• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boeing 737-500 (SJ182 CGK-PNK) crashed shortly after take-off in Indonesia

dave_d

Yep, my wife won't drive on a highway and has a bunch of anxiety just being a passenger when on the highway. I tell her all the time it's safer on the highway but it doesn't matter. She was in an accident the first time she drove on the highway and has been scarred from it.
I can understand that. Admittedly the thing that gets me with the highway is a decent number of people don't know how to get on or off. (No, speed up on the on ramp, don't stay at 30 mph and for dear god don't stop.) On the plus side you almost never get into a t-bone crash on the highway which is one of the most dangerous crash types.

Stouffers

Banned
Yep, my wife won't drive on a highway and has a bunch of anxiety just being a passenger when on the highway. I tell her all the time it's safer on the highway but it doesn't matter. She was in an accident the first time she drove on the highway and has been scarred from it.
I was a passenger in a vehicle that ran into the back of a semi at 80mph.. the driver had passed out while on the highway. I was fine driving for 4 years after, but now I’m on medication for anxiety attacks that happen primarily when i’m on the Hwy. the mind is a weird thing.

Dural

I was a passenger in a vehicle that ran into the back of a semi at 80mph.. the driver had passed out while on the highway. I was fine driving for 4 years after, but now I’m on medication for anxiety attacks that happen primarily when i’m on the Hwy. the mind is a weird thing.

For sure it is, sometimes she'll be fine riding and other times she's holding on for dear life thinking every other car is going to come into us. Not driving on the highway actually seems to be more common than you'd think, I've met a bunch of people that are the same way and it's usually due to an accident.

I can understand that. Admittedly the thing that gets me with the highway is a decent number of people don't know how to get on or off. (No, speed up on the on ramp, don't stay at 30 mph and for dear god don't stop.) On the plus side you almost never get into a t-bone crash on the highway which is one of the most dangerous crash types.

Yeah people that don't know how to merge are the worst. Just this weekend the left lane was coming to an end and I was in the middle lane and the car to the left of me just rode the lane until it ended without trying to get over. They would have ran into me if I wouldn't have done anything.

I can attest to this, driving on Highway somewhat makes me really uncomfortable, I also been in car crash which happened there. It was mild bump and go to the side and on the grass, but still, it's just there. Driving or riding as a passenger really does not matter. Takes a lot of mental gymnastics inside me to avoid these kind of roads, I just normally push through...

A couple years ago my wife was driving when we were on a road trip, we were driving down central california where the "highway" was really just a normal two lane road and she's fine with that. The two lane road suddenly turned into an actual highway and she pulled over at the on ramp so I could drive. We just got a car that has all the safety features like accident prevention, lane keeping, and auto cruise control so she's thinking she might try out one of the highways that has little traffic near us. It would be great if she could overcome this fear as I love going on road trips.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
For sure it is, sometimes she'll be fine riding and other times she's holding on for dear life thinking every other car is going to come into us. Not driving on the highway actually seems to be more common than you'd think, I've met a bunch of people that are the same way and it's usually due to an accident.

Yeah people that don't know how to merge are the worst. Just this weekend the left lane was coming to an end and I was in the middle lane and the car to the left of me just rode the lane until it ended without trying to get over. They would have ran into me if I wouldn't have done anything.

A couple years ago my wife was driving when we were on a road trip, we were driving down central california where the "highway" was really just a normal two lane road and she's fine with that. The two lane road suddenly turned into an actual highway and she pulled over at the on ramp so I could drive. We just got a car that has all the safety features like accident prevention, lane keeping, and auto cruise control so she's thinking she might try out one of the highways that has little traffic near us. It would be great if she could overcome this fear as I love going on road trips.
It happened to me on Autobahn, which could have been really interesting...so yeah...were cruising home and someone was not be able to turn to the left lane fast. My back hurts when I am thinking about that.

dave_d

Seen that way too many times. Of course my highway story of the weekend was watching some guy in the middle lane realize at the last moment his exit is here. So he swerves to try and make it, misses it and then thinks it's a good idea to start driving on the grass island and the exit and make his way over to his actual exit. Oh, and the next exit was 2 miles down the highway. (And it's not even the dumbest thing I've seen in the last year or so.)

the problem with this is you're falling with the chair so both are going to feel weightless. when you jump off the chair (more accurately push off the chair) you'll barely have enough contact/force to push off of it. however the force that you do push the chair downward though will be the force that you subtract from your own fall speed just reminded me
Your example just reminded me of that ridiculous part in Angels and Demons (book) where Langdon survives jumping from a helicopter. Thank goodness they didn't do that in the movie. My jaw was on the floor at the stupidity of that scene, I almost threw out the book.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I'll share my anecdote.

I've been flying for my whole life, since I was 7 months, so that would be almost 4 decades of flying.

I was never scared as a kid and teenager. I got some bad turbos after the 2000's and I started to get scared.

I was really scared until some years ago when I decided to study a lot of aviation materials and understand what's going on.

I changed my attitude completely when flying and I no longer feel scared. I still hate when it bounces too much, but most of the time I'm comfortable.

I admit I was kinda scared last Saturday because I read about the accident hours before going on a plane home (I was living in the northeast of the country for a month with my father in a really small city, it was a lot of fun, but I digress).

The flight was great, it had some turbulence but I could tell the pilot was a boss because he accelerated and changed height whenever a turbulence came, promptly dealing with it. I love aviation. It scares me and fascinates me to some degree. It was an Airbus a320 neo, a very modern aircraft. I love it.

lock2k

Banned
But there are multiple ways you could die on the road that you are not in control of and the chance of you dying are far higher than on an airplane. You are not in control, it's just an illusion. Fear of flying is an irrational fear if you get in a car every day, there's no logical foundation to it.

A friend of ours (who also passed last year, unfortunately, but not related to this story) lost her son when he was 18. He had just started driving and he was stopped at a red light. A car came from nowhere and hit it. And that was it...he survived for a few days in the hospital, conscious, but did not make it. The guy didn't do anything wrong. The illusion of control fools us. I agree.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have flown maybe 20 times in my life, mostly to other european countries, once to Peru, and a couple times to the Canary Islands, which are further away from her away. I guess I've done less than 50.000 km in total. But I've been driving cars for for twenty five years and have probably amassed more than 500,000 km in driving distance. If I die in a plane crash tomorrow, for me, driving was still more than ten times safer. It's a simplistic point of view, but I've always felt way better in a car than in a plane.

Last edited:
I think it's worth noting that this was the 500 series of the 737 it's first flight was in 1994 26 years ago

lock2k

Banned
I have flown maybe 20 times in my life, mostly to other european countries, once to Peru, and a couple times to the Canary Islands, which are further away from her away. I guess I've done less than 50.000 km in total. But I've been driving cars for for twenty five years and have probably amassed more than 500,000 km in driving distance. If I die in a plane crash tomorrow, for me, driving was still more than ten times safer. It's a simplistic point of view, but I've always felt way better in a car than in a plane.
Another anecdote.

I feared for my life when getting to the airport last Saturday. The taxi driver was insane, the road was awful and he would do overtakings of five cars in a row in a road that only had two sides and was pitch black, it was scary as fuck. When I got in the plane it was like "safety is here". lol

But understand.

M1chl

I think it's worth noting that this was the 500 series of the 737 it's first flight was in 1994 26 years ago

It's noted, I said in OP 25 years, because that's where the commercial flights on this plane started, if my info is correct.

Azurro

Banned

That's not how probability works. Just because you are familiarised with a situation doesn't mean it becomes safer, as the elements outside of your control are still there.

A plane crash is international news. A deadly car crash barely makes it to the local papers. Think about what that means.

dave_d

That's not how probability works. Just because you are familiarised with a situation doesn't mean it becomes safer, as the elements outside of your control are still there.
That sounds similar to what happened with the space shuttle. I can't remember the term exactly but the idea was that since NASA had gotten away with stuff in earlier launches they figured well things must be ok, it'll fine until one of the blew up.(Even when there was concerns about the o-rings, losing tiles, and the insulation popping off.)

M1chl

On Jan 19th 2021 the KNKT reported that the FDR contained 330 parameters of a total of 18 flights. The KNKT have already developed a general picture of the accident, however, need further data from the cockpit voice recorder before publishing any information. Inspections of Boeing 737-300, 737-400 and 737-500 in Indonesia have been ordered.

KNKT = NTSC for Indonesia

So it's hinting at rudded issue on B737-Classic, as stated earlier in this thread.

Top Bottom