• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BG3 Director: You will have always have a bit of crunch

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/games/rp...ou-will-always-have-a-little-bit-of-overtime/

Another problem was that the programming team was "lying through their teeth," Vincke added, saying that if a programmer asks you for "500 days" to get something right, they basically have no idea what they're doing. But the best approach to this was apparently just to "leave them alone," the Baldur's Gate 3 director also revealed. No pressure, then.

"We didn't overly crunch," Vincke says, "but we did have to do a bit of crunch. And I think, to be honest, you will always have a little bit when you're trying to finish something, especially when there's so much complexity that needs to be brought together."

TrippleA345

At the end of software development, there may be crunch, regardless of the games industry, which is acceptable as long as there is a balance afterwards.
But the best approach to this was apparently just to "leave them alone," the Baldur's Gate 3 director also revealed. No pressure, then.
I completely agree, just leave them alone (here is youre task, do it, thats it), software developers will deliver the results satisfactorily for all sides.

edit: at least my experience

Last edited:
Just sounds like a doctor telling you that ______ is going to hurt a little bit... Which usually means is going to hurt a lot.

I'm not a developer or director, so I won't say anything beyond that.
I will just say from my "normie" perspective that I would rather a game be delayed then any crunch be involved.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Just sounds like a doctor telling you that ______ is going to hurt a little bit... Which usually means is going to hurt a lot.

I'm not a developer or director, so I won't say anything beyond that.
I will just say from my "normie" perspective that I would rather a game be delayed then any crunch be involved.
As a normie I don’t care. I don’t on t think anything that was said wasn’t reasonable on the behalf of Larian. Of course, I grew up on a farm so I have a different perspective about work sometimes.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Limited paid overtime is fine, especially right up against a deadline. The problem is 60-80 work weeks for months on end. That burns people out. This goes for all industries naturally.

SJRB

Gold Member
Let's not pretend crunch and overtime is something that happens in videogames exclusively.

Yeah it sucks but sometimes shit needs to get done.

The real problems arise when crunch gets normalized and people work 50+ hours for weeks with no end in sight. That shit is outrageous.

Mister Wolf

Crunch happens in every industry at various times. Don't like it, find a new job.

For some reason though gamers pretend to be outraged about it and act like it doesn't exist anywhere else. Then they go off and buy the games they're so outraged about "Crunch" over. Lame.

Yup, especially in construction. I'm currently working 60 hours a week.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Crunch happens in every industry at various times. Don't like it, find a new job.
This 100%. I remember doing 70+ hours in a week to finish a project more than once. Once with a colleague we worked from 8 a.m until midnight (that day was horrible) just to finish an anechoic chamber.
Now that's not something I would do every week, and we were properly paid yet I can't help but think some of these devs are a bunch of snowflakes, sitting on a chair when other people work their asses off no matter the weather, far from the comfort of a chair.

Edit: and on topic, congrats to Larian for delivering the best RPG in years. It was probably a hard task and they nailed it. Those sacrifices paid off!

Last edited:

Doom85

Yup, especially in construction. I'm currently working 60 hours a week.

Do those extra hours go into your paycheck though? I’m sure it varies by developer, but I remember hearing some developers being pressured into doing a ton of crunch and receiving little to no increase in their wages for that period of time. That is unacceptable, and just reeks of being taken advantage of. Even if they love their jobs, these people are here to make a living, not to do volunteer work.

MiguelItUp

It's true, and this is what I've always said. So many people were attempting to dog pile studios online when they found out that they crunched. The thing is, majority of the studios crunch, it's a known thing that's been included in game dev workflow for decades. How it's handled is the kicker. But it exists in SO many industries, it's nothing unheard of.

For some reason though gamers pretend to be outraged about it and act like it doesn't exist anywhere else. Then they go off and buy the games they're so outraged about "Crunch" over. Lame.
100%

The game studios I've worked for have all crunched to some degree. But the people crunching are there doing it because the love the studio, they're passionate about games, etc. If some people can't do it, they leave, that's it. No one is made to stand there against their will. Not to mention they did everything they could to soften the load for us, especially at the time.

One of those studios a fresh graduate joined QA and thought she could just "change" the entire company's workflow because she didn't agree with crunch. Because she wanted to be there, but didn't want to be a part of that. Made a huge stink, and ended up leaving the studio as a result right before she was going to be terminated, lol. I know it sounds silly, but really, if you don't like it don't do it. Do something that makes you happy and you excel at. Just because you enjoy something doesn't always mean you'll enjoy making that something.

Mister Wolf

Do those extra hours go into your paycheck though? I’m sure it varies by developer, but I remember hearing some developers being pressured into doing a ton of crunch and receiving little to no increase in their wages for that period of time. That is unacceptable, and just reeks of being taken advantage of. Even if they love their jobs, these people are here to make a living, not to do volunteer work.

20hrs of that is 1.5 my hourly rate.

Last edited:

sendit

Most corporate jobs are salaried. Its both a benefit and a negative (not gonna list them, ask chat-gpt). There are weeks where a individual can work 10 hours, get everything that is needed to be done and relax throughout the rest of the week while receiving the same pay.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think hustle and greatness sometimes require more time. I me er mind crunch when necessary. I've had that the last 2 weeks myself.

If you're going to be mad at guys like Neil Druckman, then you have to be mad at the Larian director too. You cant create these AAA games that other devs look up without asking people to go above and beyond. These games take talent, time and effort. Rockstar devs are probably crunching right now for GTAVI, but they know its going to be worth it.

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Last edited:
Top Bottom