• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boeing 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashed shortly after take-off in Indonesia

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So very sad news today, 25 years old Boeing 737-500 crashed in Indonesia. Based on data provided chances of survival are minimal, it must have been harrowing last few minutes.

The flight was carrying 59 passengers, including five children and a baby, reported Indonesian newspaper Republika.
It was heading to Pontianak, the provincial capital of West Kalimantan.
The plane lost more than 10,000 feet of altitude in less than a minute, reported flight tracker website FlightRadar24.

8708b1797f7ea11ad53d996a938ad824.jpg
If you find this map familiar, it's because more or less is where Lion Air Boeing 737-MAX8 crashed, however those two are not linked and plane was not B737 Max.

With such a fall it could have been stall or something like that. News are still developing. Fuck 2021 right at the begging.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Damn, please let them find survivors.

Hope they recover the black box quickly.
Chances are really slim, the velocity of the crash was very high and it hit the sea, hopefully black box is going to be found soon.

Patrick S.

Banned
Meh, it's quick at least.
I've watched plenty of plane crash documentaries on Youtube, sometimes planes are in trouble for a long time before they finally crash. All that time, you know that there is no escape and you are going to die. Look at Japan-Air-Lines 123, their nightmare took half an hour.

nush

I've watched plenty of plane crash documentaries on Youtube, sometimes planes are in trouble for a long time before they finally crash. All that time, you know that there is no escape and you are going to die. Look at Japan-Air-Lines 123, their nightmare took half an hour.
somebody-wake-up-z8h4hq.jpg

Rough landings and turbulence, I'm like Hicks.

Porcile

When a plane crashes at several hundred knots per hour, you are pulverized. There's no surviving that.

Fair enough but I do remember watching a documentary years ago where they simulated a plane crash in a desert and the test showed that a lot people would survive the initial impact but the injuries sustained from it would kill from being unable to move and then suffocating or burning etc

Patrick S.

Banned
Fair enough but I do remember watching a documentary years ago where they simulated a plane crash in a desert and the test showed that a lot people would survive the initial impact but the injuries sustained from it would kill from being unable to move and then suffocating or burning etc
Sure, it's a matter of speed and angle of impact. In a nose-down crash at a high rate of speed... you become part of the plane, basically :(

I always pick my flight seats roughly based on the survivors of that crash. I believe someone did manage to land that plane in a simulated environment saying it was possible, but hindsight and knowing the problem is great.

I did some retard calculations, but we kind of need to know the exact amount of time for descending. Hoping some math wizard can help us.

10,000 feet, @ 60 seconds = 166 feet per second = 113 mph, so probably something less than 60 seconds, to the point where the tracker of the plane hits terminal velocity in an unrefined way aka plane not intact? If the plane lost systems it would be more likely to glide (I'm sure they're designed this way), and if it was deliberate the plane would dive a lot faster with the engines pushing it beyond the maximum speed tolerance?

But if it suddenly exploded or lost sections you would expect they would know from the distribution of debris across the sea. If it was anything else they would've have some contact with the plane and could tell us already?

I like to solve easy problems.

nush

I always pick my flight seats roughly based on the survivors of that crash. I believe someone did manage to land that plane in a simulated environment saying it was possible, but hindsight and knowing the problem is great.

I did some retard calculations, but we kind of need to know the exact amount of time for descending. Hoping some math wizard can help us.

10,000 feet, @ 60 seconds = 166 feet per second = 113 mph, so probably something less than 60 seconds, to the point where the tracker of the plane hits terminal velocity in an unrefined way aka plane not intact? If the plane lost systems it would be more likely to glide (I'm sure they're designed this way), and if it was deliberate the plane would dive a lot faster with the engines pushing it beyond the maximum speed tolerance?

But if it suddenly exploded or lost sections you would expect they would know from the distribution of debris across the sea. If it was anything else they would've have some contact with the plane and could tell us already?

I like to solve easy problems.

Pretty much, if a plane lost all power to engines is still has some flight control. Nose down stall, it's pretty much over.

Onikaan

I
I live in SW Scotland a few miles away from where Pam Am 103 came down over Lockerbie and I recall a farmer telling a story about finding a young woman in a field, still strapped into the seat who was alive (or at least still had a pulse), but passed before emergency services could get to her.

Harrowing shit.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I live in SW Scotland a few miles away from where Pam Am 103 came down over Lockerbie and I recall a farmer telling a story about finding a young woman in a field, still strapped into the seat who was alive (or at least still had a pulse), but passed before emergency services could get to her.

Harrowing shit.
There was a girl who survived something like this. Her parents died in the plane, but she fell into the jungle, strapped to her seat, and she survived until she was found after some days or weeks, don't remember exactly.

shit... RIP to all the victims. hopefully they can find out the cause and recover some of the bodies so those family can get some closure.

2021 is really trying to live up to it's older brother so far huh? :messenger_weary:

Cycom

Banned
I can’t imagine the terror people inside must have felt those last moments. The kids especially. 😩

Last edited:

I remember reading about how they said all the people on that plane that was shot down in Ukraine would have been knocked unconscious straight away as soon as they got hit.

And then another story that they found one guy with the oxygen mask on and implied he was conscious until impact.

And then that Austrian plane where the pilot slowly decended into the side of that mountain and apparently you can hear all the people screaming on the black box.

Fuck dying in a plane crash

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
why the hell are people mentioning the age of the aeroplane? seen it here and on reddit now.

surely the age of the plane doesn't matter? what about the poor people who were on board? incredibly disrespectful!

why the hell are people mentioning the age of the aeroplane? seen it here and on reddit now.
Well one thought; Older plane = more likelihood of damage = more repair jobs = more room for eventual mechanical failure.

For JAL 123 which lost its tailfin(?), there was a gap of 7 years from the repair it underwent until that repair failure caused it to crash.

notseqi

Well one thought; Older plane = more likelihood of damage = more repair jobs = more room for eventual mechanical failure.

For JAL 123 which lost its tailfin(?), there was a gap of 7 years from the repair it underwent until that repair failure caused it to crash.
To add: There's a ton of refurbished parts around, the crucial ones are x-rayed for cracks and fissures and put back into service. 25 years wouldn't be a problem if they kept to the rules, did spotless maintenance etc.
Even then there is a slight chance something breaks.

Problem with a lot of smaller airlines is that they do only the minimum to keep the planes running but leave out preventive maintenance that can lead to compounding failures.
The reason why ton of airlines are banned from landing in a lot of countries.

edit: I a letter.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm always uneasy when I'm on a plane. Dying in a plane crash is the kind death I'm most afraid and horrified of.
My brother and one of my best friends traveled to Colombia I think it was, and they went with a cheaper flight option, a company named Lion Air. The day that Lion Air flight 610 took off my bro and friend decided to not return home that day but go the next day instead. If they had not chose to fly back to the U.S. the next day, they would both be dead

I have never trusted aviation, even the best of airlines I din’t give a fuck what the safety statistics are. It could happen to anyone. And sone needs to create a protocol that will save lives in the worst case scenarios during flight. There has to be a way to avoid everyone dying, in the event of an imminent plane crash. Or at least something that will provide a higher chance to survive

notseqi

My brother and one of my best friends traveled to Colombia I think it was, and they went with a cheaper flight option, a company named Lion Air. The day that Lion Air flight 610 took off my bro and friend decided to not return home that day but go the next day instead. If they had not chose to fly back to the U.S. the next day, they would both be dead

I have never trusted aviation, even the best of airlines I din’t give a fuck what the safety statistics are. It could happen to anyone. And sone needs to create a protocol that will save lives in the worst case scenarios during flight. There has to be a way to avoid everyone dying, in the event of an imminent plane crash. Or at least something that will provide a higher chance to survive
Just make the whole plane out of the black box material.

Patrick S.

Banned

Holy crap.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Just make the whole plane out of the black box material.
I don’t know enough about planes to contribute much unfortunately, is that a realistic option that might save lives? I know that planes cannot have much weight on them

I always wondered why there hasn’t been lighter parachutes created and allowed for every passenger specifically for the event of a plane crash? I think people would need oxygen tanks or something as well since they are so high up, not sure how all the science in this situation goes but I am very surprised that there isn’t an organization that funds trying to find these answers. I’ve never once heard of one, at least

Prison Mike

Banned

surely the age of the plane doesn't matter? what about the poor people who were on board? incredibly disrespectful!
Maybe because things deteriorate through the years, maybe because new planes have updated safety measures, not everything is cause for a argument obviously rip to the poor passengers that goes without saying.

Patrick S.

Banned
Planes need to be made out of flexible material that can take the expansion and compression of the hull when the aircraft is pressurized. That doesn't work with a steel body. Also, steel rusts. And the planes would be really really heavy and unable to fly anyway.

Patrick S.

Banned

Material fatigue is a thing. Airframes are even built to handle a fixed amount of cycles (takeoff, flight, pressurizing, depressurizing, landing). After this amount of cycles, the aircraft is discarded.

notseqi

Yeah, make it out of steel so it'll crush you even harder when you crash...
is that a realistic option that might save lives?
It's a go-to joke for shit comedians, and no, it's not realistic. The weight would kill any semblance of fuel efficiency.

I always wondered why there hasn’t been lighter parachutes created and allowed for every passenger specifically for the event of a plane crash? I think people would need oxygen tanks or something as well since they are so high up, not sure how all the science in this situation goes but I am very surprised that there isn’t an organization that funds trying to find these answers. I’ve never once heard of one, at least
On-the-fly, I'd say make compartments inside of the hull that can be shed from the hull, maybe slide out of the back side, then parachutes. The compartment would have to be blocked from incoming wind, some kind of hyperdurable tarp could be shot down from the front of the compartment to block some of it.
Drop the compartment, have it fall for a bit to lose speed, then the parachutes. Cold, wind and debris could be a factor but not every-fucking-last-one would die.

edit: the real 'why' is, as always of course, cost =D

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
It's a go-to joke for shit comedians, and no, it's not realistic. The weight would kill any semblance of fuel efficiency.

On-the-fly, I'd say make compartments inside of the hull that can be shed from the hull, maybe slide out of the back side, then parachutes. The compartment would have to be blocked from incoming wind, some kind of hyperdurable tarp could be shot down from the front of the compartment to block some of it.
Drop the compartment, have it fall for a bit to lose speed, then the parachutes. Cold, wind and debris could be a factor but not every-fucking-last-one would die.

edit: the real 'why' is, as always of course, cost =D
Just fly on C-130s and strap on parachutes.

Top Bottom