• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil is in the Middle of a f***** Outrage right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

It takes time for the mobile network operator to stop the wiretapping, you really think that you write an order on paper and it magically happens? It does not, it takes time.

Anyway, Lula was using his employee mobile phone (he says he doesn't have a mobile phone, he says he doesn't have a lot of things) so I don't know the law about this, but I think it was legal as it was his mistake by using a third party phone.

The PF said that the recordings were made after the network operator was already notified.

I guess it's up to each one's bias to believe if technicians had enough time to stop the recordings.

And frankly regardless of how long it would take, if the order to stop was received, any content tapped after it should have not been sent to the PF.

Network operators, internet providers and social networks are at a constant war with our justice in order to protect our privacy rights. A couple weeks ago Facebook brazilain CEO was arrested because the company did not acquiesced to an order to crack open a user profile and sent all it's private messages to a judge. WhatsApp was disabled in our whole country when they refused to provide the password to a user's account.

And yet when it comes to some people networks are not simply obeying judicial orders, but they are actually going above and beyond recording content when they were already told to stop.

The fact is that the PF chief that was in charge of the taps, Luciano Flores de Lima was the same guy that questioned Lula when he was coerced to testify. Testimony that everyone that knows what the fuck is legal (including one of the leaders of PSDB) seems to agree that was not only unnecessary but probably illegal.

Edit: And before any fellow brazilian accuses me of being pro government, complicit of corruption or simply "Petralha", know that if or when Aécio or other "tucanos" are questioned I'll be the first one to defend their rights when shit gets out of the way as it is right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Seems interesting -where John Oliver at to explain all this to me?

tumblr_inline_niwn4it21A1qfwhgs.gif

kAmui-

Some impressive pics of parades in São Paulo

Holy shit that is impressive. Support to the Brazilian people from Finland! Hope you can solve this clusterfuck and get rid of those corrupt fuckers. If not soon, definitely should use the olympic games as a platform to shed some light on the situation.

Tugatrix

This is outrageous, no politician should be imune from prosecution let alone like this.

aguentem ai irmãos brasileiros

kiguel182

What the government did there was a fucking disgrace. They have every right to be outraged.

They pretty much admitted to being all corrupt by protecting him. It's a mockery of democracy and a mockery of the people too. I still can't believe they had the nerve to pull that off.

Hopefully something is done because if they get away with this it just sets a dangerous and sad precedent.

Jackpot

Banned
OP should post details of the leaked recordings.

A developing country full of corrupt officials? What's new?

Some of you guys often make it sound like it's the end of the world when every country goes through these stages before a lasting democracy is built.

You realise it's real people that get hurt by corruption? What kind of silly "I'm so above it all" post was that? Are you seriously advocating people don't pursue justice?

A developing country full of corrupt officials? What's new?

Some of you guys often make it sound like it's the end of the world when every country goes through these stages before a lasting democracy is built.

Has any former colony developed a long-lasting stable democracy outside of the Anglosphere?

Yeah, things here are pretty much fucked. The govermnent is desperate and they made a very risk move nominating Lula as a minister, protecting him from the Police of Curitiba.

Some people say the judge violated the constitution releasing the material (which includes the wiretapping) from Lava Jato's 24th phase. I don't think so (and also many jurists), and he also always did this when the material had served its purpose on previous operations of Lava Jato, but, strangely, when it involves Lula, people seems to act differently.

I don't know if Impeachment will happen, but the goverment is composed by a criminal group and they won't drop the power for nothing. Even if the impeachment happens, they'll probably find a way to stay in power, even if this mean to put down the republic.

No, I'm not a fan of Bolsonaro, I fucking hate him and PSDB, and I voted for "Eduardo Jorge" in 2014 elections, so don't try to lecture me to look like an "isentão".

Isn't that the point of encryption?

Of course. But the argument was made endlessly in the Apple case how privacy > all while everyone now is cheering at this violation of privacy for the greater good.
While what Roussef did is quite amoral I doubt it's illegal.

Jotaka

The front faces will change and nothing will change as usual. I am not wasting my time to pay attention to this circus.

Dilma just found a great way to end crime. Make everyone a government official.

Brazilian girls, as always, I will welcome you with open arms.

The front faces will change and nothing will change as usual. I am not wasting my time to pay attention to this circus.

This is not true, of course it will change, it won't just be the ideal scenary. Will corruption still happen? Of course, but things will slowly move to a better scenary, this is babysteps.

Remeber the 2013 protests? Because of those, Dilma validated some anticorruption laws, which includes the "plea bargaining", which was the main power source of Lava Jato's operation.

If people want to change everything in like one year, then this will never happen and things will the same forever.

The Hermit

We are in a scary position now, basically because we have no idea what's gonna happen.

It's a three way chess match between the powers of the Estate, and the biggest losers are the population and no sinners.

This government has no moral or ethics. Yesterday was one of the most shameful moments in this country's history.

I hope the Supreme Court make things right, but almost all the judges were appointed by Lula or Rousseff.

Didn't he argue for super encryption on phones to they could not be tapped ?
He argued that Apple shouldn't compromise all of their security features to help the government, yes. And it's a super good argument. The point kind of was that in this case, the greater good is keeping the privacy intact for a multitude of reasons.

Of course. But the argument was made endlessly in the Apple case how privacy > all while everyone now is cheering at this violation of privacy for the greater good.
While what Roussef did is quite amoral I doubt it's illegal.
He also did a piece on Edward Snowden which is a little closer, yeah?

The Hermit

How about at least 50 consecutive years of peaceful transitions of power and open elections post-decolonization?

50 years is nothing, politicaly speaking, and you are forgeting about The Military Dictatorship that ended The years I was born in 85.

And I love this quote:

luiz_inacio_lula_da_no_brasil_e_assim_quando_um_pobre_r_g3qdq6.jpg

It says, "In Brasil if a poor steals he goes to prison, but if a rich steals he become Minister" - Lula in 1988

Tiops

The judge did not leak anything. He removed the secrecy of the recordings, a secrecy that he put there in the first place. The Organization of Federal Judges sent a note supporting Sergio Moro's actions, and saying why that wasn't illegal or anything. And that's all I'm going to talk about if it was legal or not, really not in the mood to discuss with pro government users, the revealed conversations are outrageous and I hope we get rid of this government as soon as possible.

Nakho

Ay caramba. The Brazilian government has been overthrown so many times, I'm really worried this might be the collapse of the governmental system / democracy in Brazil again.

Not really?

AFAIK, 3 times since the Republic was established (1889) and only once since 1945.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If the constitution has inherent issues that promote or protect corruption, it's pretty much inevitable that eventually the military will overthrow the government, amend the constitution, and then maybe call for elections.

Nakho

Coup d'état??????? LMAO! You're on a roll mister.

How can a government (democratically elected by the way) perform a coup...against itself?

And how can a nomination be considered a coup? I think the word you're looking for is "obstruction of justice" isn't it? But how can it be obstruction if the person in question will still be judged, except at a hierarchical superior court?

Geez...I guess anything goes if you guys overthrown the government right?

Personally I think that it's good that our people have finally awakened and are not willing to accept all the wrong doings that have been committed against our country by the people in power. But I don't agree that throwing away our constitution, basic civil rights and due process is the way to fix our democracy.

Judge Moro is proof that the system can work. And the only way to impeach the government is working through the system.

When the leader of the opposition, the guys most interested in impeaching the president says that the coercive questioning of Lula was not legal and the masses scream "who cares, just throw him in jail", you know something is not right.

Calm down, he was talking about Vargas.

I guess everyone can see how heated things are in Brazil by this exchange, lol.

HabeeNo

Moro is that boy, adding more fuel to the already huge fire, extremely ballsy move. But honestly, I don't think anything will come out of this.

Rolling back about a week or so: If 6 million people go to the streets to ask for justice and have a thief sent to jail, and the president's response to that is to make that thief a Minister so he can escape from the judge that has putting work into finding the truth, that's how you know shit's beyond fucked.

What pisses me off the most is when other politicians try to take advantage of the popular manifest, trying to act almighty when they ain't very different from the pigs up top.

Nakho

Sht my wife is going to rio for work on sunday! Hope shell be okay, what with all the protests and zika

I don't think these protests are very violent, since there is no police repression this time (unlike in 2013). She should be fine. Zika is also way overblown if you're not a pregnant woman, it's a very mild sickness, Guillain-Barré cases not withstanding (they're pretty rare).

Tiops

Moro is that boy, adding more fuel to the already huge fire, extremely ballsy move. But honestly, I don't think anything will come out of this.

Rolling back about a week or so: If 6 million people go to the streets to ask for justice and have a thief sent to jail, and the president's response to that is to make that thief a Minister so he can escape from the judge that has putting work into finding the truth, that's how you know shit's beyond fucked.

What pisses me off the most is when other politicians try to take advantage of the popular manifest, trying to act almighty when they ain't very different from the pigs up top.

One of the hopes is that Lula burned a lot of bridges with those conversations. Lots of people should be shoving stuff in their asses, according to Lula.

Frodo

Meanwhile the current government's (and Dilma's herself) Anti-corruption plan remains blocked at the house as the opposition manoeuvres around it not to vote it, as te opposition has been doing since they lost the last election not allowing the government to do anything. And saying that Lula is the most corrupt person ever to be president is a downright lie. He's not even the most corrupt of the last 30 years (Brazil did have an actual impeachment 24 years ago, if you care to remember, OP), let alone ever. Not to say it isn't outraging what they pulled out here making him a minister, but a little bit of context and looking at both sides could help OP a bit.

Lula is the boss of the biggest corruption scandal of Brazil, which might be the biggest corruption scandal of the world. Of course he is the most corrupt president of our country. It's so big that we still don't know the extension of goverment money loss. Currently it's already at the scale of BILLIONS of U$, and this is only Petrobrás money steal, I can't even imagine when the police start to investigate BNDES. (if they will ever get there)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it in the newspaper this morning (Argentinian here), and I couldn't believe it. This is incredibly disgusting, and this is coming from someone whose country just ended 12 straight years of the most corrupt governments in its history.

I don't get what Rousseff is trying to get out of this. Wouldn't this ruin her chances of ever getting into politics again?

Shredderi

I'm actually a little surprised how obviously blatant corrupt world leaders aren't just assassinated more often. I know if I was an obviously heavily corrupt president in a country with a lot people I would be scared everyday for my life.

Ogodei

Has any former colony developed a long-lasting stable democracy outside of the Anglosphere?

Depends on how you define long-lasting. Botswana and India have run unbroken since independence (though India had a state of emergency for a bit). Costa Rica's been good since the civil war in '48, almost 70 years of stability.

The Latin American colonies specifically were built on unstable systems of classism and exploitation that make it hard even for the non-elite parties like Brazil's Workers' Party to see politics as more than a zero-sum game.

That said, PT's done a fair amount of good. The more leftist parties really roll on patronage, though, which makes them prime for corruption, but that hardly means their opposition is any better, since by and large they're bought and sold by the megacorporations and often have historical ties to death squads.

I'm actually a little surprised how obviously blatant corrupt world leaders aren't just assassinated more often. I know if I was an obviously heavily corrupt president in a country with a lot people I would be scared everyday for my life.

Top leadership (e.g. President, King, Prime Minister) assassinations are rare, and in developing countries are more often perpetrated by elites rather than by disaffected citizens. Lone wolf assassins are more unique to richer countries.

I don't get what Rousseff is trying to get out of this. Wouldn't this ruin her chances of ever getting into politics again?
Wasnt an elected politician before. Unlikely that she'd continue to seek elected positions after the presidency. Most presidents don't. Sarney and Collor are the exceptions, and those two... Well, they're those two.

Didn't he argue for super encryption on phones to they could not be tapped ?

No. He argued that Apple shouldn't be forced to create a backdoor into their phones that will bypass the encryption of the data contained on the device. That has absolutely nothing to do with wiretapping, which is a separate issue entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom