• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong Releases August 20, 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
muytPuU.png

Break free from the shackles of earthly desires.Confront your destiny on the journey westwards.The premiere of the official release date trailer for Black Myth: Wukong took place at The Game Awards 2023. The trailer showcased PC-captured footage, including actual gameplay and in-game cinematics, while supporting 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos.The trailer featured here holds a few surprises not seen in the TGA version. Take a closer look and see what's new.Black Myth: Wukong is now available to wishlist on Steam and Epic Games Store. Coming soon to PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S.​

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It looks interesting but I have no experience with Chinese games, I hope it turns out good.

CamHostage

Graphics look unbelievable, and I love the animation of multi-legged creatures. Some fun gameplay style shown as well in the bits of combat shown. Looking forward to seeing if they can pull this off.

Last edited:

Exentryk

This was my most anticipated game, but the soulslike nature did put a damper on the hype. I'll still play it, but would have enjoyed this game more if had a bigger narrative focus.
Anyway, day 1 on PC.

hlm666

I'm still keen on this game, but the image quality during fast motion is still pretty bad in this trailer. Hope it's not using dlss, if it is well gg.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This was my most anticipated game, but the soulslike nature did put a damper on the hype. I'll still play it, but would have enjoyed this game more if had a bigger narrative focus.
Anyway, day 1 on PC.
As someone who REALYY enjoys FROM games, I personally hate this trend. As if "Souls-like" is the only type of action game exist now.

Last edited:

Toons

I've been looking forward to this since the announcement trailer ages ago. I'll be buying.

Last edited:
Looks really good. Though, I wonder what the over-under is going to be on how many times the word destiny is said in a playthrough.

Exentryk

As some who REALYY enjoys FROM games, I personally hate this trend. As if "Souls-like" is the only type of action exist now.
My ultimate wish was for this game to be the Chinese Witcher 3. I am still holding out hope that it has enough story focus that is at least somewhat feels like that. I'm really interested in delving into this new mythology and seeing the world that the devs have imagined.

Last edited:

Elios83

Looks fantastic, imo one of the best UE5 based games so far, I thought that it was initially releasing only on PC but it seems it will be released simultaneously on consoles as well.

How will certain studios copy/steal this when they don't have the cultural background will be very interesting : DDD.
Let’s not overstate this game’s originality, looks to me they applied the GOW idea to the Journey to the West mythology and mixed in some Souls gameplay.
Obviously the key is their execution, execution can’t be copied, every game has to achieve that on their own.

Last edited:

Luipadre

That spider looked disgusting. I still wont believe this will be as good as the trailer suggests until i get my hands on it

GymWolf

I know people think that hb2 was the graphic king of the awards but i kinda like this a bit more, the game looking 500x times more interesting to play also helps.

Also half of reeee hate this game so it's all added value.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

I know people think that hb2 was the graphic king of the awards but i kinda like this a bit more, the game looking 500x times more interesting to play also helps.
This easily looks better from what was shown from both while being much larger/open world. Wokung won't look nearly as good on console and may possibly not even look as good on PC upon release (expecting downgrades) where as HB2 can still improve and i'm much more confident the final product will at least match what has been shown. One is an open world with some of the best assets and density i've seen and the other a corridor crawler; one is much easier to execute than the other. HB2 should have come out during launch window when its visuals (the only thing it has going for it imo) would have stood out but instead is now relealising at a time where multiple games meet or exceed it graphically and Wukong may not even release at all. Such odd games to comapare XD.

GymWolf

This easily looks better from what was shown from both while being much larger/open world. Wokung won't look nearly as good on console and may possibly not even look as good on PC upon release (expecting downgrades) where as HB2 can still improve and i'm much more confident the final product will at least match what has been shown. One is an open world with some of the best assets and density i've seen and the other a corridor crawler; one is much easier to execute than the other. HB2 should have come out during launch window when its visuals (the only thing it has going for it imo) would have stood out but instead is now relealising at a time where multiple games meet or exceed it graphically and Wukong may not even release at all. Such odd games to comapare XD.
People have been calling for downgrades since the first reveal of wukong and the game still look splendid, so i'm not sure if your prediction of a downgrade is ever gonna realize, in the mean time, hb2 got a noticeable downgrade from the very first trailer with senua's face close up, so...

Also, i'm gonna play both games on pc, i actually don't give a fuck about how it is gonna look on console and let's be real, if hb2 wasn't made by M, over the course of the years it has been looked more of a vaporware title than wukong that had multiple long gameplay showing and a fucking public demo during an event :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think hb2 looks super impressive even today, i think you missed all the people who called it the graphic king after the last trailer.

Gojiira

It ‘looks’ nice and everything but not sure its going to be anything but a linear boss rush. Will keep an eye on it of course but yeah not getting hyped unless it starts showing more to it besides bosses.

eNT1TY

People have been calling for downgrades since the first reveal of wukong and the game still look splendid, so i'm not sure if your prediction of a downgrade is ever gonna realize, in the mean time, hb2 got a noticeable downgrade from the very first trailer with senua's face close up, so...

Also, i'm gonna play both games on pc, i actually don't give a fuck about how it is gonna look on console and let's be real, if hb2 wasn't made by M, over the course of the years it has been looked more of a vaporware title than wukong that had multiple long gameplay showing and a fucking public demo during an event :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I think hb2 looks super impressive even today, i think you missed all the people who called it the graphic king after the last trailer.
You'll have to forgive my skepticism regarding Wukong, it's mostly Game Science that I have doubts with considering their only other game was a rudimentary moba. I get a "too good to be true at its current state" vibe from it, same vibe I got from Space Marine 2 and that got delayed by a year. Both of those games look head and shoulders better than any other upcoming release that have shown real gameplay demos. Hell i'm still kinda raw about Witcher 3 and how that turned out when consoles were thrown in the mix, i keep thinking the same may happen here. I want nothing more than for Wokung to deliver. I even have doubts it'll come this year, maybe an early 2025 winter release is what awaits. Remember Huxley, i'm getting Huxley vibes... oh no!

GymWolf

You'll have to forgive my skepticism regarding Wukong, it's mostly Game Science that I have doubts with considering their only other game was a rudimentary moba. I get a "too good to be true at its current state" vibe from it, same vibe I got from Space Marine 2 and that got delayed by a year. Both of those games look head and shoulders better than any other upcoming release that have shown real gameplay demos. Hell i'm still kinda raw about Witcher 3 and how that turned out when consoles were thrown in the mix, i keep thinking the same may happen here. I want nothing more than for Wokung to deliver. I even have doubts it'll come this year, maybe an early 2025 winter release is what awaits. Remember Huxley, i'm getting Huxley vibes... oh no!
The thing is, i don't think they are so ahead of the competition to be super unrealistic, not when a uber gigantic open world like avatar is around and it's arguably the best graphic on a game ever or top 3 at the very least.

Especially space marine 2 that really doesn't look better than avatar or aw2 at all imo (big hordes of enemies were a thing past gen so it's not inherently impressive or nextgen)

I'm gonna remain skeptical on the quality of the game, but after lies of p, i kinda have more faith in korean\chinese devs to deliver.

Top Bottom