• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Softworks responds to the Mick Gordon drama: "We reject the distortion of the truth and selective presentation of incomplete "facts.""

I hope Mick learns from O’Donnell to keep quiet and play his cards right. Well payed lawyers are sleazy and they’ll fine any technicality to grab victory. I think that post shows that Mick is right, because what id is saying there is not what I read from Mick’s The Medium essay. That Marty dude from id is a narcissist.

MiguelItUp

Wild how Mick took the time to put so much together, only to have Bethesda's response be, "Nah."

Yeah, this doesn't make me budge at all. Surely Mick knows what he's doing. Even if Bethesda claims to have "proof", I'm sure Mick knows exactly what that "proof" may be. I almost want him to take them to court, and win. In the end, I think Marty/id fucked up, and that's that. If he didn't go and do that reddit post, I'm sure things could've been in a better place than they currently are.

Last edited:
For all the reasons they stated.
Calling for people to be calm, to not wildly hate, the presentation of incomplete facts taken as holy gospel truth, and the general support for iD Software, who are some of the most talented people in the industry.
But a higher-up employee of theirs did the opposite of that, going on reddit with accusations.

Then they clearly strung the other person on, without shutting the door for two years now and even offering hush money.

My question is, are you aware of all that? For what we know now, it's clearly a slam dunk for most people, this said, these things can change providing we have more information. So I was trying to understand if you had prior experience of being/dealing with a situation like this or if you had your intuition pointing other way.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Hahahaha.... typical BR bullshit bubble.

If they had anything to show, they would've done so.
They sure had more than enough time to scrounge up the "complete" facts.

In fact, they could've done so from the very beginning - and instead chose to lie publicly.

It's gonna be fun to see how they'll try to wiggle themselves out of this.

Side note:
I looooooove the hypocrisy. "Oh no, we've received harassment as a consequence of Mick's actions!"
You mean, like he did after your actions? Karma's a bitch.

Still sucks that people go after Chad, I think that dude just landed smack in the middle of it without really doing anything wrong (as far as I know).

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Not Funny Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Drizzlehell

Banned
Utterly pathetic and limp-dick response. If they were more willing to resolve the situation amicably, and without protecting Stratton's fragile ego, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Although in case this needs to be said - and it probably does - don't fucking harass anyone over this. This is not helping anyone.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What is fucked up and needs to be discussed more is that someone is doing work but is only payed for minutes of music actually used. Wtf kind of slave tactic is that?

Pay people by the hour. He is developing the music as much as an programmer is developing the game itself.

It's funny what they come out with and accuse Mick off is really describing Marty's previous post on it.

Ultimately extra music was stolen and used in a substandard fashion. It seems both parties needed more time to produce something better. Mick understandably needs a more complete game to make the music for.

Lol. The highschool he/she said drama..... don't even know who to believe. Quite pathetic, these people have so much money too and they can't just agree on something and shut up?
when egos are big enough money doesn't matter regardless of how rich they are. this whole issue has been dragged on for so long I don't think people even still play Doom 2 years after it was released.

Digfox

This is one of those stories I've not been paying attention to until now. However having just spent some time reading up on everything I can't help but think iD/Bethesda have ballsed up badly here. I'm sure there is blame on either side and there was immense stress working on this project.

However I can't help but feel the original statement 2-years ago crossed a line and there was something very unprofessional about it. And now following on from Mick Gordon's new information there are some serious questions raised. What makes it worse is Bethesda's new statement asking for no toxicity or action against anyone after that original open-letter on reddit will have helped encourage the very thing they are asking people not to now do!

I feel Bethesda should issue a formal apology to Mick Gordon (for that reddit post alone, but it could arguably go further), pay what it owes for the work completed and correctly credit the relevant audio tracks to Mick Gordon. And then offer to work with him in the future, if he even chooses to do so.

Of course I appreciate it's unlikely any of the above happens, but I feel that would be the 'right' thing to do.

peronmls

Oh shit!
I fucking knew it!!!

I never doubted this for a moment. Mick Gordon's career is absolutely toast. Any company considering to work with him will reach out to Bethesda for the full details and it won't be pretty.

Enjoy working on indies, Micky boy.
Lol knew what? Mick is the only person with details and receipts. Did you know that?

Filben

Sometimes I find myself asking whether those people live in a bubble or is it me, by not following this shit and not having a clue what is this about. Didn't understand the thread title and of course you'll see a Twitter post in it.

Who the fuck is Mick Gordon? Why should we give a fuck, where did he post his shit? Social media I guess? Why is this still relevant and people are responding to that?

Am I out of touch? Headlines like these really make me doubt. I think I'm glad of my ignorance on that matter, however.

Kacho

Oh shit!

Lol knew what? Mick is the only person with details and receipts. Did you know that?
I've made my point through multiple posts in the thread already. Go read those.

I am aware that people keep parroting the "receipts" line and treating Mick's blog like it's gospel. There's a lot more to the story here and unfortunately we will never have the full truth. By the time ids next banger drops it won't even matter.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean bass player?
Nah, in rock bands drummers were always the one's they joked about, and are the most "hired guns" (temps for tours) since it's the position in bands that are revolving doors.

Now Metallica with Newsted, sure, but on average it's usually the drummer.

Last edited:
I've made my point through multiple posts in the thread already. Go read those.

I am aware that people keep parroting the "receipts" line and treating Mick's blog like it's gospel. There's a lot more to the story here and unfortunately we will never have the full truth. By the time ids next banger drops it won't even matter.
Yeah you sure did, instead of paying any attention to those pesky receipts people keep going on about you’ve stated you’re gonna go with your gut feeling that “mickey boy” is a pain in the ass to work with. Real strong stance there, and it has the benefit of being impervious to evidence!

Boss Man

“When you told the truth about what happened, people became angry. This is an unjust incitement of violence and harassment.”

I know nothing about this story but I already know who’s right.

Last edited:

Kacho

Yeah you sure did, instead of paying any attention to those pesky receipts people keep going on about you’ve stated you’re gonna go with your gut feeling that “mickey boy” is a pain in the ass to work with. Real strong stance there, and it has the benefit of being impervious to evidence!
Don't forget about the metadata! Something something aged like milk. Reminds me - I should probably hit up r/doom again and see how things are going over there. :messenger_fearful:

Griffon

If anyone wants a precedent of how toxic and full of shit Bethesda/new-id is, look no further than what happened to Prey 2.

It's not surprising that they're pulling the same sort of shit on external contractors like Mick.

Don't forget about the metadata! Something something aged like milk. Reminds me - I should probably hit up r/doom again and see how things are going over there. :messenger_fearful:
Were you implying some evidence surfaced that contradicts Mick’s claims about the metadata? Would love to see it, totally open to following the evidence where it leads.

geary

Oh shit!

Do you think that a corporation will be let by their legal department to come with details and “receipta”on social media? What do you think is this? Highschool? Dick mesurement contest? Raging on social media is for attention whores. If those ‘receiptas’ of Mick are strong enough should have sued them and end all if this. Then come to Twitter/Reddit and say that you sue ID and wait for a resolve. But we need to be a drama queen in front of public opinion cause now this is all that matters.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Do you think that a corporation will be let by their legal department to come with details and “receipta”on social media? What do you think is this? Highschool? Dick mesurement contest? Raging on social media is for attention whores. If those ‘receiptas’ of Mick are strong enough should have sued them and end all if this. Then come to Twitter/Reddit and say that you sue ID and wait for a resolve. But we need to be a drama queen in front of public opinion cause now this is all that matters.

“Raging on social media” is exactly what Bethesda did first. That pathetic Reddit post by Marty started all of this.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What do you think is this? Highschool? Dick mesurement contest? Raging on social media is for attention whores.
And yet this is what they did?
But we need to be a drama queen in front of public opinion cause now this is all that matters.
Kinda missing the part Mick's post was in response to something else?

Last edited:

Kacho

If those ‘receiptas’ of Mick are strong enough should have sued them and end all if this.
Deep down everyone knows this. He’s been reduced to trolling id on Twitter because he has the mob on his side and nothing more. With this stunt save his career? That is the big question.

As someone who did contract\consultation work for a little while I can attest that not all employers have good direction and are good clients, his complaints seem fair (you learn to spot those who will try to get free work and unnecessary reviews out of you after a while). Big clients are not immune to this, sometimes they are worse.

There is a place where I was hired to help a team, the director that hired me for this 150million contract had no specific task for me, anyway he was let go a few weeks later, then it took a little while to replace him. Long story short after a while the new guy comes to review my place in the team (in the mean time I kept myself busy helping other teams)... So we meet, I explain the situation plainly and a few minutes later my contract was terminated.

Different problem, but this goes to say that even these corporations often have no sense of themselves, project managers, etc. don't know what they do or want, etc. This is not even surprising.

ahtlas7

Wow! I’d be afraid to work for that ass hole, shit company. What next? Employee evaluations posted to Reddit?

Was it Bethesda as a whole or a Bethesda employee? Is it an official response by Bethesda?
I believe it would be most accurate to say the instigating act was the publishing of an open letter by an Id employee, which has been supported behind the scenes by Bethesda through their refusal to order it being taken down when it was brought to their attention, citing Marty’s hurt feelings. So they have supported and continue to support Marty’s letter, just not openly. That being the case, it still comes across as very hypocritical.

Top Bottom