• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buriki One - SNK's experimental 3D fighting game

VGEsoterica

Considering SNK was known as a 2D fighting game maker that was putting out some of the best fighting games in the 90's (I'd say rivaling if not slightly beating Capcom, but that's just my opinion and probably a controversial one at that lol) the fact they pivoted to 3D and make something like Buriki One is pretty damn awesome.

If you havent played it, its unlike anything I've ever experienced in a fighting game. It's all down to the controls. You have two buttons....advance and retreat. One moves you toward your opponent, and the other backs you off. So how do you attack? Simple...with the arcade stick itself.

Want a quick jab? Just tap the stick forward. Quick kick? Tap it forward and down. You get a definite tactile feel landing a hit as you've put the force into the stick to make it happen. But it gets even better when you want to throw a heavy attack ; you pull the stick back and into position till your fighter telegraphs the attack, and you quickly jam the stick forward in your preferred attack direction. If it connects (or if it whiffs) you absolutely feel it in your hand unlike just pushing a combination of buttons. It's pretty damn fun when you are playing well.

Graphically its one of the better Hyper Neo Geo games as well. Still underpowered considering what was in the arcades at the time, but that really doesn't detract much at all from the overall experience. Sadly it was never ported, and as far as I can tell SNK never experimented with the control scheme again. Supposedly it still gets decent tournament play in Japan, so at least it found an audience.

But if you are a SNK fan, or a fighting game fan, and have the chance to play it, I def suggest you do. If you have played it id love to hear what you thought

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Buriki One is great. I want a kit for it. Only HNG64 boards I have are SS64 and FF: Wild Ambition.

shoplifter

I got to play this when I lived in Japan in '99. I really liked it quite a bit, shame it never got a home release.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Sorry for the off topic question: have you ever heard anything about a Mario game for the SNES CD? I swear I read a short write up in an early Game Players.

VGEsoterica

Sorry for the off topic question: have you ever heard anything about a Mario game for the SNES CD? I swear I read a short write up in an early Game Players.

sorry haven’t heard / seen anything. I don’t really get into obscure prototypes for Nintendo systems. It’s a weird scene and the prices are insane lol

I like my obscure on the cheaper side!

Old Retro

That's badass! I was too much into the SF/Marvel/Xmen fighting games back then to have appreciated it, if I had seen a coin op of it.

VGEsoterica

That's badass! I was too much into the SF/Marvel/Xmen fighting games back then to have appreciated it, if I had seen a coin op of it.

Yes, it definitely had a TON of competition...even from SNK itself and their 2D fighters. You had KOF 98/99 around the same time

Neff

I spent an evening playing this on a friend's HNG64, I really enjoyed it. Very novel and very fun.

VGEsoterica

JLC3N8S.jpg

Found the move strips. So weird not to see button inputs on them...just stick commands

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The best we could probably hope is as a bonus or on a weird compilation disc. This is a weird era that isn't often revisited. No one is clamoring for rereleases of Mace and BioFreaks and WarGods.

VGEsoterica

The best we could probably hope is as a bonus or on a weird compilation disc. This is a weird era that isn't often revisited. No one is clamoring for rereleases of Mace and BioFreaks and WarGods.

Maybe M2 could do a Hyper compilation disc. SNK has been tapping their back catalog like crazy lately...so maybe there is hope one day we could see them play around with the Hyper library

VGEsoterica

6yR2qVX.jpg

The rest of the control scheme. Granted if you don't read Japanese it might be a BIT hard to understand lol. Shows the unique control setup with the stick on the right.

VGEsoterica

Never heard of this game before but these kind of threads and videos are always interesting to read/watch. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. I've really been enjoying bringing all these random and obscure games to people. SO many games that are awesome but unloved

Top Bottom