• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booze calculator: What's your drinking nationality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

In the month of December alcohol consumption increases as many people celebrate the festive season. In particular, the last Friday before Christmas - popularly known as "mad Friday" in the UK - can be the moment when many drink to excess.

But how does your drinking measure up to the average in countries around the world? Find out below if you are similar to a boozy Belarusian or a teetotal Kuwaiti.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372

Per person, the top five consumers of each type of drink are:

Beer

Namibia
Gabon
Romania
Lithuania
Czech Republic

Wine

Portugal
France
Andorra
Denmark
Croatia

Spirits

Moldova
Grenada
Belarus
Russia
Kazakhstan

Other drinks

Nigeria
Uganda
Rwanda
South Korea
Sierra Leone

What is meant by 'other' drinks?

This category is dominant in swathes of sub-Saharan Africa, largely due to the popularity of beer made from sorghum, a grain that thrives in hot climates and can withstand harsh droughts.

Sorghum is also used to produce Chinese Baijiu, an extra-strong spirit traditionally downed in shots. The most prestigious brand of Baijiu is called Moutai and is associated with Mao Zedong's revolutionary struggle.

Soju, a liquor made from rice, dominates in South Korea - and local favourite Jinro Soju is also reportedly the best-selling brand of spirit in the world.

As beer is defined in the data as being based on malt, and wine from grapes, any other fermented drink, whether made from sorghum, maize, millet, rice, or from fruits other than grapes, would fall into the "other" category.

And since it can mean such a varied range of drinks, this category is difficult to factor in to our calculation of which country best matches your drinking data.

pa22word

Starting my 8 day christmas vacation today and with last night's retirement party of a dude who worked there 25 years + the 6 fingers of laphroiag ive downed since getting home to get things rolling im already at belarus territory according to the bbc

SDCowboy

During the holidays...
You drink like you're from Namibia, which is the 33rd heaviest-drinking country in the world.

Normally...I got the same result but with completely taking the spirit drinks out (that I only drink with eggnog during the holidays).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dat Russian stereotype.
nmxDWDn.png

HrVpr7V.png

Slow down, bros. You too, Finland.

Alx

I could go to the 39th lightest drinking country (Lebanon). And even then that's because I've had a business dinner and the christmas party at work this week.
I'm a shame to my country. :p

ThisGuy

"Nearly all of Kuwait's inhabitants also abstain - selling or drinking alcohol is illegal in the country. Kuwait is the lightest-drinking country in the world."

I've found my people.

I had one beer on a date this week, so I got the 29th-least alcohol interested country in the world, The Soloman Islands.

Before that, I don't know when I last drank. I don't drink much at all.

terrible

Banned
You drink like you're from the Solomon Islands, which is the 29th lightest-drinking country in the world.

This is what I got from having one pint of beer this week. It didn't ask me the ABV though. It was 9.5% and I'm sure that'd change the results.

I feel like this needs to be expanded beyond 1 week. A lot of people get paid monthly/biweekly or only drink around specific events or whatever.

I mean, in the last week I had 1 beer and 8 spirits. That's Philippines, 73rd lightest.

But in the last month I've had about 40 beer and 12 spirits. Averaged to 8/3 per week, that's Namibia, 33rd heaviest.

And 11% less than other Canadian men, apparently.

pa22word

I feel like this needs to be expanded beyond 1 week. A lot of people get paid monthly/biweekly or only drink around specific events or whatever.

I mean, in the last week I had 1 beer and 8 spirits. That's Philippines, 73rd lightest.

But in the last month I've had about 40 beer and 12 spirits. Averaged to 8/3 per week, that's Namibia, 33rd heaviest.

Yeah.

I mostly have moved on from the crazy weeklong binge drinking days of my youth and now go months without touching the stuff only to get pretty toasted every now and again.

I might pull a Belarusian week like 3/4 times a year, max, whereas normally i'm probably at mideast levels with nothing more than a beer here or there when at a restaurant.

You drink like you're from Vietnam, which is the joint 86th lightest-drinking country in the world.

Huh, and I have actually been drinking more then normal the last week.

Wine is the most popular drink here in Sweden? I call shenanigans, bloody women ruining our beer rep. ;)

Laieon

I'm in Korea literally drinking soju out of the bottle as I type this, so...

It's citrus soju though, which is amazing.

I don't know how much cans are in a pint or how much "single measures of spirits" would be in a bottle of soju, so this is a bit difficult for me to take.

Rosur

So where Cider in that list.
edit: nevermind they've just included it in beer.

Depends how often I go out if twice + a week I would be:
You drink like you're from Romania, which is the fifth heaviest-drinking country in the world.

if only once it would be:
You drink like you're from Brazil, which is the joint 53rd heaviest-drinking country in the world.

If i don't go out it would be like Kuwait as I don't drink on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom