• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

This game is getting Activisioned hard isn't it?

Yup, that evil bastard Kotick is paying the devs tons of cash for development and marketing in order to ship what will probably be one of the best selling games of the generation. Again.

giphy.gif

DNAbro

This makes me a bit worried that they have no plan for how the overall story of Destiny is going to go. I don't want only self contained sequels and expansions with little to no connectedness that we have seen up to this point.

Feonix

Remember "The Darkness" the major enemy force well apparently that isn't going to be in destiny 2 at all, According to Luke Smith it was just a catch all term for the bad guys. One of the most Illusive and interesting parts of existing Destiny Lore is now(always was) just a term to quickly say bad guys in the destiny tool tips.

Wait, I thought everybody already knew this. Destiny 1 made it pretty clear to me that "the darkness" just meant "the enemies that are chasing the Traveler." Did people actually think that was going to be an enemy faction or something? What?

My understanding is and has always been that a lot of the lore behind the Traveler is shit the Speaker made up that turned into a sort of religion that humanity now follows. The "Light" that Guardians wield, the "Darkness" that we are fighting, etc. When really it's a bunch of different races we are fighting for different reasons. I kinda thought that was obvious, to be honest.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, I thought everybody already knew this. Destiny 1 made it pretty clear to me that "the darkness" just meant "the enemies that are chasing the Traveler." Did people actually think that was going to be an enemy faction or something? What?

My understanding is and has always been that a lot of the lore behind the Traveler is shit the Speaker made up that turned into a sort of religion that humanity now follows. The "Light" that Guardians wield, the "Darkness" that we are fighting, etc. When really it's a bunch of different races we are fighting for different reasons. I kinda thought that was obvious, to be honest.

Grimoire cards indicate the Darkness is a bit more. It is some kind of malevolent thing. I'm under impression it might be an AI of some kind, possibly some kind of space-time construct. Definitively more than just its forces.

Because the Destiny Community is actually pretty amazing and they don't like the idea of players on other platforms missing out on content because of a marketing deal.

Every thread of people who think they are Mr. Elite Esports gamer god shitting on the idea of other people using matchmaking to play their precious raids says otherwise.

Gigarator

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

Because the Destiny Community is actually pretty amazing and they don't like the idea of players on other platforms missing out on content because of a marketing deal.

I only have a PS4 but come on I don't want that stuff held back from others
Yeah right

Because events and vendors are the same across platforms so gear can never be sold (has to be rng reward) and the associated maps and strikes cannot be the weekly featured events.
This is the reality of it.

Luke Smith and Bungie in general always come across as passive aggressive dicks. Like they somewhat enjoy doing or saying things that actively might upset their own hardcore fan base. They rarely if ever budge on anything.
Or maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Honestly as much as I liked the first Destiny, I'm going to wait on Destiny 2 until I hear how much content is in the base game. Maybe it's been verified, but it feels like Destiny 2 is a Destiny 1 expansion that they turned into a sequel. When something like that normally happens I'd expect for that game to be expanded upon with more content - more story, locations, loot, missions, etc.
I don't have those expectations with Bungie. They would be ok with charging $60 for a $30 or $40 expansion.

urge26

the beard comment is hilarious...... please stop.

As a huge Destiny fanboy, I can't back up the decisions I'm hearing about Destiny 2 and I'm losing confidence in what's going to be delivered here...

- choosing visual fidelity over performance.
- choosing a hybrid PtP/server networking over dedicated (if it gets rid of the red bar problems and lagging out of raids then I have no problems with this).
- no forge or theater options make this feel like Halo 3 was a more advanced game.
- no new classes.
- PC delay which essentially forces the hardcore to double-dip because you know you can't sit there a month while others are enjoying the game.
- no grimoire.
- watered down end game content and no in-game LFG for advanced end game content when guided games was hailed as this huge feature.
- no option anymore for 6v6 PvP (I get the 4v4 change believe me, but you now take away the options and lower my clan group participation?)
- taking away PvP modes (no rumble?)
- reused assets or things that were most likely pegged for Destiny 1 had the engine been able to turn content out like they wanted (the Dubious Volley was farmed years ago, Cabal DLC was rumored for years).
- are we getting a new enemy here? or is the Cabal just getting some new characters?
- requested features by the community being ignored.
- are we getting our vault back? will it be better?

So what we do know we're getting:

- what looks like a pretty cohesive single player story line with more character development.
- new subclasses.
- what will be a superior PC version, so based off what they're saying it wasn't possible to optimize 1080p60fps for Xbox One X or Pro.
- new weapons, revamped weapon system.
- 1 year exclusivity for Playstation when Activision could clearly see that was pissing off a good chunk of the fanbase.
- new patrol like activities and/or quests.
- immediate travel, the director being accessible in game.
- better in-game clan integration, and clan rewards (which sound like will ultimately bring problems with it)

I'll cool my jets and wait for what Bungie has to reveal to come, but it's not looking promising to me. Every time I give them the benefit of the doubt or get excited about what Destiny 2 could bring I'm reading something that sounds like 2 steps back have been taken.

On this, I remember Destiny was pitched as having a yearly cycle:

Destiny
Destiny Offshoot
Destiny
Destiny Offshoot
Destiny
Destiny Offshoot

Or something similar. Plan stretched out for years. I'm assuming that got binned off emphatically.

Yep; if I recall correctly it was supposed to alternate an expansion and then a sequel each year.

What Luke said is the Darkness deserves good exposition and they're not ready to give it to us just yet. They'll flesh out a rich Cabal story (and he made it a point to specify that Cabal have absolutely nothing to do with the Darkness - the Hive are the closest race to the Darkness because they worship it but they aren't it).

Yes, people like taking half of a statement and run with it out of context.

They are going to return to the Darkness down the line. They wanted to step away from it for a bit to figure out how to better portray it. For now, they are focused on fleshing out the Cabal (also something needed) as well as the Light (also something needed).

Not to mention that early Destiny is littered with hints that the Speaker is a fraud. Since he's the one preaching about the darkness, it's been a safe assumption that what we were told (as cryptic as it was) isn't correct anyways. So Bungie had that out from the beginning.

No beards really ruffles my feathers though.

TheFatMan

I mean the only one of those things that actually irritates me is no Free For All mode....mostly because I just don't understand why.....it shouldn't be that hard to implement yes?

But beards? Grimoire? Yeah I don't care.

And timed exclusive content is garbage, but I'm not complaining because, well, I get access right now.

E92 M3

Honestly, the worst part is 2 primaries due to the influence of PVP. PVP single-handily waters down PVE. Most perks will be mundane, and weapons will be grounded and not bat shit insane.

Cornbread78

We pissed because of beards?

Lol

Everyone is pissed about everything these days. I don't think there is one thing you can do right if your a dev these days because there will always be an alternate faction ready to speak out and be as loud as possible...

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

For me, it's because it's bullshit. I don't care that I'm the one benefiting this time because it could be the other way around next time. Nevermind the fact that the exclusive strikes have sucked anyway.

Bold One

We pissed because of beards?

Lol

People are pissed about the culmination of various things - Beards is just such a no-brainer, its been the most requested thing since literally Day 1.

that on top of so much cut things that wont be making the release like custom matches or rumble, how can you stand in front of your fans pointing at the giant 2 behind you and not have the most basic requests or features ready for launch.

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? ��

because that exclusive content doesn't appear in any of the playlist or gear rotations since Bungie maintains parity between consoles.The PvP map Exodus Blue wasn't an Elimination map in Year One because it was exclusive to PS.

Everyone is pissed about everything these days. I don't think there is one thing you can do right if your a dev these days because there will always be an alternate faction ready to speak out and be as loud as possible...

Thats not even true in this situation. Tell me how someone can be AGAINST beards? People are just asking for options.

I mean the only one of those things that actually irritates me is no Free For All mode....mostly because I just don't understand why.....it shouldn't be that hard to implement yes?

But beards? Grimoire? Yeah I don't care.

And timed exclusive content is garbage, but I'm not complaining because, well, I get access right now.

Probably not, but it's not always just a matter of difficulty.

They might just be trying to reduce the number of matchmaking pools at launch to reduce wait times.

Shikoba

lol anyone expecting a mind blowing story from Destiny is kidding themselves at this point.

Let's be realistic- we're in it for the loot and neat scifi setting.

ImboSlice

Wait, is Destiny 2 going to be smaller than 1? Less modes, less content? How are there no new classes?

Happily sold 1 two days after release and am no fan, but this baffles me as a general video game fan.

hydruxo

Honestly, I think Luke Smith is a smart guy and I know the game is in good hands with him as director but...the guy probably shouldn't be the one they have out doing these interviews. He's really unapologetic and matter of fact about things and it can come off the wrong way pretty often. There are a lot of questionable things he's said ever since Taken King.

panda-zebra

"We had no idea what it was. Straight up. We had no clue."

That got more than a giggle out of me, never expected him of all people to come clean.

I put 1500+ hours into the first game. Not sure if I'll bother with the sequel. I have no faith in Bungie to right the ship finally. All signs currently point to D2 being a mess like the first game.

As did I in an incredible 3 months+, lived that shit! Never went back, but got this pre-ordered and plan on taking things a little easier this time. And yes it was a mess, a beautiful mess.

I put 1500+ hours into the first game. Not sure if I'll bother with the sequel. I have no faith in Bungie to right the ship finally. All signs currently point to D2 being a mess like the first game.

I love posts and comments like this.

Like, how much of a disaster was this game really if you put 1500+ hours of your life into it...

Jonboy

Just listened to the interview with Jason. The quote in the OP isn't really fair b/c it stops halfway through Smith's answer. It was actually a pretty good answer from him that showed humility. He admitted a mistake and went on to explain how they're trying to right the ship for D2.

Here's the second part to his answer...

Jason: I'm glad you're being candid today!

Luke: Yeah, we didn't know what it was and for a period, we chose we were going to lump all the races - and you see this in the tooltips in the menus in the game - "minions of the darkness." And we had taken all the races and just said like ah, they'll be the darkness. But that's not what the IP deserves. Like, literally not.

And so what we're doing with Destiny 2 is we are deliberately telling a story about the light and what it means to be chosen.

And as such, we're in the process of removing the term darkness from the game because when we are going to talk about darkness next, we need to know what it is and have a plan for it. And we do.

ookami

Putting aside exclusives, I find it crazy how they changed their focus story wise. It might have been better to recruit back Joe Staten to let him finish his awesome work and save the coherence/narration of the story...
Not having the Grimoire is not really a problem if we have everything well narrated. They could even have authors write books.

Honestly, I think Luke Smith is a smart guy and I know the game is in good hands with him as director but...the guy probably shouldn't be the one they have out doing these interviews. He's really unapologetic and matter of fact about things and it can come off the wrong way pretty often. There are a lot of questionable things he's said ever since Taken King.

I think that's the vibe Bungie gives off anyway and therefore don't have a problem seeing it clearly stated, unlike their fluffy community managers.

Top Bottom