• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024 is starting

Kaachan

Just turned the stream on and this is what I’m greeted with in the chat…

uRJbe6b.jpg

So this is event is about video games or just a bunch of mentally ill people? #selfcare

SaiyanRaoh

Okay, I need to know, why are there so many "confused" people on this show. It's jarring seeing a dude with a deeper voice than I or putting on his best baby voice being described as a SHE. Man, who do you think you're fooling? I'm pretty close to no-ping the fuck out of this. No matter how much nerd you think you have in you, watch a show like this.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that the last really good event was in 2017, but not sure

They started cutting the OG runners. They removed the Highlights from fans. They started to cry with just the simplest offense

I know it's for a good cause, but man, those guys are the worse

Boralf

Isn't it hard to do a speedrun and also do commentary about what you are doing? Or is this not really about the fastest time?

FunkMiller

It's actually quite worrying how many young men in America are so unable to cope with being young men in America, that they develop such strong mental health issues around gender and identity.

The direct correlation between social awkward young men who speed run video games, and transgenderism, is made extremely stark when you look at just how many of the people who take part in GDQ are trans.

In the future, there's going to be a lot of examination over how poorly mental health has been handled in America that this is the outcome. I know there's a temptation to laugh at dudes dressed in skirts, pretending to be female (and how that is supported by all those around them) but I actually feel a great deal of sympathy for them, and don't particularly find any of it all that funny. It's disturbing and sad, and something needs to be done about it.

Last edited:

ssringo

Isn't it hard to do a speedrun and also do commentary about what you are doing? Or is this not really about the fastest time?
Depends on the game and the runner. Some, like my favorite speedrunner Oatsngoats (primarily runs Super Metroid and is absent from this event), can absolutely talk about whatever and still beat the game faster than 99.9% of the people watching. Others need to focus more and won't talk as much. Regardless, a lot of runs will have a person or three sitting on the "couch" to provide additional commentary and/or entertainment during the run since it can be daunting to perform well at an event and be entertaining to everyone watching. The runs themselves are more about doing the game fast and showing off tricks to entertain people but not necessarily trying to set records.
----
There's some interesting looking runs coming down the line like Elden Ring vs Sekiro, Resident Evil 4 and Baldur's Gate 3 but I'll have to catch them on the VoD.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You can tell a fair bit about the crowd from how many people are still wearing masks. Maybe I spent too much time in the PNW. Amusingly, right now there are three people in the audience like 50 feet apart from each other, and all with masks.
I’m going to MAGFest this week and I’ll be wearing a mask the whole time, not because I’m afraid of getting sick, but because I’m getting over RSV and I’m not an asshole.

MacReady13

Completely disinterested in watching this crap just to find out what pronouns these sensitive fuckers have. Plenty of other shit I can waste my time doing other than watching these overly sensitive muppets laugh at shit “jokes” being as woke as fuck.

zenspider

Very hard. Most runners have other people who run the game as well “on the couch” to do commentary. As ssringo ssringo said, it’s more of a showcase/celebration than a competitive event.

Last edited:

zenspider

The pronouns was like… I don’t know how much is opt-in and how much is peer pressure so I just ignored it.. they do that shit at the Apple Store ffs. I quit on these “folx” when they moved their event because Florida was “literally” killing trans people.
It’s a shame because I think speedrunning is really cool and innovative. #savetheanimals

Last edited:
Top Bottom