• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2D platformer?

wd40

I'd say personally, that I think the greatest 2D platformer ever made is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Maybe a close runner-up in Celeste. What do you think are some of the best ones. While I haven't posted on the forum about it, I personally think the 2D Mario games are really low on the list, most of them being just ok, with some of them like World, and NSMB Wii being pretty fun, but Yoshi's Island is a fuckin MASTERPIECE, what a game. Other good 2D platformers I like are Super Meat Boy, Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Megaman Powered Up is really fun too.

My nominee for BEST 2D PLATOFRMER tho still remains DKC:TF.

How about you NeoGAF?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
WiiUVC_SuperMarioWorld_01.bmp

this is not my favorite tbh.. but this is the standard answer

Last edited:

Arachnid

Megaman 2 and Sonic Adventure 2 are my personal favorites.

Unless you count Little Nightmares, anyways. That game is a 3D platformer that plays like a 2D platformer so I'm not sure if it should be included. If it can though, I pick that.

BlackTron

I think SMB3 is the quintissential Super Mario game much like Ocarina of Time encapsulates pure Zelda. I like World too, but to me the game is just "more good Mario" building on what 3 already did.

But lord, the graphics, control and mechanics in Yoshi's Island are God tier. SMB3 is a game I would show to anybody. Yoshi's Island is like appreciating fine art, not everyone will understand what makes it so great.

Shinobi III
8382a0cf83cf7cf397daace2794985b5.gif

Sorry Mario people, I have not been a fan since after SMB3... Mario peaked there, all games in the series are competent, often polished to a great degree... but they bore me so much.

Also, Maldita Castilla is a free (PC, Ouya) indie game well worth your time if you are up for an old school challenge:
5aca02cd416790ee62973ca7e0c4e9a7.jpg

tumblr_p1f2ylLbTx1qhcdpbo4_500.gif

Game is amazing to play solo or coop. Having my wife and two kids play various levels and difficulties is something we have revisited for years and continue to play today. The challenges, the various difficulties, the end game content, the art, the fun and generally the gameplay itself is satisfying to so many types of gamers. TL;DR it's brilliant fun.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
In my mind, Yoshi’s Island is the best 2D platformer ever. Nintendo put a decade of experience in this genre and combined it with full mastery of the hardware to make the most brilliant game, right before the switch to 3D. It just does everything perfectly and will never be topped.

As for new ones, the Retro DKC games were exactly like what DKC4/5 would have been IMO, and a long time before other studies like Activision picked up to do this.

Last edited:
I was SMW for the longest time. I played through NSMBU in it's entirety and I say that I got had a lot of World feels about the game from a design, feel, and volume of content. Still think World is the best but New U proved that Nintendo still can do a 2D Mario game right. DK:TF is also very, very good.

Belmonte

Hard question.

I will take out action platformers like Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, Megaman, etc to make easier for me.

I'm torn between Super Mario Bros 3, Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze. Masterpieces.

Everyone knows the SMB3 and Yoshi's Island, but not so many know how great Retro DKC is. Here is a very cool video explaining why it has genius game design:

Last edited:
I can't choose between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. I've been gaming since the late 80's and 2D platformers is probably my favorite genre, and I haven't played any games in the genre that have matched these two since they were released.

They're just so fun, creative and innovative. I still play through them like once a year, and they're completely timeless to me. Nothing even comes close to me. Pure perfection.

Last edited:

MacReady13

For mine it’s gotta be either Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 3 or Donkey Kong Country 2. They’re my 4 favs and I have a hard time picking a number 1.

Top Bottom