• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mirror Season 5 Release Date Leaked by Netflix. This year: December 28.

Feels good to be back. :) Onwards with contributing!

Charge Up Your Existential Dread, Because The Black Mirror Season 5 Release Date Just Leaked
ALONG WITH AN OBSCURE TITLE FOR THE SHOW'S LATEST INSTALMENT.

Talk about the fifth season of sci-fi drama Black Mirror has been rampant for months, with fans eagerly awaiting the next dose of self-reflective, slightly whacky and always dark dystopian story telling. Now it's dropped on twitter that in typical fashion, the show was planning a surprise release later this month, however Netflix has come along and spoiled its own surprise, dropping an absolute clanger of a leak on twitter over the weekend.

Netflix's NX on Netflix twitter account posted a mini calendar of its most-anticipated new additions to come to American Netflix over the final month of the year, which included the first episode of the show's upcoming fifth season, titled Bandersnatch. The word Bandersnatch refers to a fictional creature from Lewis Carroll's 1872 novel Through the Looking-Glass, part of the Alice In Wonderland series.

Netflix very quickly took the tweet down, with most speculating that it was Black Mirror's inclusion that was the key stuff-up in what they chose to announce. Black Mirror is perhaps the most secretive show on the Netflix platform, with the streaming giant taking particularly tight measures to keep details about the show's production under wraps. All we do know so far is that the show may be set for an industry-first interactive episode, which allows viewers to be the producers in a choose-your-own-adventure-style format.

More at the link along with a screenshot of the now deleted Netflix tweet that leaked the info.

So December 28. Right before the dawn of the New Year like last year.

Fans of Black Mirror here? It's my fave science fiction show ever. Loved every episode and the recent seasons. Anyone hyped for this?

DKehoe

Sounds like it will just be a Christmas special rather than a full series. The title is interesting though, a bit of a call back to Brooker’s games journalism career.

HeadsUp7Up

I can’t wait! One of the few shows I binge watched since I found it. Will do the same for this one too! Hard to decide which is my favorite but it’s between Crocodile, Nosedive, and Shut Up And Dance.

Sounds like it will just be a Christmas special rather than a full series. The title is interesting though, a bit of a call back to Brooker’s games journalism career.

I think it's the entire season 5! They shot it all earlier this year. Another 6 episodes. Same thing happened last year when "Crocodile" appeared on late December leaked Netflix schedules as the first scheduled episode of season 4. It's an entirely new season to usher in the New Year.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Fuck yes. Competing with the Wire for my favourite show of all time. One of the few that has me hooked for every minute of every episode.

Nelsin

Banned
Getting high and watching black mirror makes me feel like I live in 2200s.

So excited for season 5 one of the most creative and mind blowing shows on netflix.

Krixeus

Hopefully it’ll be better than season 4. Can’t even really remember any episode from that season that stood out compared to previous seasons.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Hopefully it’ll be better than season 4. Can’t even really remember any episode from that season that stood out compared to previous seasons.

I loved Season 4. Probably the best season yet IMO.

USS Callister
Crocodile
Hang the DJ (probably my fav episode)

Last edited:

DKehoe

I think it's the entire season 5! They shot it all earlier this year. Another 6 episodes. Same thing happened last year when "Crocodile" appeared on late December leaked Netflix schedules as the first scheduled episode of season 4. It's an entirely new season to usher in the New Year.

Oh weird, I thought season 4 came out more recently than December last year. But I guess that lines up with when the new season is due.

This article has some speculation on what the Bandersnatch episode could be about.

Nymphae

Banned
I read that there might be an episode that is a sequel of sorts to the "pig" episode. The opening of that episode drew me in immediately and I knew this series was something special.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Will be looking out for that special episode that [will be] real in some part of society at the release date (read: China social credit system).

mekes

Page is up on Netflix. It probably is the interactive episode as it has over 5 hours of content in total.

Here’s some info on the episode

Black Mirror” Season 5 might not be debuting on Netflix before the end of 2018, but it’s become increasingly clear that “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” probably will, and it’s most likely happening on December 28. What is “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch”? A Netflix social media leak at the beginning of December suggested it could be the first episode of Seasn 5, but a new report from The Independent (via Esquire) reveals it’s a “Black Mirror” movie, which would be the first of its kind.

While Netflix will not confirm “Bandersnatch,” Esquire made note that an online Netflix page already exists for the title and labels it a “Netflix film.” Any Netflix subscriber can search for “Bandersnatch” on the streaming platform and be directed to this landing page, which confirms it’s not an episode but a film (see photo below). The leak at the start of the month said “Bandersnatch” would drop December 28, which lines up with the end-of-the-year release of “Black Mirror” Season 4 in 2017. The landing page does not confirm December 28 but it does say 2018.

The latest reported details on “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” are the most clear-cut yet. The movie’s alleged official plot description reads: “A young programmer makes a fantasy novel into a game. Soon, reality and virtual world are mixed and start to create confusion.” That “Bandersnatch” would be set in the world of video games lines up with recent fan theories, as “Bandersnatch” was the name of a video game listed in the Season 3 episode “Playtest,” directed by Dan Trachtenberg and starring Wyatt Russell. Additionally, “Bandersnatch” was a video game developed in real life by Imagine Software in 1984, but it was never released to the public.

In addition to the plot description, The Independent reports “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” is directed by David Slade and stars “Dunkirk” breakout Fionn Whitehead in the lead role. Slade is already a member of the “Black Mirror” franchise, having directed the Season 4 episode “Metalhead.” Slade’s film credits include “Hard Candy” and “30 Days of Nights,” and he has also directed episodes of “Breaking Bad,” “Hannibal,” and “American Gods.”

The most interesting new detail is that “Bandersnatch” reportedly has 312 minutes of footage, which is over five hours. A huge number like that would be ridiculously long for a feature film, but it would make sense given reports that “Black Mirror” is planning a choose-your-own adventure storyline. News first broke on an interactive “Black Mirror” episode in October, and the 312 minute “Bandersnatch” runtime suggests it’s a choose-your-own-adventure movie.

As previously noted, Netflix has not confirmed these details, nor have they released any concrete information about “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” outside of its official online landing page. Expect every “Black Mirror” fan to be waiting in front of the television December 28.

If I'm being honest, I'm more excited for the new season of Black Mirror than I am for Christmas. I just wish that Netflix would be more forthcoming with information about the new season; I need to plan my life around it accordingly.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Should be cool but I was generally pretty disappointed by the last season, compared to the earlier ones.

Corrik

Can someone give me a non-spoiler synopsis of what this show is about so I can decide if I would be interested in it?

Yes please, inject this straight into my eyeballs!

HorribleGoodnaturedIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

Papa

Banned
Can someone give me a non-spoiler synopsis of what this show is about so I can decide if I would be interested in it?

Standalone sci fi episodes that are kinda like mini movies. Just really high quality and original storylines. You should know whether or not it’s for you after the first episode.

Actually id say after the second episode of Season 1. The first epizode is the most mainstream compared to every other one, the closest to reality so I wasn't sure after watching it. But from second episode i got hooked. Also if someone isnt feeling the first season, skip to season 3 to see if that works for you because its more US oriented, clearly has a different vibe and I loved the retro episodes.

Either way amazing show and cant wait.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Standalone sci fi episodes that are kinda like mini movies. Just really high quality and original storylines. You should know whether or not it’s for you after the first episode.

just to add to that, because they are not connected, you can watch any episode as your first episode. Each episode deals with a societal impact of technology - VR, AR, social media, pricacy, drones... horror scenarios of what could happen.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Bring me my fucked up nightmares, my body is ready.

bitbydeath

The early seasons aren’t as good as the latter IMO. Netflix picked it up during season two so the quality takes a massive jump from three onwards.

tumblr_p1r8bozw4g1ve0mxgo1_400.gif

Weiji

Banned
Couldn’t disagree with this thread more. Last two seasons have basically had a single good episode a piece.

Quality has trended down hard.

Still going to give the new season a shot of course, would probably take a few seasons with nothing good for me to completely give up on the series.

*Edit: I’m wrong, I mixed up seasons 2-3.

Season 1: 2 good episodes
Season 2: 2 good episodes
Season 3: 4 good episodes (wow)
Season 4: 1 good episode

Last edited:
It's happening.

Edit:

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.
"In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a sprawling fantasy novel into a video game and soon faces a mind-mangling challenge. Welcome back. "

Last edited:
just to add to that, because they are not connected, you can watch any episode as your first episode. Each episode deals with a societal impact of technology - VR, AR, social media, pricacy, drones... horror scenarios of what could happen.

I like how we're already living in a nightmare scenario of technology's societal impact in real life.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The early seasons aren’t as good as the latter IMO. Netflix picked it up during season two so the quality takes a massive jump from three onwards.

tumblr_p1r8bozw4g1ve0mxgo1_400.gif

Higher quality production no doubt and a budget to do things they previously couldn't, but the writing and acting is still excellent in the original series. Put it this way, I'd not skip them.

Weiji

Banned
Which one?

I like 4 episodes from seaon 4.
Especially USS Callister and Hang the DJ
But also ArkAngel and Crocodile were pretty decent.

Callister was the only one I liked. And Frankly I thought it was excellent execution of a pretty derivative idea.

ArkAngel was super derivative and unoriginal, as well as predictable. (*Edit -Decent execution)

Metalhead was like a low quality Netflix sci-fi movie but shorter.

Hang the DJ was like a mediocre Twilight zone episode.

Crocodile was an interesting idea, but the execution was lacking.

Black Museum was a fucking clip episode. Literally filling a quota, and exactly the type of crap that made me hate cable.

Last edited:
You should know whether or not it’s for you after the first episode.
I dropped it after watching the first 2 episodes, because almost everyone said the above, and I really wasn't feeling it. But something made me go back there last month, and I loved the 3rd episode.
Kinda liked season 2's 1st episode, loved the 2nd, and the 3rd was kinda meh... haven't gone back since, will do eventually. It's a hit & miss series for me, but when they hit, they do it big.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't see how it's possible a human being DOESN'T like Hang the DJ episode.

...Not long to go now GAF:

Hang the DJ was an amazing episode. I still prefer Fifteen Million Merits over it though:

Never Forget. R.I.P. in peace Abi.

Only the Silent Hill 2 track Theme of Laura is more haunting to me now.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I still prefer Fifteen Million Merits over it though:

Never Forget. R.I.P. in peace Abi.

Only the Silent Hill 2 track Theme of Laura is more haunting to me now.

Well that's gonna be stuck in my head all day now.. I'd finally gotten rid of it FFS.

Chiggs

If Bandersnatch is the future, count me right out of it.

I could not fucking believe there was an option to insert Netflix into the story. It was so cringeworthy.

bitbydeath

If Bandersnatch is the future, count me right out of it.

I could not fucking believe there was an option to insert Netflix into the story. It was so cringeworthy.

There’s a few kids shows on Netflix that let you do the choose your own adventure thing too.

Minecraft was one I believe.

Weiji

Banned

Obviously with a show trying so many new things opinions will deviate a lot. I think there was plenty to like in that episode, specifically with the execution and the acting, so I’m glad people enjoyed it.

Unfortunately for me it felt... boring. It played well within my expectations, so I was looking to the end for something to justify or at least clarify the system they depicted. I wasn’t pleased with the ending. That episode provided basically zero concrete answers.

The lack of answers and open ended nature of the twist is probably why I compare it with the Twilight zone.

Edit* just re-watched the ending. Forgot the Tinder bit, which is concrete. But I guess my problem is that it’s not satisfying, it’s like the it was all a dream ending.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Black Museum was a fucking clip episode. Literally filling a quota, and exactly the type of crap that made me hate cable.

Do you know what a clip episode is?

Those were 3 original stories, the pain doctor one apparently was written by Penn Jillete like 30 years ago. That was a great episode man, just because it contained 3 stories does not make it a clip episode.

Geki-D

Banned
Really not a fan of the series. The quality of each episode is all over the place. A few are good 1 or 2 are really amazing and the rest tend to be pretty lame and boring. I honestly think that sometimes Netflix (or whoever) gets scripts for stand alone sci-fi movies and throws them into a season with slight modifications because they know that they couldn't stand out without the Black Mirror name.

Also the fact that they've tried tell us these episodes all actually happen in a canon universe is utterly stupid. It's clear the vast majority of them are made without any consideration of other episodes. Some of the worlds we're shown are in stark contrast to others and require olympic levels of mental gymnastics to believe they're in one world at different parts of a single timeline. Some do have a common thread, some are actually written and directed by the same teams as other episodes but not all of them.

The Black Museum episode? Nothing but fan service and as it's already been said, the pain doctor one was apparently an unused script written 30 years ago. Like my assumption that Netflix get's scripts and offloads them into Black Mirror, that episode was an excuse to offload 3 shorter ones. I expect the next season to also have a multi short story episode, to lighten the black Mirror desk at Netflix at bit more.

Top Bottom