• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Wired controller for PC?

drotahorror

Can't stand micro USB, so wireless PS4/XB1 with wire is out of the question, not to mention I already have a few of them. Until PS5 controller comes out with USB-C, I'd like to get something in the mean time. Any good exclusively wired controllers out there?

I was looking at

But seems like the quality is cheap and the sticks might suck?

What are some other ones to maybe check out? Definitely prefer X-input so I can play most games natively without 3rd party software.

daveonezero

Banned
8bitdo is not cheap and the sticks are great. I broke mine by stuffing it in a Switch case. They would have replaced it but with Covid and shipping It wasn't worth it for me. I was hoping to just replace the stick mechanism but it was a no go.

It was my fault but still the quality and customer service is awesome.

The 8bitdo is just very versatile. It works on almost anything and the software is pretty good the little I Used it.

Last edited:
PDP Afterglow Wired Xbox controller or the Hyperkin Duke Xbox controller. Both are wired USB controllers.

If you like the Afterglow brand, they're popular.

The Hyperkin Duke controller is the replica of the original Xbox controller.

Both doesn't require any 3rd party add-ons.

I_D

Can't stand micro USB, so wireless PS4/XB1 with wire is out of the question, not to mention I already have a few of them. Until PS5 controller comes out with USB-C, I'd like to get something in the mean time. Any good exclusively wired controllers out there?

I was looking at

But seems like the quality is cheap and the sticks might suck?

What are some other ones to maybe check out? Definitely prefer X-input so I can play most games natively without 3rd party software.

I have the exact same controller. I haven't used it a million times, so I can't comment on the longevity of it, but it feels great after a few plays.
The wireless one also automatically connects to a Switch, which is a nice touch.

My favorite wired PC controller overall, though, is still the Xbox 360 Controller.

And I have to give a shoutout to the AmazonBasics Xbox 360 controller. I got four of them for $15 each. Considering the price, I honestly can't name a better bang:buck controller.

drotahorror

Xbox 360 wired (isn't detachable Micro USB) could be what you're looking for

I didn't look super hard but finding first party 360 controllers didn't seem very plausible, atleast not in the normal spots (amazon, bestbuy, walmart).

PDP Afterglow Wired Xbox controller or the Hyperkin Duke Xbox controller. Both are wired USB controllers.

If you like the Afterglow brand, they're popular.

The Hyperkin Duke controller is the replica of the original Xbox controller.

Both doesn't require any 3rd party add-ons.

Are 3rd party XB1 controllers actually good? I haven't bought a 3rd party controller since maybe the NES or genesis days.

H4ze

Still using a wired 360 controller on my PC, even tho I have two xbone controllers lying around. Works like a charm.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
xbox one controller. for modern games.

old 16 bit games? 2d games fighters etc etc?

hori fighting commander ps4 version. (ps3 and pc)

don't get the elite v2 it's ASS

Last edited:

drotahorror

What's the problem with micro USB? My XO controller is USB wired. I have no issues.

Seems like after about 6m-1y, the cable gets loose and doesn't sit well in the micro USB slot of the controller. I'm usually pretty gentle with controllers, but any sort of stress on the cable will eventually cause issues from my experience. I mean, I'm using a DS4 with the micro USB on my PC, but I'm sort of wanting this one for a laptop in another room.

The situation isn't that bad. Looks like I've only bought a few of them (and 1 or 2 of them weren't even for controllers).

The one in my DS4 is definitely loose fitting but it's probably 2 or 3 years old at this point.

I've narrowed it down to a Logitech F310, 8bitdo SN30 Pro, or a Hori mini PS4 controller (not xinput, but w/e).

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you can find it in stock anywhere then the gamesir t4:

USB C, 4 back buttons, amazing d-pad, gyro, xinput so it's recognised as an Xbox controller out of the box. It also has great battery life if you want to use it wirelessly and feels great to use.

If you can find it in stick anywhere I honestly think it's the best PC controller you can get for the money at the moment. Love mine.

Last edited:
I didn't look super hard but finding first party 360 controllers didn't seem very plausible, atleast not in the normal spots (amazon, bestbuy, walmart).

Are 3rd party XB1 controllers actually good? I haven't bought a 3rd party controller since maybe the NES or genesis days.

My friends has the Afterglow version, the quality is decent for the price. You can check the reviews on websites if you're unsure.

I'm using Microsoft's Xbox controller Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 that can sync up 8 controllers, long wireless range, Gamechat, audio etc... It's the cheaper option if you already have an Xbox controller.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
DualShock4 + cable for normal nu-games and Hori Fighting Commander (this is wired only, no bt, go for the PS4 version which has xinput and dinput switches) for retro/fighting/nontwinstick games. Get over your hate for plug standards, lol.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC gamers play on PC because we're not forced to use any particular input method for any game. Play anything how you like.
While I think that’s good and makes sense but according to the narratives out there that’s incorrect, PC gamers tend to play with m/kB.

GHG

Gold Member
While I think that’s good and makes sense but according to the narratives out there that’s incorrect, PC gamers tend to play with m/kB.

I also tend to play with mouse and keyboard in most games that it's suitable for but if a game is better suited to a controller then I'll use that.

I also have a wheel and pedal set for racing games and a fight stick for fighting games.

PC gamers don't play for mouse and keyboard, it's just one of the many options available.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I also tend to play with mouse and keyboard in most games that it's suitable for but if a game is better suited to a controller then I'll use that.

I also have a wheel and pedal set for racing games and a fight stick for fighting games.

PC gamers don't play for mouse and keyboard, it's just one of the many options available.
Fighting stick and wheel is super hardcore.

waylo

Banned
Agreed in that I play on PC for the options. I use M&KB for most stuff, but if I'm playing a driving game or something, I'll use a controller. I'm not going to play Session or SkaterXL with a fuckin' keyboard lol.

GHG

Gold Member
Fighting stick and wheel is super hardcore.

It's really not lol. I'm not even hugely into fighting games (the only 2 series I'm into are Tekken and Soul Calibur), I'm very much a casual player but I love the arcade feeling my fight stick provides when I plop it on my desk.

Racing games I'm into but a wheel setup is pretty accessible for anyone who is interested in racing sims. If you are into them then it's pretty much a requirement. If not then good luck playing assetto corsa or iracing with a controller.

drotahorror

PC gamers tend to play PC for mouse/kb

I mean sure on games that require precision aiming with the mouse. Even games like Hotline Miami are great with KB/M, FPS, TPS, RTS, etc. Great for KB/M. I'm looking for a conroller to use with my laptop, for indie games like Children of Morta, various rogue-likes like Rogue Legacy, emulators (mostly 2D games). I use my wheel for racing games. I use my fightstick for fighting games. Honestly, I shouldn't have to explain myself. But it's a forum and we're just postin shit.

DualShock4 + cable for normal nu-games and Hori Fighting Commander (this is wired only, no bt, go for the PS4 version which has xinput and dinput switches) for retro/fighting/nontwinstick games. Get over your hate for plug standards, lol.

It's not a hate really. It's more about the shittiness of the plug and how they get loose over time. Also, I like convenience. If I want to use a DS4 on the laptop, I have to go get the cable, unravel it from my velcro ziptie I keep it wrapped in, plug it up. Then the same process to take it out. If I had a wired controller, I just wrap the cord around the controller and put it away. It's very easy. And bluetooth sucks, so I don't want to bother with wireless. I've tried XB1S controllers with the official wireless adapter (I've bought both iterations of it), and the controllers drop connection (Had an OG XB1 controller, then bought an XB1S controller, same problem, 3 different homes, 2 different routers, I don't know where the interference is coming from but it is).

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
PC gamers tend to play PC for mouse/kb

This is true 20 years ago maybe when all I played on PC was FPS and RTS, but today, if I couldn't play with anything else, my PC game library would be 90% smaller.

Most of my couch multiplayer games played with friends are done on PC, whether at my place or not.

I got my friend hooked on X-Morph defense last night. We had access to the Switch version, but downloaded it on PC for the better graphics. Which is the real reason people like the PC.

If we couldn't use a controller though, no chance.

Codes 208

Here’s an off-brand dupe of the 360 controller but as from ravaging a local pawnshop, it’ll be hard to find an authentic model. Which should be said that behind the xbox one controller, the wired 360 is an amazing second-best controller
tend to =/= absolute, plenty of pc gamers (myself included) prefer playing with a controller. People tend to play on nvidia builds but amd is still a decent alternative. People tend to build or buy gaming rigs but some people will buy a gaming laptop. People tend to play on windows 10 but some die hards refuse to upgrade from 7, its all about choice. So who cares who tends to prefer what? The OP certainly doest because thats not the basis of his question.

xbox one controller. for modern games.

old 16 bit games? 2d games fighters etc etc?

hori fighting commander ps4 version. (ps3 and pc)

don't get the elite v2 it's ASS

I just swap the default satellite dish d-pad for the 4 way cross one and it's good to go. I'm not playing fighting games or anything but I'd go a fightstick if that was the case anyway. I never have any issue with my Elite 2 and PC retro games e.g. pacman etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not a hate really. It's more about the shittiness of the plug and how they get loose over time. Also, I like convenience. If I want to use a DS4 on the laptop, I have to go get the cable, unravel it from my velcro ziptie I keep it wrapped in, plug it up. Then the same process to take it out. If I had a wired controller, I just wrap the cord around the controller and put it away.
So get a cable just for your controller and keep it with the controller same as if it was a wired one? I did have issue with some cables getting loose with use but I got one of those magnetic end ones so I keep it always attached on the DS4 even if I remove the cable (it also came with a micro and a usb c end to switch between which was neat). It hasn't had any issues a long while now.

Last edited:

drotahorror

So get a cable just for your controller and keep it with the controller same as if it was a wired one? I did have issue with some cables getting loose with use but I got one of those magnetic end ones so I keep it always attached on the DS4 even if I remove the cable (it also came with a micro and a usb c end to switch between which was neat). It hasn't had any issues a long while now.

Is this what you got? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RHVNFQ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks really interesting, thanks.
Logitech F310, if you want a PS4 like controller that is wired.

Looked at it and definitely would have bought it but it's not being shipped til mid June from amazon, and I don't want to wait, or pay more from someone else hah. Impatient af I guess. I'm thinking of scooping up a hori mini PS4 controller. I can just use DS4windows I guess.

Last edited:

slade

Looked at it and definitely would have bought it but it's not being shipped til mid June from amazon, and I don't want to wait, or pay more from someone else hah. Impatient af I guess. I'm thinking of scooping up a hori mini PS4 controller. I can just use DS4windows I guess.

If you're in the U.S, check the electronics section of your nearest Walmart. They might have it.

Silvawuff

I Steamlink PC games to my Samsung tv sometimes. I have a wired Xbox 360 plugged into my TV and it works pretty good...albeit the blinking light from it not having a driver can be annoying. It works really well as a PC controller and I've never had any compatibility issues ever.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just swap the default satellite dish d-pad for the 4 way cross one and it's good to go. I'm not playing fighting games or anything but I'd go a fightstick if that was the case anyway. I never have any issue with my Elite 2 and PC retro games e.g. pacman etc.
Go home you are drunk

Soodanim

The one in my DS4 is definitely loose fitting but it's probably 2 or 3 years old at this point.

I've narrowed it down to a Logitech F310, 8bitdo SN30 Pro, or a Hori mini PS4 controller (not xinput, but w/e).

My Anker USB cable died, and I haven't been able to use my DS4 since. It's a nightmare trying to find a quality product that is going to be durable, and I had better luck with my Anker cable that you seem to have had (multiple years of use) so maybe I just need to get an L shaped adapter so it doesn't die under its own weight (Fractal Define R4 case, vertical USB creates a bend).

Anyone have suggestions for a durable USB cable brand?

Top Bottom