• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

Neiteio

OK, in the BioShock demo thread it was recommended by the mod I ask my question here. I'm using the Asus G74SX-BBK7, I downloaded the BioShock demo off Steam, and despite my system playing Amnesia with all settings on High without any issues, the BioShock demo won't even get past the black screen after I exit the desktop upon boot-up; instead I have to ctrl+alt+delete and then force-quit the non-responding demo via task manager. I'm downloading the 280.26 driver at NVidia's site to see if it will help; it's what was recommended when I searched new drivers for the GTX560 graphics card. But the feature list doesn't seem to mention any compatability increases with BioShock... Just seems to add 3D to existing games. Any ideas in the meanwhile?

EDIT: When I tried running the driver it said it could not find a compatible graphics card...?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Neiteio said:
OK, in the BioShock demo thread it was recommended by the mod I ask my question here. I'm using the Asus G74SX-BBK7, I downloaded the BioShock demo off Steam, and despite my system playing Amnesia with all settings on High without any issues, the BioShock demo won't even get past the black screen after I exit the desktop upon boot-up; instead I have to ctrl+alt+delete and then force-quit the non-responding demo via task manager. I'm downloading the 280.26 driver at NVidia's site to see if it will help; it's what was recommended when I searched new drivers for the GTX560 graphics card. But the feature list doesn't seem to mention any compatability increases with BioShock... Just seems to add 3D to existing games. Any ideas in the meanwhile?

EDIT: When I tried running the driver it said it could not find a compatible graphics card...?

I'm guessing you downloaded the drivers for the 500 series (desktop) as opposed to the 500M series (laptop/notebook). Try this driver suite instead.

Neiteio

OK, I tried those drivers and no luck -- the BioShock demo still won't boot up. To describe the symptoms further, when I ctrl+alt+delete out of the black screen and go to task manager, everything is in a lower resolution until I force-quit the game. You know, like big fuzzy icons and such. Why can't I play the BioShock demo? System Labs says this computer can run Crysis on highest settings without any problems. Shouldn't it be able to boot up the BioShock demo? :-\

Just read bioshock rapture by John Shirley, a good book, instantly recommended for bioshock fans. Some observations (no spoilers).

-The story revolves mostly around the engineer Bill McDonagh, and it is a great story, the ending is heartwarming.

-The more I read the book, the more and more I disliked Ryan, he was a plain selfish, deluded and incredibly stubborn person.

-Fontaine himself was fleshed out very nicely, his backstory being very interesting, the ultimate con man if you will.

-Minor characters (if not most) from the games were introduced very well, they didn't seem shoehorned in, it was nice to able to spot and instantly recognise these lesser characters and their voice recordings.

-Purely from a book perceptive, rapture could have been described in much better detail. However, the bias here is that my mind was tainted to the architecture by playing the game beforehand of course.

-Cohen is a maniac!

-The book grazes some uncomfortable issues such as gay rights (in that timeline) and pedophilia.

-The pacing is actually quite good but there are a few grammatical errors to be found but overall, a very interesting read!

Top Bottom