• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big patches dropping for Diablo IV and Starfield this month. Which game will have the best redemption arc?

Which game stands to have the biggest improvement?

• Starfield

Votes: 82 45.8%
  • Diablo IV

Votes: 97 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiteGr

Nether... Duh!?

Starfield is fundamentally Brocken by design. You can't change a game designed in the wrong engine without remaking it from scratch. The could add improvements and futures, but can't fix the majority stuff. Modders seems to have abandoned it as well, so you can't expect from them to do the work.
To make some things clear, the engine by it self isn't bad. Not many engines can create infinite solid items in the world and remember where they are. It's just not for THIS game.

As for Diablo 4. The franchise shouldn't exist in this day and age at that form. Diablo 2 was popular because at the time we didn't have anything close to an MMO. It was essentially a single player game buffed with online futures to create an MMO style community.
Today MMOs exist, so it has to try a lot harder to convince us to choose it over other online games. The only thing they seem to have added is freemium mechanics.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Exploration absolutely sucks. Loading screens + just lost time to do absolutely nothing

In this for example at the 18:15 mark (obnoxious "this is funny!" sound) he takes 3 1/2 to 4 minutes to get to a fracking station to find... nothing of value and 3 enemies you've already seen plenty of times. Absolutely nothing of value in between that time and the payoff is crap.

That's my #1 complaint with Starfield. You waste so much time running around for next to no reward. A land vehicle will help this, but holy crap is this painful to play like this. At least in an MMO you have the social aspect when you're pointlessly wandering from point A to B. This is a single player RPG so you're just wasting your time.

Using Creation Engine for a randomly generated massive sandbox was probably the worst decision Bethesda ever made.

Creation Engine is fantastic for open world sandboxes that are hand crafted, it's completely ass for randomly generated content, whomever.

The only way Starfield could be fixed is if they somehow managed to make thousand of explorable assets that could be generated, and that would be impossible with the Creation Engine.

Last edited:

Inuteu

Starfield has a lot more potential. It is reminiscent of No Man's Sky. It really isn't a bad game, but it didn't hit the way Bethesda said it would. With updates and patches it can be improved. Ultimately,
I hope they fix the navigation system in starfield cause is awful

jcorb

Having tried their newest patch, I feel pretty confident in saying that Diablo 4 is beyond salvaging.

Everything about this game is poorly designed. The visual design is lackluster, a rare miss for Blizzard in the art department, the itemization itself is as boring as staring at an excel sheet all day, and I think their decision to pursue a Battle Pass monetization model -- on top of already pushing a cash-shop -- just isn't working out. Doesn't help that the Battle Pass also awards materials, so it blurs the line of being "pay to win" (assuming anyone is even still fighting that fight anymore).

But I think I've just realized, Diablo 4 simply has a terrible *foundation*. The world should have never been static, nor should it have been one giant world where everything bleeds together. The fact that they included mounts was an immediate red-flag, which just goes to show that they *intentionally designed* the world to be so spread out, and monsters so pointless to stop and kill, that they want you just speeding from one waypoint to a specific destination.

Really, a game like this should only have one singular hub (or a few simply for visual disparity), and make it easy to drop in and get to the action. The idea of having this large, spread-out world serves no purpose if there is no reason to actually experience any of it.

It was poorly designed from inception, and I think it would take a miracle to salvage anything at this point.

Codeblew

Having tried their newest patch, I feel pretty confident in saying that Diablo 4 is beyond salvaging.

Everything about this game is poorly designed. The visual design is lackluster, a rare miss for Blizzard in the art department, the itemization itself is as boring as staring at an excel sheet all day, and I think their decision to pursue a Battle Pass monetization model -- on top of already pushing a cash-shop -- just isn't working out. Doesn't help that the Battle Pass also awards materials, so it blurs the line of being "pay to win" (assuming anyone is even still fighting that fight anymore).

But I think I've just realized, Diablo 4 simply has a terrible *foundation*. The world should have never been static, nor should it have been one giant world where everything bleeds together. The fact that they included mounts was an immediate red-flag, which just goes to show that they *intentionally designed* the world to be so spread out, and monsters so pointless to stop and kill, that they want you just speeding from one waypoint to a specific destination.

Really, a game like this should only have one singular hub (or a few simply for visual disparity), and make it easy to drop in and get to the action. The idea of having this large, spread-out world serves no purpose if there is no reason to actually experience any of it.

It was poorly designed from inception, and I think it would take a miracle to salvage anything at this point.
I disagree this new Diablo 4 patch fixes most of my issues I had in prior seasons. They got rid of 95% of the worthless loot and item affixes and added some actual end game content in the Pit. Not to mention Helltides are fun as hell now. Have you even got to Tier IV to make such a uninformed opinion?

Hudo

Neither

Diablo 4 is a live service trying to make money off whales

Starfield is handicapped by an improper engine
This is the truth.

And I tell you something else: Neither of these games deserve a redemption arc. They should fail so that Bethesda and Blizzard have a fucking reason to maybe reflect on why their recent efforts have been mediocre to shit.

Top Bottom