• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNBL

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there evidence of this? Just trying to stay clear of possible bias.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/17/5902177/9-questions-about-the-israel-palestine-conflict-you-were-too

Add to that what you can already read on this and the previous page, that there is no evidence other than the IDF's word that Hamas kidnapped the teenagers.

If you are interested in the story surrounding the beach bombing, watch this NBC report starting at 01:43
http://www.msnbc.com/all-in-with-chris-hayes/watch/four-boys-killed-on-gaza-beach-306364483898

The IDF justified that attack by claiming they were playing near Hamas installations from which rockets were fired, though surprisingly the journalists staying in the hotel next to that beach have not seen any rockets coming from that place. Not to mention they would not stay near that place if it actually did.

Only started following this recently.

Essentially, Israel's occupation and encroaching settlements super pissed off a group of 2.5 million people who are known to kind of already hate Israel. Hamas perceives this threat as existential, so they start launching missile strikes, but Israel is really fucking good at dealing with missile strikes, and retaliates, making the death toll very lopsided.

Approximately correct? Is there merit to the claims of "human shield" action, Israel attempting to warn Palestinians of impending strikes?
Gaza is the sixth most dense area in the world when it comes to population. Its basically a giant human shield.

Baki

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there evidence of this? Just trying to stay clear of possible bias.

The first part - yes, there is evidence.

The last part, I took liberties with a real situation. Israel bombed 4 kids playing on the beach the other day (not the first time they've done something like this) - but I made a satirical comment based on that.

And just so you know my position here - I think Israel should be charged with crimes against humanity. And I believe the IDF is full of power drunk assholes.

If Israel wanted to act rationally and not aggressively, they could end this without needing to invade. If you give the Palestinians what is rightfully theirs, you end the reason for them to continue fighting. Instead, Israel keeps on acting like a colonial power and then plays the victim card.
end-the-unjust-Jewish-occupation-of-Muslim-land.jpg

What Palestinians want and have always wanted is to either destroy or subjugate the Jews living in Israel and establish a Muslim state in its place. There will be no truce between them before that.

Besides, the whole Palestinian national identity emerged only after the 6 day war. Even Jews were counted as Palestinians before that. They're just a bunch of Arabs from around the middle east united by their hatred towards Israel.

"The Palestinian people have no national identity. I, Yasser Arafat, man of destiny, will give them that identity through conflict with Israel." - Yasser Arafat

Chariot

What Palestinians want and have always wanted is to either destroy or subjugate the Jews living in Israel and establish a Muslim state in its place. There will be no truce between them before that.

Besides, the whole Palestinian national identity emerged only after the 6 day war. Even Jews were counted as Palestinians before that. They're just a bunch of Arabs from around the middle east united by their hatred towards Israel.

"The Palestinian people have no national identity. I, Yasser Arafat, man of destiny, will give them that identity through conflict with Israel." - Yasser Arafat
Oh dear.

Oh yes.

Please do tell us more

Classifying Palestinians who have been living on the land for centuries as "bunch of Arabs from around the middle east united by their hatred towards Israel" is despicable. Take your racist crap elsewhere.

Classifying Palestinians who have been living on the land for centuries as "bunch of Arabs from around the middle east united by their hatred towards Israel" is despicable. Take your racist crap elsewhere.
Yeah sure. And around 1,5 million of them live peacefully in Israel and enjoy a better standard of living and human rights than in the surrounding Arabic countries.

Buzzman

Banned
Yeah sure. And around 1,5 million of them live peacefully in Israel and enjoy a better standard of living and human rights than in the surrounding Arabic countries.

And the Japanese had it a lot better in the U.S during WW2 than the Jews in Europe. Still doesn't remotely justify the abuse.

nib95

Banned
Well they aren't being bombed from there, why would they send in troops? Try harder. Gaza borders two countries and the government there only recognizes one of them. Why can Egypt close its border with Gaza but not Israel? Why is that fact continually being ignored?

Massive difference. Egypts border are more to control the flow of Palestinian refugees from going in to their country, which they still have in large numbers, unlike Israel. They do not have strategic control over their electricity, trade, ports, humanitarian aid, supplies, infrastructure and so on the way Israel does. The comparison is without any proper merit, beyond a vague similarity.

LNBL

Take your racist stereotyping nonsense someplace else.

" They're just a bunch of Arabs from around the middle east united by their hatred towards Israel."

LNBL

Those pictures represent the reality of this war, it confronts people with the consequences of the party they might support or not support on the innocent civilians of Gaza.

If you invade an area, especially from another continent, steal all the people's land, bulldoze their homes, and stick them in camps, they're going to get angry with you.

Whodathunkit?

Linkhero1

I just added him to the ignore list.
I dont care who you are and what you are, dont tag these kind of images. WTF!
You want people to see it? put link and fucking warn people.
"Oh no...the reality of war stings."

I'm fine with the images being posted. People deserve to see the result of this "war".

Quotient

I am not here arguing the morality of using this weapon, i just thought it was interesting that the intention behind the design of DIME was to increase the explosive power over a small area.

when it was found that adding tungsten powder to explosives seemed to increase the blast effect over a small area. The powder was acting as micro-shrapnel which only carries for a few feet (compared to hundreds of feet for larger fragments), so the result was dubbed the "focused lethality munition" (FLM) which does massive damage in a small area and nothing outside.

By the way i am referencing the wired article was sourced in the tumblr post.

EDIT: Wired article: http://www.wired.com/2009/01/mystery-weapon/

Quotient

"Oh no...the reality of war stings."

I'm fine with the images being posted. People deserve to see the result of this "war".

I personally dislike seeing images of hurt or dead children, but the moderators deem it okay, so i'll just have to live with it. I would suggest that we take extra effort to ensure we the images/videos we are posting are from this current conflict - there have been 2 occasions where images posted (without comment) were from the Syria conflict.

Linkhero1

I personally dislike seeing images of hurt or dead children, but the moderators deem it okay, so i'll just have to live with it. I would suggest that we take extra effort to ensure we the images/videos we are posting are from this current conflict - there have been 2 occasions where images posted (without comment) were from the Syria conflict.
Understandable. People should provide a source with every image.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You are not to post images of disfigured individuals.

There will be no more warnings of any sort in this thread. Ban lengths for any offenses will be significant and severe.

LNBL

There will be no more warnings of any sort in this thread. Ban lengths for any offenses will be significant and severe.

Does that include linking to the images via an URL?

Terra

Rumbling like constant thunder on the live feed. Eerie. Must be a hell living in Israel/Palestine with rockets and bombardment being a part of everyday life.

Bigboss370 dude should just stop posting images from his facebook feed. They are ill-researched and just spam. They are images from Syria and 2009 conflict. Post images (in link) only from reputable source or if you can back up the context please.

deanfrag

Banned
Bigboss370 dude should just stop posting images from his facebook feed. They are ill-researched and just spam. They are images from Syria and 2009 conflict. Post images (in link) only from reputable source or if you can back up the context please.
And if you (by you i mean everyone) want to post a really disturbing and disgusting images, do not tag them please.

nib95

Banned

Can you clarify what mean Y2Kev? As in no image tags? I'm assuming they're still permitted if they come with a viewer advisory warning and are only a link URL instead of an image tag? Eg the way we see in certain other news threads etc from time to time.

Can you clarify what mean Y2Kev? As in no image tags? I'm assuming they're still permitted if they come with a viewer advisory warning and are only a link URL instead of an image tag? Eg the way we see in certain other news threads etc from time to time.
Your assumption is correct. Links only, without img tags and with warning.
"Unsafe" links can be posted with appropriate warning.

Feep

Banned
If you want to truly understand what Israel is dealing with, watch this video from start to finish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYzPHyTZuY
This is an anecdotal account and gives me very little insight into the situation at large.

What are the pro-Israel folk saying about occupation/expansion into Gaza, and treatment of internal non-Jews? Do they deny it, or say that missile strikes are an inappropriate response, or what?

Baki

This is an anecdotal account and gives me very little insight into the situation at large.

What are the pro-Israel folk saying about occupation/expansion into Gaza, and treatment of internal non-Jews? Do they deny it, or say that missile strikes are an inappropriate response, or what?

I'll save you the effort. Expect the "Israel has the right to defend itself" line. They will totally neglect that there are Palestinian civilian casualities even when no rockets are fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom