• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle royale Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodhunt is ending development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Launched in April 2022 following months of early access, the PC and PS5 action game is set in the universe of the pen and paper RPG, with players competing against 48 other vampires, with the help of guns, swords and anything else they can get their hands on.

On Monday, developer Sharkmob said that due to it not being able to reach the recquired number of players, it will end active development on the title. In-game monetization will also be turned off.

However, Bloodhunt’s servers will remain active for the foreseeable future, it claimed, and an in-game voting system implemented in order to keep the game fresh.

“Ever since launch, we have been on a journey to excite and delight our players, however, while we have an amazing and very engaged community, we haven’t been able to reach the critical mass needed to sustain development,” it said. “This has led us to the decision to stop further development of Bloodhunt.

“With that said, Bloodhunt servers will stay up and the game will remain available to play. Our aim is to keep the servers going for as long as we have an active player base and community.

“For those who enjoy the game and want to continue playing, we have worked on some solutions to ensure that the game continues to be interesting. An in-game player voting system will be deployed to regularly unlock new things and keep Bloodhunt fresh.”

The statement continued: “We will share more granular details about how this system works when we get closer to releasing our next update, which will be the last planned patch for Bloodhunt. Beyond that update, patches will only be related to maintenance.

“We are also looking at turning off real currency purchasing on September 26th. Before this happens, we will implement a way to earn in-game tokens more easily so players can continue to play and unlock cosmetics beyond this date.

“While we are as sad as you are that Bloodhunt development has now come to an end, please know that this was a difficult decision to make, and we take this experience with us in the development of coming games.”

Yeah, I believe this gonna be basically the end result of similar generic games with monetization made by suit guys.
hmmm, wonder what that checklist looks like, I'll take a stab

-free to play
-vampires and/or zombies
-battle royale
-third person
-early access (allows one to put out forever trash game with minimal commited resources under EA banner)

can i be an executive now too?

Last edited:
Was planning on playing this as I'm a fan of the VTM video games and I'm still waiting for VTMB2. I never got around to playing it because it had a huge file download and I couldn't be bothered. Will check it out and see what's happening.

Was planning on playing this as I'm a fan of the VTM video games and I'm still waiting for VTMB2. I never got around to playing it because it had a huge file download and I couldn't be bothered. Will check it out and see what's happening.
Try Vampire Masquerade Swansong.

I'm not planning on playing any of those visual novel games or this one if I'm honest. I want the main VTMB2 and I want it now damn it!
Lol swansong is more telltale like. Its quite alright if you keep in my mind the shoestring budget it has. Still better than nothing.

It was hard to get matches almost from the beginning. I thought the gameplay was amazing and I tried to persevere but these Fortnite kids just slaughtered me match after match. I blame the lack of marketing for the low player count, it was a great battle royale.

Teslerum

Meanwhile, Bloodlines 2 - a game that people actually want to play - is still stuck in development hell.
No, no I don't.

Bloodlines 2 sounded more and more horrible the more they talked about it and currently its a complete crapshoot how the game will turn out. Not that they can't use the setting again, but I'd rather they let the name and game rest.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I put in about 130 hours and really enjoyed my time with it. A super fast paced, almost Quakelike, battle royale with very snappy controls to boot!

Unfortunately that also means that the skill disparity between new and seasoned players is almost unfair as the latter will just stomp all over the competition 99% of the time. Making it a niche title, ultimately.

For what it's worth this game had some of the best skins in the genre though! Lots of character customisation as well which was nice. Shame it didn't find a big enough audience to sustain itself...

Teslerum

You =/= everyone
True, but plenty of people share the sentiment. Your statement was general too.

If you're looking forward to it, that's fine. Me, I tuned out right after reveal when the dev team began shitting on the original Bloodlines and charachters and storylines like Therese/Jeanette Voerman. Bloodlines is among my Top 3 favourite games of all time, so yeah. Did not take too well to that.

That said that version of Bloodlines 2 is long dead, so maybe its at a place of caring fans though that do justice to the IP. But on the other hand its equally possible that a dev team is now shackled by the original name while actually wanting to do their own thing in the V:TM universe. Which happened before and ain't great too.

We'll see anyway.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Your statement was general too.
I said "people", not "everyone". You can say that there are just as many people who expect a new Bloodlines game as there are those who don't care.

Your "I don't" post came off like just because you don't care then it doesn't supposed to matter at all.

Teslerum

I said "people", not "everyone". You can say that there are just as many people who expect a new Bloodlines game as there are those who don't care.

Your "I don't" post came off like just because you don't care then it doesn't supposed to matter at all.
Don't interpret stuff into my words that I never said.

If people isn't general that's ok. Then its a misunderstanding on my side.
I am not a native speaker to begin with so not claiming to be in the right here.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Some cool things existed, but I don't think there was enough to carry it. Really. Dug the speed and flow of the game, felt very twitchy. But then content went dry, and after playing a bit the new/different mechanics just kind of lost their sheen.

YuLY

Oh looooooook...another trash BR bandwagon thats failing. I miss the 00s when devs where making traditional games and didnt focus on multiplayer trash that is dead in a few months and then everyone loses access to it. Its like you wasted so many hours of your life on something that will be gone forever, some of these devs really are just mercenaries looking for a pay, the passion is gone in this industry.

True, but plenty of people share the sentiment. Your statement was general too.

If you're looking forward to it, that's fine. Me, I tuned out right after reveal when the dev team began shitting on the original Bloodlines and charachters and storylines like Therese/Jeanette Voerman. Bloodlines is among my Top 3 favourite games of all time, so yeah. Did not take too well to that.

That said that version of Bloodlines 2 is long dead, so maybe its at a place of caring fans though that do justice to the IP. But on the other hand its equally possible that a dev team is now shackled by the original name while actually wanting to do their own thing in the V:TM universe. Which happened before and ain't great too.

We'll see anyway.
I have to agree. I rather have no sequel than a bad sequel that shits all over a beloved cult classic.

AGRacing

So many game developers make terrible decisions about the first 5 minutes of a video game.

There's just too much out there and too much availability through free to play and subscription services to not present players with very well designed menus and an art direction that feels new or fresh. If you stray from that people will pull the eject lever immediately.

If you're copy-catting... you damn well do it all better.

Pretty sure that whole game is just sitting in a recycling bin somewhere.
No, no I don't.

Bloodlines 2 sounded more and more horrible the more they talked about it and currently its a complete crapshoot how the game will turn out. Not that they can't use the setting again, but I'd rather they let the name and game rest.
its-still.gif

kunonabi

I actually like the battle royale premise I just hate that they the only thing they make with it is shooters. This, spellbreak, and the upcoming my hero academia all could have been really interesting if they just showed any creativity with actually mixing up the formula.

Last edited:
Top Bottom