• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Image Reveals First Look At Video Game Characters In Live-Action

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why all these game adaptations? Are they good now or are they making money now? And why Borderlands? I thought that game barely had any story. Is it a movie about upgrading guns and loot drops? And who is this targeted at? And why? And so many questions.
Mario, Sonic, TLoU, Halo have all been pretty successful so far. So of course, expect every semi-popular game franchise to get adapted to its own cinematic universe now. Hollywood needs the next growth opportunity after YA fiction and comic book adaptations.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
image.png

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Good god how is this film still in production? Randy Pitchford was talking from the set and interviewing the actors in costume like five E3s ago.

Last edited:

Boralf

Mario, Sonic, TLoU, Halo have all been pretty successful so far. So of course, expect every semi-popular game franchise to get adapted to its own cinematic universe now. Hollywood needs the next growth opportunity after YA fiction and comic book adaptations.
But they're all also pretty mediocre, so wonder if people keep coming back for more. And I also think Borderlands isn't as popular as those franchises. But could be good I guess if it's a bit like Mad Max Fury Road with lots of good action sequences.

I’m surprised that Cate Blanchett is cast as Lilith. I kind of wouldn’t think that an actress of her calibre would be into something like this. I hope it’s genuinely funny.
i think people like cate blanchett depend on their underlings' opinions of what's cool. & i think that, in this case, her underlings were mistaken...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But they're all also pretty mediocre, so wonder if people keep coming back for more. And I also think Borderlands isn't as popular as those franchises. But could be good I guess if it's a bit like Mad Max Fury Road with lots of good action sequences.
Guess we’ll see, but mediocrity doesn’t usually prevent something from being commercially successful and profitable.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Sure, let’s get the shortest black we can find to play Roland, sounds good 😂

Edit - I swear I thought I typed “guy” after black above. I didn’t realize until someone just commented on this. Sorry Gaf 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
For frame of reference Kate Blanchett is 54 and Lilith is supposed to be 27. Not sure why the cast looks like NPCs straight out of Starfield. Looks like a bad adaptation based on that alone.

Strange avoidance of Siren tattoo insignia as well.

It'll probably flop.

Neolombax

Looks like cosplay....and a miscast. Cate Blanchet and Kevin Hart do not fit with their characters. The trailer might change my mind, but I dont think so.

Quantum253

Kevin Hart is a weird Roland.
Claptrap was one of my favorite side characters back then, Borderlands was something unique when it launched.
Curious how Dr. Zed, Marcus, Torque, Crazy Earl all come out.
I'll wait for the previews but more than likely wait for it on a streaming service

You’re putting up way too high of a bar for it to pass, and you’re setting yourself up for disappointment lol.

it’s like bunch of old people cosplaying as video game characters.
Quite a bit of Hollywood has a big problem right now in that they’re holding on to older, well-known actors for dear life and not giving the newer talent much work and exposure. Anthony Mackie’s point about the lack of superstars still is very valid to this day, but it’s partly Hollywood’s fault for diluting their impact and sidelining younger talents.

I don’t even know how many actors GAF members know below the age of 33 who aren’t from Marvel and aren’t Sydney Sweeney or Timothee Chalamet…At least not without doing some googling first.

You look at any casting thread here and people’s first go-to’s for big, decade spanning franchises (like Bond), are actors who are already 45+ in age.

If this works depends heavily on the director and writer. Both seemingly done by Eli Roth. I am not at all familiar with his (mostly horror) works and only know him as the Bear Jew in Inglorious Basterds as an actor. Some name like Besson or Villeneuve who have already proven to be able to make somewhat weird sci fi work would warrant more confidence. But a trailer will tell more than some image.

kyussman

Don't think I've ever seen a movie with Kevin Hart in......that won't change with the release of this one,lol.

old-parts

I guess Eli Roth was able to convince actual talent like Jamie Lee Curtis and Cate Blanchett to do this movie but it still feels surreal seeing it.

Their age is a bit off but its not a 1:1 of the games, still though cant shake the feeling having played the game back on Xbox 360 it's so strange to see a live action movie.

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

I'll hold optimistic reservation that this could be ok. There's some good actors cast, Cate Blanchett is always a treat... But... I dunno, it just doesn't quite sit right with me with how it all looks so far. We'll see.

Top Bottom