• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BurnOut Legends(DS) has shipped. Any reviews yet?

Leatherface

It just started shipping to stores, or so I've been informed.. Any of you reviewers get a chance to play this yet? How is it? 60fps? Features? Modes?

zimweb_08.gif

TELLLL MEEEEE!

Matlock

Banned
Why don't you look at the screenshots, because that's how GAF qualifies games.

edit: a post on GameFAQs, god knows the veracity

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928835&topic=24887271

First off, Absolutely no WiFi. Just to clarify.
Single cart multiplayer.

Second, IMO 1st or 2nd best racer on DS. If you don't have WiFi it's the best. WiFI Marikart of course.

Quick run down is it's a complete port of Legends from PSP. The sense of speed is great. That's my problem with Mariokart I feel like I'm barely moving even on 150cc class. The graphics are sweet and the boost works great unlike NFS. That is you feel like you are going faster and pick up ground when you use it. It has a blur effect. Vehicles do take damage.

Problems include some crashes you go through scenery or half your car sticks in a wall or something. Doesn't ruin the game but enough to notice. Also touch screen nil. Menu navigation only. Which I think is better than some dumb mini games (NFS).

So why would I buy this if I own the PSP version.
1. Quick loading
2. Longer battery life by about 4 times.
3. I love Burnout

I glad this game rocks because I was worried after playing NFSU2 for the DS.

Questions?

I got the game yesterday from toys r us. It is ok for a DS game. I give the graphics a 7 and the game play about the same. Of course the console version and the PSP version are better, but if you have a DS and a fan of Burnout, its not a bad game to get. The aftertouch affect is ok. Not as good as the console. The music is generic rock.

M3wThr33

Banned
What's the matter Matlock? Too scared to review it yourself after your last two fun romps into quality DS titles?

Also, if EA hadn't purchased Criterion, would they have released the Legends games?

Matlock

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
What's the matter Matlock? Too scared to review it yourself after your last two fun romps into quality DS titles?

Also, if EA hadn't purchased Criterion, would they have released the Legends games?

I'm not the EA contact--besides, EA usually doesn't send us DS games.

German magazine MAN!AC gave the DS version a 52% (the PSP version got a 89 or 90% iirc). They say it's a technical desaster.

Leatherface

Musashi Wins! said:
people want to buy this?

yes. I love burnout. I don't care if the graphics are worse as long as the awesome gameplay is intact.

p.s.- thanks for the response matlock. :)

CamHostage

Leatherface said:
yes. I love burnout. I don't care if the graphics are worse as long as the awesome gameplay is intact.

It's not. Trust me. In Crash mode, the CrashBreaker usually comes with 3 impacts ... that's how sparse the traffic is.

Soul4ger

If I was a DS owner, and I am, I would never buy an EA game, since they're continually satisfied publishing horrible crap and charging $40 for it. And I don't.

Matlock

Banned
Soul4ger said:
If I was a DS owner, and I am, I would never buy any major publisher's game, since they're continually satisfied publishing horrible crap and charging $40 for it. And I don't.

Most of the library is mediocre, tbh. And I've played a whole hell of a lot more of it than you ever will.

Matlock

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Uh, okay. Sure you have.

We can compare lists, baby. <3

Either way, I find it highly unlikely that you've played Kim Possible, Incredibles, Tak, or a whole lot of the other games available on DS.

Memles

Fun Fact: EA Sports Nintendo DS Releases are now only $39.99 at Future Shop in Canada.

Fun Fact: First Party Nintendo DS Releases are now f'ing $49.99 at Future Shop in Canada.

Looks like they've got the quality hierarchy right, at least. This looks half decent for the DS, but Burnout is all about that sense of speed and seeing the great graphics flying by. This can never live up to that, so they should have just focused on making a compotent racer and then built from that.

CamHostage

Matlock said:
Criterion is credited multiple places with producing BOL DS. I dunno where you get your info.

With Burnout Legends on DS? I don't think so -- maybe they're on as a co-developer, but they didn't make this version (and always denied that they would, I've heard interviews before announcement where they said they'd be open to a DS one but wouldn't do it themselves.)

I think it's Visual Impact doing the DS one.

Matlock

Banned
CamHostage said:
With Burnout Legends on DS? I don't think so -- maybe they're on as a co-developer, but they didn't make this version (and always denied that they would, I've heard interviews before announcement where they said they'd be open to a DS one but wouldn't do it themselves.)

I think it's Visual Impact doing the DS one.

Straight from EA's press release archive:

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Criterion Games
Ship Date: November 2005
Category: Battle Racer

i played a bit at work.. cause we got it in today and got curious.. I did a quick race and theres like little to no traffic and u cant fkin turn in that game.. your always hugging the rail..

Also when u crash.. literally its .00003 sec cutscene like u hit a block of cheese and then back to racing.. its pretty stale.. no shattery glass etc..

Game = D+ at best.

Leatherface

PezRadar said:
i played a bit at work.. cause we got it in today and got curious.. I did a quick race and theres like little to no traffic and u cant fkin turn in that game.. your always hugging the rail..

Also when u crash.. literally its .00003 sec cutscene like u hit a block of cheese and then back to racing.. its pretty stale.. no shattery glass etc..

Game = D+ at best.

eek. =(

jarrod

Banned
Matlock said:
Straight from EA's press release archive:

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Criterion Games
Ship Date: November 2005
Category: Battle Racer
Well, it might be a stretch to believe but EA PR can be wrong. Visual Impact handled Burnout DS while EA's new UK studio handled Burnout PSP. Criterion wasn't actively making either game, though they were consulting.

pdk27

Played it a little bit. Racing is average at best and crash mode sucks. The turning almost have a Ridge Racer feel to it but not as well done. Don't make the mistake I made and stay away from this.

drumlord

Matlock said:
We can compare lists, baby. <3

Either way, I find it highly unlikely that you've played Kim Possible, Incredibles, Tak, or a whole lot of the other games available on DS.
I have. All the good games I own for DS I bought. All the bad games were sent to me for review.

Top Bottom