• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Iger Returns as Disney CEO, Bob Chapek Out

DeaDPo0L84

That still is not woke virtue signaling. It's blink and you miss it. It was not a focal point of a large section of the movie
Parents showing kids Lightyear:
Q6DPN0V.gif

LQX

That still is not woke virtue signaling. It's blink and you miss it. It was not a focal point of a large section of the movie
I literally blinked and missed it, and I was pretty much waiting in anticipation of it too see what all the uproar was about. I swear some on the "ant-woke" folks are some of the loudest fuckers in the room.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
One thing I hope Iger makes Disney Animation Studios stop doing is trying to reuse that Wreck-It Ralph artstyle. It worked well for that movie, it hasn't worked at all for their last three or so movies. I just looked at their new movie that just came out that no one seems to have heard of, and with their weird-shaped heads and bulbous noses they all look like different multiverse variations of John Krasinski.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Here’s how Chapek was killing the parks. $25 for a single ride.

To be fair, that is t $35 just to ride the ride, it's to skip to the front of the line (the old fast pass system).

The parks are far too crowded these days, mostly because the ticket price is too low to keep folks away. Going back to the "e ticket" type system they used to have is a solution, the genie app and process was just not ironed out yet.

Disney really just needs another park to spread the load. Between Disney fanatics, international fans, and all the folks that can easily afford a trip (even at 3-5k a trip, that's still a bargain if you think about it).

ManaByte

The parks are far too crowded these days, mostly because the ticket price is too low to keep folks away.
What are you talking about? In what reality? Chapek raised the ticket prices so high and coupled with the Park Pass reservation system (which Iger is changing in January), the parks aren’t crowded at all; especially compared to pre-COVID. I went to the Magic Kingdom a few weeks ago and the place was almost empty compared to Universal (which doesn’t limit attendance with reservations).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Stock is back to what it was in 2015.

Don't know if its really because of leadership tho. The business is changing Disney made tons of money due to cable packages and movie tickets. Now the streaming business is forcing them to cannibalize two of their most profitable aspects of their business.

ViPoPNh.png
I find it amazing that during covid the stock reached an all time high. Leisure and travel kinds of companies tanked hard. Maybe it was due to Disney+.

Last edited:
It makes no sense for Apple to buy Disney or for Iger to sell Disney because it's NOT up to him... HE answers to the board and THEY decide sale or not.

Also, it was manufactured backlash because idiots who hate gay people felt attacked by not having straight people be the only characters in the movie. I swear people need to chill and step back ... I blame Kotter for coming back!

It makes sense for shareholders of both AAPL and DIS. It's not just up to the board shareholders from both companies would have to vote Yes after board approval so ultimately it's up to shareholders. Also

Iger has said that if Steve Jobs had lived longer they likely would’ve merged companies. It’s something that’s been on his mind since he started running Disney.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...ney-would-have-merged-if-steve-jobs-was-alive

This.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What are you talking about? In what reality? Chapek raised the ticket prices so high and coupled with the Park Pass reservation system (which Iger is changing in January), the parks aren’t crowded at all; especially compared to pre-COVID. I went to the Magic Kingdom a few weeks ago and the place was almost empty compared to Universal (which doesn’t limit attendance with reservations).
One thing they were discussing on Daring Fireball was that part of the Disney Resorts experience if you were going to Disney World was being shuttled (as part of the price, with Disney vehicles with cartoons playing for kids in TV’s) to the park from the hotel and for your luggage to the carried to your room while you had a bit of time to relax and enjoy the experience and heading back to the hotel would have everything there sorted.

This was paused during Covid and never brought back :/.

Wulfer

Iger back in doesn't reverse the damage Chapek did Reedy Creek improvement district is still dissolved. Just because Iger's back in doesn't mean DeSantis will reverse Reedy Creek, that money is gone forever. The money was not a big deal but, the freedom to develop and create was a huge advantage over other entertainment park companies.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As expected Strange World is bombing big time.

After Lightyear and this Iger is probably going to tell the Skittles hairs to leave their woke virtue signaling out of their family cartoons.

When you see the word Dennis Quaid, you know it's a complete failure, just like their marriages.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It makes sense for shareholders of both AAPL and DIS. It's not just up to the board shareholders from both companies would have to vote Yes after board approval so ultimately it's up to shareholders. Also

This.

So Iger and Jobs never spoke about a merger but Iger says "they would have gotten there"

All that is speculation. Not based in fact. The shareholders AND the board would have had to sign off on that (first the board, then them bringing it to the shareholders). I can see it making sense but that is still a hurdle... Disney values it's freedom and not having to answer to anyone... Same with Apple. I don't see it working out because of that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't see Disney having much theatrical success in the next few years other than the marvel train, which is just unstoppable, and avatar. It's all live action remakes if their old cartoons or sequels. The few new IPs like Wish or Elemental, eh, who can say. Not to mention their CG people and basic art style since Moana (though it echos back to Tangled) has all looked very similar, it's making these films seem boring from the get go IMHO. Indy5 ain't gonna blow the doors down, I fear.

So Iger and Jobs never spoke about a merger but Iger says "they would have gotten there"

All that is speculation. Not based in fact. The shareholders AND the board would have had to sign off on that (first the board, then them bringing it to the shareholders). I can see it making sense but that is still a hurdle... Disney values it's freedom and not having to answer to anyone... Same with Apple. I don't see it working out because of that.

I mean, yeah, that's what I said. The board would have to agree and then the shareholders would have to vote yes on it (from both companies).

Disney's ethos is not necessarily not having to answer to anyone. Their ethos is about being storytellers, creative freedom, and family values. Full creative freedom can and has produced some turds before. Their family value is kinda iffy right now. Regardless a 2x premium on the current stock price would pretty much force the board to put it to a shareholder vote which would go in the yes direction. Everybody likes making money. Apple would have full ownership so the board would only have to worry about the financial aspects.

Main hurdle is Apple wanting to do a 250-300B+ acquisition (stock + cash deal most likely) when they haven't made any acquisition close to that price and regulatory approval. I would usually say the latter wouldn't be an issue but ATVI and MSFT purchase encountering roadblocks and Penguin House merger being blocked makes me question what criteria the DOJ is currently using.

ManaByte

posting this part because he pointed the big issue out. Said its important to respect the audience and not have disdain for them. The condescending tone of most of Disney productions has been loud.

Yep. Very diplomatic to not cause a Skittles revolt, but even when those things were happening you could tell Iger was on the sidelines wincing.

I literally blinked and missed it, and I was pretty much waiting in anticipation of it too see what all the uproar was about. I swear some on the "ant-woke" folks are some of the loudest fuckers in the room.
Blink and miss unless you count the countless meetings and man hours spent on that decision and its inclusion.

jason10mm

Gold Member
He is just throwing their own language back at them. "We have heard the audience, we want to be respectful, understanding of your lived experience, be inclusive of all values and opinions, not engage in hate speech directed against any group, be mindful of our place within the community. We will listen, we will be better."

See, the same nonsensical babble can go both ways.

ManaByte

He is just throwing their own language back at them. "We have heard the audience, we want to be respectful, understanding of your lived experience, be inclusive of all values and opinions, not engage in hate speech directed against any group, be mindful of our place within the community. We will listen, we will be better."

See, the same nonsensical babble can go both ways.
Iger never got political. Everyone knows his politics and how he almost ran for President as a Democrat before the Fox merger started and he was required to stay for it, but he's smart enough to know that the second a company the size of Disney takes any sort of political stance it'll immediately alienate 50% of their audience. That's exactly what Chapek did and why he should've been fired the day Florida dissolved Ready Creek.

Bob-Chapek-Disney.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Iger never got political. Everyone knows his politics and how he almost ran for President as a Democrat before the Fox merger started and he was required to stay for it, but he's smart enough to know that the second a company the size of Disney takes any sort of political stance it'll immediately alienate 50% of their audience. That's exactly what Chapek did and why he should've been fired the day Florida dissolved Ready Creek.

Bob-Chapek-Disney.jpg
Agreed. But if he uses their language then they can't really refute it. It's a wise way to walk back the craziness.

JayK47

Disney should respect their audience. But the rot has spread too far and I doubt Disney can be saved. He can give a feel good speech, but the current employees despise half the country and will not suddenly change to make the boss happy. They will fight it. So unless he is willing to fire all of the activists, nothing will change.

ManaByte

Disney should respect their audience. But the rot has spread too far and I doubt Disney can be saved. He can give a feel good speech, but the current employees despise half the country and will not suddenly change to make the boss happy. They will fight it. So unless he is willing to fire all of the activists, nothing will change.

He's already cleaning house. The people Chapek put in control who did that stuff are being culled.

theclaw135

Banned

So much "criticism" of Disney today, is just virtue signaling by racists and sexists. Always with the blaming a movie's failure on LGBT inclusion.

AJUMP23

So much "criticism" of Disney today, is just virtue signaling by racists and sexists. Always with the blaming a movie's failure on LGBT inclusion.
It isn’t. but I don’t want to take my kids to a film and have to have characters sexuality played for points in a film aimed at kids. Disney has an agenda as do many other companies. Some don’t like it. Doesn’t make you a sexist or racist to not want to have cartoons sexuality a focal point.

lachesis

Well, watched the whole Town Hall earlier, and in general, I think he walked very fine balance as usual and was diplomatic. Looked great for 72 year old guy. (But I'm sure he had a lot of makeup as usual.. ;))
He was basically trying to rally the moral - reinstating the company values and some of the priorities and what to expect, and 100 year history of Disney - and challenging times are ahead.
(Cost cutting measures, smarter spending of company assets, and seemed reserved about expansion at this time of looming recession)
Apple question came up, and also buying another company - and basically denied in more humorous way.
The twitter posts above, is 2 of 3 politics related questions - that final one was about Disney became too political - and on that one, he also was pretty diplomatic.

AJUMP23

Well, watched the whole Town Hall earlier, and in general, I think he walked very fine balance as usual and was diplomatic. Looked great for 72 year old guy. (But I'm sure he had a lot of makeup as usual.. ;))
He was basically trying to rally the moral - reinstating the company values and some of the priorities and what to expect, and 100 year history of Disney - and challenging times are ahead.
(Cost cutting measures, smarter spending of company assets, and seemed reserved about expansion at this time of looming recession)
Apple question came up, and also buying another company - and basically denied in more humorous way.
The twitter posts above, is 2 of 3 politics related questions - that final one was about Disney became too political - and on that one, he also was pretty diplomatic.
He knows they messed up in Florida. Disney is going to have higher cost due to losing special status. And I am sure he will work with Desantis to repair the relationship. But Disney isn't getting their status back anytime soon in Florida.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think what’s happened with some of the crackdown in woke stuff lately at various tech companies is the well has run dry. During COVID, tech companies did great and somehow Disney did too (probably because of Disney+???).

But now reality has set in post COVID and with stock prices down, earnings meh, and high interest rates and inflation, it times to cut back as the party is losing steam. Now it’s time to cut. And it starts with the people and product lines that are dragging the rest of the company down. Even something as easy peasy and tech heavy like work from home, a lot of tech companies are getting people back to the office. Some of these tech companies now have stricter rules coming back to the office than my company which isn’t even tech. The pendulum has swung hard the other way.

Last edited:
They were talking about this on Gutfeld tonight.

From what I understand too, Iger with Disney still had a lot of garbage like the Star Wars sequel trilogy and that he isn't really not much better than Chapek at least when it comes to all this "woke" stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was his agenda in the first place.
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Satire site as proof? Or am I reading this post wrong?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Disney is going to have higher cost due to losing special status.

Just a correction on that: the costs of maintaining the Reedy Creek district will actually be the burden of the taxpayers in that county after the change takes effect. Projections are their property taxes will increase 15% - 20%. Disney will just now have to go through bureaucratic red tape they didn't have to prior when they want to do things like build new structures.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Just a correction on that: the costs of maintaining the Reedy Creek district will actually be the burden of the taxpayers in that county after the change takes effect. Projections are their property taxes will increase 15% - 20%. Disney will just now have to go through bureaucratic red tape they didn't have to prior when they want to do things like build new structures.
Taxes cover the roads now. And Disney have to work through the government to make any change. We all know government reduces cost.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is not definitive and was said initially by Randolph, the OC tax collector. He does not write legislation or tax policy. This was said on that end of the matter.

Fine says that's why the service taxing units are municipal, and therefore not something handled by the state. "Scott Randolph's job is to open envelopes and to take out checks," the lawmaker told FOX Business. "He probably should stick to that. He doesn't set tax policy."
After signing the legislation into law, DeSantis' office issued a statement clarifying that "it is not the understanding or expectation for SB 4-C, abolishing independent special districts, to cause any tax increases for the residents of any area of Florida."

The statement continued, "In the near future, we will propose additional legislation to authorize additional special districts in a manner that ensure transparency and an even playing field under the law."

ManaByte

This feels like the inevitable conclusion of backdoor negotiations between Desantis and Disney. Stripping the tax status would be a loooooong legal struggle either way, so a little PR face saving song and dance gets everyone coming out smelling like roses.
Iger said it wasn’t Disney’s place to be involved in state politics like that, which is what angered Desantis in the first place. So Iger saying that is probably enough to reverse it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am sure Iger made this his absolute #1 AAAAAAA priority and in fact was probably working on it behind the scenes for weeks if not months before he got the job. Chapek should have been fired the moment this happened, just an unbelievable own goal.

I still don’t believe that bullshit (cited in the article) about how disastrous it would be for the state of Florida were it to happen. That’s just propaganda Disney is putting out there, and it is in their interest to keep this arrangement.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I still don’t believe that bullshit (cited in the article) about how disastrous it would be for the state of Florida were it to happen. That’s just propaganda Disney is putting out there, and it is in their interest to keep this arrangement.
True that.

Disney does NOT want the state of Florida to be in charge of road maintenance through the Kingdom.

NOBODY wants that!

I'd give it 2 years before riding the bus between parks becomes a "high thrill" ride of it's own due to the potholes :p

Top Bottom