• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong - Official Trailer

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
All depends on what platform it releases on

PC = chinese trash game, lots of hackers no ty
Xbox = pathethic they need to hire chinese trash developers to get games going for it that don't even win goty's look at sony goty goty goty after eachother.
playstation = god tier game another killer IP, goty 10/10 best game in the universe. if added a twist at the end that the ape is transgender its 10/10 universally in the US.
Spot on.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yea feels a bit downgraded from the tech demo they had, but still solid looking tho.

Tech demo

2e0d9d0df149357cf617e3557827bafdb66a9a2e.gifv

hqdefault.jpg

d3200e41fd84d3c760a37c113e380245.gif

Probably a PC to console downgrade like we saw with watch dogs.

WitchHunter

Banned
They have nailed it so far in the art, graphics and presentation departments. If they manage to make it a more accesible version of a Souls-like game, this will be a hit. The fact that truly amazes me is that this is coming out of nowhere from some obscure developer.
It will be a hit. It's a game made in China...

CamHostage

Maybe at the ID@Xbox showcase?

I think it's this one.

Neither Black Myth: Wukong or Faith of Danschant: Hereafter were at ID@Xbox, I don't think any Chinese titles were in the show? (Seems like they both could have been, considering I believe both have console targets, but maybe they don't fit the ID@ model?) PlayStation has done some work courting Chinese developers with its China Hero Project, Xbox may not be as aggressive there yet from what I've seen, but I'm positive they have eyes on that scene. (Actually, their approach was to actually picked up some of the biggest Asian market games for Xbox themselves, like the Korean KartRider game and China's Crossfire, so Xbox might be ahead in some ways?)

And both of Black Myth and Faith of Danschant are indicative of what China is coming at the world with: really great visual presentation and technical base (albeit auto-lipsync technology is one key that nation needs to exploit, desperately,) and rather familiar but potentially interesting gameplay systems. (Danschant caught me a little more, with its physical objects like bamboo logs that have knockback physics when you cut them down; Wukong was pretty but otherwise left no impression on me yet.) I don't think they have many novel or iconoclastic game designers in its community yet, and I don't think it'll have fund "bubble economy" golden era of great designers getting rockstar treatment that we saw in the best years of Japanese game design (there are some one-man operations coming out of the Chinese game development scene, but otherwise AFAIK there's not been a game development studio that's been able to make a name for itself?) But it is starting to boom there, financially at least, and maybe creatively it will get good too? There should be some good games from Chinese game makers coming up (...and a lot of crap that looks good on the surface.)

Not sure why this game doesn't have it's own topic. Looks amazing.
I think this is what you're looking for? Thread didn't catch on yet, but more people should watch it, so bump it if you have things to say.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Looks boring, janky and generic.

I'd rather them not copy anything and just make good games. It's a waste of potential, and in the end they will live forever in the shadow of bigger developers.

Tell me what game they're copying exactly.

Fact of the matter is most games take inspiration from games that came before it. If you don't like it, go back to playing first gen console games.

Same ol G

AAA games in general (any third person cinematic walking sim that comes to mind)

They're clearly trying to look AAA with a small budget. The end result is something unpolished and janky.
The problem with this approach is that it sets consumers expectations way too high, and when they actually play the game they realize that it's just smokes and mirrors and a boring game with no direction.

But hey, consumers nowadays just gulp down whatever good looking crap big companies throw at them for the sake of it, so who knows, it might work!

Inspiration =\= ripping off.
It's one thing to take inspiration (e.g. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were inspired by Ultima and Wizardry but have their own gameplay systems and identity), but it's another thing to simply add another coat of paint over the same principles and don't make an effort to understand the underlying systems and make something of your own.
(Amateur) Indie developers are specially guilty of this.

Thing is, most chinese developers don't create new things, they simply rip off things that are popular.
The end result is a Frankenstein of a game that has no soul, only a hollow body.

Thanks for being open to discussion. I'm sure we could get better games if we just stopped caring about quality and criticism and simply gulped down every new game that is released.

China has potential, but this is not it. They have a big workforce, but zero creativity, and zero incentive cultivate creativity.
You've already made up your mind without seeing any gameplay or playing a demo.
There is not a lot to discuss if you think like that.

Same ol G

Isn't the video gameplay? Are you sure about that?

You talk as if they're making a revolutionary new way to interact with games that no game has done before and can only be experienced by this particular game.
Just look at the videos, it's your generic AAA combat rip-off that every other game employs. Same thing over different coat of paint. Frankeinsten game.
Chinese developers are appealing to visuals and heavily scripted scenes in an attempt to make it look AAA. Except it doesn't have AAA budget. It's janky.

But surely there is a lot to dicuss by simply praising and wowing and consuming without saying bad things, right?

I wouldn't go as far to say that they shouldn't attempt bigger projects, but they clearly lack expertise and incentive to make something great for PCs and consoles.
Their strong point is clearly making mobile games and having a big workforce for outsourcing.
Yeah your right everyone else is wrong.
Sorry to be impressed by something or wanting to give it a chance i should've known better, no fun allowed in here........

Concern

Isn't the video gameplay? Are you sure about that?

You talk as if they're making a revolutionary new way to interact with games that no game has done before and can only be experienced by this particular game.
Just look at the videos, it's your generic AAA combat rip-off that every other game employs. Same thing over different coat of paint. Frankeinsten game.
Chinese developers are appealing to visuals and heavily scripted scenes in an attempt to make it look AAA. Except it doesn't have AAA budget. It's janky.

But surely there is a lot to dicuss by simply praising and wowing and consuming without saying bad things, right?

I wouldn't go as far to say that they shouldn't attempt bigger projects, but they clearly lack expertise and incentive to make something great for PCs and consoles.
Their strong point is clearly making mobile games and having a big workforce for outsourcing.

stop no GIF by cerecdoctors

I think the first post was bad enough. You're just further embarrassing yourself, trolling, or both at this point.

OT: These indie devs are really impressing, considering what they're working with. Although Wukong is still by far the more interesting one imo.

There's been some really enjoyable looking Chinese games shown over the past few months and I do find Chinese mythology fascinating. There's been loads of games over the years based on the pretty famous Journey to the West novel but I'm really pleased to be seeing this expanding into other stories.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Like your posts.
It's funny. I agree with him, but also with you. I think the game is all those things but also so much more. the artstyle looks stunning. The visuals look a cut above the cross gen trash we have been getting so far this gen, and while I hate how janky and plasticy it looks they seem to have put a lot of effort making the combat look original.

Lots to like here.

kiphalfton

AAA games in general (any third person cinematic walking sim that comes to mind)

They're clearly trying to look AAA with a small budget. The end result is something unpolished and janky.
The problem with this approach is that it sets consumers expectations way too high, and when they actually play the game they realize that it's just smokes and mirrors and a boring game with no direction.

But hey, consumers nowadays just gulp down whatever good looking crap big companies throw at them for the sake of it, so who knows, it might work!

It's one thing to take inspiration (e.g. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were inspired by Ultima and Wizardry but have their own gameplay systems and identity), but it's another thing to simply add another coat of paint over the same principles and don't make an effort to understand the underlying systems and make something of your own.

Thing is, most chinese developers don't create new things, they simply rip off things that are popular.
The end result is a Frankenstein of a game that has no soul, only a hollow body.

Thanks for being open to discussion. I'm sure we could get better games if we just stopped caring about quality and criticism and simply gulped down every new game that is released.

China has potential, but this is not it. They have a big workforce, but zero creativity, and zero incentive cultivate creativity.

Yes, because based on your posts I quoted I'm sure you're open to discussion. Maybe try and make it seem like you're not trolling next time, and people might take you a bit more seriously and be more open to discussion.

anothertech

You have good points about other games I can think of, but mostly you sound racist in this post.

These games absolutely have some merit and creativity behind them.

Outlier

A good game is a good game, no matter where it's made or by whom.

The game appears visually stunning, but I do not see a "good" game. I see a very flashy game.

Throwing tons of spectacle at my eyes don't tell me the game will feel as good as it looks.

With that said, I am cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom