• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Softworks responds to the Mick Gordon drama: "We reject the distortion of the truth and selective presentation of incomplete "facts.""

Barakov

Bethesda always seems to handle these situations in the worst possible way. Things like this should be handled behind the scenes but Videogame publishers/developers always seem to want to make things like this as public as possible.

What is really impressive is that Bethesda always seems to find a way to make themselves to look even more shady with each little incident.

PhaseJump

Banned
shredder-tmnt.gif

gothmog

Gold Member
No matter if Mick is being dramatic or not, he seems pretty consistent: He is interested in setting but does not want to be blamed for the situation. The reddit post is really kinda shitty across the board and shows that there is some dirty shit going on. I know I would have been immediately fired if I aired dirty laundry like that no matter how important I was to the company.

Except one side had the receipts to back it up. And the damaged that was caused went far beyond personal pride and hurt his professional reputation.

Bethesda really looks bad here.
Yeah, most likely Bethesda is trying to swept shit under the rug. Regardless of who's fault it is, this is very embarrassing, take it to the fucking courts.

Kacho

Wow, it really took a lot of hard work to sway your unbiased opinion but it sure paid off for them. Dude, lol.
I’m honestly suprised they responded at all. Aren’t you? Figured they’d let Mick have the last word.

Regardless, sounds like Bethesda and id are prepared to battle this with actual receipts and it won’t be pretty. It’s a shame the juicy stuff won’t be made public but that’s to be expected.

demigod

Wow what a bad look on Bethesda. They should’ve fired their guys for theft, not play victim. Why isn’t their good guy parent company MS stepping in to resolve this issue instead of hashing it out like a petulant child on social media?

Kacho

Imagine taking pride in the fact that someone's earning potential is now tarnished over an issue that, truthfully, you know nothing about other than what both sides have stated.
When in doubt go with your gut and my gut tells me that Micky boy is a nightmare to deal with.

Now whether that’s always been the case is up for debate, but I suspect he developed a massive ego after the success of the Doom 2016 soundtrack and this drama is the result of that.

Keep in mind, Marty is respected and has been in the business for over two decades. There’s been no notable drama until now and not a single person other than Mick has spoken up about him being a bad guy or difficult to work with. That speaks for itself IMO. Mick as absolutely the problem here.

Last edited:
Thing is, Mick didn't blame anyone at iD software but Marty.

I like how the same company moaning about Mick stating something online, didn't slap the shit out of their employee for shitting all over him on reddit.

Tools.
Totally, they’re acting like Gordon’s statement wasn’t a measured and direct response to their own employee’s public statement, something which is so inappropriate in itself, but they apparently continue to support.

kiphalfton

Whoa they are doubling down what a surprise, shit management.

People who are wrong pretty much always double down, probably because they're so convinced they're right.

What's sad is even though they're so far up their asshole, they still can't see they're full of shit.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When in doubt go with your gut and my gut tells me that Micky boy is a nightmare to deal with.

Now whether that’s always been the case is up for debate, but I suspect he developed a massive ego after the success of the Doom 2016 soundtrack and this drama is the result of that.

Keep in mind, Marty is respected and has been in the business for over two decades. There’s been no notable drama until now and not a single person other than Mick has spoken up about him being a bad guy or difficult to work with. That speaks for itself IMO. Mick as absolutely the problem here.
What "Micky boy" drama was there before the Marty reddit account? Other than your assumption about an overinflated ego based on.... Marty and Doom 2016's success as if it was his first game? There's 0 reason to believe one or the other but acting like Bethesda's take adds credibility is cringe...

Or is this somehow meant to quietly backpedal from "I fucking knew it!!!" as if they provided proof that confirmed what you previously suspected regarding this "Micky boy" as you call, to still merely being your opinion, assumptions and nothing more as implied by yourself with posts like that? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For fuck's sake, Bethesda. You're supposed to a) resolve it, or b) ignore it. Not throw gasoline on the fire.

Bethesda trashtalking Mick felt wrong from the start. Wrong and petty.

Did you actually read Marty's open letter? If you haven't I'd imagine you're thinking its some sort of brutal character assassination piece, but it really isn't!
I ask you, is this really a hatchet-job?

Last edited:

Kacho

So what "Micky boy" drama was there before the Marty reddit account? Other than your assumption about an overinflated ego based on.... Marty's accusations he responded to? There's really 0 reason to believe one or the other but acting like Bethesda's take adds credibility in any way is dumb 🤦‍♂️
You have look back at how this drama started. Mick, on his own accord, went to Twitter to crap all over the soundtrack and state that he likely wouldn’t work with id again. As far as career seppuku goes I’d say that’s up there.

In Mick’s blog he states that he said all this privately which is obviously false. Here it is:

Marty highlighted that comment I made, in private, in response to someone asking if I wished to continue working with id Software.

What a fucking liar, lmao. Posting this on Twitter for the whole world to see is not private. Give me a break.

Anyway, as the story gained traction, this prompted Marty to set the record straight which I think is totally fair. I don’t doubt that Mick had legitimate grievances, it’s just the way he approached it from the start that was idiotic. He brought this on himself.

I know I’m in the minority here. The court of public opinion has made their voice heard and I’m just going against the grain.

Did you actually read Marty's open letter? If you haven't I'd imagine you're thinking its some sort of brutal character assassination piece, but it really isn't!
I ask you, is this really a hatchet-job?
Yeah it was widely reported as blaming Gordon for the soundtrack’s lack of quality, which it does, and completely throws him under the bus for the whole situation. Can you think of any other similar situation ever occurring in game dev where a higher up published an open letter blaming an individual for a product’s failure? I don’t know why you’re still trying to push this Marty’s letter was actually complimentary narrative.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where did I say there was evidence? It is he said she said on both sides, I’m just firmly with #TeamMarty on this one for reasons I detailed above.
So confirmation bias without proof. Got it

I'm team no one until they put up or shut up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the comments here would be vastly different if this exact series of events was transpiring with Insomniac or Naughty Dog

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah it was widely reported as blaming Gordon for the soundtrack’s lack of quality, which it does, and completely throws him under the bus for the whole situation. Can you think of any other similar situation ever occurring in game dev where a higher up published an open letter blaming an individual for a product’s failure? I don’t know why you’re still trying to push this Marty’s letter was actually complimentary narrative.

Its one of the least abrasive "creative differences" letters I've ever read.

The main sentiment however is to stop people blaming Chad for everything, when as Marty points out he; "had simply stepped up to the request." i.e. did what he was told to do as a studio employee.

You're so sure it was Marty and not Mick?
They used music that they explicitly didn’t pay for per the contract. Mick provided some receipts. A PR statement is not receipts. This is not a 50/50 scenario in the public eye, yet Marty is the one who explicitly made this a public pissing match.

Last edited:
Its one of the least abrasive "creative differences" letters I've ever read.

The main sentiment however is to stop people blaming Chad for everything, when as Marty points out he; "had simply stepped up to the request." i.e. did what he was told to do as a studio employee.
You must be dreaming, what context are you reading these creative differences letters? Certainly they aren’t posted on reddit by people representing big video game developers? It’s not proper to blame the other party if you’re just claiming creative differences, the phrase implies there was no fault just incompatibility. If the goal was to defend Chad, Marty didn’t need to blame Mick. Even if what he said was true it would still be highly unprofessional, you never throw your partners under the bus.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Why does every video game have to have some sort of controversy these days? TLOU 2 stans vs "haters", Voice actors that lie about their pay, companies lying about music, everything is woke/sexist/racist/misogynist/incels/virgins/devs that are openly bigoted (like Manveer Heir hating white people), crunch time/no mans sky type launches, console wars (which is made worse by companies buying other companies thus making games exclusive (Bethesda and others), and the list goes on.

Too much bullshit lately.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I badly need a tldr of the whole situation.

Read the linked public letter in my post #80, and see if it comes across as justification for such a kerfuffle. (It's not).

Slow news week and a lot of bored people just wanting to play pick-a-side.

Kacho

I badly need a tldr of the whole situation.
- During the development of Doom Eternal Mick Gordon and id producer Marty had a personal/creative clash
- Deadlines on the Doom Eternal soundtrack were missed repeatedly and Mick blames this on a contract dispute
- Mick goes to Twitter to air his dirty laundry
- Marty goes to Reddit and responds (people turn on Mick)
- Micks career implodes and he goes silent for two years
- Last week Mick posts a novel detailing his side of the story (people turn on Marty/id/Bethesda)
- Bethesda responds today rejecting his claims

Top Bottom