• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

E92 M3

As a huge destiny fan, I don't understand why we are not getting an emote wheel. Actually very surprised about that one.

List of other things
No Beards for Character Creator (The single mos requested thing since the E3 Destiny 1 Alpha)
No Private Matches at launch
No Free For All playlist at launch
No Ranked PVP at launch
No Dedicated server
No emote wheel (requested since emotes started getting sold)
PS4 Exclusive content (almost hated universally even by the PS4 crowd, lots of twitter backlash for this)

The bolded bug the hell out of me. These are huge boo boos.

Spades

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

Aside from the fact that they're not fanboy arseholes, the content locked to one platform does have consequences in-game:

The exclusive PvP map cannot be used for Trials (weekly competitive MP mode)
The exclusive Strike cannot be used for Nightfall (weekly "hardcore" strike with better loot)
The exclusive exotic weapon will never be sold by Xur (weekly exotic seller merchant)

The whole darkness thing could easily be fitted into the world of destiny, I mean the heroes and guardians are powered by light... to just flat out say "I dunno lol" is terribly and dumb and luke should feel bad.

Also to add to the exclusive content YET AGAIN a strike is reserved just for PS4 owners, core content everyone should benefit from.

On this, I remember Destiny was pitched as having a yearly cycle:

Destiny
Destiny Offshoot
Destiny
Destiny Offshoot
Destiny
Destiny Offshoot

Or something similar. Plan stretched out for years. I'm assuming that got binned off emphatically.

I feel like their tools were too slow to build good, new content in time as well as getting flak for selling overpriced, tiny dlc packs in the first year really made them have to change it up.

Hairsplash

No emote wheel?... no sale. (Come on, even overwatch added an emote wheel after the fact...)

Also they should include, for free, all of the emotes (from D1) in destiny 2...

Bungie execs spit in the face of their writing team and scrapped the entire story months before Destiny 1 was supposed to launch. They've been making things up and pulling "plot" and lore out of their butts ever since.

Roughly 2/3 of Destiny's player base just wants to shoot things and obtain loot, and Bungie knows this. Destiny will never be a fully-fleshed universe that is story-driven surrounding a consistent and well-conceived lore. That will never happen.

Bold One

List of other things
No Beards for Character Creator (The single mos requested thing since the E3 Destiny 1 Alpha)
No Private Matches at launch
No Free For All playlist at launch
No Ranked PVP at launch

No Dedicated server
No emote wheel (requested since emotes started getting sold)
PS4 Exclusive content (almost hated universally even by the PS4 crowd, lots of twitter backlash for this)

All this stuff is going to be staggered out so they have the illusion of content drops/

I can not for the life of me understand the lack of beards, seriously. Bungie's aversion to giving its player base any options or choices or a semblance of freedom is really worrying.

Spades

As a huge destiny fan, I don't understand why we are not getting an emote wheel. Actually very surprised about that one.

It's even more puzzling when you consider that it is extremely likely that additional emotes will be sold via micro-transactions and numerous people have voiced in the past that they would be far more likely to buy more if they could equip more than one at a time.

ultrazilla

Destiny game creators saying they have no idea of what "The Darkness" is doesn't exactly instill confidence in me about their story telling abilities. At least we'll get Grimoire for that.

What the hell! :(

EDIT: Perhaps, just *perhaps* Blizzard will work with Bungie on sorting out the Destiny lore/story. Blizzard has that stuff nailed with their properties.

Heck, I'd put Blizzard in charge of making cgi cut scenes where they go over the Grimoire. I think that would
be cool.

All this stuff is going to be staggered out so they have the illusion of content drops/

I can not for the life of me understand the lack of beards, seriously. Bungie's aversion to giving its player base any options or choices or a semblance of freedom is really worrying.

You think they're going to roll out dedicated servers? Hell to the nah.

Edit: I get that Bungie can't please everybody so there's always going to be something. But some of these really seem like either "screw you we don't care" or "we didn't have enough time". If the latter is the case, then this game needs another 6 months to a year of development.

Cornbread78

Whelp, my pitchfork and torch are well tucked away and shouldn't be needed for this..

Not bothered by any of it really.

Plasma

Banned
I'm not heavily invested into the lore of Destiny but it does seem like they're chucking out anything that was interesting with the story between this and the stranger.

Ryuuga

Banned
If I had to be candid, I have no idea if I'll eventually end up buying Destiny 2. Not specifically because of the plot holes from the original, but because Bungie appears to have learned nothing and are just doing everything in their power as is to just decrease my interest in their sequel/new foundation.

You played a "mess" of a game for 1500 hours? 😅

tumblr_o8645pdtNw1t0xyebo1_500.gif

Reading the OP is weird to me, because in my eyes, Destiny effectively has no story. It's a game where I go and shoot things and try to get loot. I really, really enjoy how the shooting feels, so I've stuck with it, even though I don't know what the point of it is. There are bad guys from different factions and they're trying to do something that is presumably bad.

I'm not judging anyone who is into Destiny's story. If they're changing things that you think are important to the game, that sucks. But for me, this is another example of how there are people that have wildly different expectations and experiences than what I have in a given game, and I find that to be interesting.

They could make the perfect game and people would complain all day and night. It's always the same with those mega-franchises. Vote with you wallet if you are not happy with Destiny 2. It's really THAT easy. But we all know how this will end ... ;-)

I am looking forward to play it. Had a blast with Destiny together with a friend and my brother and we will have lots of fun with this one.

Lifeline

For all the hate the first Destiny got, it ended actually being very successful. I'm expecting the same for Destiny 2.

I personally hate everything about the game and don't get at all why people play it.

Reading the OP is weird to me, because in my eyes, Destiny effectively has no story. It's a game where I go and shoot things and try to get loot. I really, really enjoy how the shooting feels, so I've stuck with it, even though I don't know what the point of it is. There are bad guys from different factions and they're trying to do something that is presumably bad.

Case in point for my previous post, everyone. Not judging you here, by the way. You like what you like.

Bold One

The Exo Stranger stuff can fuck off for all I care, was anyone really excited for that?

The main stuff with the Vex and Hive are way more interesting.

Though I thought the darkness was an entity that Oryx communed with on occasion if the grimoire is to be believed.

Gestault

To be fair, anything they did would have upset some portion of the fan base.

I think making a game story where a big part of the setup is legitimately hot air is something that bothers all players some, and many players quite a bit. And we're seeing admissions that it's not just things like the Darkness. I know games aren't just about story, but particularly for "universe" games like this, it means I don't care about any content they make.

This was a bad product in numerous ways, not just limited to communications about what players should expect in the content. We should expect that creators think through something as basic as narrative. In the grand scheme of things, things like timed-exclusive strike missions don't matter unless the core game is content starved. The writing effects everyone.

I'm just bitter about the lack of cross-saves... I really want to buy the console and pc version to experience both, but if I can't share characters across platforms then I'll probably end up with just the console version... Even though the pc version looks freaking gorgeous! :(

Tovarisc

The Exo Stranger stuff can fuck off for all I care, was anyone really excited for that?

It was interesting why and how that Exo had Vex's ability to travel in time and there even was hints that she knew about far past (Golden Age => Collapse) that now is lost to time as even Speaker doesn't really know.

dugdug

Banned
Whelp, my pitchfork and torch are well tucked away and shouldn't be needed for this..

Not bothered by any of it really.

Yeah, I've played hundreds of hours of Destiny and not a single one of those bullet points bothers me.

The exclusive stuff stinks, but, that's where we're at now.

bosseye

Same. I lost track of the story long before I hit Level 20 and now I have literally zero clue whats supposed to be going on, what the overarching narrative is, who the various people are and why. The characters are just 'That person who gives out X' and my motivations for doing anything are purely because a) The gunplay is excellent b) I want the loot.

The whys and the hows don't enter into it for me, but then I only ever dabbled briefly in the Grimoire where I suppose lots of this is fleshed out. Bungie website is blocked at work and I didn't really have the inclination to browse the Grimoire at home.

The list in the OP, to me, are annoyances. But he explains that the Darkness will be explained later while the Light will be explained in D2. We'll see.

AHA-Lambda

This game is getting Activisioned hard isn't it?

How is this necessarily ATVI's fault?

I know everyone always like to jump up and blame the big conglomerate publisher, but when it comes to story decisions like "yeah, we don't know what the darkness is or what the deal with the exo stranger is" how is anyone but Bungie to blame?

No dedicated servers and the PS4 content sure, but everything else in the OP sounds like it's under Bungie's remit.

Mozendo

I was never under the impression that the Darkness was anything concrete, just a catch all term for anything opposing the human race.
It's weird since in the story it's The Traveler's "arch-enemy" and really only cares about doing bad stuff to the travaler even if it means recruiting races along the way like The Hive/Taken, but in game it applies to enemies who never made contact with the darkness like the Cabal and I think the fallen too.

Wonder how bungie is going to explain the black heart if they ever do.

E92 M3

It's even more puzzling when you consider that it is extremely likely that additional emotes will be sold via micro-transactions and numerous people have voiced in the past that they would be far more likely to buy more if they could equip more than one at a time.

Yeah, it's definitely a thinking face.

Top Bottom