• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default 2 Announced (Switch | 2020)

Exentryk

Hell yeah! Been waiting for this forever!

A new world, a new story, and all-new Heroes of Light await in an original RPG experience arriving on the Nintendo Switch system in 2020! This successor to the original Bravely Default game comes from the team that brought you the Bravely series and Octopath Traveler, and features music from Revo (Sound Horizon/Linked Horizon), acclaimed composer of the Bravely Default soundtrack.

• Brand-new entry in Square Enix’s Bravely Series
  • Travel the world in search of the four Crystals with the latest incarnation of the brave band known as the Heroes of Light
  • Latest creation from Team Asano, creators of the Bravely series and Octopath Traveler
  • New world filled with new characters, but with the atmosphere and excitement the Bravely series is known for.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Have they hired a new narrative director? Because every game they've ever done has had such a weak narrative that I can never be bothered to finish. Hopefully they've addressed that.

Arachnid

Dude, this made my night already. Bravely default on console? FUCK yes.

Wish they kept the naming scheme though.

Last edited:
I can't get excited for the game, until we know whether this will be another title with visual and content changes. Hopefully the developers and the franchise have come far enough that it'll be released unscathed, outside of Japan.

What do you mean?
Both DS games had visuals altered for the Western releases, specifically related to certain costumes. The second DS game had a decent bit of side mission content removed for convoluted reasons, which some players felt negatively affected the story and created plot holes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It'd be nice if they would release a Bravely First and Second collection for Switch, for those of us who never played them and can't bear to look at the sub SD screen of the 3DS.
Yap, I still have both games for my 3DS but I would love to play them again on my Switch.

MagnesG

Banned
It's weird why they didn't just call this Bravely Third. Regardless, I'm really excited we have this.

Day 1!
According to the website, this series soon follow FF on their naming sequence. BD II will be an entirely a new story, which makes Bravely Second only a a sequel just like FFX-2.

KàIRóS

A new world, a new story, and all-new Heroes of Light await in an original RPG experience arriving on the Nintendo Switch system in 2020! This successor to the original Bravely Default game comes from the team that brought you the Bravely series and Octopath Traveler, and features eargasmic battle theme music from Revo (Sound Horizon/Linked Horizon), acclaimed composer of the Bravely Default soundtrack.

I properly changed that description, Nintendo can thank me later.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Bring it. Bravely Second sucked, but the first was so good I'm still optimistic.

Barakov

Gold Member
Should probably get around to playing Bravely Default 1. Will probably skip Bravely Second given what I've heard about it.

Dontero

Banned
Bring it. Bravely Second sucked, but the first was so good I'm still optimistic.

They both sucked. They are basically JRPGs for mobile era when people don't know any better.

Playing it after playing something like FF8 is like listening to amateur playing first time piano after listening to winner of Chopin tournament. Combat is great but due to game design it is completely and utterly monotonous because game is essentially empty and aside from long boring dungeons there is nothing else to do.

I still remember being hyped about 1st looking at that nice graphics and then realizing it is just smoke and mirrors.
SE made a bank though. Game probably cost like few pizzas for interns to make and some money on voice overs.

Last edited:

Graciaus

The combat and customization were interesting in the games. But the first game eventually is awful and the second I stopped playing. They really need to work on the story aspect this time.

Hopefully like octopath it will come to pc eventually. It could also be modded back hopefully if they start changing things again for the west.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
LaboVR support. Just do it, Brave team.

Well that was unexpected. It seems the character designs and music are going to be as good as in the previous games.

And of course the story will be lackluster (even though I find the dialogues well written). SE and the teams under it will continue to be blind to the flaws in the writing department of their games. I couldn't get past chapter 4 in Bravely 1st despite having a blast with the battle system.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
They both sucked. They are basically JRPGs for mobile era when people don't know any better.

Playing it after playing something like FF8 is like listening to amateur playing first time piano after listening to winner of Chopin tournament. Combat is great but due to game design it is completely and utterly monotonous because game is essentially empty and aside from long boring dungeons there is nothing else to do.

I still remember being hyped about 1st looking at that nice graphics and then realizing it is just smoke and mirrors.
SE made a bank though. Game probably cost like few pizzas for interns to make and some money on voice overs.

Feel better now you got that off your chest? Yeah? Good for you.

McRazzle

Bad compared to FF8 ?
I didn't know a RPG could be that bad.

Dontero

Banned
Bad compared to FF8 ?
I didn't know a RPG could be that bad.

Imagine game where 95% of gameplay is going through some dungeon like level with 0 points of interest that strictly requires you to go from A to B fighting random battles.

This is Bravely Default. Oh and don't forget that you need to do game MULTIPLE times in order to get proper ending with only difference being mix of boss battles and some dialog changes.

Now compare to FF8 with its interesting levels where player had to do usually something else than just go from A to B. You had to find someone, take specific monster, meet someone, travel to some place, explore city, investigate ruins and figure out puzzle, hunt for secrets, find some specific monsters with special draw abilities, visit dream of some soldier, take part in mass scale battle and that is just few of the things you did.

Aside from that you had like 20-30 hours of dialogs, events, FMVs, interesting story and so on that was something else that fighting same repeated battles non stop.

One location in FF8 has more art and "screens" than whole BD1.

This is FF8. And this is not even best FF.

Feel better now you got that off your chest? Yeah? Good for you.

Diagnosis: butthurt that someone said truth

Last edited:
The game is coming out next year. You could tell the game has a super low budget for a console JRPG. At least the music will be amazing. Hope I'm wrong though.

MagnesG

Banned
Imagine game where 95% of gameplay is going through some dungeon like level with 0 points of interest that strictly requires you to go from A to B fighting random battles.

This is Bravely Default. Oh and don't forget that you need to do game MULTIPLE times in order to get proper ending with only difference being mix of boss battles and some dialog changes.

Now compare to FF8 with its interesting levels where player had to do usually something else than just go from A to B. You had to find someone, take specific monster, meet someone, travel to some place, explore city, investigate ruins and figure out puzzle, hunt for secrets, find some specific monsters with special draw abilities, visit dream of some soldier, take part in mass scale battle and that is just few of the things you did.

Aside from that you had like 20-30 hours of dialogs, events, FMVs, interesting story and so on that was something else that fighting same repeated battles non stop.

People had played both and would know what's going on with the games, no need for your so called "imagination".

Both are RPG with varied strengths, not to mention all those story bullshit in FF8 are not really that palatable either, with boring to okay busywork.

BD focuses more on it's gameplay with emphasis on exploring all the jobs, which means you will grind a lot. A whole lot of grinding and less of sightseeing graphics. Still, the game just need only that to be good and satisfying. It will never gonna go for that FF cinematic experience.

Of course, everyone's tastes are different. I just don't understand what's the need to undermine those grinds, even JPN version had much harder grind cause people love to do so, due to it's mechanics.

Last edited:

Labadal

I'm in. Both Bravely games that I played looked great and played well, but had bad story and mostly poorly written characters. While Octopath Traveler wasn't a narrative masterpiece, it was way ahead of both Bravely games. Just give me fun turn-based combat and the job system and I'm set.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
People had played both and would know what's going on with the games, no need for your so called "imagination".

Both are RPG with varied strengths, not to mention all those story bullshit in FF8 are not really that palatable either, with boring to okay busywork.

BD focuses more on it's gameplay with emphasis on exploring all the jobs, which means you will grind a lot. A whole lot of grinding and less of sightseeing graphics. Still, the game just need only that to be good and satisfying. It will never gonna go for that FF cinematic experience.

Of course, everyone's tastes are different. I just don't understand what's the need to undermine those grinds, even JPN version had much harder grind cause people love to do so, due to it's mechanics.

I agree with you. I very much enjoy the Job system and the lack of story emphasis. The series also has it's charm and I treasure that very much.

It's a throwback to the old FF games which were more about gameplay and less about story.

Which if you take away the story bits from later FF games all you have left is the repetition of battle encounters and going from point A to Point B. Ultimately poor argument.

Only thing certain FF's have over Bravely is GILGAMESH.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Mista

Banned
I’m in for default and not second. So yeah, good title.

Bravely-Default-II_2019_12-12-19_001.jpg

Shaqazooloo

So was Bravely Second not Bravely Default II? Why not name this Bravely Third?

It's like if Banjo Threeie was announced but instead of naming it that they called it Banjo & Kazooie 2...

ROMhack

Interasting. I really didn't like Octopath Traveller so I'll stay at arm's length but I do hope it turns out to be good.

Also reminds me that Switch Switch needs a new Radiant Historia game.

Last edited:

Fbh

Have they hired a new narrative director? Because every game they've ever done has had such a weak narrative that I can never be bothered to finish. Hopefully they've addressed that.

This is my take too.
To me, stories and characters are just as important as nice visuals and turn based combat when it comes to oldschool JRPG's. And it's the one area where this dev keeps failing.

If this is just going to be more of the same story wise then I'm not too interested.

ROMhack

This is my take too.
To me, stories and characters are just as important as nice visuals and turn based combat when it comes to oldschool JRPG's. And it's the one area where this dev keeps failing.

If this is just going to be more of the same story wise then I'm not too interested.

I'd say it's the most important thing. The idea of investing 40 hours into something that has s weak story is madness IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

Haha. Sorry mac, I'm not gonna waste my time defending, to you, why I like that thing you don't like. The only one who seems butthurt here is you, because a thing you don't like exist.

Seems an odd way to spend your time, but hey, whatever floats your misery boat.

Top Bottom