• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boeing 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashed shortly after take-off in Indonesia

McCheese

I got caught in very bad turbulence on a flight back in Feb where folks were screaming, and even the usually calm flight attendants sat down and strapped in which only added to the panic.

Wouldn't wish a crash on even my enemies, what a terrifying and powerless way to go out, hope they find some survivors.

We need someone like Musk to come up with a crazy hairball idea to make these things safer, ejector seats for everyone? Better designs and more redundant systems and AI control or something

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I got caught in very bad turbulence on a flight back in Feb where folks were screaming, and even the usually calm flight attendants sat down and strapped in which only added to the panic.

Wouldn't wish a crash on even my enemies, what a terrifying and powerless way to go out, hope they find some survivors.

We need someone like Musk to come up with a crazy hairball idea to make these things safer, ejector seats for everyone? Better designs and more redundant systems and AI control or something
That's what is in post A380 Airbuses, however it could not be used based on regulation. There was some test in incredible shitty weather where A380 was able to land with Pilots not being able to. But hey regulation.

notseqi

I tend to laugh in turbulence because I find it fun, powerlessness factors in, and the knowledge that a broken-off wing has never been the cause of an aircrash (afaik). It has never been stewardess-strapping-in bad though.

Patrick S.

Banned
I tend to laugh in turbulence because I find it fun, powerlessness factors in, and the knowledge that a broken-off wing has never been the cause of an aircrash (afaik). It has never been stewardess-strapping-in bad though.

Jal123damage.jpg

Japan-Airlines 123. The tail section was repaired improperly after a tailstrike several years before and separated during flight.

M1chl

Jal123damage.jpg

Japan-Airlines 123. The tail section was repaired improperly after a tailstrike several years before and separated during flight.

JAL 123 was due to bad maintenance, when plane half a year before had a tail strike and plane was damaged, presurrized "lid" at the back of the plane were torn off which subsequently destroyed hozontal stabilized and cut the lines to vertical surfaces, so plane was basically uncontrolable

Stouffers

Banned
I’d say most of my turbulence experiences required the flight staff to suspend all services and strap in. The trick is to get good and drunk as early as possible in the flight.

Before the Corona, I used to fly a couple of times a month and have had some interesting flights. The worst was a couple of years ago. I was on my way home from Ottawa to Atlanta. We had started our descent into ATL and the flight attendant had just given the instructions to raise seat backs/tray tables in English, but just as she was starting it in French, the plane took a huge jolt.. well beyond a normal bump. A lot of people began looking around and the announcements stopped. There was a small pause and then suddenly the wildest air turbulence I've experienced started up. We were tossed everywhere for a solid minute.. Massive drops.. Violent side-to-side.. The nose of the plane appeared to be all over the place. The entire cabin was screaming with the yelling getting louder with each big drop. A mother and her son were behind me. She kept repeating "we're going to be ok." Another very loud woman near the back yelled "OH SWEET JESUS!" a number of times. I have never heard a cabin erupt like this.

I gripped the seat in front of me with my right hand and wrapped my left arm around the armrest. I began to feel a bit sick staring down the plane, so I closed my eyes.

It eventually stopped, and a very shaken flight attendant gave the rest of the announcements in French. It smelled like half the plane shit itself and there was nothing but silence from the flight crew until we landed. No explanation. No "sorry folks."

As we deplaned, the pilot and crew acted like nothing had happened. While I was waiting for my bags, I overheard a woman say she saw a vertical black cloud out the window just as it hit. Not sure what to make of that.

HoodWinked

So the plane was 26 years old and they seem to retire them around 21 years. Since this is a budget liner it was probably pushing the plane pretty hard so lots of de-pressurization cycles.

Also apparently Indonesian airliners have a history of poor maintenance. These boeing planes though are built and designed to fly despite poor servicing.

Starfield

That’s bad taste man
I seriously wonder what would happen lol

I mean I can guess theyre 100% dead bc of velocity but still. I doubt INSIDE the plane you have more survival chances

Lets say they dive into the ocean for example

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The next time on a plane that happen to crash, I'll report live on gaf
No please don’t. I would never wish that upon anyone.

Yeah I admit my response was a bit shitty and in bad taste. That’s why I deleted it, I don’t know the people in that flight and it’s a tragic way to go.

you were speculating and I took it the wrong way my bad.

I fly enough to realise if the plane is gonna go head first you are gonna get smashed and the scary thing is there no where to go.

again RIP to all the souls on board.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

A quick google says there over 30 million flights in recent years (38.9 in 2019) and in general just over 100 'incidents' (I assume not all crashes?).

I'd like to believe that the odds are all in our favours.

Rest in peace to the victims. ;(

M1chl

BLACKBOXES FOUND

3D Flight plan
ErTUIOiXIAE74vX

Debris from plane view
pantauan-dari-udara-proses-pencarian-sriwijaya-air-sj182-arun-detikcom-3_169.jpeg

Wheel Assembly
denjaka-temukan-benda-mirip-roda-nomor-tempat-duduk-sriwijaya-air-sj182_169.jpeg

Seat 21 DEF
denjaka-temukan-benda-mirip-roda-nomor-tempat-duduk-sriwijaya-air-sj182-1_169.jpeg

Last edited:

notseqi

You slightly dip your closest extremity into the water which at that speed is less forgiving than a concrete wall, sending your whole body into a spin, making you shed your arms, legs and maybe even head. Should your midsection for some reason not be directly impacted your organs will take a look at moving outwards, trying to get through the ribs or your lower abdomen. That's all in case you are slim with low bodyfat. If you're a tubbo it's going to get fucking wobbly.

Starfield

You slightly dip your closest extremity into the water which at that speed is less forgiving than a concrete wall, sending your whole body into a spin, making you shed your arms, legs and maybe even head. Should your midsection for some reason not be directly impacted your organs will take a look at moving outwards, trying to get through the ribs or your lower abdomen. That's all in case you are slim with low bodyfat. If you're a tubbo it's going to get fucking wobbly.
well still better than dying inside a big tincan with lots of screaming people and praying to their gods. If I already know I have to die I wanna die in fucking piece man

borborygmus

I mean I can guess theyre 100% dead bc of velocity but still. I doubt INSIDE the plane you have more survival chances

Lets say they dive into the ocean for example

You can't jump if you're not in equilibrium with the floor, i.e. raising yourself up against the floor. You'll be against the ceiling if the seatbelt isn't restraining you. However it is possible albeit very unlikely to survive if you somehow fall out onto a building or into water from a low enough altitude.

I know flying is statistically safe, but the level of horror experienced by the passengers in the few accidents is high enough to warrant researching some way to get the number of casualties down to 0.

notseqi

well still better than dying inside a big tincan with lots of screaming people and praying to their gods. If I already know I have to die I wanna die in fucking piece man
'Well, I always wanted to go skydiving, so here goes everything.'
edit: come to think of it, you probably have a better chance to survive if you jump early enough to reach a human bodies' terminal velocity, something like 110mph/180kmh.
I'm no skydiver but something above 2km would be best. D.B. Cooper-style.

I know flying is statistically safe, but the level of horror experienced by the passengers in the few accidents is high enough to warrant researching some way to get the number of casualties down to 0.
Those 9/11 calls from the planes are seven kinds of not awesome, still interesting to listen to. Not an accident ofc but the horror of impending death is fucked.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Mythbuster tried tested the "jump up right before impact while falling down in an elevator" and it wasn't doable.

Also, in a plane crash, you wouldn't jump up in a vaccuum, but surrounded by several tons of airplane that are crushing you at 400 knots per hour, or 675 feet per second.

notseqi

I’d say most of my turbulence experiences required the flight staff to suspend all services and strap in. The trick is to get good and drunk as early as possible in the flight.

Before the Corona, I used to fly a couple of times a month and have had some interesting flights. The worst was a couple of years ago. I was on my way home from Ottawa to Atlanta. We had started our descent into ATL and the flight attendant had just given the instructions to raise seat backs/tray tables in English, but just as she was starting it in French, the plane took a huge jolt.. well beyond a normal bump. A lot of people began looking around and the announcements stopped. There was a small pause and then suddenly the wildest air turbulence I've experienced started up. We were tossed everywhere for a solid minute.. Massive drops.. Violent side-to-side.. The nose of the plane appeared to be all over the place. The entire cabin was screaming with the yelling getting louder with each big drop. A mother and her son were behind me. She kept repeating "we're going to be ok." Another very loud woman near the back yelled "OH SWEET JESUS!" a number of times. I have never heard a cabin erupt like this.

I gripped the seat in front of me with my right hand and wrapped my left arm around the armrest. I began to feel a bit sick staring down the plane, so I closed my eyes.

It eventually stopped, and a very shaken flight attendant gave the rest of the announcements in French. It smelled like half the plane shit itself and there was nothing but silence from the flight crew until we landed. No explanation. No "sorry folks."

As we deplaned, the pilot and crew acted like nothing had happened. While I was waiting for my bags, I overheard a woman say she saw a vertical black cloud out the window just as it hit. Not sure what to make of that.
Had slight dips only, planes dropping a few feet, nothing major, one iffy landing in crosswinds.
Scary was the type of plane I had to get to a small airport in Denmark, the whole flight is about 35mins but in a fucking bus they strapped some wings and two propellers to. Loud as fuck, making the boat-like journey rather unpleasant. BA gives you a muffin and a coffee to occupy yourself but I'd like straight jab to the temple to knock me out for a bit and taper off with being sufficiently drowsy to miss most of the sham performance they're putting on.

Azurro

Banned
My brother and one of my best friends traveled to Colombia I think it was, and they went with a cheaper flight option, a company named Lion Air. The day that Lion Air flight 610 took off my bro and friend decided to not return home that day but go the next day instead. If they had not chose to fly back to the U.S. the next day, they would both be dead

I have never trusted aviation, even the best of airlines I din’t give a fuck what the safety statistics are. It could happen to anyone. And sone needs to create a protocol that will save lives in the worst case scenarios during flight. There has to be a way to avoid everyone dying, in the event of an imminent plane crash. Or at least something that will provide a higher chance to survive

Do you ever get scares to get in any car? I don't mean to minimize at all these aviation tragedies, but the chances of you having a car accident are exponentially higher than a plane crashing. People just delude themselves into thinking it's safe because they have the wheel and that provides an illusion of control.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Do you ever get scares to get in any car? I don't mean to minimize at all these aviation tragedies, but the chances of you having a car accident are exponentially higher than a plane crashing. People just delude themselves into thinking it's safe because they have the wheel and that provides an illusion of control.

Il take that car trip over plane crash

Have you ever visit any disturbing/gore website ?

Plane crash are some the worst man ( compared to ship sinks, car/buss acident)

Most of the victim look like poridge or some melting meatball

Nosedived 10,000 feet in less than a minute?

You probably dont want to hear the horror inside the blackbox

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Il take that car trip over plane crash

Have you ever visit any disturbing/gore website ?

Plane crash are some the worst man ( compared to ship sinks, car/buss acident)

Most of the victim look like poridge or some melting meatball

Nosedived 10,000 feet in less than a minute?

You probably dont want to hear the horror inside the blackbox

As I said, the car gives you an illusion of control. You are exponentially more likely to die when taking a car ride than when taking a flight.

Not that fatal car accidents are any prettier, people get squashed in a car, decapitated, burned to death, thrown from the car and end up like human Crayola on the pavement.

Think about it, in a plane you have a team of trained people whose only job is to make sure there are no crashes, teams of engineers and mechanics doing the upkeep of every plane and a trained pilot that had to take thousands of hours training before being allowed to do so.

Sure there are dodgy planes and airlines, but even those that are less likely to pass regulations have much more maintenance than half of the cars on the road. You just feel safe because you think you have control.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
As I said, the car gives you an illusion of control. You are exponentially more likely to die when taking a car ride than when taking a flight.

Not that fatal car accidents are any prettier, people get squashed in a car, decapitated, burned to death, thrown from the car and end up like human Crayola on the pavement.

Think about it, in a plane you have a team of trained people whose only job is to make sure there are no crashes, teams of engineers and mechanics doing the upkeep of every plane and a trained pilot that had to take thousands of hours training before being allowed to do so.

Sure there are dodgy planes and airlines, but even those that are less likely to pass regulations have much more maintenance than half of the cars on the road. You just feel safe because you think you have control.
I think I'd rather die from swerving off the road into a tree and getting it over with in a few seconds than having to go through the horror of falling from the sky in an airplane with 500 other screaming passengers.

RIP why does it always seem like its Indonesia
I don't want to be that guy, and someone said about smaller companies, and some being banned from landing in certain areas, but there are different levels of rigor in every process surrounding the plane.
Am I the only one as a child who always thought about landing on a mattress from the twin towers?

Last edited:

notseqi

It would make me a lot more relaxed to know that I suffered because I fucked up. Being a helpless passenger sucks huge donkey dick.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Looks like they attempted to turn around which is bad if you lost power somehow. Supposedly you’re stuck as a hang glider if that happens and trying to turn is what will crash the plane more than anything.

borborygmus

It would make me a lot more relaxed to know that I suffered because I fucked up. Being a helpless passenger sucks huge donkey dick.
On average driving is more dangerous, but it's a logical fallacy to assume that all drivers have the same chances of dying. Control does help, as do many other factors including speed and which roads you choose to drive on.

You might also do what lawyers do and assign a monetary value to everything, in which case if we account for the sheer terror of being in a plane crash, I would (subjectively) expect flying to fare worse than driving.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

But there are multiple ways you could die on the road that you are not in control of and the chance of you dying are far higher than on an airplane. You are not in control, it's just an illusion. Fear of flying is an irrational fear if you get in a car every day, there's no logical foundation to it.

Last edited:

Banned
Hate to say it, you know you’re taking an increased risk flying that cheap ass airline for $5 bucks halfway around the world.

Stouffers

Banned
I don't want to be that guy, and someone said about smaller companies, and some being banned from landing in certain areas, but there are different levels of rigor in every process surrounding the plane.

Am I the only one as a child who always thought about landing on a mattress from the twin towers?
No, I was a grown man when the towers fell.

The amount of stupidity I read here:

"Why didnt they just jump out." Do you even know how planes work, what cabin pressure is? This isnt your skydiving tin can, you cant open the door mid flight due to pressure and wind going in your direction. Also, you know what happens when there is a blowout in the fuselage. Its not like in the movies just gushing of wind and everyone is concious. Your body internals turn insdie out, you shit yourself, you vomit, you get massive nose bleed, if you have no access to oxygen you will be brain dead in 3 minutes. So please explain to me, how will you in that situation make a Rambo move such as, let me just get myself to the door when your body is falling apart every second. Not to mention most people would pass out in less than a minute.

"Why doesnt Musk make a eject button seat". REALLY? 300 seats to be able to eject? That means the whole top fuselage needs to be removable which will make the strength of the cabin even worse. Thats suicide, nothing to do with regulations, its just plain stupidity. Eject to where? Do you realize thjat fighter jet pilots have special training just for the eject situation, because of the massive g-forces it takes to pull you out. You think a mother with a child knows how to tens her body up so it can be able to take it without passing out...and how does she explain that to a 2 year old that might as well jsut fly off from the seat. And after that what do they do, do they know how to steer or do they just float like lemmings all over the place...300 people, one hits a building, other crashes on top of a tree, the other goes right back into the fire of the crashed plane etc. You watch way too many movies.

Boeing and Airbus exist for over 100 years, they know their shit. Like anything, it can fail and we learn on mistakes and try to improve for the next one. Didnt self driving Tesla AI crash and kill already some people? How long did it take for SpaceX to make a successful landing for the very first time? As far as regulations go, they are 99.9 pro safety for the people on board as well as on ground. Imagine people ejected from a plane, so what happens to the top of the plane, that huge chunk of metal just falls in the middle of the city killing even more people? You know planes dont just crash on the water or some bare land. San Francisco airport for example is in center downtown. The Concorde was the future, instead we went backwards and still fly almost same speed as we did 25 years ago. Only difference is now you can fit in more people. But due to regulations, the noise The Concorde was making was intense, it was blowing peoples windows out, animals were getting scared or dying, people were complaining. All it took was one crash and it got canned for good.

Airline industry is the safest out of all transportations. You dont realize how many airplanes taske off in a day from a single airport. London Heathrow or Dubai Airport...thousands a day and not a single crash. As far as I know you can also be just a regular innocent passenger in a car and a drunk car driver ploughs into you and kills you and your family. And when shit goes down, it doesnt take the plane 10 minutes to crash, its like 1 or 2 minutes. You dont have time to react, you wont feel helpless like its a Die Hard movie where you have time to calculate all your options. You are in shock, the plane most of the time is rushing to the ground, some people already lost consciousness way before that, you just hold on and accept. Same as you being in the car and see a guy driving at you on a single lane and you have nowhere to turn.

Just look how many planes, you literally cant see Europe because of how heavy air traffic is. And this is every single day 24/7. AND its during Covid where half the airlines dont even run at full capacity. So yes, sometimes unfortunately there is a plane crash but its like 1 in a year and we arent even talking about big airlines but something smaller/older/cargo etc. Airline statistic are fucking golden compared to car, motorcycle, bus transportations where there are daily hundreds.
q5TALi8.jpg

Last edited:

dave_d

Control does help, as do many other factors including speed and which roads you choose to drive on.
One interesting factoid is highways are safer and you're less likely to die on one than if you travel on backroads. Oddly enough lots of people actually think they're more dangerous.

HoodWinked

the problem with this is you're falling with the chair so both are going to feel weightless. when you jump off the chair (more accurately push off the chair) you'll barely have enough contact/force to push off of it. however the force that you do push the chair downward though will be the force that you subtract from your own fall speed.

nush

the problem with this is you're falling with the chair so both are going to feel weightless. when you jump off the chair (more accurately push off the chair) you'll barely have enough contact/force to push off of it. however the force that you do push the chair downward though will be the force that you subtract from your own fall speed.

The memes called Troll Science for that reason.

d47mpj9-cc20094d-bc35-482d-9019-5978a3b8ba7e.jpg

HoodWinked

ya I only respond sincerely because as goofy as it is, it actually is a legitimately interesting thought experiment.

HoodWinked

A quick google says there over 30 million flights in recent years (38.9 in 2019) and in general just over 100 'incidents' (I assume not all crashes?).

I'd like to believe that the odds are all in our favours.

Rest in peace to the victims. ;(

ya 737-500 has extremely low rates of incidents.

XzTXET1.png

sendit

If it's Boeing I ain't going. But I don't think that's true, these planes flying everywhere without an issue, so this might by some maintenace problem or pilot error (unlikely)...
Basically this. Cutting corners is not something any airline should be doing.

Dural

One interesting factoid is highways are safer and you're less likely to die on one than if you travel on backroads. Oddly enough lots of people actually think they're more dangerous.

Yep, my wife won't drive on a highway and has a bunch of anxiety just being a passenger when on the highway. I tell her all the time it's safer on the highway but it doesn't matter. She was in an accident the first time she drove on the highway and has been scarred from it.

M1chl

Yep, my wife won't drive on a highway and has a bunch of anxiety just being a passenger when on the highway. I tell her all the time it's safer on the highway but it doesn't matter. She was in an accident the first time she drove on the highway and has been scarred from it.
I can attest to this, driving on Highway somewhat makes me really uncomfortable, I also been in car crash which happened there. It was mild bump and go to the side and on the grass, but still, it's just there. Driving or riding as a passenger really does not matter. Takes a lot of mental gymnastics inside me to avoid these kind of roads, I just normally push through...

Top Bottom