• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C-SMASH VRS Revealed - Cosmic Smash PSVR2

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sega's bringing back the cult classic from the arcades and Dreamcast, a stylish cyberspace-like fusion of Virtua Tennis, Arkanoid/Breakout and Rez, only confirmed for the PSVR2.

Here's the original game for those who've never heard of it as it never released in the US and Europe on Dreamcast, only in Japan. Obviously VR gameplay will be vastly different.

This isn't developed in-house or anything but appears to be licenced by a couple small indie VR studios working on it, it's probably why it's so close to the original's low-fi styling.​

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm. Never heard of this game.​
That's why I put the original game video there. It's pretty rad and plays with just two buttons, smash and jump. Both held together charge up for a special move that can smash through a series of blocks or certain types of blocks with the downside that the timer depletes faster during the move.

You also get to choose your level path as you progress, similar to the likes of Outrun. Pure arcade puzzle action zen.

I hope this adaptation does the premise justice, they need to figure out a good way to incorporate skillful high level gameplay when you can't be jumping and diving around like your character can in the original. I'm thinking it could be similar to Racket: Nx which is a great puzzle action game.

Last edited:

Crayon

That's why I put the original game video there. It's pretty rad and plays with just two buttons, smash and jump. Both held together charge up for a special move that can smash through a series of blocks or certain types of blocks with the downside that the timer depletes faster during the move.

You also get to choose your level path as you progress, similar to the likes of Outrun. Pure arcade puzzle action zen.

I hope this adaptation does the premise justice, they need to figure out a good way to incorporate skillful high level gameplay when you can't be jumping and diving around like your character can in the original. I'm thinking it could be similar to Racket: Nx which is a great puzzle action game.

I only tried one squash game on psvr (holoball) and it didn't work for shit because it didn't jibe with the play area. I kept wanting me to stand in my couch!!!!! This being a classic sega joint, I will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Reallink

There are multiple variations of this exact same game on Steam VR dating back 6 or 7 years at this point. I wish VR developers would actually try something novel for once and not regurgitate Vive/Rift launch titles for the next decade.

Last edited:

Crayon

There are multiple variations of this exact same game on Steam VR dating back 6 or 7 years at this point. I wish VR developers would actually try something novel for once and not regurgitate Vive/Rift launch titles for the next decade.

giphy.webp

Top Bottom