• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: International sanctions against Iran lifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Oh wow, great news for the people of Iran!!

Pretty sure the price of oil is going lower asap - along with the CAD.

black_13

Banned
This is what peace looks like. Takes a long time but eventually it's far better than the alternative.

How can the Republicans possibly think this is a bad thing? Especially after the whole refugee situation that happened in Syria/Iraq.

Costia

Funny, Saudi terrorists have killed far more Americans than the ones the Iranians backed. Fact is, the supposed Iranian backed terrorists are the ones fighting ISIS and Al Quaeda on the ground as opposed the vaunted American allies, the Saudis. You want to talk about state sponsored terrorism, look to your allies before looking at Iran.
I have already answered to exactly that in my previous post.
You should be looking at both. "But the saudi's are doing it as well" isn't a good excuse for sponsoring terrorism.

This is what peace looks like. Takes a long time but eventually it's far better than the alternative.

How can the Republicans possibly think this is a bad thing? Especially after the whole refugee situation that happened in Syria/Iraq.

Angry old white people who have been told that for decades that Iran is going to blow up Israel think that Iran is going to blow up Israel so the Republicans have no choice but to continue the path they have been going.

What do we call it when the US does it? Funding freedom fighters?
What do we call it when Russia does it? Funding little green men?
What do we call it when Iran does it? Funding terrorism?

People were freaking out during Iraq about "Omg, Iran is sending over weapons to the people killing our troops, THEY ARE FUNDING TERRORISM!"

Different names but the same concept of funding specific groups to carry out your ideology and goals for regional influence.

The US and the world are trying to prevent Iran from becoming a completely isolated and fringe state that would have no choice but to go all in on a nuclear option. Thank god the US has leaders who recognize this opportunity and didn't blow it.

there is a difference between national militaries and terrorist networks.

Sijil

can you back that up with some sources/ proof?

Proof of what? That Hezbollah, IRGC, Iraqi Militias and Houthis are fighting ISIS and AQ?

Or Saudi state sponsored terrorism? Saudi army is fighting side by side with AQ in Yemen against Iranian backed Houthis, Saudi weapons are being used by Jabhat Al Nusra, AQ in Syria. They publicly backed Ahrar Al Sham and Jaysh al Sham, AQ inspired groups in Syria.

They have been bombing the poorest Arab nation on earth to dust for well over 6 months with billions of dollars in weapons and munitions but have yet to bomb a single ISIS or AQ target.

Just read the news.

there is a difference between national militaries and terrorist networks.

The US wasn't facing a national military in Iraq for the vast majority of the war.

I'm not saying that Iran doesn't fund it's fair share of networks, I'm simply pointing out that saying this deal is going to open up a new age of terrorism because the sanctions are lifting is a silly concept and a talking point to go against negotiations.

Sure but this doesn't make giving Iran even more money to spend on terrorism a good idea.
Eventually it comes down to commercial interests. From the EU/US point of view it's worth it. They get to trade with Iran, and all the negative consequences of it will happen far away from them, in the middle east.

Of course it wasn't preventing. But "We cant prevent it so we might as well add to it" is not a good defense.

I think they are still some restriction and some sanctions for US citizens and business to trade with Iran.

Iran will probably use a lot of the money to rebuild, but I can see some of that being spent on foreign activists if that happens the Saudi Arabia will have more conflicts with them. Although, it probably won't be immediately . Either way I see the US will have still have issues with Iran when it comes to foreign policies( especially if Iran still feel the need to destroy Israel), but Obama, publically will try to build better relations without trying to sideline the gulf nations and Israel. I doubt he will be successful and the next president will probably more aggressive with Iran.

Darkangel

But did not dozens of republican politicans (who did not actually read the deal) predicted that THIS WAS NOT A GOOD DEAL????!

Damn it.! He cant keep getting away with it...oh, it has been posted already, yep :D

To be fair, it will be a few years before we find out if it was a good deal or not. As long as Iran doesn't develop nuclear weapons I'm happy.

Did America did anything to saudi arabia for this? Perhaps, any sanctions on Saudi Arabia?

Bush-Family-Saudi-Arabia-2.jpg

what do you think?

I have already answered to exactly that in my previous post.
You should be looking at both. "But the saudi's are doing it as well" isn't a good excuse for sponsoring terrorism.

Via the CIA the US has sponsored much terrorists around the world.

Cant hold Iran to account for things that others do and are not held to account for.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Did America did anything to saudi arabia for this? Perhaps, any sanctions on Saudi Arabia?

No, but it's no surprise considering the historical relationship between them and the United States.

There was a a fantastic special on that, I can't remember the name but it's on my HDD. I'll get the name for you in a bit if I can find it.

Proof of what? That Hezbollah, IRGC, Iraqi Militias and Houthis are fighting ISIS and AQ?

Or Saudi state sponsored terrorism? Saudi army is fighting side by side with AQ in Yemen against Iranian backed Houthis, Saudi weapons are being used by Jabhat Al Nusra, AQ in Syria. They publicly backed Ahrar Al Sham and Jaysh al Sham, AQ inspired groups in Syria.

They have been bombing the poorest Arab nation on earth to dust for well over 6 months with billions of dollars in weapons and munitions but have yet to bomb a single ISIS or AQ target.

Just read the news.

The Houthis, Hezbollah, Iraqi Militas etc are all guilty of awful acts of terrorism and sectarian acts. Nobody lilly white around here.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You do want $59.99 games again, right?!
Eh, I can live without them. I usually buy games on sale nowadays anyway unless it's suuuper important.

But yeah, it doesn't change the fact that most other products are still gonna be a shitshow.

No, but it's no surprise considering the historical relationship between them and the United States.

There was a a fantastic special on that, I can't remember the name but it's on my HDD. I'll get the name for you in a bit if I can find it.

Bitter Lake on BBC iplayer is a fantastic piece about the Saudi / US relationship and its affect on the world.

vpance

I thought it was sell on news? Bad or good.

It can be both. It's the opposite of what you think will happen, at least for a little while.

Meanwhile everyone has already traded the move you think will happen, prior to the announcement, as in the sell/buy on rumor first step.

Ovid

The spin thus far has been that we're turning our backs on Israel which is silly.

The spin thus far has been that we're turning our backs on Israel which is silly.

If there was ever a country worth turning your back on, Israel is one of them.

Single greatest factor in the destabilisation of the Middle East and propagators of a slow destruction of a people and their land.

Sijil

The Houthis, Hezbollah, Iraqi Militas etc are all guilty of awful acts of terrorism and sectarian acts. Nobody lilly white around here.

Those groups do not have mass murder and genocide justified in their creed or ideology, unlike ISIS and AQ, an ideology that they inherited from the Saudis, an ideology of hate and sectarianism that is being taught in schools across the kingdom which makes it a breeding ground for ISIS and AQ wannabee terrorists.

Those Shia groups are as much terrorists as the US and Western governments with their targeted killings via drones, indiscriminate bombardment and clandestine activities.

Neat. Hopefully it won't take TOO long for some of those abysmal human rights violations to disappear. Would also like to visit the country if it ever becomes legal.

ZiZ

source pls

no need for a source when dissing Saudi Arabia.

Iran is a theocracy that supports many armed terrorist groups, it also has an execution rate that is more than 3 times higher than Saudi Arabia.

but fuck Saudi Arabia, am I right?

Single greatest factor in the destabilisation of the Middle East and propagators of a slow destruction of a people and their land.

Turning our back on Israel or Saudi Arabia will just make them unhinged and more prone to chaos than they are( if anyone think so) now.

noshten

The sanctions on Iran where hypocrisy at it's finest - the only way people can lift the veil over regimes is being more informed and have easier access over information.
The sanctions on Iran have only helped the regime become better entrenched.

Those groups do not have mass murder and genocide justified in their creed or ideology, unlike ISIS and AQ, an ideology that they inherited from the Saudis, an ideology of hate and sectarianism that is being taught in schools across the kingdom which makes it a breeding ground for ISIS and AQ wannabee terrorists.

Those Shia groups are as much terrorists as the US and Western governments with their targeted killings via drones, indiscriminate bombardment and clandestine activities.

Lol, murdering Sunni civilians during the Maliki years, crimes against civilians in Syria, Sunni civilians at that. Remember the acts by the army of the Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, the Mahdi Army that engaged in operating death squads against Sunni civilians during the Iraq war?

Shia groups are responsible for awful acts in many theatres, in many countries. Iran backed Assad and he killed many a Sunni civilian. Whether idealogical or not makes no difference, hate is hate.

Turning our back on Israel or Saudi Arabia will just make them unhinged and more prone to chaos than they are( if anyone think so) now.

Israel has had the support of the West forever and they continue to fuck shit up and prevent any possibility of peace with Palestine. Telling them to jog on when the rest of the world has a once in a lifetime opportunity is the absolutely correct thing to do

Suen

Or the invasion of a country based on lies, or intentionally destroying the infrastructure and water supply of that country almost a decade earlier, or placing sanctions as a collective punishment killing half a million children and saying it was worth it in that country, or supporting the very same regime they removed fro mthat country to come to power, resulting in the deaths of several thousands people or....

that's only one country.

Considering there are plenty of factors for the destabilization in the region and that several ME countries have come out and said they care little for the plight of the Palestinians, I'm gonna disagree with this.

It's definitely a factor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom