• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Born again PC gamer looking for tips, tricks, and advice.

I have primarily been gaming on console (Playstation) for the last 10ish years and haven't been involved in PC gaming since my last build in 2015 which was a 980ti and a 6700k. Long story short, i was starting to get excited about some upcoming MS games and was very tempted into buying an XsX.

Just this morning my nowinstock beeper went off and i was able to snag a 4090 for "cheap" so i said F it and went the PC route instead since all the games are there anyway. All my friends game on Playstation consoles and most of them have grown out of gaming altogether so I will be essentially starting off fresh in the eco system.

Just wondering what the consensus is on must have applications/services/games. In addition is there somewhere i can go to plug into a community that mare share my gaming interests?

Oh and the build for those interested:

-MSI Gaming Trio 4090
-Intel 13900k
-Samsung evo pro 990
-32 gbs DDR5 @ 6400
-MSI Carbon Z790 Wifi mother board
-EVGA 1300 watt platinum PSU
- LG C2 "42" 4K OLED

Super excited and cant wait to jump in after this thing is put together.

Edit: all finished, time to play some games:

VyLY8ss.jpg
QCSJxWI.jpg
ffZsiKx.jpg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Just wondering what the consensus is on must have applications/services/games.
Steam.
GOG for offline installers.
EGS for free giveaways.

Games to buy and start with style:

For full pure goodness:
>Black Mesa
>DUSK.
>AMID EVIL.

For goodness + visual glory:
>Cyberpunk 2077
>Elden Ring
>Metro Exodus

In addition is there somewhere i can go to plug into a community that mare share my gaming interests?
NeoGAF. Discord.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Only browse the Steam store using your web browser that has Augmented Steam installed

twilo99

Gamepass is essential, loads of quality games and entertainment.

You didn’t mention OS but go for 11 instead of 10, it seems to handle direct storage a bit better.

dcx4610

Looks like a good build. There isn't a whole lot to say. Install Steam and Epic and buy and play what you want.

PC gaming has never been easier or more stable. It's pretty much like a console now where you launch the game and it auto-configs for your build.

Last edited:

Marchizmo

Game Pass on PC is not worth it. You can try most games on Steam and refund any games you don't like.
I feel like that's abusing a no ask return policy intended to help with hardware or technical issues, not treat it like gamefly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My basic tips:
-Don't install geforce experience. Just the drivers
-Install MSI afterburner and RTSS. configure the osd to show cpu/gpu usage and temps.
-Be sure to always check pcgamingwiki.com before you play a game. Very good handful of tips there usually and things that will make the game better or fix it.
-Of course keep your drivers up to date. Do not forget the UEFI motherboard updates too and chipset drivers.
-cheapshark and cdkeys are great places to look for cheap keys
-Force x16 af in nvidia control panel globally
-Be sure to set refresh rate in nvidia control panel. I know plenty of people with 144hz monitors who game at 60hz. Enable VRR too.
-DLSS quality is better than Native res most of the time
-If you end up getting xbox controller, be sure to get it's wireless dongle. Much better working than bluetooth

For games, there are a lot but since you have an incredible pc, be sure to play Metro Exodus enhanced edition with full Ray Tracing. That game is amazing system tester.
Uncharted 4 honestly still holds up to. pc version is good.

Always turn off film grain, chromatic aberration, and motion blur. Turn off depth of field too.
Don't do any of that. Try the options and suit yourself and do not deal in absolutes. be open, try options
People who disable motion blur still do that because old style motion blur sucked ass. Nowadays, per pixel and per object motion blur can be amazing. Depth of field also can be really good looking.
Film Grain is not just an annoying effect. It is an important part of image quality construction as it helps to REDUCE DITHERING in few games like Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes. Helps avoid posterization. And I personally just like it. And with dlss and other TAA techniques, games can look quite soft and plastic without film grain

edit: You got a monitor? I recommend 4k 144 or 4k120hz oled with 4090. Would look amazing

Last edited:
My basic tips:
-Don't install geforce experience. Just the drivers
-Install MSI afterburner and RTSS. configure the osd to show cpu/gpu usage and temps.
-Be sure to always check pcgamingwiki.com before you play a game. Very good handful of tips there usually and things that will make the game better or fix it.
-Of course keep your drivers up to date. Do not forget the UEFI motherboard updates too and chipset drivers.
-cheapshark and cdkeys are great places to look for cheap keys
-Force x16 af in nvidia control panel globally
-Be sure to set refresh rate in nvidia control panel. I know plenty of people with 144hz monitors who game at 60hz. Enable VRR too.
-DLSS quality is better than Native res most of the time
-If you end up getting xbox controller, be sure to get it's wireless dongle. Much better working than bluetooth

For games, there are a lot but since you have an incredible pc, be sure to play Metro Exodus enhanced edition with full Ray Tracing. That game is amazing system tester.
Uncharted 4 honestly still holds up to. pc version is good.

Don't do any of that. Try the options and suit yourself and do not deal in absolutes. be open, try options
People who disable motion blur still do that because old style motion blur sucked ass. Nowadays, per pixel and per object motion blur can be amazing. Depth of field also can be really good looking.
Film Grain is not just an annoying effect. It is an important part of image quality construction as it helps to REDUCE DITHERING in few games like Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes. Helps avoid posterization. And I personally just like it. And with dlss and other TAA techniques, games can look quite soft and plastic without film grain

edit: You got a monitor? I recommend 4k 144 or 4k120hz oled with 4090. Would look amazing
Thank you very much for the very detailedwrite up. I will for sure be referencing this after it built and running.

Yes i do have a monitor on the way as well. Its an

AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED Gaming Monitor

Heard it was pretty good and i was able to snag it for $800 earlier today.

Guilty_AI

Thank you very much for the very detailedwrite up. I will for sure be referencing this after it built and running.

Some counter advice.

Do not update your motherboard drivers.
Only do it when:
>Its strictly critical you do. Like some serious security breach was uncovered and a newer version patches it, or your BIOS is really really old for some reason and is lacking a bunch of features.
>Some new feature that you want was added

Updating BIOS can be quite a headache and possibly risk so i don't recommend you do it very often.

Also, i wouldn't bother with MSI afterburner and RTSS unless you want to do benchmarks and detailed tinkering.

And finally, theres nothing wrong with using Geforce experience to update your drivers. People don't like it cause some of its side-features (like setting optimization) is quite bad, or because you have to log in with google or some other account in order to use it. However you can just ignore these other features, its still the most hassle-free way to update GPU drivers.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Always turn off film grain, chromatic aberration, and motion blur. Turn off depth of field too.
I like keeping motion blur but yeah, I liked chromatic aberration before and started hating it this gen.

For OP, I'd say if you have an HDR-able screen, you should definitely download the HDR calibration software from MS in the Windows Store, it basically fixes Windows HDR calibration

Buggy Loop

Jesus christ, you went balls deep on your return to PC lol

twilo99

Game Pass on PC is not worth it. You can try most games on Steam and refund any games you don't like.

But they you have to pay for the full game if you want to play it through..

I have ultimate so I get the cloud thing, which is great for trying stuff out before you download

I don't even bother with steam anymore. Its a great option if I need something specific that's not on gp.

That's the beauty of being on windows tho, lots of options.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Dont do any of that.
Test the game and see if you like the look.
Dont get bullied into believing all these post effects are absolutely horrible.
There is a cult of master race who have seemingly been indoctrinated into hating motion blur and depth of field even if both effects are generally implemented well in AAA games.

Hell per-pixel and per-object motion blur is absolutely amazing
Full on motion blur in racing games is all but a must to get any sense of speed if you drive in 3rd person view.

Dont do any of that.
Test the game and see if you like the look.
Dont get bullied into believing all these post effects are absolutely horrible.
There is a cult of master race who have seemingly been indoctrinated into hating motion blur and depth of field even if both effects are generally implemented well in AAA games.

Hell per-pixel and per-object motion blur is absolutely amazing
Full on motion blur in racing games is all but a must to get any sense of speed if you drive in 3rd person view.
Agree that OP should try out the settings first. I too sometimes keep motion blur/DOF on based on how they look per game. On the other hand, film grain and CA I always tend to turn off in the end. But yes, try them all out first.

Beauty of PC gaming is choice and customization (apart from performance ofc, but that's a factor of how much money you can spend). Embrace choice. Spend a little time on customizing the look and feel of the games you play to how you like by tweaking and mods.

Speaking of mods, bookmark this site: https://www.nexusmods.com/

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Agree that OP should try out the settings first. I too sometimes keep motion blur/DOF on based on how they look per game. On the other hand, film grain and CA I always tend to turn off in the end. But yes, try them all out first.

Beauty of PC gaming is choice and customization (apart from performance ofc, but that's a factor of how much money you can spend). Embrace choice. Spend a little time on customizing the look and feel of the games you play to how you like by tweaking and mods.

Speaking of mods, bookmark this site: https://www.nexusmods.com/
I dont know why anyone would turn off Depth of Field.
Cutscenes look overly sharp with depth of field off, even none bokeh depth of field helps frame a scene better than having unlimited range focus.
And no my eyes dont naturally blur what im not focusing on because im effectively focusing on the whole screen.
And this is coming from someone with an UltraWide monitor.

Playing without per pixel and/or per object motion blur....NEVER!!!

Chiggs

My personal advice is to inform everyone in your life that you have a high-end Gaming PC. The point is to make them understand that they're shit and you're champagne. Rub it in their face early and often. Your post here was a good start.

Also, don't expect to make any real friends. PC Gaming, first and foremost, is about superiority and domination. Any relationships formed with other PC Gamers are bound to be A) fleeting, and B) undone by whoever upgrades to a more powerful system. This, of course, means that if you're not rich, or simply incapable of depriving your family of things like food, clothes and air conditioning, don't bother playing. I know you think your system is pretty good right now, and you're right...but in a year's time it will be garbage and nobody will care.

In short, PC Gaming is basically like Highlander for the rich, semi-rich, wannabe-rich, and middle class shitheads who give it their all at the altar of technology.

And as the saying goes, "there can be only one." And it's unlikely to be you.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Just wondering what the consensus is on must have applications/services/games. In addition is there somewhere i can go to plug into a community that mare share my gaming interests?
Games: Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus, RDR2 - all maxed out, naturally.
Apps: as few as possible. Keep that sucker clean and lean to minimise the chances of frametime spikes.
-MSI Gaming Trio 4090
-Intel 13900k
-Samsung evo pro 990
-32 gbs DDR5 @ 6400
-Asus ROG Strix 790 E mother board
-EVGA 1300 watt platinum PSU
-AORUS FO48U 48" 4K OLED Gaming Monitor
That's a pretty bananas rig. I'd love an OLED myself but I really want someone to release a 32" 4K one.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Warning: My response will be VR related.

With that amazing rig, if you want an unique experience that you cannot have on any other platform, then go for MS Flight Simulator in a 4K VR headset.

Another exclusive VR experience (racing) that cannot be had anywhere else is Automobilista 2, one of the best VR racing games out there.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Use a fps limiter to global cap your fps to whatever is your monitor's max refresh rate so that you don't pointlessly run old games or games you don't want vsynced at 200000fps maxing your GPU and adding to your electricity bill for 0 benefit.

Last edited:
Games: Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus, RDR2 - all maxed out, naturally.
Apps: as few as possible. Keep that sucker clean and lean to minimise the chances of frametime spikes.

That's a pretty bananas rig. I'd love an OLED myself but I really want someone to release a 32" 4K one.
Thanks, the price/feature set of the oled was too good to pass up. I wish it was 32" as well. I had to buy a 38" Depth desk as a result just so i would go blind.

Warning: My response will be VR related.

With that amazing rig, if you want an unique experience that you cannot have on any other platform, then go for MS Flight Simulator in a 4K VR headset.

Another exclusive VR experience (racing) that cannot be had anywhere else is Automobilista 2, one of the best VR racing games out there.
What VR would you recommend? Any idea if the PSVR 2 will be compatible with PC? Would be nice to only have to buy one that i could use on both.

Jaybe

Install MSI Afterburner for monitoring frames, cpu core usage, vram, ram and fps while playing. It is usually packaged with Riva Tuner which I’ve also used for frame capping, not sure if still true but the advice was previous to cap frames to a few less than the screen if you were usuibg GSYNC (eg cap at 141 for a 144 screen). Some sites go into the reasoning in detail.

Top Bottom