• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Metroid or Donkey Kong, what do you think Retro would work on for Switch?

Yep they did say this.

2D Metroid should be developed by someone right now. Idk who though. I would've liked for it to be one of the indie developers. Maybe the Shovel Knight guys?

Get the am2r person a team and let them have at it. Not that that would ever happen. (And I seem to think they said they didn't want to, though I might be misremembering).

nkarafo

I'd like a Metroid Prime 4 as well. The series looked amazing with 6th gen tech. I wonder how would it look with more modern hardware. It would also be a more authentic Metroid experience for sure, Retro would not want to pull off another OtherM.

Tropical Freeze is my favourite DK game, and I'm sure they'd do a decent job if they were to give it another stab, but I can't help but be disappointed if that were the case. I dislike the Kongs as characters, and would prefer they pursued any other franchise. Would probably take a port of Federation Force over more DK.

tebunker

Banned
I am going to first say that I don't agree with your assessment. Like others have posited the conclusion you are drawing isn't exactly that clear or concise.

They can be working on anything.

Honestly I don't want either game. There. I said it. We don't need another Metroid. Really we don't. Please tell me what new space is being explored in that genre or what hasn't been mined to death? Do you just want a more refined Prime experience? Or a 2d Metroid game? Either way, Tabata, I think I have that name right, explicitly stated that there wasn't another Metroid in development. Obviously he could be lying.

Then let's look at DKC, same question, what more can be done beyond what was in DKCR and TF? Like I feel that Retro has done all they need to do with these games.

So what does that leave? Well there are possibilities of new IP, which it is entirely possible that Nintendo gives them some berth there. Also possible they have made something in another existing IP. A lot of Retro left to form Armature, so I am not entirely sure what kind of game I'd like to see.

However I wouldn't be against an action adventure title or a 3rd person action game ala Bayonetta. Really I am trying to think what kinds of gaps exist in Nintendo's line up and I think they need something akin to Uncharted or sports/racing.

So I guess my answer is that I'd like to see some thing that expands Nintendo's library offering in to an area that hasn't been explored in a while or has never been done by them. I mean why aren't we asking for a Retro developed follow up to Eternal Darkness or something similar?

I've long maintained its Prime. Without it there is a glaring hole in Nintendo's library, namely an FPS. In theory if Metroid Prime 4 is released and a robust deathmatch / on -line component is involved it could be a killer app for Nintendo.

I think if I had to choose, I'd prefer they work on Metroid. Although I'd lament the lack of Donkey Kong.

I don't really care too much either way. Everything Retro touches seems to turn to gold.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I just need Metroid Prime 4 with a huge, interesting map to traverse, and graphical upgrades that the Switch can handle. That's all. It's not rocket surgery.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd be happy with either one. But Metroid would make the bigger splash and I really want the Switch to be super successful so I'll go with Metroid.

Sizzel

What do people want? Metroid.
What is safe? Dankey Kang
What will Nintendo do? Make the most disappointing choice.. possibly one you didn;t even know was an option. so-

A Retro studios social knitting simulator. You knit items at home (download the Yoshi patterns!) and bring your switch into the wild to trade, gift and show off your knitted goods. Other switch users can kit out their Miis( if those are still a thing) with your hats and gloves or simply just take your knitted mario pattern blanket home and bury their digital face in it while they cry themselves to sleep wishing Nintendo was great again.

I'd take either... but I do really want a follow up to Returns and Tropical Freeze. Both are some of my favourite games of all time.

Tropical Freeze is my favourite DK game, and I'm sure they'd do a decent job if they were to give it another stab, but I can't help but be disappointed if that were the case. I dislike the Kongs as characters, and would prefer they pursued any other franchise. Would probably take a port of Federation Force over more DK.

You monster.

KaneU

I honestly don't think that another DK game after TF is necessary, especially not from Retro. Whatever they are working on, I just hope that it's an ambitious 3D adventure game. I will be more than fine with another Metroid Prime from them.

kunonabi

I'd take DK over Metroid. Thier Metroid titles just got worse and worse and I really don't want another one from them.

Banned
They're working on neither according to Emily.

But I would prefer metroid since we haven't gotten one from them since 2007.

ChaosXVI

I'd prefer a new Metroid Prime above anything else, but I'd be almost just as happy with a 3rd DKC game, or a 3D DK game if they wanted to change it up. Tropical Freeze is my favorite Wii U game by far, but Prime 1 (and the Trilogy overall) is my favorite game of all time...so I win either way really.

Honestly, whatever Retro puts out, I'm there Day 1. They're the best of the best at what they do.

They're working on neither according to Emily.

But I would prefer metroid since we haven't gotten one from them since 2007.

Read the OP man.

He's working under the (questionable, in my opinion) assumption that Emily Rogers' report is incorrect, meaning they are working on one of those two IPs.

Beefwheat

Metroid. The answer is always Metroid. It's like Betteridge's Law, but for NeoGAF threads. "What should Retro do--" Metroid.
"What would you like to see--" Metroid!
"Latest trailer for Avenge--" METROID.

(That said, it's probably not going to happen, but I just can't seem to process my grief and move on the way I did with Half-Life 3)

Charamiwa

Banned
In order of excitement:

1) 3D Donkey Kong
2) 3D Metroid
3) 2D Metroid
4) 2D Donkey Kong

I think after Tropical Freeze they can move on from that formula, the game was almost perfect. I would love to see them make the jump to 3D, but that's assuming someone else would work on Metroid. Because I want a new Metroid game either way.

Dremark

Banned
Donkey Kong for sure. Retro's Metroid games aren't "real Metroid" games by the arbitrary and self contradictory criteria I use to judge them anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Donkey Kong just to make it a trilogy.

I'd also buy a rerelease of the trilogy if it came out. Fortunately DKCR was never too locked to the gimmick controls and everything could be remapped if it needs to.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Metroid. Every year that passes post-Other M the franchise crawls closer to death, we need a new Prime so we can lay the ghost of that game to rest and move on. If it means waiting a few years for a new IP from Retro, then so be it. Metroid needs to be rescued.

Pastry

Banned
I think it'll likely be a Metroid prime game. Nintendo seems to be trying to branch out as far as demographics go and I think Metroid is a good IP to use in that effort.

Sendou

Wouldn't mind another fucking Donkey Kong. Looking at the rumors 2D platformer is one genre it doesn't have. Then again nobody makes games like Metroid Prime ever so that would work too.

goldenpp72

Metroid between the two, just to get the big graphical showcase out. I personally hope they do not return to the first person style if they do this though, there must be a better way to tackle a big Metroid title.

I'd be content with a third DK title in the 2d line or a 3d one too though, or a new ip, whatever really.

Retro made 3 Metroid games in a row then 2 DKC games and people say "mur too many DKC games make Metroid again" ????

I'd rather a new ip be it original or a take on another Nintendo series.

If people want Donkey Kong, they can get a Tropical Freeze port.

It's time for Metroid. 2D or 3D, I don't care as long as it follows the basics of Metroid and focuses on Samus.

EVH

No, it's not. Everyone has tried to find out what Retro is doing and there's been almost no progress, but I feel pretty confident that they're not doing Metroid.

Fucking shit, then. Still that sounds like there is a Metroid in the works but its simply not developed by Retro.

woopWOOP

I'll take the gorilla shouting BANANAAAA SLAMMA
Both 2D and 3D sounds cool, as long as they keep the collectibles sensible.

Metroid... eh, maybe a 2D one. If it's another FPS one then I'm out

I recall "DK Vine" claiming that David Wise told them he was working on a secret Nintendo project. If this is actually true, another Donkey Kong game would make sense. 3D Mario + a DKC later in the year to kick in the platforming goodness. Give NSMB a rest.

Top Bottom