• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best LCD monitor for 360?

The Faceless Master said:
cool, thanks for the info.

my only *real* concern is input delay.

plus, i just haven't seen another monitor with all the inputs offered by the 2407.

I beleive the BenQ has most, if not all of them. I know it has an HDMI port though, which the 2407 does not. If your only real concern is input lag though, then you have nothing to worry about in the 2407. The 2407 has been photographed dead on with a crt set to 60Hz and in some cases was about a milisecond faster. It of course lags compared to a CRT when the crt refresh is set faster, but that's simply due to the refresh rate of the monitor and not any problem with the lcd.

In any cases, 24 inches sure is nice.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I beleive the BenQ has most, if not all of them. I know it has an HDMI port though, which the 2407 does not. If your only real concern is input lag though, then you have nothing to worry about in the 2407. The 2407 has been photographed dead on with a crt set to 60Hz and in some cases was about a milisecond faster. It of course lags compared to a CRT when the crt refresh is set faster, but that's simply due to the refresh rate of the monitor and not any problem with the lcd.

In any cases, 24 inches sure is nice.
well, Dell has the 2407WFP at 20% off and i ordered it today... $762.10 total shipped including tax

Gantz

Banned
If you have some extra cash get a Samsung 244t. It's beautiful. Don't buy a Dell.

2662-1.jpg

Dimmuxx said:
Buy a ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1, it's awesome..

Yeah I got this one specifically for 360 play. It looks pretty damn amazing. I am really loving the brigthness on it. I am also one of the lucky ones who isn't bothered by ghosting.

ok, wandering into this thread wasn't the best idea for me; i'm in a shitty mood, and feeling like buying something to cheer me up since i need a new monitor/tv anyhow. i'd kill for that olevia 37" hdtv, but i'm going to have to settle for a good monitor for now. so here are my dumb questions:

i have an old-ass G4 with a mitsubishi diamond plus 74SB monitor. not that i really know what the difference between DVI and VGA are in terms of what they look like, but i'm pretty sure i'm using VGA (and, er, probably have to be with this old monitor, right?).

i'm seriously considering this viewsonic 2025 everyone is raving about, and i don't mind buying a VGA cable for my 360, but will i be able to buy a DVI cable or converter or whatever for my G4 so i can have both plugged in at the same time and just switch between them? thanks in advance, videophiles.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nobody cares that most the units mentioned can't even display 16:9 material in the right aspect?

THE DUCK

well, they're PC monitors, so they're mostly 16:10 not 16:9

It's fine for pc gaming but the thread is for the 360.

though, some will display 16:9 material at the right ratio with small bars

But unfortunately most will not.

Sai

Gantz said:
If you have some extra cash get a Samsung 244t. It's beautiful. Don't buy a Dell.

2662-1.jpg
I've been hearing a lot about the 244t having input lag. Everything else is fantastic though.

Gantz

Banned
Sai said:
I've been hearing a lot about the 244t having input lag. Everything else is fantastic though.

I read about the lag too before buying, but I haven't experienced any at all.

Xristot

The viewsonic 2025 came in yesterday and I must say its looking fantastic. I can tke pics too if anyone needs to see. I recommend this one to anyone here.

Sai

Really?... When/where did you buy yours? Maybe there were a bunch of faulty 244t's during a certain period of production.

Sh0k

Xristot said:
The viewsonic 2025 came in yesterday and I must say its looking fantastic. I can tke pics too if anyone needs to see. I recommend this one to anyone here.

What is the best resolution setting for the XBOX 360 when using it whit the Viewsonic 2025 ? Does the 360 supports 1680 x 1050 ?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Xristot said:

Can you take some pics? Also, have you tried it with older systems like a PS2, and is there any lag or any response issues?

THE DUCK

Does the 2025 letterbox slightly to show a 16:9 image or stretch out the image to 16:10?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sh0k said:
What is the best resolution setting for the XBOX 360 when using it whit the Viewsonic 2025 ? Does the 360 supports 1680 x 1050 ?

Of course not.

Xristot

404Ender said:
Can you take some pics? Also, have you tried it with older systems like a PS2, and is there any lag or any response issues?

yeah, I tried it with my ps2 and gamecube. Looking great all around. I'll take some pics when I get back from work. I wish I were home now though :(

Anyway, there is absolutely no lag time, no ghosting and the colors look really vibrant. Not a single complaint.

As for the 16:10. I really didn't notice. everything just goes fullscreen. I played the lost planet demo, GRAW and some burnout. They all looked perfect and I didn't notice any stretching.

I must say that even though its not running at its native resolution, its not a problem because it still looks great.

so i ended up picking up the 2025 as well after reading the thread. it is indeed beautiful, but i want to make sure i'm getting the most out of it. what resolution do you guys have yours at? any specific brightness/color/contrast settings? it looks a tiny bit washed out, i like my colors vivid. also, i bought a dvi converter since my computer only has vga out so i can do vga for the 360 and vg-to-dvi for my g4, but it isn't working. i did buy a refurbed converter so i'm thinking that might be the culprit, is there any chance it's the actual dvi port?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The 2025 is a good monitor, but understand that it does not do any internal scaling. Stuff like aspect correction or 1:1 pixel display has to be done at the source.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
what did you use to hook up your PS2 and older systems to it? All it has is VGA and DVI inputs right...did you have to buy an adapter of some sort? Or does it have component inputs too?

rocksolidaudio said:
so i ended up picking up the 2025 as well after reading the thread. it is indeed beautiful, but i want to make sure i'm getting the most out of it. what resolution do you guys have yours at? any specific brightness/color/contrast settings? it looks a tiny bit washed out, i like my colors vivid. also, i bought a dvi converter since my computer only has vga out so i can do vga for the 360 and vg-to-dvi for my g4, but it isn't working. i did buy a refurbed converter so i'm thinking that might be the culprit, is there any chance it's the actual dvi port?

well, viewsonic can bite me. i went out today and bought a vga-to-dvi cable to make sure it wasn't the converter, and the dvi port still didn't get a signal whether i tried my 360 or my computer. viewsonic's answer for me? "that model has issues with the dvi port, and we can't troubleshoot and give you a workaround since you don't have vga AND dvi ports on your computer. i suggest you buy a different model.'

well, **** them for selling a model they know has problems. any other similar models to recommend that i can get instead from newegg? the VA2012wb looks almost identical. or am i just better off getting a vga splitter and living with a bunk dvi port?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Get a grfx card w/ DVI-out. It' pretty standard now and makes a tremendous difference in terms of image quality when dealing w/ fixed pixel displays such as LCD monitors.

well, the idea was to not spend any more money. i just want to swap this one out for something similar with a working DVI port. also, i have a g4, for the record.

Zabojnik

Hitokage said:
The 2025 is a good monitor, but understand that it does not do any internal scaling. Stuff like aspect correction or 1:1 pixel display has to be done at the source.

Ok, now I'm confused again. :) I was just about to say to myself "nice, 2025 is the way to go for xbox 360 / PC use" and now this. So this monitor doesn't have the "aspect ratio" option the Dell widescreen monitors seem to have? It will automatically stretch any image to full-screen? Jesus, after 6 months of HDTV researching I finally decided that I'll wait for december and buy myself a nice little widescreen monitor in the meantime ... only to find that the monitor situation is as chaotic as it is in the HDTV department.

What other 20" widescreen monitors would you guys recommend for x360? Before stumbling upon the Viewsonic 2025 I had my eyes on the NEC 20WGX2. Does this beast have the aspect ratio option? Anybody know?

well after a huge ordeal where UPS "lost"
stole
my monitor (it was supposed to be delivered on the 2nd but wasn't), several phonecalls to Dell, several phonecalls to UPS and alot of waiting, Dell came thru via FedEx overnight shipping with another 2407WFP today...

i was greatly pleased, and one of my best friends stopped by after work and we put it thru it's paces with Xbox via component... Soul Calibur II looks great in its totally baffling 4:3 720P mode... played SFA2 (FBAX) and MKII (MAT), we were pulling off whatever combos we remembered.... it's kind of funny how we remembered all the crazy combos and very few fatalaities... also good that we didn't notice any input lag while playing...

the Xbox 360 via VGA on this thing is insanely good... had to tweak around with the settings as the default is pretty dull... DOA4 looks even better than before... and the COD2 demo looks sweet... other than all the screen tearing, the Saint's Row demo was pretty kickass too... all this stuff didn't look near this good on my dinky 15" monitor...

IRC looks good too!!!

svenuce said:
Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

2407WFP_connector.jpg

Have one in the office, one at home on my desk.

Inputs for VGA, DVI, Component, S-vid, composite

1920x1200 Pixels

6ms response time.

Looks beautiful via component in for 360. I'll have to do an HDMI->DVI for the PS3s. :/

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

For the love of god get a VGA cable. Component looks "okay", but once you see VGA on the thing you'll never, ever go back. The difference is absolutely night and day.

Top Bottom