• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM protesters at Dartmouth College storm library and yell at people

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAuVQlLxD0

^Video of the protest.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/16/black-lives-matter-protesters-berate-white-student/

^WT article sourcing a student publication who's server tapped out.

http://thedartmouth.com/2015/11/17/...eports-of-violence-at-protest-despite-rumors/

http://thetab.com/us/dartmouth/2015...-last-nights-protest-until-it-turned-ugly-978

^Account from student who was there.

For what it's worth as a somewhat recent Dartmouth alum, I can confirm that the Review's account of what transpired has been substantively confirmed by my (generally progressive) friends still at the college. Murmurs about a slight white woman being pushed up against a wall and berated to the point of tears by protestors have the student body up in arms right now in particular.

I won't throw my two cents in the ring on how I feel about the situation given how loaded a conversation about race relations at Dartmouth would inevitably become, but I just wanted to let the thread know that the claims made by the article are at the very least directionally correct.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/press-releases/statement-regarding-student-protest.html

^Dartmouth press release regarding the protest.

What does this accomplish besides pissing off people who are trying to study and probably like minded anyway?

Jenov

Protesters reportedly shouted “F– you, you filthy white f–-” “f– you and your comfort” and “f– you, you racist s–.”

Great way to make allies there.

"One woman was reportedly pinned to a wall by protesters who shouted “filthy white b–-” in her face."

wtfff

Tenebrous

“F– you, you filthy white f–-” “f– you and your comfort” and “f– you, you racist s–.”

Probably more racist than most in that library. A shame to see a good idea being ruined like this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Not all BLM

Seriously, the majority of the movement would not be down for this type of shit.

Protesters reportedly shouted “F– you, you filthy white f–-” “f– you and your comfort” and “f– you, you racist s–.”

Great way to make allies there.

"One woman was reportedly pinned to a wall by protesters who shouted “filthy white b–-” in her face."

wtfff

That's one way to get white people to check their privilege. Its also the wrong way

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

akira28

I saw this on Breitbart yesterday, and the washington times today....I'll wait for a non-Conservative confirmed rag to publish something about something.

marrec

Banned
The video accompanying the article doesn't seem to contain any of the more noteworthy claims made by the original Dartmouth article.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is shitty and feels to me like the equivalent of the guy at the WTO protest who's there to throw a brick through a Starbucks window. If true, it is not excusable and those responsible should be punished. People deserve dignity and safety as they go about their day. It does not surprise me that Dartmouth would be the nexus of this even given their uneasy history with racial issues.

That being said, the Washington Times is a very low-credibility Moon-y rag. They claim to be citing "The Dartmouth Review", an "independent" newspaper on the campus, but their link to the story goes to CampusReform.org. CampusReform is an anti-liberal news outlet designed to train conservative activists for careers at Breitbart. Here is the mission of CampusReform.org. Here is the mission of The Leadership Institute, CampusReform's owners. The story may well be true, but to me in light of Breitbart, James O'Keefe, the Planned Parenthood tapes, etc. I am truly suspicious of an explicitly agenda-based organization designed to discredit BLM and black protestors running a parade of horribles story like this. The Dartmouth Review does have a website, but it is not up so it is difficult to see if "independent" means "a campus newspaper" or "an outside newspaper designed to advance conservative politics on campus because the actual campus newspaper was too liberal".

That is not to say that what is presented in the photos and on video are false, rather that the presentation or context may be misleading, selectively edited, or disingenuous in how it connects the students to BLM or larger movements.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
holy shit i was reading the article and then my screen literally had 5 ads on it at the same time, 2 overlays, and one video

anyway, its unfortunate that BLM seems to be getting away from itself. Fox News will have a field day with this one, i'll bet

BLM should be doing disrupting stuff to get their message heard, but yelling at random white people in the library and calling them to fuck off doesn't seem like the right tactic here. The only message we're hearing here is the message presented in this article and that does nothing for the greater BLM movement.

anyway, its unfortunate that BLM seems to be getting away from itself. Fox News will have a field day with this one, i'll bet

Pretty much what I'm thinking about this. FN loves taking one example and painting an entire group with a broad brush.

Lol saw this yesterday. None of what is described in the article is in the video. They are marching through the library being disruptive and yelling. I would take this with a grain of salt considering the sources.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Not in jail? Since when can you crash a library at a university shouting slurs?

I guess given the numbers of the group in this specific incident, unless cops were there on the spot that's practically impossible. Since well, if I have to take a guess, not all engaged in such act?

Cagey

Banned
That being said, the Washington Times is a very low-credibility Moon-y rag. They claim to be citing "The Dartmouth Review", an "independent" newspaper on the campus, but their link to the story goes to CampusReform.org. CampusReform is an anti-liberal news outlet designed to train conservative activists for careers at Breitbart. Here is the mission of CampusReform.org. Here is the mission of The Leadership Institute, CampusReform's owners. The story may well be true, but to me in light of Breitbart, James O'Keefe, the Planned Parenthood tapes, etc. I am truly suspicious of an explicitly agenda-based organization designed to discredit BLM and black protestors running a parade of horribles story like this.

That is not to say that what is presented in the photos and on video are false, rather that the presentation or context may be misleading.
Came to say much the same. Some more information, or the information presented but provided by / backed up by more reputable news sources is necessary here before dumping on random students.

I still think BLM as a whole is a good thing. There will always be assholes attaching themselves to causes. Look at looters during protests over the years.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The video doesn't seem to show any of the more egregious claims made by the article, but I'd be pissed simply off of the fact that people come barging into the library and shouting like that.

BLM is a target, so I'm not ready to believe this off hand. Need reputable sources. That said, there are assholes of all flavors.

This is shitty and feels to me like the equivalent of the guy at the WTO protest who's there to throw a brick through a Starbucks window. If true, it is not excusable and those responsible should be punished. People deserve dignity and safety as they go about their day. It does not surprise me that Dartmouth would be the nexus of this even given their uneasy history with racial issues.

That being said, the Washington Times is a very low-credibility Moon-y rag. They claim to be citing "The Dartmouth Review", an "independent" newspaper on the campus, but their link to the story goes to CampusReform.org. CampusReform is an anti-liberal news outlet designed to train conservative activists for careers at Breitbart. Here is the mission of CampusReform.org. Here is the mission of The Leadership Institute, CampusReform's owners. The story may well be true, but to me in light of Breitbart, James O'Keefe, the Planned Parenthood tapes, etc. I am truly suspicious of an explicitly agenda-based organization designed to discredit BLM and black protestors running a parade of horribles story like this. The Dartmouth Review does have a website, but it is not up so it is difficult to see if "independent" means "a campus newspaper" or "an outside newspaper designed to advance conservative politics on campus because the actual campus newspaper was too liberal".

That is not to say that what is presented in the photos and on video are false, rather that the presentation or context may be misleading, selectively edited, or disingenuous in how it connects the students to BLM or larger movements.

I believe the original Dartmouth review article is here:

http://www.dartreview.com/eyes-wide-open-at-the-protest/

but the website has crashed. I'm guessing others are looking to see what the conservative websites are saying is the truth from the original source.

This is my problem with movements, anyone can join and then do there own stupid shit in the name of a movement and then it shifts the media attention to them. When I was in high school we had Hispanics protesting and tons of people joined to ditch class, so the news just interviewed all the people who were ditching class and had zero idea about the issues and it made the whole thing seem like a joke. The same thing is and will continue to happen here

So most of the people I follow when it comes to BLM had no knowledge of this situation.

Seems like the only folks covering it big time are Washington Times and of course Breitbart. And both are stretching the truth big time to get people's attention.

But since it's BLM and GAF have been waiting to get at the whole org for the longest time, of course folks are going to eat this small incident up.

kirblar

I still think BLM as a whole is a good thing. There will always be assholes attaching themselves to causes. Look at looters during protests over the years.
It definitely is, but this is the issue with decentralized movements- they can't kick these people out, anyone can claim membership. Same issue Feminism has with say, TERFs.
The video doesn't seem to show any of the more egregious claims made by the article, but I'd be pissed simply off of the fact that people come barging into the library and shouting like that.
Agreed. Even without the other claims this is completely ridiculous.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I believe the original Dartmouth review article is here:

http://www.dartreview.com/eyes-wide-open-at-the-protest/

but the website has crashed. I'm guessing others are looking to see what the conservative websites are saying is the truth from the original source.

Yeah, I edited in this after I posted but a few seconds before you quoted me. It may well be the case that the source is unbiased and fair, but given the chain of custody here my inclination is to say "hey, hmm, I'm not sure".

adj_noun

Since when can you crash a library at a university shouting slurs?

You can't. That's why I'm kinda wondering what the library response was.

I mean, I know the protocols we have at my branch, but those are mostly designed for one on one issues. The article doesn't say anything about cops as far as I can tell.

Skelter

Banned
Not all BLM

Seriously, the majority of the movement would not be down for this type of shit.

But this is what people will see and hear about the most. This only hurts them and someone with influence in the movement needs to stop it somehow.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I thought the Dartmouth Review was a legit student newspaper sourcing all this, but the website is dead and they have like 3k followers on twitter. Massive grain of salt with all those quotes.

So the original article is pretty clear. Unless there is a different version of events presented by the BLM side. This is the only account of it we have on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom