• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: International sanctions against Iran lifted

Status
Not open for further replies.
VIENNA —Iran reentered the global economy Saturday, as years of crippling international sanctions were lifted in exchange for the verified disabling of much of its nuclear infrastructure.

For Iran, implementation of the landmark deal it finalized with six world powers last summer means immediate access to more than $50 billion in long-frozen assets, and freedom to sell its oil and purchase goods in the international marketplace. Tehran has hailed the deal as vindication of its power and influence in the world.

The removal of sanctions comes as President Obama begins his last year in office, and almost seven years to the day since he called on Iran to “unclench your fist” and take steps toward rapprochement with the United States and the world. As a result of the agreement, he said in his last State of the Union speech this week, a “nuclear-armed Iran” has been prevented, and “the world has avoided another war.”

The triggering event for implementation was certification by the International Atomic Energy Agency Saturday that Iran had successfully completed all the nuclear steps it agreed to in July: sending the bulk of its enriched uranium outside the country, dismantling and storing most of its centrifuges, and disabling its Arak nuclear reactor, capable of yielding plutonium. The IAEA is also charged with monitoring and verifying Iran’s continued compliance.

Agency inspectors on the ground “verified that Iran has carried out all measures required....to enable Implementation Day to occur,” IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said in a statement issued just before midnight, Vienna time.

IAEA certification of compliance opened the door to announcements and speeches by high-level officials from the negotiating parties. A new U.N. resolution codifying the deal immediately goes into effect. The IAEA begins strict monitoring provisions on the ground in Iran. White House executive orders and implementation guidance issued by the European Union and the U.S. Treasury, along with waivers of certain restrictions signed here by Secretary of State John F. Kerry, will start the wheels of international business and finance turning.
In the long term, the agreement is a major milestone in the Iranian revolution, with the potential for far-reaching economic, political and cultural ramifications. The end of Iran’s near-total economic isolation could drive more modernization and open the country to moderating outside influences. More money spent at home to upgrade failing infrastructure and jump-start the economy would allow pragmatist President Hassan Rouhani to showcase the sanctions relief he pledged in his 2013 campaign..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b8295e-babf-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html

millions of peoples of lives will be improved and we can make sure no nuke is developed.

obviously iran still has issues but its not like these sanctions were changing those behaviors

Wasn't this deal with the US only? Why are all sanctions lifted?

The nuke negotiations was a world wide deal with nearly all major countries. (Hence why Israel was so salty about being specifically left out)

The US just has it's own sanctions that congress could have kept in place regardless of the worlds deal.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
In the long term, the agreement is a major milestone in the Iranian revolution, with the potential for far-reaching economic, political and cultural ramifications. The end of Iran’s near-total economic isolation could drive more modernization and open the country to moderating outside influences. More money spent at home to upgrade failing infrastructure and jump-start the economy would allow pragmatist President Hassan Rouhani to showcase the sanctions relief he pledged in his 2013 campaign..

Good. I hope this accelerates the undoing of the cultural regression caused by 1979.

harSon

Banned
Hopefully nothing too destabilizing happens within Iran. They have a large enough educated populace to be in a good position 10-20 years from now.

Is it really breaking news? The 2 sides have been neogociating for a year. If Obama couldn't close the deal, Russia and China would have lift and sanction themselves sooner or later.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This Iran deal is going way better than many experts predicted.

RkshpHF.gif

harSon

Banned
I hope I'm wrong, but it's probably going to get ugly for them on the terrorism front. If they're believed to be getting more 'Westernized' and buddy buddy with the United States or other Western nations - then they're likely going to have a huge target on their back.

V_Arnold

But did not dozens of republican politicans (who did not actually read the deal) predicted that THIS WAS NOT A GOOD DEAL????!

Damn it.! He cant keep getting away with it...oh, it has been posted already, yep :D

jelly

Nice to see. Hope they become a good beacon of western and middle east harmony rather than a backwards one like Saudi Arabia.

Jag

Nice to see. Hope they become a good beacon of western and middle east harmony rather than a backwards one like Saudi Arabia.

That is everything the theocratic dictators of Iran fear. I hope things get better for the people of Iran, but they religious nuts in power will never give it up.

Ovid

On this day Israel wept.

Sorry Israel, I'm all for diplomatic solutions. Not bombing facilities without talking about it.

Costia

I mean Iran does support terror, but that list is a joke. It purposefully ignores states that support terror but are buddy buddy with the US (cough cough Saudi Arabia).
Sure but this doesn't make giving Iran even more money to spend on terrorism a good idea.
Eventually it comes down to commercial interests. From the EU/US point of view it's worth it. They get to trade with Iran, and all the negative consequences of it will happen far away from them, in the middle east.

If you think the sanctions were preventing Iran from funding their regional interests then you're silly.
Of course it wasn't preventing. But "We cant prevent it so we might as well add to it" is not a good defense.

Sijil

Saudis must be fuming and pissed, they've been trying to derail this deal since forever. This will only strengthen Iran and help it expand its sphere of influence against the Saudis.

Good, America will yield better results by being partners with the Iranians who have a common goal of achieving stability than allying themselves with an unpredictable ally like the Saudis who have been causing nothing but chaos in their sectarian fueled agenda.

More money to fund terrorism. Yay!
State Sponsors of Terrorism Overview:
http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2014/239410.htm
http://freebeacon.com/wp-content/up...ial-Support-to-Terrorists-and-Militants-1.pdf

Good for the people of Iran, bad for the middle east.

Funny, Saudi terrorists have killed far more Americans than the ones the Iranians backed. Fact is, the supposed Iranian backed terrorists are the ones fighting ISIS and Al Quaeda on the ground as opposed the vaunted American allies, the Saudis. You want to talk about state sponsored terrorism, look to your allies before looking at Iran.

Funny, Saudi terrorists have killed far more Americans than the ones the Iranians backed. Fact is, the supposed Iranian backed terrorists are the ones fighting ISIS and Al Quaeda on the ground as opposed the vaunted American allies, the Saudis. You want to talk about state sponsored terrorism, look to your allies before looking at Iran.

can you back that up with some sources/ proof?

orochi91

I hope I'm wrong, but it's probably going to get ugly for them on the terrorism front. If they're believed to be getting more 'Westernized' and buddy buddy with the United States or other Western nations - then they're likely going to have a huge target on their back.

Iran is not going to get any more Westernized than any of the oil rich Sunni states that are currently allied with the West.

Like them, Iran has its own interests and will leverage its international ties to get them.

Iranians will always have a target on them simply due to their Shia faith.

i agree with your sentiment but calling it "funding their regional interests" is a bit to edge for

What do we call it when the US does it? Funding freedom fighters?
What do we call it when Russia does it? Funding little green men?
What do we call it when Iran does it? Funding terrorism?

People were freaking out during Iraq about "Omg, Iran is sending over weapons to the people killing our troops, THEY ARE FUNDING TERRORISM!"

Different names but the same concept of funding specific groups to carry out your ideology and goals for regional influence.

The US and the world are trying to prevent Iran from becoming a completely isolated and fringe state that would have no choice but to go all in on a nuclear option. Thank god the US has leaders who recognize this opportunity and didn't blow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom