• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: latest Sony plan to make 10 million PS5s by the end of the year.

Sushen

$599 PS5 was always not happening in a universe where PS3 struggled for two years. People who want $599 don't care if it is viable or not. If Sony managed to reach $399, they basically won before next gen started. That is still only 50/50 odds to occur though.
If they can manage to convince $70 games, $599 PS5 is an easier challenge.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
10 million, eh?

Hope they don’t try to make too many at once, otherwise the sheer weight will cause the factory to collapse in on itself and cause a localised black hole.

Rudius

They must be expecting the production cost to go up next year, so they're hoarding supply chains while they can, choosing to stock up early rather than not be able to meet demand. Only logic I can see behind this.
PS4 had supply issues for many months when it released, it could have sold faster than it did, achieving a higher install base quickly. They want to avoid this with PS5, but I think it still won't be enough and many will have to wait.

Atrus

Gold Member
This is less about 10 million sold on launch day and more about 10 million sold by this time next year.

In the event there are pandemic related logistics issues, Sony will already have units on shelves and are hoping to avoid the same outages Nintendo did.

It means that if you want one, you should be able to get one. It does make me wonder what their internal numbers are tracking.

With other industries impacted by the pandemic, more dollars may be focussed on gaming this holiday season, doubly so with Trump bucks in play.

The console could be the IT gift of the holiday season.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Two systems. Not taking chances on which one sells more.

If the system launches in Nov (probably), the systems will probably combine for the usual maybe 3 million by Christmas. Maybe 5 million globally this time? But by having 5-7 million more going into 2021 split across two skus they can coast and not worry about being out of stock for a while.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I wouldn't buy one until they offered it in black anyway, who wants an inverted oreo the size of laserdisc player under their entertainment system, assuming it even fits.
tenor.gif

KAL2006

Banned
Makes me think Sony want to start with a bang. So I'm thinking $400 for Digital and $500 for disk console. Also Spiderman was their biggest selling first party game on PS4 and they are launching with a Spiderman game. So I reckon Sony just preparing for the demand thanks to competitive pricing and games that are system sellers early on. Who knows when Gran Turismo 7 will come out as well as that's another big game. To have Spiderman, Gran Turismo 7 and a PS5 at $400 with Corona keeping everyone indoors I'm thinking they are expecting to shift alot of units between launch and summer 2021.

turtlepowa

Banned
Heck no, especially with ISPs limiting bandwidth because more people are at home using internet. Download speeds are going to be a crawl this holiday, so give me the disk and easier Backwards compatibility (Just pop in the disk)
You also have to download tons of patches with every diskgame nowadays.

Heck no, especially with ISPs limiting bandwidth because more people are at home using internet. Download speeds are going to be a crawl this holiday, so give me the disk and easier Backwards compatibility (Just pop in the disk)

They are not limiting bandwidth on many countries, maybe on some non-developed nations (which US seems to be too?).

I guess it is more common on countries where data caps and slow connections are still a thing? Kind of ironic that places with really expensive data capped connections are those that also limit speeds, or it seems to be so.

Meanwhile I just moved to new apartment, and got 100/100 fiber for 9.9€/month, 1000mbps would have been 40-50€ but no need for those speeds, no data caps of course.

Same with mobile connections, no data caps and 100+ mbps is around 15-25€

So, the question is that should be blame digital game sizes or countries with bad ISPs that limit speeds of slowing down digital world?

I agree on physical games, they are just nicer to have and use. Even if I had 1000/1000 connection, I would buy physicals.

World wont be ready for digital only, before even big countries stop the data cap nonsense

Bryank75

Banned
They are not limiting bandwidth on many countries, maybe on some non-developed nations (which US seems to be too?).

I guess it is more common on countries where data caps and slow connections are still a thing? Kind of ironic that places with really expensive data capped connections are those that also limit speeds, or it seems to be so.

Meanwhile I just moved to new apartment, and got 100/100 fiber for 9.9€/month, 1000mbps would have been 40-50€ but no need for those speeds, no data caps of course.

Same with mobile connections, no data caps and 100+ mbps is around 15-25€

So, the question is that should be blame digital game sizes or countries with bad ISPs that limit speeds of slowing down digital world?

I agree on physical games, they are just nicer to have and use. Even if I had 1000/1000 connection, I would buy physicals.

World wont be ready for digital only, before even big countries stop the data cap nonsense
All of europe was limited basically. Then services were lowering quality...Netflix, Prime and Disney.

It's a disaster, sometimes the signal drops completely. I wouldn't go all digital for a saving of 300 euro.... and streaming is a bullshit fantasy, means nothing for gaming...just a corporate wet-dream.

Entroyp

Its funny how the discord rumour was production yields for ps5 are low and XSX is high and sony wont make many.

Then we had Sony wont make too many because the BOM and Sont worried about price.

And now we find Sony are making double.

Hilarious.

It’s like they need to create their own reality that makes them feel warm and happy all the time. Screw the outside world.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They're confident. That's a good sign.

I'm taking it that, it's probably not gonna be so expensive. I'm thinking $500 tops, maybe even $450.

Its funny how the discord rumour was production yields for ps5 are low and XSX is high and sony wont make many.

Then we had Sony wont make too many because the BOM and Sont worried about price.

And now we find Sony are making double.

Hilarious.

You mean the rumors that Eastman was spreading on that other site?

I never thought they were credible to begin with.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I wish we can get actual journalism from outlets other than Bloomberg. We can’t get a simple information as to when to expect pre-orders. I miss unnamed sources and professional reporting.

Kerotan

TBH Sony could easily sell 10 million by march at $500 so why wouldn't they. They'll drop the price when they need to.

Top Bottom