• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D platformer?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
GBFlNzN.jpg

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Tropical freeze wins it for me.Each level has a story to tell both from its visual and gameplay design.Each platform in it has its purpose.Its also build with speedruning in mind as it flows greatly.I could also speak forever about its amazing soundtrack.It also has a great artstyle,its pretty chalenging and has many things to unlock if you want to see every level the game has to offer.

wondermega

Rayman Legends is my all time favorite.
Contra games were great back in the day, albeit a bit frustrating.

Are games like Contra and Megaman considered platformers? For me, it's broken down a bit like this.. a traditional 2D platformer would concentrate mainly on the running/jumping mechanic both for traversal and attack. Some projectile use but not really the main mecanic. So in this case Mario (and maybe like Pitfall) and immediate descendants is the definitive platformer. Megaman, Contra (for me) fall under run'n'gun games, which are a subset of platformer. Mind you, there was a time when these games (well, specifically Contra and Gunstar Heroes and such) were more likened to shooters like Gradius and so forth (since shooting a weapon is the main attack mechanic). Megaman would then fall somewhere in between, tipping more toward the Mario Platform gameplay side of things. Then you have games like Castlevania, Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Legendary Axe - again, all feature heavy platforming elements, but they feel a lot more in line as "slower run'n'guns" (walk'n'guns?) with purposefully more plodding gameplay.

So, it is difficult for me to narrow it down. Overall I'll always default to the original Super Mario Bros, not only because it is really where the modern 2D platformer really found it's definition, but because it is so stripped down and simple compared to all that was to follow, it the perfect example of a 3D platformer distilled to perfection basically between physics, rules, pacing, rhythm, etc. Lacks a lot of the fancy hoo-yeah which probably keeps it from "best" in most people's eyes, but then I am one for purity and simplicity of gameplay in such a case, timelessness.

It's taken me a long while to concede this, but I have to give the crown to Contra NES however (again, depending on how we are categorizing things). Yes, I said it's a run'n'gun and to me that is different than a platformer, but for most reading this thread I assume they would consider this the same genre. So then, why do I choose this game? Again, purity, simplicity, timelessness. In many ways it feels like a grand evolution of many concepts established in Mario, and enough of a different riff to prevent the two from being confused with one another. Contra looks like it's got a fair amount of advancement in the tech used to develop the game, and the hindsight with which the levels are designed (CLEARLY Mario was an influence). It's not so advanced that it feels like a whole generational increment, but definitely a good amount down the road from it's influences within that same generation. But for me the gameplay, variety, presentation etc all add up to a more satisfying (and evergreen) experience. I can still pick up both games today and have a great time, but Contra I'll more easily lose myself in. The sequels are solid and memorable, but I really feel like they nailed it perfectly enough the first time (also, nostalgia is a helluva drug etc etc). Interested to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Power of the 3, for me it was Super Mario Bros 3 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, maybe its the nostalgia talking but these two platformers resonated with me the most.

Super Mario World would definitely be up there when I first saw it, but I didn't truly get to experience it until late in the snes lifespan and by then the wow factor wore off, same with DKC.

Rat Rage

Donkey Kong Country Returns has better level design (especially when it comes to the barrel stages) while DKCTF has the better soundtrack (due to David Wise obviously).

Donkey Kong Country Returns needs to be respected more. It's still in the top 3 of best 2D Platformers of all time.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s many contenders, but it’s hard to beat Super Mario World for simplicity, gameplay and level design. That game is a perfect template to an outstanding 2D platformer.

Celeste is probably the best in recent times. The level design and the progression are just immaculate. I’d like the game to be prettier and the difficulty puts it out of many people’s league, but you can’t argue with its perfect gameplay.

I see not a few Metroidvanias mentioned ITT and I’m scratching my head. The platforming in those games is elementary at best.

Mario 3. No Contest. Mario World is great but the controls aren't as tight, and you can confirm with emulators it's because there are more frames of lag.

Nixonomics

- Super Meat Boy
- N++
- Shovel Knight

These are probably at the top of my list. I got tons of enjoyment out of all 3.

I've heard friends say Grand Poo World 2, a Kaizo Mario hack, is the greatest platformer of all time too.

Barnabot

Either Mega Man X or Mega Man X2. Before DK TF existed there was Mega Man X decades ago and Mega Man X is still kicking some serious ass.

wd40

Mario

No idea why people praise Celeste so much, yuck
Celeste is fantastic I think, the controls and design are near perfect and the music kicks ass. What do you not like about it?

My top three:

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
2. Rayman Legends
3. Super Meat Boy
G O D L I K E T A S T E

In my mind, Yoshi’s Island is the best 2D platformer ever. Nintendo put a decade of experience in this genre and combined it with full mastery of the hardware to make the most brilliant game, right before the switch to 3D. It just does everything perfectly and will never be topped.

As for new ones, the Retro DKC games were exactly like what DKC4/5 would have been IMO, and a long time before other studies like Activision picked up to do this.

I agree, Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece, but I still think DKCTF beats it.

There is WAY more World and SMB3 fans here than I thought, I never quite got the appeal. They're both really good games, but I'd not put them near the top personally. They laid the foundations for the games that came later I think, like Rayman, DKCTF, Celeste, Super Meat Boy, and hell even Yoshi's Island.

Mozzarella

I like Metroidvanias the most, things like Symphony of the Night and Hollow Knight. However i believe we are excluding them and only talking about platformers. In that case I will mention 3 in no order. (Ori, Inside, Cave Story).

By the way, which version of SMB3 is the better? NES or All Stars? I've yet to play it so I'd like to know which one I should pick.
Edit: and why?

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

By the way, which version of SMB3 is the better? NES or All Stars? I've yet to play it so I'd like to know which one I should pick.

I prefer the NES version, but All Stars allows you to save your game and looks great graphically. I'm a crazy person and actually prefer the look of the All Stars version over Mario World.

DKC:TF was awesome. But Donkey Kong Country Returns made a greater impression on me. The graphics were gorgeous for the Wii and the details fitted perfectly the resolution: neither too many, nor too few, the amount of information on screen was perfect. The gameplay was top notch and took advantage of the wiimote-nunchuk combo.
The hard mode was a real added value compared to Tropical Freeze because the levels were mirrored.
When Tropical Freeze came out, ... well, its predecessor already existed, so it couldn't have the same impact. But admittedly, it had better graphics, extended gameplay and longer levels. I really like both; the games are complementary and I'd say the perfect game would be a compilation of the two.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was surprisingly a blast to 100%. Simple but efficient and satisfying gameplay, and awesome OST.

And of course, NSMB Wii is really a good contender, especially if you're 2 or more players. NSMBU as well, especially thanks to the Gamepad gameplay, but I found the level design somewhat disappointing.

I read that Super Mario Advance 4 could also be a good pick. Any advice?

CitizenZ

Banned
I dont know there are so many types of 2D depends on the genre and they can range from kiddie types to hardcore.

Top Bottom