• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Metroid or Donkey Kong, what do you think Retro would work on for Switch?

oti

Banned
Metroid. I loved DKCR and TF and I've never played a Metroid game but I'd prefer a new FPS Metroid game. Something different for a change.

EVH

It's probably From Software.

I would love to know how you guys reached to this conclusion. If we get Other M 2 I'm going to be pissed and honestly, don't see how From Software fits with Metroid better than Team Ninja.

By the way, I'm convinced that a good multiplayer mode could fit in a Metroid Prime perfectly. Let's say the plot starts like some other games in the saga with a team of the Galactic Federation being decimated by some weird alien stuff or just Space Pirates. Make that the multiplayer. As a prologue to the actual story game. Change even the mechanics and make it a more traditional FPS to show the different way of fighting and pace in battles between an army and a bounty hunter. Hell, you could even create special missions like the operation modes in Call of Duty with the Feds and Pirates. So many posibilities that Nintendo would not even care.

Instro

I don't care what it is really, as long as it's more ambitious than what they've been working on lately. It's been nearly a decade since we've had anything from them that is not a sidescroller.

Joei

I think they'd make an exceptional 2D Metroid game. Personally, I'd like for that to happen since I couldn't really get into their Donkey games (though I understand and respect the praise they've gotten). Plus, who doesn't want a new 2D Metroid game??

As an aside, I think Retro would make a fantastic Mega Man, from what I played of the Donkey games. Their ability to create awesome environments would work for the MM games.

Metroid. It's been almost 10 years since the last MP, and there aren't exactly a ton of games in that mold being made right now. I love their DKC games, but Nintendo can fill that void with plenty of other platformers. They are not, however, filling the Metroid void.

Z3M0G

If Nintendo or Retro had any sense at all, they would be going all-in on a full blown Metroid title right now.

Federation Force should have proven to them that the thirst is real... NOT that it is a dead franchise.

ChaosXVI

DKC2 Returns: Diddy's New Kong-Quest.

Whatever gets me new David Wise music!

Honestly I'd love to see David Wise's take on a Metroid soundtrack, as DKC2 is still his best work in my opinion, and a lot of those tracks are moody as hell.

To clarify though...I really doubt they are making a new Metroid, at least right now. They could have one on the backburner maybe.

The Boat

I would love to know how you guys reached to this conclusion. If we get Other M 2 I'm going to be pissed and honestly, don't see how From Software fits with Metroid better than Team Ninja.
Souls are basically Metroid level design wise as well as story telling and ambience. It's a perfect fit actually.

Sponge

Banned
Nintendo once compared Retro to Rare back when they bought them. If that's the case they really need a second development team. I definitely feel we should be getting both DK and Metroid from them.

Metroid. I loved DKCR and TF and I've never played a Metroid game but I'd prefer a new FPS Metroid game. Something different for a change.
Don't you find it intersting that Retro has accumulated a lot of experience and expertize in different styles of games and genres? In 3D games, like the first Metroid Prime Specially and in 2D games, with 2 of the most high quality platformers ever created.

So what this means basically, is that Retro studios has now all the tools and know how to make an actual 3D Metroid game that can retain the feel of the series greatest hour: Super Metroid.

If not an actual Metroid game, then an original action/adventure IP with most of the series mechanics and systems at least.

ChaosXVI

Nintendo once compared Retro to Rare back when they bought them. If that's the case they really need a second development team. I definitely feel we should be getting both DK and Metroid from them.

I couldn't agree more with this...and they've been teasing this as a possibility for like 5 years now. I really don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. It feels like such a no brainer.

DONKEY KONG: Dread

donkey-kong-jungle-beat-image668919.jpg

EVH

Souls are basically Metroid level design wise as well as story telling and ambience. It's a perfect fit actually.

I honestly don't see this match aside of the interconected world and long time of elevators. In addition, would not expect the main director of DS, DS3 and BB to be in charge of it, so that makes it even worse.

The Prime subsaga is THE way to do a Metroid to me.

Retro's been doing such top-tier work for so long now, why have they never been expanded to work on 2 titles at a time? Nintendo's claimed that they're going to put resources into game development for, oh, I don't know, 20 years, to keep their future systems from having gaps in the release schedule (ha!). And Retro was originally going to work on 3 titles. But the other 2 were scrapped so they could focus on Metroid Prime (definitely the right call). I would think, though, that the plan would be for them to eventually produce more than 1 title every 3 years. Apparently not.

So, my answer: why can't we have both?

yesrushdt

By the time Switch comes out, it will be close to 10 years since the last Retro developed Metroid title was released (not counting Trilogy). A new FPA Metroid Prime would be the perfect title to show off the power of Switch.

PSqueak

Banned
I hope it's DK just because the petty, pissy metroid fans in this forum has soured the whole topic for me, they can go cry in a corner without a new metroid as a punishment for all the DK, Retro and Rare thread they shat on.

A new 3D DK or Metroid would be more than fine. A new 2D DK is kind of unacceptable
a bit exaggerated but really, don't make another one for a couple years
Character swapping via the D-pad would make DK64 work especially a game designed around it. (As Dunkey said)
It would also showcase the system better
Yeah, so...um WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?
A Nintendo EAD designed DK villain from the best DK game

bman94

I say Metroid, it seems like Federation Force was a spin off made to keep the Metroid franchise in people's minds. That being said, I don't expect a new Metroid game until 2018 at the earliest as I feel that it would be a great Holiday 2018 title since Nintendo's other biggest titles (Smash, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda) would have already been released leaving a lot of attention for a large scale Metroid release and marketing.

Rambler

A From Software Metroid would be fucking sick if it were Armored Core From and not Dark Souls From..

I want to see the same artistic vision that Retro set out with in original Metroid Prime trilogy in a new HD entry. I don't think there is another game or series that has really captured what they managed to do with the dense atmosphere and isolation. There is room for a new Metroid in the gaming spectrum and it fulfills a deficiency in Nintendo's lineup.

MoonFrog

I want Metroid but frankly no one overseeing that series currently gives a fuck about what made Metroid games good in the past. I'll be extremely hesitant to get hyped for any Metroid reveal. We're more likely to get another flavor of Federation Force or Other M than of Metroid Prime or Super Metroid. Metroid is not in good hands and no, the galaxy is not at peace :p.

pvpness

I would love a 2D, classic style Metroid from Retro. I assume they're making another Donkey Kong that seems near identical to the other two.

A 3D Donkey Kong Country done right or a 2D sequel to Super Metroid would be fantastic and I'd totally trust Retro with.

I would love a 2D, classic style Metroid from Retro. I assume they're making another Donkey Kong that seems near identical to the other two.
Another game identical to one of the best platformers ever made would still be appreciated.

MarkusRJR

I'd much prefer a 3D Metroid game or a new IP.

I really hope it isn't DKC or a 2D Metroid game. There's so many good indie 2D platformers and MetroidVanias out there that I feel like it's a bit of a waste. Whatever they make will likely be awesome (even if they do another DKC or a 2D Metroid), but I'd prefer to play something new or something I don't play constantly already.

DMONKUMA

Metroid. We don't need another Donkey Kong and we need to get that rejectt Federation Force out of our minds.

khaaan

Prefer something new but out of the options I would want a 3rd person Metroid or 3D Platformer Donkey Kong over a first person Metroid or another Donkey Kong Country.

Top Bottom