• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard has appointed its first head of culture

Bullet Club

Blizzard has appointed its first head of culture​

Disney veteran Jessica Martinez takes on the newly created role

t3OlTDL.jpg

Blizzard Entertainment has named Jessica Martinez as its first vice president, head of culture.

Prior to joining the World of Warcraft studio, Martinez spent 14 years at Disney where she led strategy, communications, operations and employee experience as its chief of staff.

In her new role, she’ll work with Blizzard’s leadership team to implement its culture strategy, ensuring alignment across its various teams and functions, and to revamp its learning and talent development programmes.

“When you create a people-first environment where teams feel safe, valued, and work together toward a shared purpose, everyone thrives–the employees, the players, and the business,” Martinez said.

“Making the values of our connections show up in what we do is how we bring humanity back to business.”

Martinez’s appointment is Activision Blizzard’s latest move to address workplace toxicity issues brought to light last July when it was sued by California’s Department of Fair Employment and Housing over its failure to handle sexual harassment and discrimination against female employees.

The company is in the process of attempting to clean up its image as it seeks to merge with Microsoft in a $68.7 billion deal currently being scrutinised by the US Federal Trade Commission.

Four senators recently wrote to the FTC expressing their concern that the proposed deal “threatens worker-led demands for accountability” over sexual misconduct and discrimination allegations.

Source: VGC

Jennings

Thank god. Maybe she can return the studio to its former glory by ensuring the same productive working environment that created StarCraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 once again prevails. Blizzard needs a quick turn-around, I can only hope this does the trick and they're able to recapture the magic well before this generation is over.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s hard to say what this will be like, because even though they created a role it could largely be to change public perception about Blizzard. But it could just as easily be something they are putting their all into, and Martinez is going to be the queen of changing as much as possible. Fingers crossed they find some balance where things that don’t need to change end up being changed.

All a company really needs is some decent, unbiased people that solve problems when they arise, but I guess when a company drives a women to suicide the normal rules stop applying.

nush

Disney? Ask the Parks cast members staff how great the culture is or the HollyPedowood ones.

Waiting for the Blizzard
R-C.b3acd1f880e6345b04fa6c80ff254798

policy.

nush

Wait.. get this GAF. She has her own URL.... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I see someone that believes their own hype and can't hold a job for very long. I've never seen anyone so full of themselves that a Linkedin account just isn't enough for them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is that a political commissar, by a diferent name?
Doesn't really sound like it. They have whole diversity and HR departments.

Who knows, but to me it sounds more like she's actually in charge of managing their actual work culture, internal communication strategies, internal training and promotion strategies.

Last edited:

nush

To be honest, there is no problem here, I would have done the same considering Activision-Blizzard's reputation. Bashing this is childish and just trying to find something to hate.

Look at the link I posted, her work history is in marketing, not team-building or HR or anything that would benefit a culture change.

head of culture? what the fuck does that even mean? Is she gonna give internal seminars like "10 reasons why sending dick pics to your female coworkers is bad"??

this looks like a PR hire more than anything. Maybe you should spend your resources making actual good games, and not market balance patches as "a sequel".

head of culture? what the fuck does that even mean? Is she gonna give internal seminars like "10 reasons why sending dick pics to your female coworkers is bad"??

this looks like a PR hire more than anything. Maybe you should spend your resources making actual good games, and not market balance patches as "a sequel".
DZfvr6p.gif

nkarafo

I always wondered what all these "diversity consultants" do and this looks like the same thing.

Really, what do they do 8 hours every day? How long does it take to scan the staff and fire a couple of white dudes?

Thank god. Maybe she can return the studio to its former glory by ensuring the same productive working environment that created StarCraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 once again prevails. Blizzard needs a quick turn-around, I can only hope this does the trick and they're able to recapture the magic well before this generation is over.

While working environment helps, i'm pretty sure the most important thing about the ex-staff who created Starcraft and Diablo was their talent and skills. Not sure how a "head of culture" can help with that.

Last edited:

nush

Really, what do they do 8 hours every day?

Woke Powerpoints and fluff time wasting meetings to look busy before retreating to their private office to post on social media and pick up a phat paycheck at the end of the month.

I've worked at that level, it's all about looking like your achieving something and not calling out others that are on that level that also know it's also a grift because of mutual assured destruction.

The Peter Principle in action.

Bragr

Banned
Look at the link I posted, her work history is in marketing, not team-building or HR or anything that would benefit a culture change.
How do you know? who knows exactly what she has done in her work. She might be perfect for this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

I see someone that believes their own hype and can't hold a job for very long. I've never seen anyone so full of themselves that a Linkedin account just isn't enough for them.
lots of people have their own websites to show off their work. there's nothing wrong with this. if anything, making her own website will help her stand out more from those who think a LinkedIn account is enough. i know we all like to shit on blizzard but i think you're reaching a bit here.

Last edited:

nush

lots of people have their own websites to show off their work. there's nothing wrong with this. if anything, making her own website will help her stand out more from those who think a LinkedIn account is enough. i know we all like to shit on blizzard but i think you're reaching a bit here.

Nope. I've read enough "This will make me stand out CV's" to know to avoid them. There is absolutely nothing on her website that cannot be posted on Linkedin. She's not posting an art or media portfolio there. Again to you also I say read that link.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nope. I've read enough "This will make me stand out CV's" to know to avoid them. There is absolutely nothing on her website that cannot be posted on Linkedin. She's not posting an art or media portfolio there. Again to you also I say read that link.
i did read it.

Bragr

Banned
You didn't read the link did you? It's all in her own words. Read it, come back to me.

That's just companies she's worked for, how can you possibly know how she is and how she approaches culture from that. They didn't hire her for nothing. Besides, she worked with a lot of different people and a lot of different companies. Looks like she has a good grasp of what makes a good work culture with that experience.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

That's not even her website. You have the fact checking skills of a games journalist.

nush

how can you possibly know how she is and how she approaches culture from that.

I guess I'm going to have to do this the hard way and watch you move the goalposts again...

Orchestrated guerilla-marketing tactics for Atlantic Records artists in the South Florida region for album releases and concerts.

Executed studio directives in five Florida markets

Executed customer engagement in a high-capacity retail location while working cross-functionally with multiple departments to ensure guest quality and safety.

Worked closely with digital, creative, research planners and production teams to efficiently deliver strategies, solutions, flawless execution and results to clients.

Oversaw all aspects of over 10 fully integrated, multi-cultural advertising campaigns from project inception to completion for branding, digital, radio, social and TV content while ensuring creative deliverables were aligned to brand voice and strategy.

Worked closely with digital, creative, research planners and production teams to efficiently deliver strategies, solutions, flawless execution and results to clients.

Oversaw all advertising aspects of brand launch in USA market including social media strategy, branding elements, digital billboards, print materials

Developed over 20 press releases, talking points and Q&A's regarding clients upcoming campaigns.

Overhauled influencer marketing efforts by creating detailed spreadsheets tailored per client based off target audience, engagement rate, content produced

Relaunched Norwegian Cruise Line’s loyalty program, Latitudes Rewards, along with developing strategy and creative to increase reach and guest loyalty through various communication channels.

Blizzard have hired an experienced marketing executive to manage internal staff and company culture problems. It's right there, in her own words.

Top Bottom