• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: International sanctions against Iran lifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

The former secretary of State said the U.S. should not “thank” Iran for releasing prisoners unjustly held or for following through on its obligations.

Wtf is this. So if an Iranian vessel inadvertently strolled into US waters, the US would be unjustified in capturing them? I was hoping for Hillary to continue the peaceful relations with Iran, but now I'm not exactly looking forward to her entering office.

Wtf is this. So if an Iranian vessel inadvertently strolled into US waters, the US would be unjustified in capturing them? I was hoping for Hillary to continue the peaceful relations with Iran, but now I'm not exactly looking forward to her entering office.

She must be going after the Israel and Saudi support. This is insane for her to say anyway but she wants that money.

No war is war, in this case civil war. The Americans fire bombed Fallujah when they fought AQ there, standing shoulder to shoulder with the Iraqi army, Maliki's security apparatus never operated without CIA consent, do you admit that the US government is a terrorist governmnnet?

The CIA was responsible for the 1985 Beirut car bomb which killed dozens of civilians in an attempt to retaliate against the Marine Barracks bombing, would you call the CIA terrorists?

The French army committed horrific atrocities in Algeria, are they terrorists?

Ideologically speaking, it's aimed at the American government not the people, a common mistake made by people who think they know Iranian history and Khomeinism. Shia groups are not idelogically motivated to commit sectarian cleansing as opposed to Saudi sponsored groups or those who are ideologically inspired by Wahabism, there's the difference. Shia groups can create stability and co existence with other sects and minorities such as in Lebanon and government controlled territories in Syria as opposed to the AQ/ISIS groups.

Concerning the textbooks, I'll take the word of Freedom house over someone who defends the Saudi regime, who just beheaded a peace activist. Not to mention my cousins in KSA who are forced to hide their Shia identity these days.

I already made the point about the CIA and the US and state sponsored terrorism. Your desire to excuse the Shia groups of all wrong doing and not taking part in crimes betrays your own bias.

I'm neither Sunni nor Shia, American or Saudi. I have no dog in this fight except calling out hypocrisy and double standards.

I like your excuse for the murder of Sunni civilians in Baghdad as a by product of "civil war". Ethnic cleansing was taking place, the redistribution of sectarian lines in Baghdad is a testament to that.

The world's youngest population and a focus on higher education counts for a heck of a lot. Plus the country has more relative freedom than Saudi to boot. That's why they can elect presidents as diverse as Rouhani and Ahmedinijad. That counts for a lot too.

It has not counted for much in the last 37 years. Ahmadinejad's election would indicate millions of Iranians are happy with a religious hardliner hostile to the West. Rouhan is portrayed as a moderate but supports Iranians chanting Death to America and was the secretary of the Supreme National Security Council when that group crushed the 1999 student uprising. It doesn't matter who is elected in Iran's farcical elections, they are loyal to the repressive regime of the Islamic Republic.

It has not counted for much in the last 37 years. Ahmadinejad's election would indicate millions of Iranians are happy with a religious hardliner hostile to the West. Rouhan is portrayed as a moderate but supports Iranians chanting Death to America and was the secretary of the Supreme National Security Council when that group crushed the 1999 student uprising. It doesn't matter who is elected in Iran's farcical elections, they are loyal to the repressive regime of the Islamic Republic.

Iran's elections are considered fairly free actually. Especially compared to, say, Saudi Arabia.

Azih

It has not counted for much in the last 37 years.
You mean the 37 years that started with Iranians of all stripes rebelling against 26 years of oppression by Western installed and backed tyrant Shah in 1979? And 8 years of this period including an indescribably bloody War with Iraq in which the West very much sided with the hostile invading Iraq from 1980-1988? Punctuated with Iranian Air Flight 655? For which there has never been a formal apology? And during this time the West has made it plain that it is supporting a hostile Saudi Arabia in the regional Cold War Iran is involved in? Seriously dude. The whole point of this is to try PEACE for a change and see how that goes unlike the respective stances for the last 37 years. The US has NOT been neutral in the middle east since going back to the days of Mossadegh let alone the current phase of history and nothing in all these decades has been good for the Iranian population.

Or are you saying that it's preferable for hate to continue for ever and ever and ever? That quick resolutions to trespassing incidents and prisoner exchanges are a bad thing?

Edit: And let's not forget that all of this is comparing Iran to Saudi Arabia. I'm no stan of Iran, but I'm comparing Iran to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia here.

Edit2: Honestly the era of American influence in the Middle East that started with Dammam No. 7 in 1938 will be seen by any sane history as an overwhelmingly negative one.

You mean the 37 years that started with Iranians of all stripes rebelling against 38 years of oppression by Western installed and backed tyrant Shah in 1979? And 8 years of this period including an indescribably bloody War with Iraq in which the West very much sided with the hostile invading Iraq from 1980-1988? Punctuated with Iranian Air Flight 655? For which there has never been a formal apology? And during this time the West has made it plain that it is supporting a hostile Saudi Arabia in the regional Cold War Iran is involved in? Seriously dude. The whole point of this is to try PEACE for a change and see how that goes unlike the respective stances for the last 37 years. The US has NOT been neutral in the middle east since going back to the days of Mossadegh let alone the current phase of history and nothing in all these decades has been good for the Iranian population.

Or are you saying that it's preferable for hate to continue for ever and ever and ever? That quick resolutions to trespassing incidents and prisoner exchanges are a bad thing?

Edit: And let's not forget that all of this is comparing Iran to Saudi Arabia. I'm no stan of Iran, but I'm comparing Iran to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia here.

Edit2: Honestly the era of American influence in the Middle East that started with Dammam No. 7 in 1938 will be seen by any sane history as an overwhelmingly negative one.

Where it started is immaterial. Iranians made their bed, now they can lie in it.

The West should not be neutral when it comes to a repressive anti Western theocracy like Iran, whose government has sponsored terrorism and whose citizens march in their thousands calling Death to America, Death to Israel. I see little difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia, they are both vile countries with barbaric practices and full of religious crazies. Iran will not change much regardless of sanctions just as Saudi Arabia has not changed without them. People are naive if they think the country is going to change.

Azih

Where it started is immaterial. Iranians made their bed, now they can lie in it.
Context always matters. To a very large degree Iran didn't make their bed. It was made for them. This is fact.

I see little difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia
Well

1. Kind of racist dude.

2. then the West should be neutral between them and it totally hasn't been.

The West should not be neutral when it comes to a repressive anti Western theocracy like Iran, whose government has sponsored terrorism and whose citizens march in their thousands calling Death to America, Death to Israel. I see little difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia, they are both vile countries with barbaric practices and full of religious crazies. Iran will not change much regardless of sanctions just as Saudi Arabia has not changed without them. People are naive if they think the country is going to change.

How it all started is actually important context for basically everything when it comes to international matters between the West and Iran. To just throw that aside is to a disservice to everyone who is trying to make the region stable. The West is the reason a oppressive theocratic government happened, if it wasn't for Western intervention that installed an oppressive dictator, 1979 may not have happened. Between Iran and Saudi, it is Iran that has the biggest chance to change and the people to become more open to Western nations ideas.

Hopefully this will improve the people's lives and somewhat diminish the number of reasons they have to hate the west.
People here don't hate the west!!! population of Iran is more than 77 million and you see a tiny percent of them in medias that hate west and US, but they aren't the whole people of Iran.

Azih

People here don't hate the west!!! population of Iran is more than 77 million and you see a tiny percent of them in medias that hate west and US, but they aren't the whole people of Iran.
Nah man. You guys are totally just like Saudi Arabia and always will be so we should have sanctions on you for ever.

How it all started is actually important context for basically everything when it comes to international matters between the West and Iran. To just throw that aside is to a disservice to everyone who is trying to make the region stable. The West is the reason a oppressive theocratic government happened, if it wasn't for Western intervention that installed an oppressive dictator, 1979 may not have happened. Between Iran and Saudi, it is Iran that has the biggest chance to change and the people to become more open to Western nations ideas.

The only way it will change is if many of the unelected officials and people in some parts of the military change their attitude towards the US .

The Supreme leader is not some one who likes the US at all and I think is more powerful than the president, it really doesn't matter what the people think unless they change the government however which way.

Also, the US might have imposed new sanctions.

Anion

Hopefully this will improve the people's lives and somewhat diminish the number of reasons they have to hate the west.
Biggest irony is that people hear "Iran" and think of some backwards nation. Iran is highly educated and its citizens, if given freedom, are very modern.

Crisco

Banned
Lifting export sanctions on Iran when the barrel of oil is plunging towards historic lows has got to be one of the biggest trolls in diplomatic history.

Biggest irony is that people hear "Iran" and think of some backwards nation. Iran is highly educated and its citizens, if given freedom, are very modern.
You can still be highly educated and still hate the west on sanctions imposed on your country.
Also, I'm not saying the people of Iran in general hate the west. Just that improving their lives hopefully will lead those who do to at least have less reasons to do so.

She's not talking about the sailors. She's talking about the people released in the swap.

Oriel

Obama giveth as he taketh away.........

The US has imposed fresh sanctions on Iranian companies and individuals over a recent ballistic missile test.

The new sanctions prevent 11 entities and individuals linked to the missile programme from using the US banking system.

The move came after international nuclear sanctions on Iran were lifted as part of a deal hailed by President Barack Obama on Sunday as "smart".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35338901

I doubt Iran will care though. US had already promised to maintain most of its sanctions on Iran anyway, regardless of the nuclear deal so there's not much else the US can do to harm Iran, barring perhaps air strikes on Bushehr. But the big victory for the Ayatollah's is the lifting of international sanctions, the unfreezing of assets and the return of Iran to the international banking system. Chinese companies will do very well from all this now. Investment will flow into Iran and oil will flow out.

And the extra revenue will allow the leadership to divert some of that new funding to its proxy Assad in Damascus. KSA is right to be pissed. They stand to lose big with this deal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You mean the 37 years that started with Iranians of all stripes rebelling against 26 years of oppression by Western installed and backed tyrant Shah in 1979? And 8 years of this period including an indescribably bloody War with Iraq in which the West very much sided with the hostile invading Iraq from 1980-1988? Punctuated with Iranian Air Flight 655? For which there has never been a formal apology? And during this time the West has made it plain that it is supporting a hostile Saudi Arabia in the regional Cold War Iran is involved in? Seriously dude. The whole point of this is to try PEACE for a change and see how that goes unlike the respective stances for the last 37 years. The US has NOT been neutral in the middle east since going back to the days of Mossadegh let alone the current phase of history and nothing in all these decades has been good for the Iranian population.

Let's not forget the US's whitewashing of Saddam's use of chemical weapons in the Iran-Iraq war until years after the fact where they finally admitted that it was a war crime(not surprisingly enough, it was after relations soured with Saddam).

The US even tried to claim that Iran was using chemical weapons as well, without any proof, to make Saddam's use of it morally acceptable.

The US made the bed for Iranians. The removal of sanctions is actually the first step towards reconciliation.

Let's not try to muddle things here, Iran has been wronged by the US far more than the other way.

The West should not be neutral when it comes to a repressive anti Western theocracy like Iran, whose government has sponsored terrorism and whose citizens march in their thousands calling Death to America, Death to Israel. I see little difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia, they are both vile countries with barbaric practices and full of religious crazies.

And that's why your opinion does not count for much. Anyone seriously invested in the politics of the Middle East knows that there is a huge difference between the two countries, that includes the laws, the government and the people themselves.

You essentially have the same neocon ignorant view of Iran as most of the GOP and right wingers in the US.

Iran will not change much regardless of sanctions just as Saudi Arabia has not changed without them. People are naive if they think the country is going to change.

Funny enough, change towards liberal policies is exactly what was happening in Iran until GWB's "axis of evil" spiel, which set back things quite a bit for reformers in the country as it played right into the hands of the hardliners. Wouldn't be surprised if you supported Bush's statements there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom