• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Spy Movie of All-Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the mood to see a spy flick. A well shot, well acted, engaging, hypnotic thriller involving a spy/spies. Trouble is, I am completely oblivious to anything of quality regarding this sub-genre. In fact, a movie such as that may not even exist.

GAF Movie Elite, can you help me with some suggestions?

Looking for something maybe black&white and foreign (not a requirement, but a plus).

Coin Return

Loose Slot
austinpap2.jpg

James Bond is the furthest from the type of film I'm seeking right now. Not even close.

Hitchcock is definetly good. Keep 'em coming.

Chony

Naked Shuriken said:
A rather underrated spy movie, The Saint. It also had a great soundtrack

Too cheasy, but entertaining nonetheless.

Spy Game was suprisingly good.

Check out either of the Bournes.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Not technically a spy flick, but has a real spy-flick feel to it....have you seen The Conversation with Gene Hackman?

Oh yeah, Spy Game (Robert Redford and I think Brad Pitt) is a good recent one....I think. I was kind of tired when I saw it, but I remember enjoying it.

Another really good movie that has a spy/espionage feel to it but isn't technically a spy flick is The Spanish Prisoner, if you haven't seen it already. It has Steve Martin in it, which is kind of strange at first, but you get used to it.

impirius

A well shot, well acted, engaging, hypnotic thriller involving a spy/spies.
Well, it's not what I'd call a "spy movie" in the traditional sense, but Hitchcock's North by Northwest meets the criteria you listed.

FnordChan

8bit pegged the winner. While not a movie per se, for the absolute best spy film ever you'll want to see the John Le Carré adaptations Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979) and the follow-up Smiley's People (1982).

B00006A8T4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00007LV9M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alec Guiness stars at quiet, retired spymaster George Smiley who has to uncover a mole in the British intelligence service, in a battle of the minds with his archnemesis Karla. These BBC mini-series get my vote for the absolute best television ever made, period, and easily the best spy fiction ever adapted for the screen, small, silver, or otherwise. Each runs about five and a half hours of tense, intricate cold war drama with absolutely no Bond-esque antics whatsoever. Alec Guinness is impressive in damn near anything, but he's positively amazing as Smiley. Both series are readily available on DVD and are highly, highly recommended.

Speaking of spy television, also be sure to check out at least the first season of The Sandbaggers (1978-1980):

B00005N5RK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This 20 episode ITV series is another bit of gripping, realistic spy drama staring Roy Marsden as a complete and total bastard. If any of you have read the comic book Queen and Country, you'll recognize The Sandbaggers as it's direct inspiration. In any given 50 minute episode, at least 40 minutes are spent in offices researching, planning, and bickering between Marsden's character Neil Burnside and his staff and/or other governmental agencies. Or, as Burnside says in the first episode, "If you want James Bond, go to a library." The first season is astounding and features a clear storyarc to follow. The second season isn't quite as impressive (though still excellent) and the third, alas, a bit spotty. Don't let that stop you from checking out the first two box sets.

I also second the recommendation for The Conversation (which is easly Gene Hackman's finest moment and, quite possibly, Coppola's as well); it's not a spy film per se, but it does feature surveillance and paranoia as it's major themes. Astounding stuff. I'll also throw in a recommendation for Marathon Man (1976) (starring Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier), which has plenty of tension, more than a bit of paranoia, and some peripheral spy involvement. It also has a scene that will have you absolutely squirming in your chair. "Is it safe?"

FnordChan

I hopped on this thread figuring I would be the lone pusher of John LeCarre-- happily not so.

I also recommend the feature film "The Spy WHo Came in From the Cold." It's pretty much the original spy novel, and still the best, and the movie is an excellent adaptation with Richard Burton in the title. role. Great stuff. The George Smiley character plays a tiny part, also.

[Edit, scanning a little closer]

Oh, Notorious is also awesome, more of a spy melodrama than thriller, excellent nonetheless, and one of the best closing scenes in any movie. North by Northwest is gret fun, light, and pretty much the template for Bond movies. Differtent ends of the spectrum, both great.

And I also forgot Eye of the Needle. In this one, the spy is the bad guy. WWII era thriller starring Donald Sutherland.

FnordChan said:
8bit pegged the winner. While not a movie per se, for the absolute best spy film ever you'll want to see the John Le Carré adaptations Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1979) and the follow-up Smiley's People (1982).

B00006A8T4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00007LV9M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alec Guiness stars at quiet, retired spymaster George Smiley who has to uncover a mole in the British intelligence service, in a battle of the minds with his archnemesis Karla. These BBC mini-series get my vote for the absolute best television ever made, period, and easily the best spy fiction ever adapted for the screen, small, silver, or otherwise. Each runs about five and a half hours of tense, intricate cold war drama with absolutely no Bond-esque antics whatsoever. Alec Guinness is impressive in damn near anything, but he's positively amazing as Smiley. Both series are readily available on DVD and are highly, highly recommended.

Speaking of spy television, also be sure to check out at least the first season of The Sandbaggers (1978-1980):

B00005N5RK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This 20 episode ITV series is another bit of gripping, realistic spy drama staring Roy Marsden as a complete and total bastard. If any of you have read the comic book Queen and Country, you'll recognize The Sandbaggers as it's direct inspiration. In any given 50 minute episode, at least 40 minutes are spent in offices researching, planning, and bickering between Marsden's character Neil Burnside and his staff and/or other governmental agencies. Or, as Burnside says in the first episode, "If you want James Bond, go to a library." The first season is astounding and features a clear storyarc to follow. The second season isn't quite as impressive (though still excellent) and the third, alas, a bit spotty. Don't let that stop you from checking out the first two box sets.

I also second the recommendation for The Conversation (which is easly Gene Hackman's finest moment and, quite possibly, Coppola's as well); it's not a spy film per se, but it does feature surveillance and paranoia as it's major themes. Astounding stuff. I'll also throw in a recommendation for Marathon Man (1976) (starring Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier), which has plenty of tension, more than a bit of paranoia, and some peripheral spy involvement. It also has a scene that will have you absolutely squirming in your chair. "Is it safe?"

FnordChan

FUCKING AWESOME YES! I love Queen&Country. It was my fav comic series for over a year. Will get on those ASAP.

The Alec Guiness series sounds like a real winner too. Also going to check out Fritz Lang's Spies.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, looks like my cupboard is full. :)\

FnordChan

Re: The Sandbaggers

Sal Paradise Jr said:
FUCKING AWESOME YES! I love Queen&Country. It was my fav comic series for over a year. Will get on those ASAP.

If you loved Queen and Country then you're going to really, really love The Sandbaggers. Rucka acknowledges that it's the direct inspiration for Q&C; similar characters in similar roles, hell, occasionally the same plots pop up. It's great stuff. Deep Discount DVD has each volume for all of $32.80. However, a minor caveat: the US DVD release carries a warning that audio and video quality aren't quite up to par due to poor source material. This isn't anything deal breaking, mind you, but you aren't going to have incredibly crisp DVD quality. Don't let this stop you, but keep it in mind so you aren't going, "Hey, wait, this looks like dubbed VHS."

The Alec Guiness series sounds like a real winner too.

To be honest, as much as I love The Sandbaggers, Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People are far superior. They're just amazing. Be sure to at least check out Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; again, Deep Discount DVD comes to the rescue, with each set for a mere $36. It's worth mentioning that the DVD quality is top notch as well.

Also going to check out Fritz Lang's Spies.

So am I, along with M which I've been meaning to watch for years. I'm also going to finally get around to watching The Spy Who Came In From The Cold; thanks to Ignatz for the reminder.

Meanwhile, has anyone here seen MI-5/Spooks? I'm tempted to pick up and/or rent the first season, but I'd love to hear a few brief reviews first.

FnordChan

You won't be disappointed.

Heck, I may have to watch it again myself. I only have an old VHS copy, perhaps I'll spring for it on DVD.

SNEAKERS

GOD IN HIS HEAVEN YOU WANT TO SEE SNEAKERS

EDIT:

B00008OE4W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sneakers is more "espionage" than "spy" per se, but it's by far my favorite movie about people sitting around in offices being smart together and figuring things out. It's really funny, has an obscenely talented cast, has multiple great heist sequences, has my second favorite cameo in any movie ever, is not totally frou-frou in its treatment of characters and reality, and is the smartest movie Hollywood has ever made about the Internet and what it means, even though the film was released years before the "Internet" existed.

Sneakers is so good! How can I be the first person to recommend Sneakers!

FOR GOD'S SAKE, WHERE'S HITOKAGE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom