• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Credits Themes in Games?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
It's kind of a shame that whenever we discuss the best pieces of music in games, more often than not, the tracks that play during the game's final moments are overlooked entirely. After all, the credits at the end of a game, in addition to giving the developers some recognition, serve to give the player a chance to reflect upon what they had experienced over the adventure, and thus powerful compositions can amplify this feeling even more.

Some of my favorites include:

Super Mario Mario Galaxy - Staff Roll
This piece is triumph in musical form. It masterfully mixes new melodies along with familiar ones (Gusty Garden FTW) to create a wonderful track that gives you a genuine feeling of accomplishment (Also, my favorite piece of video game music of all-time in my favorite game of all-time)
The piece in the sequel isn't half-bad either

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time End Credits
After going through an amazing journey and sent back in time, you are then greeted with a wonderful credits sequence that glances over everyone you met along the way and how you impacted their lives for the better and are leaving behind a better future in the process. All while this masterpiece is playing, which is primarily a medley of iconic tracks throughout the game. However, the best part comes at the end with the bells - it's just so good.
I also enjoyed the orchestral piece they added at the end for the 3DS remake.

Ace Combat 5 - The Journey Home
This is such an underrated track from a series that doesn't get enough love IMO. You have just destroyed the enemy's ultimate weapon -
a giant fucking nuclear satellite
and brought an end to the war that was tearing two countries apart. The world is once again at peace, and you get to hear this beautiful track, which was sampled multiple times in the game, in its entirety.
The salsa-inspired track that plays in the prequel is pretty solid as well.

Journey - I Was Born For This
Another gorgeous vocal piece; this song follows the melody of the main theme and allows you to look back at the significant progress(?) you've made on your journey.

Shadow of the Colossus - Epilogue
This is definitely one of the more somber video game credits themes out there. It just leaves you to look at all of the destruction you have caused and all of the gorgeous colossi you have slain
and fills you with even more mixed emotions when you learn that your horse is still alive and that Dormin kept his promise by resurrecting the girl after all.

The Persona series is also filled with pretty exceptional ending themes with the best being from
Persona 3
and
Persona 4
Both of these themes do an excellent job at giving the you the chance to reflect at the characters you've grown to know and interact with, but is also bittersweet in the realization that all your subsequent playthroughs will not be quite as special as your first one.

I know that there are countless notable pieces out there such as the ones from numerous entries in the Metal Gear series as well as To Far Away Times from Chrono Trigger, so what are some of your favorites?

Usoto215

Neo Member
Starsailor "Way to Fall" at the end of MGS3: Snake Eater. Don't know if you wanted original compositions made for the game but damn I love it to death.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
The series with the happiest / heartwarming credits is Wario Land for me.

Wario Land 1 is your standard happy Nintendo credits theme

Wario Land 2 shows Wario returning home to the sound of one of my most cherished ending themes

Wario Land 3 has an especially bittersweet theme, as you've been hearing this jingle throughout the game and now you have to part ways with the people of the world inside the music box

Wario Land 4 is a weird one since it starts with actual lyrics. Still love it

Syril

Holy jizz, I just listened to it and was awe-struck.

But it's weird. I just beat Okami last month, but do not remember hearing this (played PS3 port).
It was removed from the PS3 and Wii versions outside of Japan. There's an instrumental version that's still there so it's probably something to do with licensing the singer's performance or something like that. Kind of a bummer since it's the perfect end credits theme after everything in the ending.

I really like Mother 3's 16 Melodies. That must have been emotional to hear for fans (in Japan) that grew up with the series.

Sonic Generations' Staff Roll is great for a few reasons. It's a special medley of all of the level themes in the game, something that hadn't been done in the series since Knuckles Chaotix in 1995, and the songs used are arranged specifically for the ending. (The beginning and the transition into Green Hill Zone even mirrors the credits medley of Sonic 1!) Really great way to cap off the anniversary, even if the last third of the game wasn't as good as the rest of the game. The only thing they could've done in my opinion to make it even more perfect would be to save the Sky Sanctuary portion for the end. It's easily the most triumphant sounding part of the whole medley, and it'd mirror Sonic 3 & Knuckles credits medley.

Shiggy

Nintendo-Sound-Selection-EndingsCredits-3.jpg

/thread

Arizato

Persona 3
and
Persona 4
Both of these themes do an excellent job at giving the you the chance to reflect at the characters you've grown to know and interact with, but is also bittersweet in the realization that all your subsequent playthroughs will not be quite as special as your first one.

Yup, and these get even more intense when you have seen the endings.

Agreed! Just want to add the other ones as well as they are just a beautiful as this version:

Ashes of Dreams -Aratanaru-

Ashes of Dreams -New- (English Version)

Nocturne - Staff Roll

Starts out with the title screen theme, gets progressively more intense.

Catherine - An Die Freude

Really fun, then it segues into even more music.

Nothing really to add here, both of these are awesome.

My contribution is This Silence is Mine from the last ending of Drakengard 3. Onitsuka's unique voice really embodies the atmosphere of that game.

NESpowerhouse

Starsailor "Way to Fall" at the end of MGS3: Snake Eater. Don't know if you wanted original compositions made for the game but damn I love it to death.

Yeah, that one was pretty good as well; and I don't really care if it was an original composition or not.

If we wanted to talk about ending themes that weren't part of the OST, I would also include "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce in Guitar Hero 3. I mean, this song alone got me into power metal.

Zubz

Banned
Donkey Kong Country 2's credits sound triumphant, and really feel like they cap some sort of large adventure.

Sonic Generations' fit the concept of the game perfectly; it's a credits medley just like the first 2 games', but uses music from the stages in Generations, while actually showing clips from the original levels in the corner.

Portal 2's credit theme, Want You Gone, never got as popular as Still Alive, which is for the best, in my opinion. The song hasn't been done to death with memes and parodies, and unlike SA, which lives off of its lyrics alone, Want You Gone actually relies on being a good, ending-ish song that just happens to have funny lyrics.

Hands down, though, the best credits music is In a Moment's Time from Skullgirls. It's a jazzy, swing song that's super catchy in its own right, but it also fits the game's Dark Deco atmosphere like a glove. The lyrics themselves seem innocuous, but when you think of them being sung by
the Skullheart, which grants wishes, corrupts them, and then turns the wisher into a monster if she's not pure of heart (By its personal definition of "pure")
and/or
Eliza, a vampiric nightclub singer that sees her patrons as prey
, well... I'd say it fits the Dark Deco theme even more.

I swear if US MyNintendo end up being even half as terrible as US Club Nintendo... I didn't even know this was a thing!

Top Bottom