• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blim delivers DOA4 Spartan screens

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
bobjuice said:
Wow, I thought that drooling girl was a dude

No wonder you're angry!!!

When the waiter drops your food off and tells you its a hot plate, you touch it, don't you?

Zer0

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I invite you to post pics of Ninja Gaiden Black and compare. Aside from the FSAA and motion blur, it looks very close.

its looks excellent...for a xbox game

cmon ppl this doa4 is a cheap job,get real

Mihyaeru

Sai said:
SPARTAN model looks weird. :/

It looks like painted plastic... I guess its because this one was made in japan :lol: j/k maybe it has something to do with her being a girl and MC's is to heavy. Other than that it looks just like MC and this looks like a halo fighitng game when its two spartans on the Halo level!

Lakitu

st5fu
fulgore.gif

"Bitch.."

Blimblim

The Inside Track
OG_Original Gamer said:
Not something you would expect from Team Ninja?
Definitely not. Team Ninja has never been known for true to life "mathematical" effects like cube/spherical reflexion mapping.
TN usually takes a lot of shortcuts to achieve the visual level they want to. With Xbox I had no problem with this, but on Xbox 360 it's much more difficult for me to accept the awful shadowing/lighting system for example.

FiRez

It doesn't look that bad, but even the lame Halo 2 has a better MC model in its cut scenes

masterchief.jpg

Halo_2_09_143541a.jpg

heck even on gameplay the visor of MC shined

think about it

OT: I think sp0rsk gets offended for too little, this is a forum on th3 1ntr4w3b!!!!...... anyway.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
impirius said:
floor texture :(

Here's hoping Team Ninja can figure out how to push the 360 to its limits... right now, DOA4 basically looks like a high-def version of their Xbox efforts with some motion blur thrown in. That's more praise for what they did on the Xbox than a knock on their current effort.
I gotta be honest. I completely forgot this was for the 360 when I was looking at the screen shots.

DCX

DCX
GhaleonEB said:
752_0002.jpg

If Halo 3 were announced today, and the MC model looks like this, it would be carange. It looks good - but NOT next gen.
Really? Minus some like special effects like normal mapping and reflections it looks great even for HALO 3. Can you imagine what the game worlds would look like? Organic environments with wonderful weather effects. Real time lighting, the ability to stage a REAL war against thousands upon thousand enemies?

DCX

Borys

Banned
Blimblim said:
Definitely not. Team Ninja has never been known for true to life "mathematical" effects like cube/spherical reflexion mapping.
TN usually takes a lot of shortcuts to achieve the visual level they want to. With Xbox I had no problem with this, but on Xbox 360 it's much more difficult for me to accept the awful shadowing/lighting system for example.

The most mind boogling part is that Xbox 360 could easily pull it off IMO it's just that TN has a different vision of how DOA should look like. I really can't understand this decision.

I don't undesrtand, master chief with boobs? what's next? a male samus on soul calibur?

also, I've read that this is suposedly cannon for both series, what happened to the unwritten rule of never taking the storyline in fighting games seriously?

Borys said:
The most mind boogling part is that Xbox 360 could easily pull it off IMO it's just that TN has a different vision of how DOA should look like. I really can't understand this decision.

Are there any other Japanese devs that have this problem?

GhaleonEB

..pakbeka.. said:
I don't undesrtand, master chief with boobs? what's next? a male samus on soul calibur?

also, I've read that this is suposedly cannon for both series, what happened to the unwritten rule of never taking the storyline in fighting games seriously?

It's a female Spartan, not the femal Master Chief. The extended universe in the books has several female Spartans, so it's not a stretch.

Frankie did mention in a recent update that Bungie wrote the background story for the tie-in, but also said it would be 'tongue-in-cheek". I suspect is will be quasi-cannon ala the I Love Bees saga.

GhaleonEB said:
Ryu in the seocnd one looks better.

Initially I agreed with you, but after taking a closer look at the second Ryu model there are some things that are just textures on the Xbox Model that are actually rednered on the 360 DOA4. Might be better to compare shots showing the same side of Ryu.

There is a very slight possibility I might play PGR3 or Perfect Dark Zero first. But then, straight onto Halo one. We’re going to have more to tell you about how Halo one and two look on 360, and it’s all good news.
Speaking of Tree-Sitty, the kids are all atwitter over the hi-res versions of the DOA screenshots featuring a certain female Spartan called Spartan 458. We still, for various reasons, can’t talk about it, but the shots are apparently all over the European websites. We promise we’ll tell you more about that in the future.
But here’s what I will tell you now. She is indeed a female Spartan called Spartan 458. Those shots are real. They are taken from an early iteration of the character by Team Ninja. The shots ran in this month’s Game Informer magazine, where there’s a bit more info. We’ve seen her in action, and she rocks.
It’s hard not to tell you about it. I want to, for example, describe her awesome fighting style, or how detailed the model looks (the shots don’t do it justice) or how cool it is to have a Spartan fighting a Ninja (you would be amazed how many complaints I’ve gotten about her seeming out of place, given that it’s all done with a wry nod and a wink.) But Team Ninja has really done her justice. And no, she doesn’t jiggle. But she does, as I’ve already mentioned, rock.
The weirdest thing about it is seeing a fully animated Spartan without a gun. After a second though, she looks totally natural. Or as natural as a seven foot tall Spartan killing machine can look. And wait until you see her special moves and counters. And yes, we know what her back-story is, because we created it. We’ll tell you about it soon.

From the weekly update: http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=weeklyupdateoct21&p=5117012

Mihyaeru

DrDogg said:
halocompare.jpg

ngcompare.jpg

EDIT: Better comparison

Wow the second screen looks much better and thats a FULL game on xbox1 and the other is a FIGHTING game on 360... look at ryus arms in the first screen they look like clay on xbox they have veins and everything! plus the spartans visor has like no reflectiong ryu should be on there if this is NEXT GEN after how good xbox looked...

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Ryu in the seocnd one looks brighter.
Fixed.

Not he doesn't look "better" in the NG shot. He looks shallow, ie the textures don't provide the depth that the character should have.

DrDogg said:
halocompare.jpg

ngcompare.jpg

EDIT: Better comparison

So the DOA Spartan model is pratically fully modeled with all it's nook and crannies and the Xbox version is normal mapped. If their engine supported heavier use of normal maps, it would be the best of both worlds.

Mihyaeru

raYne said:
Fixed.

Not he doesn't look "better" in the NG shot. He looks shallow, ie the textures don't provide the depth that the character should have.

Huh its surly not noticeable enough and look at that visor it looks like its not even made of glass or anything that’s see through... I would hope a next gen system would look leaps better even to the untrained eye..

DrDogg

ngcompare2.jpg

Better comparison maybe?

It looks better, but you really have to kinda look. There should be a larger leap than this IMO.

raYne

Mihyaeru said:
Huh its surly not notisable enough and look at that visor it looks like its not even made of glass or anything thats see through...
Yeah, lets judge it by how shiny the visor is!

The visor doesn't reflect anything, it's just shiny with the same "reflection" on it. The texture work is far more noticeable.

SonnyBoy

I find something off in the texturing for the girl master chief model. It doesnt look like an armor material.

What is that? Velvet!?!

SonnyBoy

DrDogg said:
ngcompare2.jpg

Better comparison maybe?

It looks better, but you really have to kinda look. There should be a larger leap than this IMO.

The only reason I knew which picture was the Xbox version was because someone used the same shot in an earlier comparision. They look nearly identical at a glance. I for one have never been amazed Team Ninja DOA offering for the 360. It seems like a port and I doubt we'll see their talents utilized until the next offering. I think this was rushed.

Mihyaeru

SonnyBoy said:
I find something off in the texturing for the girl master chief model. It doesnt look like an armor material.

What is that? Velvet!?!

No, like I said this Spartan was made in japan. You know how america made cars strong and heavy then japan made plastic ones (that are better on gas)... kinda like that haha I keed:D

Another example is the Xbox it self... so American built. :lol .

GhaleonEB

After scrutiny, the new Ryu model does look better.

BARELY

Really, should we even be debating which one is better? Why do we have to look for parts on the new one which is more detailed and bumpy? It should just jump out and scream 'next gen am here' and it sure doesn't.

The MC model is clearly using lots more polygons, but the overall effect is not better, IMO. Just different. Might look better in motion, tho.

Oh, and the most important part of the update is:

Those shots are real. They are taken from an early iteration of the character by Team Ninja.

Wait for the final build! (the new Beta Kits!)

joaomgcd

There is a very slight possibility I might play PGR3 or Perfect Dark Zero first. But then, straight onto Halo one. We’re going to have more to tell you about how Halo one and two look on 360, and it’s all good news.

What does he mean? They are going to have more to tell us, but they don't? When are they going to tell us?

Well, if he's going to play through Halo one again, it should have a great update in graphics, because as it is, it looks really bad on a HDTV, so there's a good sign right there :D

scarybore

joaomgcd said:
What does he mean? They are going to have more to tell us, but they don't? When are they going to tell us?

Well, if he's going to play through Halo one again, it should have a great update in graphics, because as it is, it looks really bad on a HDTV, so there's a good sign right there :D

Im hoping itll be playable in 720p atleast, that for me will make me play it again in the future. Hopefully my PAL 360 will let me play the US version as the PAL game feels horribly slow in comparason.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Just be glad Team Ninja isn't making the next Halo game. Having said that I would love to see a video of this "spartans" fighting style. What martial-art do futuristic marines study?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The only thing that doesn't look good on the new Ryu model is the skin. I have no problem with the rest of him. What else exactly are they going to do to make him look way better? You guys are bitching not because it looks really bad but because the xbox ninja gaiden looks so incredibly good. The only thing the new model needs is better skin. Other than that just better lighting to make the whole thing overall look a lot better.

FiRez

DrDogg said:
ngcompare2.jpg

Better comparison maybe?

a much better comparison should be the ryu DOA:U model vs the DOA4 model, I'm sure that the NG model has less detail

Victrix

*beard*
"Why aren't you using your Katana?"

"I dunno, why aren't you using a Battle Rifle?"

I can't help but think that every single time I see Ryu in DoA, and now I can think it every time Miss Chief shows up

Lo-Volt

I guess that'll help it sell with Xbox 360 owners this year, but I don't see a reason this should really have to send this game over the top. But my Xbox-wielding friend is incredibly excited over the inclusion of the Spartan if that's any indication of how this will play with Xbox loyalists.

The problem with this game's graphics I think have to do with what team ninja is, and always has been, good at. Lots of polygons. Team Ninja's games last gen threw around shit tons of polygons, and thats what made them stand out. There was little else spectacular about the graphics, technically. This gen that doesn't count for as much. It's more about the effects now, and that is something that Team Ninja really has never been that good at.

GhaleonEB

Lo-Volt said:
I guess that'll help it sell with Xbox 360 owners this year, but I don't see a reason this should really have to send this game over the top. But my Xbox-wielding friend is incredibly excited over the inclusion of the Spartan if that's any indication of how this will play with Xbox loyalists.

Well, I fucking hate Team Ninja, but I'm a Bungie fanatic. I admit this does excite me, but the (IMHO) poor model and the fact that it's, you know, a DOA game, means I'm stayiing far away. If I were even remotely interested in a DOA game, this would lock me in solid. I can see how this would excite a good chunk of XBots, ala Zelda in SCII.

aerofx

Impressive modeling. Just needs some nice normal maps and good lighting. Anyway, I'm curious as to what kind of sounds she'll be making or if she'll be mute.

Top Bottom