• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who went from LCD/LED monitors to OLED monitors, was the change worth it?

I had a 42 LG C2 for like a week and it was too big for me for sure especially for shooters. I tried all the tricks I could find like using 1440p windowed with pure black background and everything but it was still too big.

I want one of these 27" OLEDs, but I ended up getting the Cooler Master 27" Mini LED for free (ordered and cancelled but they still sent it to me without charging me) so I'm good with that for now.

Tokio Blues

Since 2018 I bought only OLED. It's really, a game changer.

On PC I have a Samsung OLED G8 34". It's by far the best monitor out there, I can't describe with words how amazing it is. It's day and night in terms of visual. Just like 30 to 120fps.

Last edited:

Wunray

Just got mine it's the lg 27 250hz monitor and when I booted up cp2077 at night......oled is the truth, watching some gdr videos on YouTube and I'm blown away. I have the incine so it's worth it, but if this something you have to really think hard about it's not worth it right now.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Alright, so my monitor has crapped on me. Really no real reason not to try this OLED goodness, plus, the Neo G8 and Alienware have dropped in price being $1100 in my area.

The LG Ultragear 45" also looks interesting but 45" is enormous and the 3440x1440 pixel density is low for a panel of such size. If it was 5120x1440 like the Neo G9, it'd have been way better.

I'll go get the new monitor tomorrow and report back.

Sleepwalker

Alright, so my monitor has crapped on me. Really no real reason not to try this OLED goodness, plus, the Neo G8 and Alienware have dropped in price being $1100 in my area.

The LG Ultragear 45" also looks interesting but 45" is enormous and the 3440x1440 pixel density is low for a panel of such size. If it was 5120x1440 like the Neo G9, it'd have been way better.

Got the alienware being delivered here tomorrow, cant wait. Got it for around $900 usd.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Once you get used to the 45" PPI you wont notice it especially in gaming.

The time I notice it the most is when I do go back to 4k I notice how sharp it looks but I sure love this 240 fps on OLED

If you are getting a display from Best Buy its almost worth buying the $49 plan to get the 60 day return period plus the $179 a year plan covers burn in if you go that route

Hoddi

I bought the Alienware a couple of weeks ago and I've been pretty happy with it. I think they use the same QD-OLED panel so you should be good either way.

I'd been dreading the upgrade since I already had a 27" 4k144 monitor and the loss in PPI is definitely visible. But the benefits outweigh that, in my opinion. At least in most games that I've played.

unclbenn

You are coping. I said a 4k OLED is essential for the full power and experience, and you're pretending its not. Its extremely weird. We aren't discussing whats best for your desk and whats in stock for you.
OLED is essential for the OLED experience...

Hudo

Has anyone made the switch from Mini LED to OLED? And if so, why? I am trying to decide between a Mini LED and an OLED for my next monitor.

I havent played on OLED TV / monitor (except my PSvita / samsung galaxy), but I'm assuming the difference in image quality would be massive compared to standard IPS LCD monitor because OLED is self-emissive display, so you get insane contrast and deep blacks. I have gigabyte 27MQP 165/170Hz 1440p nano-ips monitor and the image quality is very good compared to other cheap LCD monitors, but compared to something like my 42GT60 plasma TV the image quality is extremely bad. Every game looks FAR better and more immersive on my plasma TV, and even at 60fps I get MUCH sharper image despite the much lower resolution and the difference is even bigger in motion because I get extremely small motin blur on my plasma (like 5-10%) and massive (80%) motion blur on my LCD at 170Hz. I think LCD technology is great for web browsing and things like that but for games or films is just garbage. I will be playing on my plasma TV till I will buy some good OLED monitor in the future, because I dont want to give up immersion for 120Hz+ refreshrate and higher resolution on LCD. I hope my GT60 will last till then because it has way supperior image quality even compared to other plasma TVs (I also have VT30 and there's simply no comparison, the image is much dimmer, the colours and blacks arnt nearly as realistic, and there's allso massive difference in sharpness).

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Mini-LED for me, when a decent one with above 2000 dimming zones are available. Need to be able to work on it (static picture) for hours without the monitor failing on me. My current monitor has above 700 nits and I won't go lower than that either.

Quezacolt

i've been using a TV as monitor since 2016.
Had 2 LED tv's, and in 2021, i changed to a LG CX, and im never going back.
The day i went to the store to get mine, of all the tv's that had demos playing, the LG was the king, your eyes would move to it right away.

At this point, the only way for me to move away from OLED, is if MICRO-LED was already available, and if it's really as good as OLED, but without the drawbacks.

Yeah, I'm echoing what everyone else said. Bought a C9 back in 2019 and it still is crisp and bright as ever. And not a hint of burn in. C9 is when the pixel refresh really got better.

And my new 77" C2 is currently on its way to me 😍 I really can't see myself going back to LCD, though I do think the Qleds looked good. Haven't seen mini LED in person. But yeah, OLED all the way.

JeloSWE

I'm sitting on a 85" X95K Sony miniLED and it's amazing as a display, both for work in Windows but also movies and gaming. And the HDR is VERY good. OLED and LCD both can do HDR well, OLED is very good at small highlights, like start in a night sky but is terrible for impactful daylight scenes, and that's where a good minLED excel, but it still does a star field really well. Also there is ZERO concerns for burn-in. Also Game mode looks incredible, no dimming, accurate colors and great contrast with really good input lag for a TV. My TV can do 750 nit full screen, and that's often more than most OLEDs can do in their highlights. It maxes out at roughly 2000 nit. Yet I would like to own the Z9K that does close to 4000 nit. That would be amazing. Still what surprised me is that X95K, X953L and X95L can to BFI at 100 and 120hz without losing and brightness, this is really not the case with every LCD I've own, and OLEDs usually lose a lot of brightness but Sony's miniLEDs only lose about 50 nit which is crazy. Gaming at 120hz with BFI and HDR looks incredible.

I've been wanting to go QD-OLED but there are no 85" yet. We'll see what 2024 brings, and microLED is on the horizon as well. There are some prototypes shown as CES and they seem to be the holy grail, with 2000 nit, perfect blacks and no risk of burn-in AFAIK and amazing color coverage.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
For me mini led and oled are both the bees knees. I have a mini led ultra wide for my gaming monitor and an oled tv. My brother is the opposite. Both look great and each out does the other in something.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Has anyone made the switch from Mini LED to OLED? And if so, why? I am trying to decide between a Mini LED and an OLED for my next monitor.
I did it because it's extremely hard unless you're dropping 2K on a monitor to get enough zones that haloing isn't a problem. And at that point it's off the table, I'm not dropping that much on a monitor.

Hoddi

I havent played on OLED TV / monitor (except my PSvita / samsung galaxy), but I'm assuming the difference in image quality would be massive compared to standard IPS LCD monitor because OLED is self-emissive display, so you get insane contrast and deep blacks. I have gigabyte 27MQP 165/170Hz 1440p nano-ips monitor and the image quality is very good compared to other cheap LCD monitors, but compared to something like my 42GT60 plasma TV the image quality is extremely bad. Every game looks FAR better and more immersive on my plasma TV, and even at 60fps I get MUCH sharper image despite the much lower resolution and the difference is even bigger in motion because I get extremely small motin blur on my plasma (like 5-10%) and massive (80%) motion blur on my LCD at 170Hz. I think LCD technology is great for web browsing and things like that but for games or films is just garbage. I will be playing on my plasma TV till I will buy some good OLED monitor in the future, because I dont want to give up immersion for 120Hz+ refreshrate and higher resolution on LCD. I hope my GT60 will last till then because it has way supperior image quality even compared to other plasma TVs (I also have VT30 and there's simply no comparison, the image is much dimmer, the colours and blacks arnt nearly as realistic, and there's allso massive difference in sharpness).
The whole reason I bought an OLED monitor instead of TV is because I don't want to give up my plasma. It looks great at higher refresh rates but 60hz motion is just as bad as on LCD.

Schmendrick

For me mini led and oled are both the bees knees. I have a mini led ultra wide for my gaming monitor and an oled tv.
Same here.
I didn't want to switch back and forth between monitors for work and media consumption, and since OLED is still a big no-no for productive work with loads of static imagery Mini-LED seemed like the next best thing, Samsung Neo G9 in my case.

Minsc

Gold Member
I got a full 4k OLED display on a 14" laptop. The thing is fucking glorious. Running Dolby Vision / HDR through it is the most amazing crisp visuals I've seen, even better than my Samsung QLED (which also has 100% black blacks, but 4k on a 14" screen is way more packed than on a 65" one).

Granted I got it mainly for media consumption and some gaming, so I'm not at all worried about burn in. And when I do need to use any desktop mode stuff I just set it to power save which dims the screen a lot and further reduces burn in. But with my usage being 80% media and 20% (or less) actual windows/PC usage, burn in is a total non-issue.

But even the reviews I've seen about OLED monitors would have me convinced to upgrade to one on my Desktop when the time comes, they all say it's a huge improvement in making it feel like you're looking at the game itself, not a screen showing the game. It's really not that hard to just lower brightness, I'm sure there is even a macro.

Mini LED screens that I've seen reviews on leave awful dimming zones so if you have a bright box and drag it around darkness there's a ghosting around the dimming zones. I do not believe Mini LED > OLED.

Bojji

I do not believe Mini LED > OLED.

Mini LEDs are usually brighter and have zero risk of burn in and that's it.

In every other aspect OLED is superior technology to any LCD panels, anyone saying otherwise is full of shit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I went from an Acer Predator X35 (one of the best LCD ultrawides, G-sync ultimate HDR1000 with FALD) to a LG C1 48”

IMO hell yeah it was worth it for the infinite contrast and awesome HDR. Everything just “pops” better than any LCD I’ve seen. Windows auto-HDR works pretty damn well for older titles without official HDR support.

Also with the 48” I get slightly more horizontal space than the ultrawide + a lot more vertical space. And now I don’t have to concern myself with games that don’t support 21:9 or support it poorly (vertical-), especially nice if you play lots of older games/Japanese games/console ports.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Same here.
I didn't want to switch back and forth between monitors for work and media consumption, and since OLED is still a big no-no for productive work with loads of static imagery Mini-LED seemed like the next best thing, Samsung Neo G9 in my case.
Yeah neo G9 here as well

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Full array has shittier HDR than OLED. It's not even close to being as accurate as OLED. Maybe at first glance in a store you can't tell but there is a difference. Displays that use LED backlights cause blooming and until MicroLED comes out it'll not be as good as OLED.

TVs have millions of pixels and backlit tvs have thousands of LEDS so that means each LED is controlling the lighting for multiple pixels. Some pixels will be at accurate but pixels around it will get lit up when really shouldn't be. That's blooming.

OLED has control over each individual pixel so you could have 1 pixel at 100% brightness, the pixel right next to it at 0%, the next pixel at 75%, and the next pixel at 25%. That produces much better contrast so a better HDR image.

MicroLED will, like OLED, have individual pixel control because each pixel will have its own LED. And because it's not Organic (that's what O in OLED means) then it won't risk burn in.

If you want the best HDR then OLED is the way to go for now. I don't know when MicroLED is coming out. With OLED there is the risk of burn in but it has improved so much over the years that you basically have to go out of your way to try make it happen. In all the years I've used OLED screens I have yet to have any burn in. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable using an OLED as my PC monitor.
You have some valid points but a high end Full Array are not shitty at HDR and are on par with most OLEDs in HDR with some plus & negs like bloom
Which some can be toned down to eliminate the effect but are still brighter then the majority of OLED's
But pinpoint colour accuracy is the biggest advantage with OLED and depending on the Full Array panel the difference is noticeable.
It's like going from standard to RGB or RGB components cables in the 90's/2000's
So I wouldn't say they're shit at HDR.
Just like OLED does things better so does the Full Arrays and until both of them things are in one TV neither is the best choice for HDR.
But I think MicroLED will fix that.

Soren01

OLED TVs have panels that are prone to glare. In my opinion, the screens are too large and the ergonomics could be improved.

I can't comment on the monitors.

Sleepwalker

65inch CX in living room
55inch C7 in bedroom
55inch C8 in the gym
34 inch Alienware oled for PC

I’m a oled bitch hahahah
Same lol

65 inch s95b qd oled
55 inch sony a80j in bedroom
34 inch alienware qd olee
48 inch aorus oled monitor (same panel as c1)

Even oled switch lmao

MarkMe2525

I have LG C1.
Can't say that I'm happy with it.
The TV isn't bright enough, I need to turn off all the light and cover the windows each time I want to play games : /
Man that's a bummer. Goes to show that blanket statements such as "OLED is the superior TV tech" doesn't work. I feel for you though, it isn't fun to invest in such tech to find that it doesn't fit your use case. I bet it looks great at night though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I love my C9. 4 years old almost and still looks like a new one. About to order the LG 27" OLED monitor too
Just a heads up the LG monitor is probably the dimmest of all the new OLED monitors plus if you get it make sure you change the setting in the monitors OS to work only with the included remote because the C9 remote will turn the monitor off and on if its close enough, learned this from experience :)

Luipadre

Just a heads up the LG monitor is probably the dimmest of all the new OLED monitors plus if you get it make sure you change the setting in the monitors OS to work only with the included remote because the C9 remote will turn the monitor off and on if its close enough, learned this from experience :)

I know, but i trust LG the most when it comes to OLED panel and i was never high on brightness. I use my IPS at 40% for example. Also i use it mostly in darker room. You already said the remote thing to me in a previous conversation thanks :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know, but i trust LG the most when it comes to OLED panel and i was never high on brightness. I use my IPS at 40% for example. Also i use it mostly in darker room. You already said the remote thing to me in a previous conversation thanks :)
After I typed this out I was wondering if it was you I already said all that to :)

You will love this new monitor, enjoy

I don't know where you are located but was at my local Best Buy yesterday and saw an open box buy excellent condition at my store for $750ish pretty decent savings

Noxxera

If we speak about TVs I dont know, I would prolly buy a non-oled knowing what I know now, sure it can get pitch black but the downside is lack of HDR brightness, and the previous TV I had colours popped more somehow. Looked more realistic. I'm on C9 maybe the newer ones are better. I think C2-C3 have good HDR now.

I love my C9. 4 years old almost and still looks like a new one. About to order the LG 27" OLED monitor too
I've been eyeballing that one for my PS5. Since I don't have a lot of space for a proper TV and I mainly sit beside my desk only.

Apparently it's a bit dimmer than other oled monitors but it has HDMI 2.1. Asus have 2.0 even though its brighter- so I won't take full advantage of PS5, that's a bummer.

I'm curious about burn-in and image retention though. Only Corsair has warranty for burn-in but dunno about HDMI 2.1- edit: just googled it and it has 2.1- but its more expensive. Would gladly check some comparisons between LG and Corsair, tbh.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I've been eyeballing that one for my PS5. Since I don't have a lot of space for a proper TV and I mainly sit beside my desk only.

Apparently it's a bit dimmer than other oled monitors but it has HDMI 2.1. Asus have 2.0 even though its brighter.

I'm curious about burn-in and image retention though. Only Corsair has warranty for burn-in but dunno about HDMI 2.1.

LG is dimmer, means it will last longer. ASUS is pushing the panel really hard and i heard about a decent amount of issues with that monitor. I'd say go with LG. They have the experience with OLED

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Apparently it's a bit dimmer than other oled monitors but it has HDMI 2.1. Asus have 2.0 even though its brighter- so I won't take full advantage of PS5, that's a bummer.

I'm curious about burn-in and image retention though. Only Corsair has warranty for burn-in but dunno about HDMI 2.1.

Since its a 1440p monitor I don't think it having HDMI 2.0 would hamper the PS5 right now since its capped at 120 fps but someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

I would stick with the LG as well as though

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
not worth it for ultrawides.. the sub pixel setup is fucked and it looks less sharp
call me when the tech is perfect

and yes i fing love my 65 inch c2

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Got the alienware being delivered here tomorrow, cant wait. Got it for around $900 usd.
I finally got mine for $900 too. There was a promo and I went back to price match.

I'm currently using it and so far so good. What impresses me the most about OLED isn't even the black levels or contrast performance but the motion clarity. It's completely devoid of ghosting and when I game now, it's much clearer and cleaner. The image quality is excellent and the HDR is great but man, my old panel compared to this looks like it had motion blur on and set to High.

LG is dimmer, means it will last longer. ASUS is pushing the panel really hard and i heard about a decent amount of issues with that monitor. I'd say go with LG. They have the experience with OLED
Yeah, so this will be my nr 1 choice, I guess.

Just need to free up some desk space.

I'm on 1080p IPS , so it should be a nice jump from this panel to OLED plus 1440p and high refresh rate.

I don't really care for larger screens than 27" and 4k, since most games on PS5 are natively around 1440p resolution, this should be all good, I think.

It was nice on PS4 Pro with supersampling on my old monitor but lately all games are kind of blurry and I think its just not working too well with PS5. I notice all kinds of shimmering now- yeah thats the word I was missing-not blurr per se, on Modern Warfare 2 and even Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, I lately finished Hogwarts Legacy and there was shimmer too. Maybe its not downscaling too well.

Do I get the sharpness jump I once had or all the games now have more artefacts because of some weird image processing? Can someone confirm this, would be a huge help. Maybe checkerboard+supersampling was better than FSR or whatever they use in these games.

But I think Ratchet has its own TAA or smth so its surely my old panel compatability- as it is a Sony exclusive game.

And there's no system level supersampling bruteforce on PS5 as PS4 Pro had.

So I think it is time to upgrade, I just hope it will work well. Anyways, it would be nice to get some confirmation.

Last edited:

small_law

I stuck with LCD this upgrade round, two Asus XG32UQ monitors. If it was a single monitor setup, I would have gone OLED. I figure by the time I need new monitors, 8K will be here.

I'm also upgrading all the TVs this year and I'm definitely springing for an LG CX model in the living room. Or whatever. Zero research this far.

Nothing really scared me off OLED, but I did hear about heat issues. I want to know if any of you have seen burn in, especially those of you grinding at one game. Any problems with the HUD causing burn in? Any other problems?

The whole reason I bought an OLED monitor instead of TV is because I don't want to give up my plasma. It looks great at higher refresh rates but 60hz motion is just as bad as on LCD.
There's big difference, because you need 240Hz LCD to match 60Hz motion clarity on plasma TV, especially as good as my GT60 that achieves full 1080 lines of motion resolution even without any framerate upscaling. The motion quality on my LCD M27QP (nano-ips) monitor doesn't look nearly as good, even at a maximum refresh rate of 170Hz. Also the LCD's pixel response is far from good. My LCD monitor can fake 1ms pixel response time with panel overdrive settings, but motion resolution takes a MASSIVE hit (it's like 720p upscaled to 1440p).

I love playing fast paced fps games on my LCD monitor because I get much lower input lag without V-SYNC at 170Hz, but the image quality in general is a joke compared to my GT60, so if game support gamepads I prefer to play on my plasma TV despite it's 60Hz limits (or should I say 3000Hz, because that's internal refreshate on my GT60 panel).

Hoddi

There's big difference, because you need 240Hz LCD to match 60Hz motion clarity on plasma TV, especially as good as my GT60 that achieves full 1080 lines of motion resolution even without any framerate upscaling. The motion quality on my LCD M27QP (nano-ips) monitor doesn't look nearly as good, even at a maximum refresh rate of 170Hz. Also the LCD's pixel response is far from good. My LCD monitor can fake 1ms pixel response time with panel overdrive settings, but motion resolution takes a MASSIVE hit (it's like 720p upscaled to 1440p).

I love playing fast paced fps games on my LCD monitor because I get much lower input lag without V-SYNC at 170Hz, but the image quality in general is a joke compared to my GT60, so if game support gamepads I prefer to play on my plasma TV despite it's 60Hz limits (or should I say 3000Hz, because that's internal refreshate on my GT60 panel).

Ya, I had seen that video before and it explains it very well. My G20 only has a 600hz 'subfield drive' but it's still a big difference over LCD/OLED at 60hz.

There's a reason that 60fps was the gold standard for so long and it's because people were using CRTs. It doesn't apply anymore.

Top Bottom