• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

BossLackey

Gold Member
Nice! But I had those DT 770s and I didn't like them that much since I listen to audio on vintage loudspeakers I found their soundstage large but also artificial. But I had like 32 ohms model I believe, 80 ohm model may sound differently.

Ultrasone headphones won my heart with their natural sounding soundstage. I also can't seem to push them to the max at all and I got weird resonance in one of the cans of those DTs I had. Those were weird headphones for sure or I got defective model and since I bought them online, I returned them within 14 days of purchase.

Anyways back to Ultrasones, they actually use your ear lobes to build the soundstage similarly to what loudspeakers do. The only thing is you can actually hear the left speaker in your right ear and right speaker in your left ear. And this is not actually doable with any headphones I believe.

And then and only then the sound goes into your ear canals, those things have crazy good soundstage. For what its worth.

Especially after the warming phase sure can make your eyes pop.

S-Logic it is called, google it. If you are curious.

Or watch this vid.

If you will have the chance to listen to those in some headphones shop, give them a try. Not necessarily forcing you to drop some huge money on a new headphones. Just trying to make you curious. Maybe you will like them, is all.

Watching when I get home. That sounds nuts! I'm always open to new things audio. I do wish I had some better options around me as far as trying cans. Gonna have to go to an expo someday but there are never any even close to where I live. These Ultrasones sound interesting!

Watching when I get home. That sounds nuts! I'm always open to new things audio. I do wish I had some better options around me as far as trying cans. Gonna have to go to an expo someday but there are never any even close to where I live. These Ultrasones sound interesting!
If you can try listen to Ultrasones try the Pro 900i, those will blow your mind.

They are a bit of a premium cans but I saw them go as low as $157 on Thomann.de

I remember them being priced at $405 or so.

Plug in cable- 2 sets one straight other is spiral, two sets of ear pads: one leather- stronger bass a bit closer soundstage, one velvet- wider soundstage, less bass you just twist them 180° and they come off, same thing with putting them back on + a case for all of these. That's what comes in with the headphones.

My Ultrasone HFI-580 have decentralised drivers but S-Logic tune in holes are plastic, and ear pads replacement is a chore. You start to invent curses in ancient language trying to fit those on...

This is an older model, newer similar in spec is Pro 580i it replaced mine but lately I saw Ultrasone Pro 780i on Thomann.de priced lower than the Pro 580s...

Or maybe they were Pro 750s, they look almost identical to 900i but dunno about the sound difference. You could read up on it.

Pro 900i S-Logic is all metal, even tune in holes.

My friends Ultrasone Pro 900i on my Yamaha A-960II integrated amplifier sound through NuForce uDAC-3 - no ear pads on, 0.5m-1m placement of camera with zoom:

And they still pump up bass.

They go as low as 6hz effectively. Those cans are monsters :lollipop_thescream:.

And whatever you throw at them even with such a big amp as Yammie A-960II even if they are plugged in the phones input I suspect it still uses 4x big Sanken power transistors with it and I still couldn't make any distortion whatsoever. Unlike DT770s which started to crap out at moderate sound levels... and only at one can. Like this resonance or clipping / peak? Or smth. It was weird.

Last edited:
You always could order some model online from reliable site and I believe you can return them no question asked within 14 days. And test those, but I wouldn't go lower than Pro 580s. Depends on your budget. I'm curious about those Pro 750s since they look pretty much identical to Pro 900s, they could have similar build quality with replacebale pads and cables but that needs to be checked and also the sound difference. Pro 900s basically find bass in almost everything. You can like it or not. While having monitor like staging and detail. Pro 750s could have the same staging and detail but could be a bit more civilised in bass department - but you need to check the reviews.

Anyways I game on those Ultrasones HFI-580 on PS5 and I can easily power them with jack input of DualSense.

Imaging is insane while playing for example Call of Duty MW2 or Warzone 2 multi with friends.

I later used them on PS4 with DualShock 4 jack input too playing COD MW2019 and Warzone 1 and I always found them pretty amazing with music and gaming. Both.

But when I play single player games I hook them up to a second amp Hitachi HA-330 as I have my PS5 signal go to TV and from mini Jack on TV to this vintage amp. But you could easily drive them with game pad or in your case with PC motherboard as you have mention you drive DT770s through there while using signal path from consoles.

I still need to check them on Callisto Protocol and maybe Dead Space remake but only if price drops. I watched Digital Foundry review of Dead Space Remake and they praised the sound mix as it supposedly bounce of the ingame walls creating life like sounds. I'm curious how those sound on S-Logic or S-Logic Plus. But it's priced pretty high. And I already played the original on launch I believe.

Last edited:

JBat

I know next to nothing about audio equipment and need someone to tell me if this is a dumb idea and give some suggestions. I've been considering the Sennheiser hd650 headphones with either a Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3+ amp and DAC or their Hel 2A DAC/amp combo thingy. This would be primarily used for gaming on my PC and music every once in a while. I've got a Pulse 3d headset for my PS5 and honestly don't know how that compares to an expensive set of headphones with the accompanying equipment. I've read that the 650's aren't good for gaming because they don't do spacial audio well but again have no clue and I've also read stuff saying if their good for music their good for gaming so not sure what to think. I like the idea of open back headphones so I can still be aware of what's going on in the house. I've never thought too much about audio quality but want to give it a shot. Plus I've got the upgrade bug and audio is the only thing to really improve on right now.

Schitt is pretty good. From what I have read. Lots of positive feedback, so I would personally stick with it. But if you can have a listen before purchase it would be pretty cool. As for Sennheiser I would go with it or either Ultrasones. I have only heard Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD 599 and also Ultrasone HFI-580 and Pro 900i and Grado SR60 and SR80, I believe and Beyerdynamic DT770s. And some kind of AKG and Audio-Technica headphones.

Longstory short I'm on Ultrasones now :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know next to nothing about audio equipment and need someone to tell me if this is a dumb idea and give some suggestions. I've been considering the Sennheiser hd650 headphones with either a Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3+ amp and DAC or their Hel 2A DAC/amp combo thingy. This would be primarily used for gaming on my PC and music every once in a while. I've got a Pulse 3d headset for my PS5 and honestly don't know how that compares to an expensive set of headphones with the accompanying equipment. I've read that the 650's aren't good for gaming because they don't do spacial audio well but again have no clue and I've also read stuff saying if their good for music their good for gaming so not sure what to think. I like the idea of open back headphones so I can still be aware of what's going on in the house. I've never thought too much about audio quality but want to give it a shot. Plus I've got the upgrade bug and audio is the only thing to really improve on right now.
Magni modi combo is great. It’s what I use. Schiit are great bang for buck. Hel is good if you need the mic input. Note that these below do not come with a mic.

Headphones you can dig some more into before buying. Lots of options to consider in the $150-300 range.

If budget isn’t a big deal, check the Sennheiser 6XX on Drop.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros are in that same price range. They have more offerings in a higher price range too.
Both brands are trustworthy and have stellar reputations for good reason.

Open back is always the way to go if your environment allows for it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
2q938srdfzja1.jpg

y0FHIzB.jpg
yLV0uOY.jpg
laKRy97.jpg

For me its a cup of coffee and some Ministry, Duran Duran, Naked Eyes, Arcadia or Buck-Tick lately in the morning :messenger_sunglasses:.

Older Buck-Tick albums have high quality masters even on YouTube compressions. I just melt hearing the electric guitars which sound exactly like you would have the artist play guitar in your room. Its insaaane. Dunno who did the masters for them, but props to the studio guy,

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Came across this website.

It's generated from this book:

I'm going to give it a go. I'll try to educate myself on the record each day. My first album is Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home.

The book is up on the internet archive website btw:

Last edited:

SliChillax

I got JDS Labs Element II and Focal Clear Professional and I was thinking if I should change the JDS to something with a balanced input. I get some sound crackling in some specific bass heavy songs at very high volume (which I sometimes like to listen to). I was looking at getting the Fiio K7, anyone had any experience with it?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah, so I bought SpinCare and a new stylus for my Shure cartridge...

paJ18LC.png

Also bought new ingredients for my own cleaning solution. So I should be all set to clean them records 😎.

Can't wait!
I was listening to a used copy of Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water and it really needs a cleaning. Let me know how it works out for you. I might be picking one up myself soon.

Yeah will do! For now I'm excited to change the stylus in Shure, and next month in Nagaoka.

Still waiting for the new stylus, but..

Shure performance on no-name stylus on Naked Eyes - Promises I scored this month seems spectacular, can't wait how it will play with brand new Swiss Nude Line stylus (black diamond). It should arrive some time next week.

And on Nagaoka. I like the Shure sound better on this one but this cart seems to have more sibilance than Nagaoka for sure(it appears on some of the records but not on all of them. I thought that arc protractor got rid of it bit here it is back again. Weird stuff)- to test both cartridges at 100% I should have new stylus on Nagaoka too. It has been a really long time since I started to use it and I bet its worn like hell too. Should have proper comparison next month, I bet.

But next week I will probably test the Shure cart back and forth on a new stylus :messenger_sunglasses:. Hopefully this will get rid of the sibilance because otherwise this cart seems like a keeper, a really nice sound. It has something different than Nagaoka cartridge I really like, can't describe it really well but it has the weight and has the proper amount of treble but... It's so easy to listen to it's insane. It doesn't really feel like a step down - it has such a nice signature.

Never thought that vintage cartridges could be so much fun. If new stylus will only get rid of sibilance and maybe make it a bit more musical than it already is then I'm s(h)ure I will be blown a way more than I already am :messenger_beaming:.

But I can only speculate for now- nothing is certain.

Still, I can't wait to try out the Black Diamond stylus on it.

Last edited:
Can you explain your setup a bit. Is that an aux cable from the tablet?
It probably is, not his setup as he's already explained.

But since I use my vintage audio with everything, even a PS5.

I suspect the owner of this setup uses his audio with this tablet and it probably is a quick way to stream Apple Music Lossless or Tidal- or even some YouTube vids. Without the hassle of turning on a laptop or a huge PC. Less space needed is plus, I bet.

I would probably do the same if I had a tablet with HQ audio chip in it. Not that I have one. But I had the same general idea in my head a while back.

As I have watched YouTube vids of Kenrick Sound Japan on YT- I saw them use the tablet and stream stuff on some insane looking tube amps and JBL speakers.

The thought that popped in my head while watching some of their vids was like: man, this is brilliant. So it's not really an original thought, but yeah.

If something looks stupid but it works- it isn't stupid :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

Anyways, check the Kenrick Sound YT channel those dudes are insane. As I remember it they have a stock of JBL drivers and they redo the JBL loudspeakers or are making a copies with improved crossovers and whatnot from scratch.

Saw a vid of them transporting a JBL Paragon from 1957... To a buyers house. It may have been a copy too, but a really well done one!

https://www.youtube.com/@KenrickSound/videos :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not mine. Just enjoyed the visual aesthetic. :messenger_beaming:

Ya it looks great.

I suspect the owner of this setup uses his audio with this tablet and it probably is a quick way to stream Apple Music Lossless or Tidal- or even some YouTube vids. Without the hassle of turning on a laptop or a huge PC. Less space needed is plus, I bet.

I would probably do the same if I had a tablet with HQ audio chip in it. Not that I have one. But I had the same general idea in my head a while back.

I personally use my phone or tablet and stream to a Chromecast audio connected to my Denon AV Receiver via optical for this kind of thing and let the receiver act as the DAC and amp. Chromecast also is connected by Ethernet.

Last edited:
I personally use my phone or tablet and stream to a Chromecast audio connected to my Denon AV Receiver via optical for this kind of thing and let the receiver act as the DAC and amp. Chromecast also is connected by Ethernet.
Hmm, so is it lossless or lossy?

It seems like it could be lossless since it uses Ethernet.

But it could be not, since you wrote you stream to Chromecast...

Bluetooth is still lossy, I believe I have read it only has like 256Kbps stream. That was my only concern while using BT streaming devices. So I ultimately stayed away from those because on my audio system it is really audible if you play a lossy stream.

But if it's like lossless and uses Ethernet instead I may have to read up on it more- please write something more about it, I am curious.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hmm, so is it lossless or lossy?

It seems like it could be lossless since it uses Ethernet.

But it could be not, since you wrote you stream to Chromecast...

Bluetooth is still lossy, I believe I have read it only has like 256Kbps stream. That was my only concern while using BT streaming devices. So I ultimately stayed away from those because on my audio system it is really audible if you play a lossy stream.

But if it's like lossless and uses Ethernet instead I may have to read up on it more- please write something more about it, I am curious.

Ya its lossless it streams up to 24-bit and 96kHz. It's been discontinued for a couple years though. I bought 4 cause of that reason lol. I love them.

You do need to buy an adapter for ethernet. Wifi works well also but I always use them wired.

Last edited:

JBat

Okay...I think I get it now. I pulled the trigger on the Schiit Magni and Modi with the Sennheiser hd 650's. Signed up for Tidal and played one of my favorite songs, In the Light by Led Zeppelin. Freaking nuts! Everything is so damn clear and hearing notes I've never noticed. Listening to some Rush and now I'm thinking about tube amps and turn tables lol. Here's my humble little setup
kbC3jCp.jpg

Okay...I think I get it now. I pulled the trigger on the Schiit Magni and Modi with the Sennheiser hd 650's. Signed up for Tidal and played one of my favorite songs, In the Light by Led Zeppelin. Freaking nuts! Everything is so damn clear and hearing notes I've never noticed. Listening to some Rush and now I'm thinking about tube amps and turn tables lol. Here's my humble little setup
kbC3jCp.jpg
Pay only for Tidal HiFi not Masters- or however is it called HiFi Plus, I think. Schiit doesn't support Master Quality Authentication and personally I think it's a scam too, so there's that.

I personally don't like to listen to turntable on headphones, there's something off about it.

On loudspeakers though it sounds nuts.

Personally I would buy some small vintage amp unit 30-45 watts per channel, use your Schiit DAC RCA as an output and maybe some small monitor speakers and then buy turntable. Maybe if you have the space go for some floor loudspeakers but those are more large. Vintage KEF does really good bigger than monitor loudspeakers but not so big like my speakers, so those could interest you more.

Kenwood KA-3500 is a nice unit, my friend has bought Rotel RA-300 for 80 euros/ $95. And lately I saw Pioneer SA-6500 II in similar price range.

I use Hitachi HA-330 but this HA-270 looks nice too. Small monitors.

Mind you those amps have headphones inputs too ;).

I personally use my DAC as an audio source but I never plug in my headphones there... Just in my amp.

I noticed some DACs sound better through RCA outputs than headphones inputs too. Dunno about Schiit though.

Last edited:
Ya its lossless it streams up to 24-bit and 96kHz. It's been discontinued for a couple years though. I bought 4 cause of that reason lol. I love them.

You do need to buy an adapter for ethernet. Wifi works well also but I always use them wired.
I have one sat in a drawer as just use a pi now. The new kid on the block that seems to be taking over the CCA top spot is the wiim mini and now wiim pro. They are recommended a lot on avforums (uk forum).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have one sat in a drawer as just use a pi now. The new kid on the block that seems to be taking over the CCA top spot is the wiim mini and now wiim pro. They are recommended a lot on avforums (uk forum).

Very cool. I like the chromecast interface because it works easily with Tidal and other apps. I also have a pi with Volumio but I don't use it a lot.

Jbat,

Check KEF Caprice II those have the hi-end triangular bass unit much pricer reference KEF monitors use.

And this is consumer model so it should much much cheaper around $180 tops.

Photos from internet:
HvWlV8J.jpg
lhrR6cN.jpg

I wouldn't go bigger than those as a first speakers, tbh.

Should suffice.

Or go into the small monitor field, whatever suits you.

I have an audiophile friend now which pushes me more towards 2-way loudspeakers anyway. Since we both came to conclusion, they have simpler crossovers and are easier to drive.

Or you could go really vintage.

2-way vintage loudspeakers, no soft domes or horns as a tweeter, only paper cone. From my own experience and my friend, those indeed sound nuts.

JBL L26 Decade are of this construction but those are expensive.

Saw some vintage English loudspeakers, some JVC, some Pioneer or Sansui of similar construction to those JBLs and they were cheaper. Even some German loudspeakers.

Sometimes the most ugly looking loudspeakers design wise have a really pleasant sound. It funny. So sometimes its worth to try some weird looking vintage speakers... it can be a surprise.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
kbC3jCp.jpg
Welcome to the party pal. Hearing new aspects of songs was the thing that originally hooked me into the hobby as well. There's a few options out there for lossless streaming so don't be afraid to experiment. Blind tests between 320kbps & lossless are fun to do too. I think once you're accustomed to lossless, it's easier to hear shortcomings in recordings (for good and bad).

I love your desk, btw. And the pipe is a nice touch.

Vinyl gets expensive these days but I personally love it. Not for the audio quality 100% of the time. Streaming is all about loudness so you can get less desirable mixes. Vinyl releases sometimes are the same mix as streaming and sometimes a better/clearer mix. 60s and 70s rock albums specifically sound fantastic IMO--Bands like Pink Floyd understood the medium and its constraints. I don't think I own a single vinyl album that made me stop listening to the streaming version altogether, though. I still like to own the physical album. I enjoy reading the liner notes and looking at the artwork while I listen. I like getting up and flipping the record too. Vinyl is about the experience for me.

Enjoy the journey my friend and keep us posted as you progress. Pics are always welcome.

I have four big electrical switchboards in 50m radius from my house so no need to make my own power pole 🤣👍. It may be a blessing from the perspective of Japanese audiophile but it has also proven to be problematic.

My Yammie A-960II has 220v power supply, during summer on a really sunny day I have like 243v in my power outlet.

I was thinging about buying some voltage regulator, saw a bunch of vintage models, fairly cheap. They were mostly used with Tube TVs back in the day but not only that.

Lately I have found vintage Italian Voltage Regulator it can have input from 220 to 253v and it has 220v +-1.5% on the output.

Because A-960II can get rather hot and also I have already recapped it once.

It may not like a higher voltage at all. And voltage regulator may solve some of issues of this amp.

Back in the day I didn't thought about it much but it kinda makes sense. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Hmm, so alignment calibration tool for my Dual is here. The same thing vintage Dual engineers used during factory check up and quick setting up of turntables without protractors.

Quite the capable dongle, I should say.

I'm an absolute noobie in setting the proper VTA and I always have heard that you don't need to do anything else than setting up horizontal tracking angle because vertical tracking angle is always good because of Dual headshells... And there were some bs in there. Well, maybe not quite everything was bs but it partly were some bs for sure.

Anyways back to the VTA and Dual calibration/alignment tool/gauge/dongle.

Some actual examples:
lXMQZEJ.jpg

As stated in manual for this tool, stylus should almost reach the top - like it does on my MP-110 for proper VTA setting. No spacers whatsoever, plays extra clean, no sibilance of any kind. Tracks really well, like a demon.

GQXuosa.jpg

And here M95EDM, it barely reaches the mid length of the gauge for VTA calibration- it seems waay off.

Same type of headshell, no spacers. All stock.

So Dual headshells may do the trick or don't.

Long story short, I should find some cheap headshell spacers and test it out. But I'm like 99% s(h)ure that's it.

It also sets horizontal tracking angle just as easy in the headshell. Man that's a really nice tool to have! 🥸.

Last edited:

Yup, that will be it.

Edit: It curious that some Dual turntables had a clip thingie snapping cartridge into the headshell, go a bit back with this vid, you will see it. Those had Vertical and Horizontal tracking angle set perfectly by the clip 🤯. No calibration whatsoever.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I used the AT guide for my LP120 back when I swapped out to a new cartridge.

There's a thread over on an audiophile forum about upgrading your LP120 that I used as a basis for some of my own modifications. But, truthfully, I haven't gone too far. I don't really want to rip out the phono pre-amp in case I decide to sell it. I think I'd rather just upgrade the TT itself at that point but who knows.

Posting this vid here for follow-up purposes. I'll rewatch and decide if I want to rip out the pre-amp.

Last edited:
My audiophile friend pushes me towards this turntable when I will get tired with my Dual or it breaks:

Seems really hiend.

BTW new addition to the team. This pressing is phenomenal:

Jaw dropping.

USA press. MP-110 worn out stylus.

M95EDM - old stylus

M95EDM - black diamond low tracker, still hasn't broken in. It's more dynamic than the stylus that it came with, I'm still waiting for it to smooth things out- it has more weight though more than old stylus and worn out Nagaoka, fuller trebles but they are less airy. Things could change after a break in period- I should also set the proper VTA on it. So I may leave it in the drawer for now. I was just curious if it would sound different.

Last edited:
Asked my brother to make me some custom VTA spacers for my headshell in CAD.

Saw a bunch of free STL files with those. So they just need a bit of reediting to fit my headshell.

Then send those in to someone with 3D printer and voilà a bunch of money saved.

Saw a CAD file for those https://www.ebay.com/itm/255381617341

Niice.

Last edited:

Also new Dual sled for headshell- or just headshell as it seems to be called abroad from what I have seen. No adjustments on it whatsoever, just a solid plastic block. I may have had a shitty model with my turntable so I am correcting myself about half-bs stuff I wrote eariler it is indeed handling the horizontal tracking angle reeeally well. I stand corrected. My sled was just kinda funky with springs and stuff.

Plus some test of my turntable with "RPM Speed Wow And Flutter" app available on Google Play Store and Apple Store to test your turntable with your phone built-in sensors.

BRrk34U.png

Insane values for a belt drive and vintage turntable! 0.01% accuracy and 0.09% Wow And Flutter.

Let me know what turntables do you guys have and how your turntables rate in tests with this app, I am curious!

Since I have checked a bunch of new tts and they are all over the place with those 12/24v Made in China motors...

Rega thinks its okay to have 0.75% Speed variations on Planar 1 and 2 🫣.

P.S. I have dropped the spacer thingie altogether. I am hunting for a different vintage Dual turntable right now, direct drive and adjustable arm height up to 8mm (VTA). Should perform in the major leagues from what I see here with my "medicore" model from 1970s. Will inform if something changes in this space. I am just happy that its a popular model and sleds and headshells are widely available!

Also check this stuff out, my dudes.
je0QOHQ.jpg

Arm on my Dual tt.

And here - same patented Dual arm design on gimbal bearing Dual used in the 70s.

Edit: I see they changed it to cardan bearing. It may be a same thing dunno.

New handmade in German turntables with subchasis and Dual like arms. Seems cool. 0.06% Wow And Flutter on belt drive o_O.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Also new Dual sled for headshell- or just headshell as it seems to be called abroad from what I have seen. No adjustments on it whatsoever, just a solid plastic block. I may have had a shitty model with my turntable so I am correcting myself about half-bs stuff I wrote eariler it is indeed handling the horizontal tracking angle reeeally well. I stand corrected. My sled was just kinda funky with springs and stuff.

Plus some test of my turntable with "RPM Speed Wow And Flutter" app available on Google Play Store and Apple Store to test your turntable with your phone built-in sensors.

BRrk34U.png

Insane values for a belt drive and vintage turntable! 0.01% accuracy and 0.09% Wow And Flutter.

Let me know what turntables do you guys have and how your turntables rate in tests with this app, I am curious!

Since I have checked a bunch of new tts and they are all over the place with those 12/24v Made in China motors...

Rega thinks its okay to have 0.75% Speed variations on Planar 1 and 2 🫣.

P.S. I have dropped the spacer thingie altogether. I am hunting for a different vintage Dual turntable right now, direct drive and adjustable arm height up to 8mm (VTA). Should perform in the major leagues from what I see here with my "medicore" model from 1970s. Will inform if something changes in this space. I am just happy that its a popular model and sleds and headshells are widely available!

Also check this stuff out, my dudes.
je0QOHQ.jpg

Arm on my Dual tt.

And here - same patented Dual arm design on gimbal bearing Dual used in the 70s.

Edit: I see they changed it to cardan bearing. It may be a same thing dunno.

New handmade in German turntables with subchasis and Dual like arms. Seems cool. 0.06% Wow And Flutter on belt drive o_O.

Here’s my Audio Technica LP120 w/ the quartz setting enabled.
kzmAwYD.png

Last edited:
Also Maiden, I have tested the Spin Care/Pro Ject Spin Clean vinyl record cleaning machine.

Dunno about the Pro Ject Spin Clean but I have listed it since its similar design.

Here's a video. You use Spin Care just the same, it has the same design, extra set of brushes and rollers are cheaper than Spin Clean's thou.

Okay back to Spin Care... It unfortunately does not have label protecor whatsoever. Brushes are extra tight, it is good for regular records maybe to tight for some heavy pressings, the black plastic just gets finger prints all over (ouch).

Spin Clean could be a higher build with its yellow plastic... Maybe you can wait a bit for some sale for it to drop into similar price range of that of Spin Care?

Spin Care has less cloths out of the box, I think Spin Clean has another set or two.

Drying rack is not as useful as I have thought it would be. I actually miss the additional soft cloths, Spin Clean seems to have.

My cleaning mixture works rather well, no streaks, cleans stuff good, but it can and probably will damage labels since it did on my test LP. Freebie, junk stuff. So its a good thing I did a test.

Anyways I ordered some record label saver from China through AliExpress extra cheap for like 1/5 of a price on regular sites. Its basically two acrylic discs with two big rubber thingies in between and a screw thingie to make a tight seal.

Since label is above the cleaning machine I came into conclusion it will work rather well, still waiting for shipment. But it's like 99% it will work rather well.

I tested the Spin Care fluid, it seems to have Isopropyl Alcohol in it but it has a small dosage so it does not damage the labels but it sesms to leave some streaks (ouch nr two).

So when the label clamp thingie is here I will clean stuff but only with my solution. Period.

Anywas I have found something instead of Tetenal Mirasol 2000 Antistatic and Fotonal, you guys can use to have the same effect with reducing the tension of water and hopefully have a similar antistatic properties, it seems to be widely available abroad.

Here is the drop:

The guy seems to have my kind of formula and use Ilford ILFOTOL instead of Mirasol/Fotonal.

Then the other guy joins in:

He seems to use KODAK PHOTO-FLO instead of Ifotol/Mirasol/Fotonal - same thing apparently.

Edit: I will drop the info if the record saver thingie works with Spin Care/ Spin Clean machine so if anyone here decides to buy it, he will know its not a good idea to use their fluid and also how to mix his record cleaning fluid and that he has to order a label saver too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom