• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battalion Wars scores 8.8 at IGN

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/650/650932p1.html

Closing Comments
Nintendo fans too often have a bad habit of snapping up anything developed by the Big N and ignoring just about everything else. It would be a shame if this misguided routine caused Battalion Wars to go unnoticed because it really is a game that deserves the collective attention of GameCube owners. I had my doubts that Kuju could pull the title off, but my skepticism has been wiped out like the Xylvanian Army. With tight control, mostly intuitive squad management, a wide assortment of soldier and vehicle types, great physics, and huge landscapes upon which epic wars wage, Battalion Wars is a blast. It has some problems -- a quirky inability to micromanage individual units while giving full-battalion commands, fewer levels than I would have liked and no multiplayer mode -- but while it lasts gamers will find themselves unable to stop playing.

This is a sleeper hit. Check it out.

And Nintendo, get Kuju started on the Revolution sequel now and make sure it's got a fully developed online mode.

IGN's Ratings for Battalion Wars (GCN)
8.0 Presentation
Crisp full-motion animation, slick menus, zoomable map interface, and real-time dialogue come together for a comical, stylized experience.
8.0 Graphics
A point of debate for us. However, despite the game's low-resolution textures, it delivers big worlds with lots of units on-screen, huge explosions and little extras like grass, all at 30 frames.
7.5 Sound
We personally like the over-the-top and colorful voice acting in the game, but we realize not everybody will. Standard music fills the space.
9.0 Gameplay
Unexpectedly fun. Tight control and smart strategic management come together. Only a few kinks in the management system and squad AI detract from the exprience.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Some 20 standard missions will keep games busy for a little while. A scoring system encourages gamers to re-play levels. Lack of multiplayer mode hurts.
8.8 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom