• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard hiring for Classic Games (SC, D2, War 3) to "restore them to glory"

SleazyC

A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

D2 + LoD is my gold standard for isometric loot heavy ARPGs.
I'd be afraid they'd change things too much gameplay wise.

I know the rune system had the most absurdly low drop rates out there and some of the runewords were ridiculously overpowered but man did they allow you to have some awesome cool builds. I don't see those surviving in a remaster.

taimoorh

Oh come on! I thought they were already working on remasters using the SC2 engine!

Disappointing because this collection will release no sooner than 3 years.

Philtastic

Concerning Diablo 2, I've tried going back after Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes, and it's just not that fun anymore. Spamming the one skill that you've pumped all your points into just isn't interesting gameplay any more. Its loot is also really boring when most of the items you will look forward to are simply "+skill" or "chance on hit to cast spell". Even if you do get the more interesting items, you might still have to start a new character (of the same class) to experiment with different skills that suit the gear, which is a big waste time in my opinion.

Nocturno999

giphy.gif

Coxy100

Banned
would buy these instantly - Starcraft is still my favourite RTS ever and Warcraft 3 was great fun too.

Now if we could have perfect copies of Command Conquer too then I'd be a happy man :)

KKRT00

Yeah, i dont get generally need for Diablo 2 remake, there are better games than it and its still playable, though the Blizzards based HD mod would be great.

What we need is Diablo 1 remake, because there is no a game similar to it, even from indie developers, which is strange to me. I would buy game similar to D1 in a heartbeat.

A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

D2 + LoD is my gold standard for isometric loot heavy ARPGs.

This kills the Diablo 3

Lime

Thats really cool. I wish other companies did the same with their legacy IPs (mechwarrior for example)

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Provided they do this justice, this is what remastered should be. Outdated but loved games. Not the silly 1 Year old game with improved framerate.

I'm in until they disappoint through design changes or sub par graphical updates.

Diablo 1 and 2 Remastered...now with always online requirement and real money auction house!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
so, it doesn't support widescreen :p

If stretching 4:3 -> 16:9 were to count, any game would "support" widescreen, as that is a feature pretty much every 16:9 monitor offers ;)
It was a hasty edit as the game offers widescreen resolutions but apparently it is indeed just stretched 4:3. If that's true my eyes suck! I shall check this evening.

Fugu

I love Diablo 2. It's the best game Blizzard has ever made. Hell, it's the best game anyone has ever made. I still play it; hell, I played it today.

So what I'm hoping to get out of this is a light touch. Here are the things that Blizzard should do:
- Require a CAPTCHA for game creation. By far the biggest problem plaguing multiplayer Diablo 2 is bots. The playerbase is largely apathetic towards maphack so I don't care if they do anything about that, but bots are really destroying the multiplayer experience.
- Implement the features of the glide version of the game universally and preferably at higher resolutions. This is much easier said than done and the current HD mods are essentially cheating because they increase the viewable area. It is essential that they preserve, or at the very least approximate, the viewing space of 800x600. I don't think they will do this, though, and I don't particularly blame them since it's a lot of work.
- Provide some much-needed balance to post-synergy Diablo 2. I've made a fair amount of notes on this subject as I've long thought about fixing this problem myself. There's a lot you could do, but there's also a lot you can do without going far down the rabbit hole. Many skills simply need a damage boost (Immolation Arrow) or to be included on a synergy chain (Nova), and fixing them would take seconds and go a long way. Of course, if they really wanted to be serious, they would tackle the more nebulous problem of big synergies as a whole, but my expectations are low.

Also, give the people a shared stash. Seriously.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh yeah i'll fucks with some Warcraft III again

edit: and every single one of my friends will reboot their SC addiction

lazygecko

Whenever i wanna give Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT another playthrough, i'm put off by how badly parts of it have aged - especially the fact that it's a 4:3 aspect ratio.

While i have all Blizzard games associated to my battle.net account already, i'd gladly pay for a remaster.

Starcraft (1!), on the other hand, has aged much more favourably, imho.

You would think a 3D game like Warcraft 3 would be quite easy to render in modern HD resolutions, but apparently the 4:3 ratio is forced no matter what you do. I think that's pretty unusual for a 3D game even from that period.

Starcraft 1 has technically aged much worse IMO. There are unofficial resolution mods, but they're a chore to get running, and on top of that there's problems with the colors on modern systems. The game also feels choppy as hell compared to stuff like the old C&C titles which run much more fluidly.

Lime

Why would You want them be like originals? UI are annoying, stash is too small, levels are too tied sometimes and some balance changed left a lot of to be desired.
Anyone who played modded version of those games will agree.

Also i dont understand why Blizzard block HD mod for Diablo 2, playing it in 800x600 is not fun.

Wait how are blizzard blocking this mod?

You would think a 3D game like Warcraft 3 would be quite easy to render in modern HD resolutions, but apparently the 4:3 ratio is forced no matter what you do. I think that's pretty unusual for a 3D game even from that period.

Starcraft 1 has technically aged much worse IMO. There are unofficial resolution mods, but they're a chore to get running, and on top of that there's problems with the colors on modern systems. The game also feels choppy as hell compared to stuff like the old C&C titles which run much more fluidly.

but there is an official 1080p patch for WC3

poodaddy

I read this as "convert to IOS/Android platform."

Although I would love to be wrong.

I want you to be wrong so fucking bad.....but I very seriously doubt that you are. In fact I'm willing to bet you're right on the fucking money. I don't know, I hate to admit this, but in a sense I think they'd translate fairly well to tablet controls. Christ what's wrong with me?!?

KKRT00

Wait how are blizzard blocking this mod?

Best resolution mod (MultiRes) works only with 1.12a, even though the mod doesnt modify game at all, and Battlenet version is 1.13c or d.

Other mods that works with 1.13 can be detected as hack by Battlenet and can get You banned ;/

I still dont get why Blizzard just didnt incorporate the MultiRes code into their patch, it seems like a nobrainer.

Tacitus_

I really wouldn't expect anything other than making the games support modern OSs, higher resolutions and making the UI work on those higher resolutions.

I still dont get why Blizzard just didnt incorporate the MultiRes code into their patch, it seems like a nobrainer.

The higher resolution break some aspects of the game. At HD and higher resolutions you can attack mobs from range without engaging them because you are outside of their awareness for example.

Top Bottom