nobody forced the morons at sony to have horizon as a launch title or launch window title...

You gave more time to devs and wait until 2022 or 2023 whem you have 20 to 30 ps5 installed.

But no, better make the game a fucking crossgen even if your already have a shitload of good games on year 1...

Top Bottom