• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bestill my heart, Sony needs to make more arcade style games

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Let's analyze arcadey style Sony games shall we. Warhawk, Twisted Metal, old school GOW, Returnal, Wipeout, Drive Club, MotorStorm.

These are some of the best games ever.

Make more of them.

51RjmdON1TL._AC_.jpg

chris-farley-shades.gif

nial

Gold Member
Only bona fide hit in your list is GOW.

They should hire indie studios to work on their less popular IP and make it multi platform to negate risk.

For example Supergiant Games can basically use the Hades engine to make a cheap reskin retro GOW game. So people can play on the Switch and iPhone. ditto.
I don't think they'd make it for Switch, but mobile and PC sure.

Raonak

Banned
Motorstorm was amazing. Wish that apocalypse was more popular, it was so fun.
Wipeout too.

Returnal is a recent AAA arcadey game.

GOW wasn't arcadey at all. It was a standard story based character action game. Besides the camera angle, it's basically just a more linear version of modern GOW with less dialog and more watered down combat.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony is running the safe way with minimal risk.

They do what they are good at, and focus 100 percent on that.

Nothing wrong with.

I wouldn’t mind seeing more simple, arcadey or even lower budget games from Sony as well, but now they only seemingly care about AAA, huge blockbusters that will sell millions. I mean, I feel they are becoming VERY risk averse, but it’s business I suppose.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
When you referred to "arcade-style" games from Sony, my thoughts were of fast-action score-chasing games like Super Stardust HD and Resogun.

I'd like to see more games like those. Even after so many years, they are still worth playing.
Super Stardust HD is a great game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Motorstorm was amazing. Wish that apocalypse was more popular, it was so fun.
Wipeout too.

Returnal is a recent AAA arcadey game.

GOW wasn't arcadey at all. It was a standard story based character action game. Besides the camera angle, it's basically just a more linear version of modern GOW with less dialog and watered down combat.
Watered down combat? Lol

Hobbygaming

I wouldn’t mind seeing more simple, arcadey or even lower budget games from Sony as well, but now they only seemingly care about AAA, huge blockbusters that will sell millions. I mean, I feel they are becoming VERY risk averse, but it’s business I suppose.
I'm so sick of y'all saying this while games like Sackboy, Dreams, Matterfall, Concrete Genie, Anno Mutationem, etc don't get bought or supported 😂

Sony makes these games to gauge interest sometimes, y'all do know this right? They have to be supported

I feel like I'm the only one who bought Sackboy lol

I'm so sick of y'all saying this while games like Sackboy, Dreams, Matterfall, Concrete Genie, Anno Mutationem, etc don't get bought or supported 😂

Sony makes these games to gauge interest sometimes, y'all do know this right? They have to be supported

I feel like I'm the only one who bought Sackboy lol
Good point. I actually do support niche and indie games, but yeah we’re probably in the minority unfortunately. I was saying that doesn’t really seem like the main focus for Sony now because their AAA games generally sell much better. When I said risk averse, I mean imo a lot of their games now seem to be more safe and almost even formulaic in a way especially compared to their output before. Again though, it’s business so I understand.

Raonak

Banned
Watered down combat? Lol
They were though. GOW 1-3 (Plus Ascension/CoO/GoS) although good for their time, had more simplified combat engines than both 2018 and Ragnarok. Don't know how you could argue otherwise. the offensive options was more limited, and it had a legitimately bad dodge mechanics which used surface collisions rather than iframes. I platinumed GOW3 btw, so I got very familiar with the frustrations of that combat engine, especially at higher difficulties.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

They were though. GOW 1-3 (Plus Ascension/CoO/GoS) although good for their time, had more simplified combat engines than both 2018 and Ragnarok. Don't know how you could argue otherwise. the offensive options was more limited, and it had a legitimately bad dodge mechanics which used surface collisions rather than iframes. I platinumed GOW3 btw, so I got very familiar with the frustrations of that combat engine, especially at higher difficulties.
I must've misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying that Ragnarok has watered down combat compared to the old games

Only bona fide hit in your list is GOW.

They should hire indie studios to work on their less popular IP and make it multi platform to negate risk.

For example Supergiant Games can basically use the Hades engine to make a cheap reskin retro GOW game. So people can play on the Switch and iPhone. ditto.
Less popular IPs and your example is Gow? Hmm, I'm not sure why should they bother at this point. It's not like they need switch and iphone to sell a Gow. They could create small teams inside studios if they were interested in lesser scale projects, they could build company culture and talent in house. I think they just don't care, now they are just too big.

Raonak

Banned
I actually like Sony's move to more story based games, but I think returnal shows you can combine a compelling narrative into an arcadey game to have the best of both worlds. Say what you will about their recent games, but they are definitely not lacking in the gameplay department.

I must've misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying that Ragnarok has watered down combat compared to the old games
Oh right, yeah I can see how my phrasing could get confusing

Last edited:

yurinka

I want new Wipeout and Motorstorm games. Warhawk and GoW aren't arcade games.

Last edited:

yurinka

I wouldnt mind seeing Sony invest in games similar to these...

But seems this gen they are much more interested in cinematic western games.
Astrobot, Gran Turismo, Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and the Chinese games they'll publish aren't cinematic western games. Same goes with 3rd party exclusives like Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Elysium, Ghostwire Tokyo, Nioh, Guilty Gear Strive, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and many other exclusives they had.

They still fund a ton of small games developed by third party indie teams and get them as (often timed or console) exclusives, including many from Japan and the rest of Asia, but now allowing these indies selfpublish these games, allowing the indies keep their IP and allowing the indies to publish the game elsewhere if they want later, or sometimes event at launch. Because it's a win/win situation for both the indie and Sony. In fact, Sony support more indie games now than before.

They need more rpgs. outside of demon souls its a bit light on first party rpgs.
Most of the best selling and best rated RPGs are in PlayStation, and a good chunk of them are even exclusive. PlayStation is the best selling platform for RPGs. They don't need more first party rpgs.

Last edited:
Instead of buying publishers and well established studios, they (Sony and MS) should spent some billions on a ton of small studios.
Some Metroidvania game, build a Housemarque and Quantic/Supermassive successor, LBP/Sackboy 2D without floaty controls, also Killzone, Resistance and Kratos 2D, Stardust/Geometry Wars... just a bunch of smaller games with credits not taking 20 minutes to run through. New LBP Karting/ Modnation. New arcade racers. Either new IPs or small games to existing IPs.
And more games like Erica too.
I understand the focus on cinematic games and GaaS and realize that they do a bunch of not super safe bet games too, but it could be more. Having fan favourite niche games is just great marketing and creates satisfied fans.

Rudius

I actually like Sony's move to more story based games, but I think returnal shows you can combine a compelling narrative into an arcadey game to have the best of both worlds. Say what you will about their recent games, but they are definitely not lacking in the gameplay department.

Oh right, yeah I can see how my phrasing could get confusing
As time passes I like Retunal more. I'm not a fan of dificulty, but it is rare to see a high quality title focus on gameplay first.

They need to go back to making and supporting Japanese games.
I definitely agree. This is what I’ve been saying for awhile. I know they are getting the timed exclusives from third parties and working with more Asian studios, so that’s a start. I would like to see some internal studios created from within developing projects with admirable budgets to see what materializes. I think it would be really interesting. I know Western games generally sell more which is one reason Sony prefers them, but Japanese games can sell millions as well.

Last edited:
I’ve been convinced that there are no real Sony fans on this board man.

Real Playstation fans know if anything needs to be made again it’s ESPN Extreme Games.

This was the best game ever produced on a Playstation console.

Last edited:
Sony first party use to defined by their artsy, offbeat nature. PS3 changed all that. They still did beautiful, weird artsy games on the side, but blockbusters became their main thing. Then came PS4 and 5, where they completely abandoned those. Gravity Rush 2 is the last gasp of that air, sadly.

Arcade games, nobody makes those except Nintendo anymore. We're so far removed from arcade culture.

Sony first party use to defined by their artsy, offbeat nature. PS3 changed all that. They still did beautiful, weird artsy games on the side, but blockbusters became their main thing. Then came PS4 and 5, where they completely abandoned those. Gravity Rush 2 is the last gasp of that air, sadly.

Arcade games, nobody makes those except Nintendo anymore. We're so far removed from arcade culture.
I would say TLOU in 2013 is where the shift from arcadey to boring cinematic style games happened.

nikos

Agreed. All of those games were a ton of fun. Way better than the narrative/cinematic garbage they've been putting out lately. I bought a PS5 for exclusives and have had almost no reason to turn it on since launch.

I would say TLOU in 2013 is where the shift from arcadey to boring cinematic style games happened.
All the Sony studios did seem to have taken TLOU as a template, even if I think Uncharted's success was the real push. Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain all aimed to be cinematic. God of War III too, was also very cinematic but it's excused because it was also very arcady and fun. Even third party exclusives were highly cinematic, like MGS4 being more movie than game. Yakuza as well, but like GoW it was also arcady and fun. The shift happened over time.

The problem here isn't really that Sony games have become cinematic, but as you said, boring. To me, they've become boring because they've become kinda of predictable. Every studio models their games after Naughty Dog. Even if the gameplay is different, there's a chasing after realism, mostly grounded combat, stealth, open world, padded side activities, cool looking but unchallenging traversal, skill tree, crafting, grieving mary sue protagonists, talkative NPCs, self serious story... Yeah compared to the variety we use to have it's rather dull no matter how polished they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom